Sean Taylor dead

Nati Ice

Better change would have been to pack up his stuff and move his fiancee and daughter out of harm's way in Miami.

Don't forget that his SUV was sprayed with bullets not too long ago along with the recent break-in in which a knife was left on his bed.

Someone was probably after him and ST probably knew who it was but the "CODE" wouldn't let him tell the police. Oh well.

ANTREL ROLLE SAYS TAYLOR WAS KILLED BY FORMER FRIEND by Michael David Smith

We noted yesterday that there is talk in league circles that Redskins safety Sean Taylor was murdered by a former friend.

Today Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle, who has known Taylor since they were small children and who played with Taylor at the University of Miami, said that is his belief.

"This was not the first incident," Rolle said, per the Associated Press. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," Rolle continued. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."

Rolle's suspicion seems to contradict what Miami police spokesman Robert Parker said today. Parker said police believe Taylor's killing was "more like a random event," adding, "We have no reason to think this was anything other than a burglary or a robbery involving an intruder."

[quote name='#22' post='600615' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:29 AM']I have to restrain myself from using a smiley here, but it appears I'm too real for the "resident realist(!)."

Here's the deal, and my beef with the situation: Instead of using this guy's life as an example to teach kids of what NOT to do, he will be celebrated, honored, etc. This keeps things the way they are. In 25 years you'll have numbers of folks (maybe even athletes) from the same background who will die long before his time because no one ever learned a lesson from Sean Taylor's death.

You know, if it comes out that he was a victim of a random crime, I'll offer a complete apology and send his family a card, or something. Anybody with common sense would figure out that the life he led predisposed him to a death because of violence.

If what I'm saying offends you, just ignore it. Ignore me. There is still a function like that around here, isn't there?
If you're so easily offended, where was the outcry over Martha Fleischmann hitting Big Ben with her Buick (he could have been killed), or BJ's numerous hilarious pics of mass graves in pissburgh?

Also, there is nothing wrong with punctuation.[/quote]

If you are that concerned with teaching children what not to do, it should be done long before a man dies to set an example. You dont know how the man died and for what reason so its completely wrong of you to think that a 24 year old man whom has made mistakes in his past brought on something like this himself.

have you ever gotten a dui? spit in public or on someone? ever smoked a joint or gotten drunk and had an arguement/fight with someone? realistically these are all things that most of the world will do or encounter in their lifetime. the man wasnt a rapist or murderer for christs sake.

oh and there is a difference between being real and going against the grain because you feel you can. anything other than sympathy in this situation should be considered unacceptable.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='600949' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:00 PM']If you are that concerned with teaching children what not to do, it should be done long before a man dies to set an example. You dont know how the man died and for what reason so its completely wrong of you to think that a 24 year old man whom has made mistakes in his past brought on something like this himself.

have you ever gotten a dui? spit in public or on someone? ever smoked a joint or gotten drunk and had an arguement/fight with someone? realistically these are all things that most of the world will do or encounter in their lifetime. the man wasnt a rapist or murderer for christs sake.

oh and there is a difference between being real and going against the grain because you feel you can. anything other than sympathy in this situation should be considered unacceptable.[/quote]

I've said this before, but I'll try to restate this in hopes of appeasing all. I think most of the disagreements in this thread stem from different interpretations of vocabulary.

For instance:

There is a difference between someone saying they're 'not surprised' and they're 'unsympathetic;' it is not the same to say someone was 'predisposed' to a violent demise and saying they 'asked for it.'

To me, the whole dozen pages of cyclic posts about Taylor in various threads seem to revolve around our resident realists stating a reasonable opinion, and others misreading it in one of a few ways, overreacting, and spewing enough bile to offend the former parties into posting again in their defense.

Maybe this will help everyone reach a state at which we can at least agree to disagree; or, if this is what you like, carry on!

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='600960' date='Nov 29 2007, 12:44 AM']I've said this before, but I'll try to restate this in hopes of appeasing all. I think most of the disagreements in this thread stem from different interpretations of vocabulary.

For instance:

There is a difference between someone saying they're 'not surprised' and they're 'unsympathetic;' it is not the same to say someone was 'predisposed' to a violent demise and saying they 'asked for it.'

