Jim Tressel WOW Statistic

Jason

[quote name='Jumpy' post='604728' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:56 PM']Got his autograph today. He was at Lakota west talking to a sophmore player and the coach. My mom works in the office, got his auto for me and said he is the classiest man she ever met.[/quote]
Travels to a lot of high schools. He was just at Princeton Monday.

[quote name='Jason' post='604697' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:42 PM']Jim Tressel has been a head coach a total of 22 years. He is going to coach his [b]9th[/b] National Championship game. 9 of 22 is 40.91% of the time. That is staggering![/quote]
Gets the best players money can buy...

Look at the shit that occurred while at Youngstown State. He goes to OSU, lo and behold, there are all kinds of investigations within 2 years of being there as well. As they say, where there is smoke there is usually fire. And the smoke just keeps following him around.

1181 - that is a shot at OSU.

What the hell - it is a slow Wednesday and I thought I'd liven up the conversation!!! :P

He is a good coach though.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604815' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:05 AM']Gets the best players money can buy...

Look at the shit that occurred while at Youngstown State. He goes to OSU, lo and behold, there are all kinds of investigations within 2 years of being there as well. As they say, where there is smoke there is usually fire. And the smoke just keeps following him around.

What the hell - it is a slow Wednesday and I thought I'd liven up the conversation!!! :P

He is a good coach though.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//37.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='604825' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:28 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/37.gif[/img][/quote]
heh, heh, heh...

I'm just shitting with you. I really do think he is a good coach. :no ninja:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604815' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:05 AM']Gets the best players money can buy...

That has nothing to do with John Cooper at all does it? I mean the guys getting in trouble were his recruits. The only player to get into real trouble since Clarret was Henton.....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='604830' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:58 AM']That has nothing to do with John Cooper at all does it? I mean the guys getting in trouble were his recruits. The only player to get into real trouble since Clarret was Henton.....[/quote]
Just for the record, I was going to let it go.

Tressel arrived in 2001. There were guys getting arrested until at least 2005.

Pretty good read. I think it covers both sides of Tressel pretty well.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/03tressel.html?pagewanted=print"]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/sports/n...agewanted=print[/url]

And, this hasn't been updated since May of 2005.

[url="http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stories/20050526/football/2145095.html"]http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stori...ll/2145095.html[/url]

Jealousy is a terrible thing. The NCAA investigated the Clarrett incident and found no basis for sanctions against OSU.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604843' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:39 AM']Just for the record, I was going to let it go.

Tressel arrived in 2001. There were guys getting arrested until at least 2005.

Pretty good read. I think it covers both sides of Tressel pretty well.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/03tressel.html?pagewanted=print"]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/sports/n...agewanted=print[/url]

And, this hasn't been updated since May of 2005.

[url="http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stories/20050526/football/2145095.html"]http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stori...ll/2145095.html[/url][/quote]

I forget...how many years do student athletes go to college on average? 2001 to 2005 ...four years..that sounds about right.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL; Tennessee Violations Reported

Published: September 27, 1999
While Tennessee was winning the national college football championship last season, high-level administrators in the athletic department were alerted to cases of academic fraud involving several athletics, ESPN.com reported last night.

The Web site said it had obtained internal documents showing that four tutors may have written papers and done school work for at least five football players, in violation of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules.

However, the report continued, none of that information was passed on to the campus authorities charged with investigating possible rules infractions.

After hearing of ESPN.com's findings, Tennessee officials suspended the redshirt freshmen Leonard Scott, Reggie Ridley, Keyon Whiteside and Ryan Rowe before the Volunteer's game against Memphis on Saturday. Athletic Director Doug Dickey said in a news release that the players would be held out of competition until school officials completed their own investigation.

And in all honesty, do you really think a coach can change the culture of a program in under 2 years?

Has'nt the Vols coach had some similar problems the last few years?

[url="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9401E7D7143CF934A1575AC0A96F958260"]Link[/url]

October 22, 2003

Is the Tennessee program in trouble?

An alleged $50,000 line of credit for Nashville's John Henderson while he was playing for the Vols. $30,000 to Henderson teammate Travis Henry. $2,200 handed to Lineman Fred Weary.

