FedEx Orange
Virginia Tech vs. Kansas Miami Jan. 3, 2008, 8 p.m. FOX

International
Rutgers vs. Ball State Toronto Jan. 5, 2008, Noon ESPN2 HD

GMAC
Bowling Green vs. Tulsa Mobile, Ala. Jan. 6, 2008, 8 p.m. ESPN HD

Allstate BCS Championship Game
LSU vs. Ohio State New Orleans Jan. 7, 2008, 8 p.m. FOX

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='604608' date='Dec 4 2007, 04:54 PM']Wisconsin v. Tennessee and Michigan v. Florida should give a small glimpse at how LSU v. OSU will shape up.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Just because they are all B10/SEC matchups does not mean the games will reflect the qualities, strengths and weaknesses of other teams. OSU had a much better defense than either M_chigan or Wisconsin, and OSU is much better coached than M_chigan. And I would say Florida's offense is different from, and better than LSU's, and LSU has a better defense than Florida, and much better than Tennessee.

[quote name='Jason' post='604617' date='Dec 4 2007, 05:28 PM']I respectfully disagree. Just because they are all B10/SEC matchups does not mean the games will reflect the qualities, strengths and weaknesses of other teams. OSU had a much better defense than either M_chigan or Wisconsin, and OSU is much better coached than M_chigan. And I would say Florida's offense is different from, and better than LSU's, and LSU has a better defense than Florida, and much better than Tennessee.[/quote]

hence why I said a SMALL glimpse. :wave:

this doesn't do me much good. I watch one bowl game a year and that is the buckeyes. Once people stop attending and watching bowl games, we will have a playoff. It's up to the consumer and right now the consumer is buying the BCS and it's bowl games no matter how much they bitch. Hit them in the pocket book and then they will change.

I hate the BCS. I hate hearing crap about ‘preserving the integrity and tradition of the Bowl system.’ Yeah, I’m up to my ears in the tradition of the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl, and who can forget the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl? I’m glad it only comes once each year because my heart couldn’t withstand the excitement of twice each year.

If you throw out OSU this season, which 2 teams play in the BCS from:
LSU 11-2
Virginia Tech 11-2
Oklahoma 11-2
Georgia 10-2
Missouri 11-2
USC 10-2
Kansas 11-1
WVU 10-2

Here’s my completely uneducated suggestion:

Instead of 12 games, only 8 games, maybe one of which is non-conference.
Then I don’t have to watch OSU play Youngstown State, Akron, or Kent State. Or LSU play Middle Tennessee, Tulane, or Louisiana Tech.
Every week counts, my butt! If you lose late it counts more than if you lose early, ain’t that right, West Virginia?

No more conference championship games. No more bye weeks during the season.

Five week playoff system (+ 8 regular season games= 13 games. LSU will play 14 games this year.)

Top 32 teams get in playoff. If your school is #33-64 which won’t get Bowl money under the playoff system…TOUGH!

Right now there are 32 Bowl games scheduled. With a 32 team, 5 week playoff you’ll need to play 31 Bowl games. I won’t miss the Poinsettia Bowl. You can keep current rotation of BCS games with the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange Bowl hosting National Championship game.

After 13 games and a playoff you get a true National Champion.

The major obstacle is money. OSU would lose 4-5 million in lost revenue for each home game they don’t schedule. This could be made up by winning bowl games in the playoff system. Also, where would the Bowl games be played? Sun Bowl Stadium only holds about 51,000. There are lots of other stadiums that hold more and can generate more revenue.

Not perfect, but an improvement for the fans.

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='607662' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:24 PM']I hate the BCS. I hate hearing crap about ‘preserving the integrity and tradition of the Bowl system.’ Yeah, I’m up to my ears in the tradition of the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl, and who can forget the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl? I’m glad it only comes once each year because my heart couldn’t withstand the excitement of twice each year.

If you throw out OSU this season, which 2 teams play in the BCS from:
LSU 11-2
Virginia Tech 11-2
Oklahoma 11-2
Georgia 10-2
Missouri 11-2
USC 10-2
Kansas 11-1
WVU 10-2

Here’s my completely uneducated suggestion:

Instead of 12 games, only 8 games, maybe one of which is non-conference.
Then I don’t have to watch OSU play Youngstown State, Akron, or Kent State. Or LSU play Middle Tennessee, Tulane, or Louisiana Tech.
Every week counts, my butt! If you lose late it counts more than if you lose early, ain’t that right, West Virginia?

No more conference championship games. No more bye weeks during the season.

Five week playoff system (+ 8 regular season games= 13 games. LSU will play 14 games this year.)

Top 32 teams get in playoff. If your school is #33-64 which won’t get Bowl money under the playoff system…TOUGH!

Right now there are 32 Bowl games scheduled. With a 32 team, 5 week playoff you’ll need to play 31 Bowl games. I won’t miss the Poinsettia Bowl. You can keep current rotation of BCS games with the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange Bowl hosting National Championship game.

After 13 games and a playoff you get a true National Champion.

The major obstacle is money. OSU would lose 4-5 million in lost revenue for each home game they don’t schedule. This could be made up by winning bowl games in the playoff system. Also, where would the Bowl games be played? Sun Bowl Stadium only holds about 51,000. There are lots of other stadiums that hold more and can generate more revenue.

Not perfect, but an improvement for the fans.[/quote]

You don't really have to kill the bowl games. They are meaningless games anyway. take your 6 league champions and 2 wild cards or take all the league champions and the rest wild cards and have a 16 game playoff. In the first, more then likely, teams like Boise state and Hawaii get screwed so maybe you do a 10 team playoff with the 4 wild card teams playing the week before the playoffs (kind of like a play-in game). All the teams that miss the playoffs can still go to their meaningless games. As for your big bowls, they pick up the Semis and the championship game, the 4th gets the 3 & 4th place game. They would rotate who gets all games.

In my second senario, giving all confrence champs a shot, it's going to cause some fluff games in the first round, but so does the NCAA tournament. Imagine if North Texas won their league and then beat LSU, or OSU for all you haters, in the first round. How sweet would that be? Of course you wouldn't use the bowl system until the Semis again, similar to listed above. The home team would be the higher seed, creating more revenue for the universities. 1st two rounds would be home games, last two would be in bowl games.

In truth though, non of these playoff games are going to happen in the near future. The best hope is a plus 1 game. This year that would probably put OSU verse Oklahoma and LSU verse Virginia Tech which needless to say would be entertaining. The down side is you are still leaving out Georgia, USC, and West Virginia.

Archived