To me, the whole dozen pages of cyclic posts about Taylor in various threads seem to revolve around our resident realists stating a reasonable opinion, and others misreading it in one of a few ways, overreacting, and spewing enough bile to offend the former parties into posting again in their defense.

Maybe this will help everyone reach a state at which we can at least agree to disagree; or, if this is what you like, carry on![/quote]

#22:
[quote]Instead of using this guy's life as an example to teach kids of what NOT to do, he will be celebrated, honored, etc.[/quote]

That's not "crossing the line"? That's crossing the line in my book

[url="http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/102923"]http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/102923[/url]

[quote]Cards' Rolle: Slain NFL star had many enemies
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Associated Press
TEMPE - Still in disbelief of his childhood friend's shooting death, Arizona Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle vowed Wednesday to make sure Sean Taylor is remembered.

He added he did not believe the killing was part of a burglary gone sour, and that Taylor had many enemies on the streets of Miami.

[u][b]"This was not the first incident," Rolle said. "They've been targeting him for three years now."

Rolle said many former "friends" had it in for Taylor, who was trying to build a more stable life.[/b][/u]

"He really didn't say too much," Rolle said, "but I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."

Rolle and Taylor, whose fathers were policemen in Homestead, Fla., started playing football together when they were 6 years old. They went on to become University of Miami teammates and NFL first-round draft picks. Both wore No. 21, Rolle for the Cardinals, Taylor for the Washington Redskins.
[size=3]
[u][b]Rolle said he hadn't talked to Taylor in a while, and that the Redskin had withdrawn from the crowd he hung around with to build a new life with his girlfriend and young daughter.

"There was so much surrounding him," Rolle said. "Everyone was talking about him bad, so he just had to distance himself from everyone and live a life of his own. ... Within the last year, I've never seen anyone make such a dramatic change,"

Withdrawing from a bad crowd isn't easy, though, Rolle said.

"They say it was a burglary. It absolutely was not a burglary," he said. "Down South, where we're from, there were many people talking to Sean, a lot of jealousy, a lot of angry people.

"Sean, he had a large group of friends, and he no longer hung out with those friends, so you never know where this came from."[/b][/u][/size]

Rolle said his family rushed to the hospital to be with Taylor's family following the shooting.

"It really hasn't hit me yet," Rolle said, "the fact that I'm never going to see his face again, his ways, him performing on the field. My heart goes out to his girlfriend, his family, his little kid."

Rolle will leave immediately after Sunday's game against Cleveland on a flight to Miami, where he will attend Monday's memorial service. But Rolle wants fans to keep remembering Taylor as the player he was and the man he was becoming after some rough years.

"I'm going to keep his name alive," Rolle said. "Every time I make a play, I'm definitely going to mention him. I'm going to represent my 21 as his 21."

Rolle said he and Taylor became friends as 6-year-old teammates for the Homestead Hurricanes. Later, when they played against each other, Rolle was a running back and Taylor a linebacker.

"They'd call a sweep one way," Rolle said. "I would look at him on that side, and I would change the play myself and go the other way because I knew he would try to knock my head off."

Rolle was an All-American as a senior in 2004 and was picked eighth overall by the Cardinals. A year before, Taylor earned similar honors at Miami, then went to Washington as the fifth overall choice.

"I definitely will go out there and play and do everything I can do because I know how much he loved the game," Rolle said. "I don't think there was anyone who lived it or took it as seriously as he did. I just told myself I'm not going to let his name die. We started when we were 6 years old, and we're going to finish it together."[/quote]

...I tend to agree with the guys being called cold-hearted in this thread.

...Where were the 2 threads and 3 pages per thread thoughts on the school teacher who left her child in her car and the kid died very recently, and in Cincy. Now thats a goddamn tragedy. Where were the threads of outrage that NOTHING is being done to this mother criminally, at all.

( [url="http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story.aspx?content_id=503021cf-36d2-495e-b787-eba196475c9f"]http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_ne...87-eba196475c9f[/url] )

...Yet I should be remorseful and sad over Sean Taylor?

...Go get a set of priorities.

[quote][size=3][b]Bengals reflect on Taylor[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE

In his weekly Wednesday morning meeting, which starts the Bengals' work week, Marvin Lewis addressed the shooting death of Redskins safety Sean Taylor.

Lewis didn't tell reporters what he told his players. "That's personal to our guys, what I said," the head coach explained.

But quarterback Carson Palmer offered a summary: "(Lewis) talked about always needing to worry about your surroundings, and who you surround yourself with, because you never know."

Taylor was shot to death in his Miami home early Monday morning. Police on Wednesday remained without a suspect. Taylor died Tuesday in a South Florida hospital.

Friends and Washington Redskins teammates said Taylor had turned his life around. In addition to brushes with the law, Taylor had on-field spitting incidents, including one involving Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh at FedEx Field in a 2004 game.

"He spit on me. I'm not going to lie, but it's over with," Houshmandzadeh said Wednesday. "That is irrelevant. That happened years ago. Was I upset about it? Yeah, I was upset about it and if I had seen him, I probably would have said something to him, but it doesn't matter that that happened.

"In the big scheme of things, what he did to me doesn't compare to what somebody did to him."

The Bengals won 17-10 over the Redskins on Nov. 14, 2004. Taylor was a rookie.

Bengals safety Madieu Williams, also an NFL rookie in 2004, attended the University of Maryland and grew up in the Washington, D.C., area. He met Taylor through college teammates who played with him for the Redskins.

"It's a sad story. It's a tragic situation," Williams said. "Not only is it tragic, but it's scary. It's scary for a guy to be inside his home and for it to happen."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/SPT02/711290331/1066/SPT"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Bengals aware of daily dangers [/b]
Taylor's death a strong reminder [/size]
By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Rashad Jeanty never personally knew Sean Taylor but he certainly knew of Taylor. Jeanty played at Carol City High School in Miami at the same time Taylor was a star at Gulliver Prep in South Florida, and both were top college prospects after finishing their senior seasons in 2000.

"He was a highly-touted guy coming out of high school," said Jeanty, now a starting outside linebacker for the Bengals. "He was a guy I always followed just because of the tremendous player he was and how he played the game."

Taylor died Tuesday morning from a gunshot wound he received at his suburban Miami home on Monday during an apparent break-in. Taylor, 24, was a fourth-year safety with the Washington Redskins who was spending time at home while rehabbing a sprained right knee. Taylor's home had been broken into eight days before the shooting and he was there with his girlfriend and 1-year-old daughter.

Police are still searching for a suspect in the shooting. Players around the NFL are still searching through their shock at the loss of one of their own. Taylor had a history of troubles with law enforcement and NFL policies but by numerous accounts had changed his lifestyle, a big part of which was a commitment to being a father.

He is the second player to be shot to death in less than a year. Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was the victim of a drive-by shooting last New Year's Eve in Denver, hours after the Broncos had finished their regular season with a home loss against San Francisco.

The two incidents drive home a point that professional athletes have to live with as part of their lives: their celebrity can also make them a target.

"Those guys well understand what goes with being who they are," said pissburgh head coach Mike Tomlin during a conference call with Cincinnati media Wednesday. The Bengals and Steelers play in pissburgh Sunday night. "I just hope as a society we won't take a blaming-the-victim approach to it as if these guys should do something that other people don't do as far as protecting themselves in their homes. We should be outraged by what happened to this young man. He was at home, sleeping at bed. He was the victim of a heinous crime."

The Bengals, as much as any other team in the NFL, are cognizant of how negative the publicity light can shine on them. The team had 10 different players arrested in a span of 14 months. Not all of the charges were proven in court but the repeated incidents made the Bengals name synonymous with transgressions across professional sports.

Wide receiver Chris Henry is three games removed from serving an 8-game NFL suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy. Henry was arrested four times in three different states, including pleading guilty to a concealed weapons charge in Orlando, Fla., in which he was accused of pulling a weapon during a fight. Henry received a sentence of 100 hours of community service and two years probation for his plea agreement.

"It makes you think about a lot," said Henry on Wednesday about Taylor's death. "You have to realize that your life can be taken at any time and you have to cherish that and be smart. I just hate to hear that. It hurt when I heard about it."

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis addressed the team Wednesday about the situation involving Taylor.

"He had to. He'd be fool if he didn't," said running back Rudi Johnson. "When something like that happens you have to address the team. You don't have to call an emergency meeting but, like today, the first time you meet with the team you definitely want to address it because it could happen to anybody. You want to make sure that people are conscious and aware of what's going on."

NFL policy prohibits players from possessing firearms while performing a service for their team or the league. Players who violate the policy are subject to league discipline, including suspension. The league does not prohibit players from legally owning guns for hunting or protection purposes, although it strongly urges players to not do so.

"The NFL has told players to protect themselves, stay away from firearms and do all of this stuff but then you have a guy who is attacked in his home," said Bengals defensive tackle John Thornton. "I don't know if he had any weapons in his house, but as a player you start to think 'Should I carry weapons? Should I protect myself?' and you see why some guys do. That's the thing you worry about. I'm thinking about my family."

Miami-Dade police are still investigating Taylor's death and if there is any connection to the previous break-in at his home. On Wednesday, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said there were no indications that Taylor knew his assailant or that he was being targeted.

The Bengals have four players from Miami on their roster: Jeanty, wide receivers Chad Johnson and Glenn Holt and cornerback Blue Adams. They may not be so quick to believe that initial report by the police even though they have no direct knowledge of the case. They do have direct knowledge of the area.

"I'm from Miami, so you know how things work down there," said Jeanty. "It's definitely not safe. There are a lot of people who think you owe them something just because you grew up with them. I don't know what happened, but just from being down there and knowing the culture I can kind of suspect what it's about."

Said Adams: "People think you've got millions and that a couple of thousand won't hurt you. When you don't give it to them, well the next thing is to take it from you. Sometimes they're not taking no for an answer and they're not leaving you to make a police report. It's rough, it's real rough.

"My heart goes out to his loved ones and everyone that knew him."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/SPT03/711290306/1022"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../711290306/1022[/url]

[quote name='Quaker' post='600992' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:58 AM']...I tend to agree with the guys being called cold-hearted in this thread.

...Where were the 2 threads and 3 pages per thread thoughts on the school teacher who left her child in her car and the kid died very recently, and in Cincy. Now thats a goddamn tragedy. Where were the threads of outrage that NOTHING is being done to this mother criminally, at all.

( [url="http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_news/story.aspx?content_id=503021cf-36d2-495e-b787-eba196475c9f"]http://www.local12.com/content/breaking_ne...87-eba196475c9f[/url] )

...Go get a set of priorities.[/quote]

I'd be happy to rage about that bitch who killed her daughter in the heat, even after being verbally warned about leaving her in the car the previous week. A synopsis of why nothing happened: she baked her daughter in the back of a mercedes, thus was not a poor, and in a twist of corruption such as you'd only expect in Italy, her attorney was someone from the county government, working in the same office as the prosecutor.

I'm still mad about it.

[quote name='Quaker' post='600992' date='Nov 29 2007, 05:58 AM']...I tend to agree with the guys being called cold-hearted in this thread.

...Go get a set of priorities.[/quote]

that would be b/c everyone agreed w/ everyone that the lady who left her baby in the car was very fucked up...

having someone change their life around is hard as shit and is very commendable... maybe all of this is b/c he died and maybe their making it up, but it is cold hearted to assume that b/c someone was a thug or always in trouble in the past, that they can't overcome that and become a better man... it usually starts with having a kid, and most people that say he has changed point to that moment... give him, and his friends, and his family a break and let him rest in peace... let him become an example...

[quote][size=3][b]NFL star murder probe shifts to Fort Myers [/b][/size]
Last updated on: 11/30/2007 12:19:29 PM by NBC2 News

FORT MYERS: Sources tell us that three people have been detained in Lee County in connection with the murder of NFL star Sean Taylor.

Detectives from the Miami area are in Lee County participating in the investigation.

Published reports say investigators believe the suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth.

The names of those detained have not yet been released. They were picked up by authorities Friday morning.

Taylor, a defensive back for the Washington Redskins, died early Tuesday morning after being shot in an overnight robbery Monday at his Palmetto Bay home. Palmetto Bay is in the Miami area.

Miami-Dade Police say the investigation into the murder of NFL star Sean Taylor has led them to the Fort Myers area, according to WPLG-TV in Miami.

Authorities are releasing few details in the investigation in Lee County.

Check back to this site for updates - click the "refresh" button or hit the F5 key for the latest information.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=16112&z=3&p="]http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle....&z=3&p=[/url]

That's the County that I live in :o

Heres an update from the Miami Herald website:

[quote][b]4 arrested in Taylor homicide[/b]

LEHIGH ACRES -- Miami-Dade police and prosecutors have arrested four people in connection with this week's slaying of NFL star Sean Taylor.

[b]The men: Jason Mitchell, 19, Eric Rivera, 17, Charles Wardlow, 18 and Venjah Hunte, 20. They will be charged with murder.[/b]

Miami-Dade Director Robert Parker said Friday night that the men targeted the house in a burglary and did not think Taylor was home.

''They were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone,'' Parker said.

Relatives of Mitchell, 19, told The Miami Herald that he attended a birthday bash for Sasha Johnson, who is Sean Taylor's sister. Johnson dates Christopher Devon Wardlow, 21, Mitchell's family said. His brother, Charles Wardlow, 18, was also being interviewed by Miami-Dade homicide detectives

According to Scottie Mitchell, 19, Jason's twin brother, Johnson and Christopher Devon Wardlow invited Jason Mitchell to the birthday party within the past two months. He even did work around Taylor's house, Scottie Mitchell said: ``He cut his grass and everything.''

Scottie Mitchell said he believes his brother was home in Lehigh Acres the night of the murder.

Sasha Johnson turned 21 on Oct. 1. The twins have been friends with Christopher Devon Wardlow for about eight years, Scottie Mitchell said, adding that he does not know Charles Wardlow or the 17-year-old.

Frank Fuller, who identified himself as the grandfather of Charles Wardlow, answered the door at his home in a hardscrabble area of east Fort Meyers, and told a Miami Herald reporter: ``We don't know anything. We don't know where Charles is. We haven't seen him for hours. And even if we did [know], we wouldn't talk to you about it.''

Relatives say Jason Mitchell worked at a Bob Evans restaurant and had gone to a job interview at UPS Friday morning before being picked up by police.

FDLE agents and at least two Miami-Dade homicide squads picked up the three in the Fort Myers area Friday morning. At least two others are being sought for questioning.

Police believe bragging about Taylor's wealth may have attracted the intruders to the NFL star's home. Taylor was shot early Monday by an burglar who surprised him in the bedroom of his Palmetto Bay home.

Taylor wielded a machete as he tried to protect his fiancée, Jackie Garcia, and their 18-month-old baby girl. The two were hiding under the covers as Taylor was shot.

One bullet pierced the wall. The other struck Taylor in the groin, severing his femoral artery and causing massive blood loss. He died at about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Pedro Taylor and his family have set up a memorial scholarship in the name of his son and his granddaughter to help high school and college students.

Miami Herald staff writers Trenton Daniel and Larry Lebowitz contributed to this report.

Source: [url="http://www.miamiherald.com/1246/story/326903.html"]http://www.miamiherald.com/1246/story/326903.html[/url][/quote]

Also two of the guys arrested had myspace pages:

[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=54829123"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=54829123[/url]
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=170862408"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=170862408[/url]
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=251964564"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=251964564[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='602559' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:19 PM']I think its pretty cool, yet kind of dangerous, that the Redskins defense is going to play their first snap of the game with only 10 players on the field.[/quote]

Cool, but not a completely original idea, I think I remember a story of some high school team that lost two of its guys (deaths) that did it but with 9.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='602665' date='Dec 2 2007, 04:31 PM']Cool, but not a completely original idea, I think I remember a story of some high school team that lost two of its guys (deaths) that did it but with 9.[/quote]
you are correct. I'm not sure about for how long they played with only 9 on defense, but didn't they play the entire season like that and actually fair pretty well?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='602559' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:19 PM']I think its pretty cool, yet kind of dangerous, that the Redskins defense is going to play their first snap of the game with only 10 players on the field.[/quote]

listening to espn now, how on earth did Joe Gibbs not know this was going to happen, but ESPN did?

[quote name='Agent Orange' post='602738' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:12 PM']you are correct. I'm not sure about for how long they played with only 9 on defense, but didn't they play the entire season like that and actually fair pretty well?[/quote]

I think it was only for the 1st play of every game that season, not sure though.

[quote name='Agent Orange' post='604102' date='Dec 3 2007, 05:36 PM']i'm cant find out for sure, google is giving me nothing[/quote]

it was one of those sunday morning things dont remember who did the report or what school it was though, if I remember right the two kids died by a drunk driver

Archived