These are allegations made by Alabama-based attorney Thomas Gallion. Gallion claims to have documents proving Vol head man Phillip Fulmer signed a $50,000 line of credit for Henderson at a Nashville SunTrust Bank, clearly an NCAA violation. He claims to have a sworn affidavit from a former Vol walk-on stating former players received improper benefits while still members of the team.

Former Vol and Cincinnati Bengal wideout and now Henderson's agent, Tim McGee, told the Knoxville News-Sentinel this week that, "Most of the information has some truth ... but when you don't represent the proper time and proper date, it looks illegal. The Western Union transfers were sent for payroll and recruiting expenses. But I didn't have any contract agreement with the players."

The former walk-on apparently served as a "runner" to deliver funds from McGee to Henderson and maybe others, is thought to be Rommie Hawkins. McGee said he has wired money to Hawkins in the past, but not with the intent to give to Vol players still on the team.

Money was sent, but McGee does not claim to know whose pockets it landed in. McGee also claims the line of credit was set up on January 3, 2002, just after the Vols participation in the Citrus Bowl which ended Henderson's college eligibility. Gallion claims he started an account for Henderson, but after the Citrus Bowl game. "And I have all the documents to prove it", says McGee.

New Tennessee athletics director Mike Hamilton has initiated an internal investigation. "Any time there is anything of this nature, even if it is Internet rumors, we check out anything in relation to our athletic department," Hamilton said.

Gallion said he planned to turn his findings over to the NCAA, but Hamilton said Wednesday the NCAA has not contacted him.
October 24:

Rommie Hawkins, the former Tennessee walk-on who was said to be providing money to UT players with coach Phillip Fulmer's knowledge, denied any wrong doing in a statement released Thursday.

"Contrary to what has been reported, at no time did I sign or swear to an affidavit; nor did I give a sworn oral ststement. I did not take a polygraph or lie detector test," Hawkins wrote. "Absolutely at no time did I claim, or even remotely suggest that coach Phillip Fulmer was in any way involved in obtaining money for John Henderson. Furthermore, I do not have any knowledge of any transaction between Coach Fulmer and John Henderson."

Last week, Alabama attorney Tommy Gallion appeared on Paul Finebaum's radio show in Alabama and read an affidavit he said was obtained from an investigator present at a meeting involving Hawkins, Hawkins' attorney and Memphis attorney Phillip Shanks.

Gallion said Hawkins told Fulmer about an improper $50,000 bank account setup for then UT defensive tackle John Henderson. Gallion also claims former running back Travis Henry received extra benefits.
Folks, when one wallows with the hogs, one gets stink on himself. Anyone who believes college athletics at the highest level is squeeky clean and without payola, then one has his head in the sand. The name of the game is big bucks. The players play for the future bucks. The coaches have million dollar contracts, schools like Tennessee get millions in TV money and conference money. And everyone wants a piece of the action.

Coaches have less personal contact with players than they once did, and it's probably a good thing as they would learn more than they want to know. The John Hendersons of the college world are playing for the NFL draft. Agents are willing to take chances in order to sign top draftees and if that means a little under the table before their college playing days are over, it is worth the risk.

Tell us one thing in which so much money changes hands as it does in big time college football and basketball, that organized crime has not gotten involved in. People like Hawkins, Gallion and Shanks are mobsters. They are looking to feather their own nests and most present-day athletes are not smart enough to figure out they are being used and abused. They can't figure it out because someone is continually greasing their palms and that's all they care about. Too many sports agents fit right in with the Don King's of the world who would sell his mom if the money was right.

Fulmer is clean, but he sometimes has to hurry home and take a shower. Why in the world would he risk so much so that a John Henderson can buy a car and gold necklaces. He is a hell of a lot smarter that the whole batch of the Hawkins, Gallion and crew. Gallion and his buddy Shanks are two-bit, blood-sucking parsites who have played Rommie Hawkins for the fool. --

[url="http://www.collegecharlie.com/vols.html"]Link[/url]

Went to OSU, Love Tressel but you guys are crazy to not believe that EVERY school does illegal / dirty recruiting... it's the nature of the beast.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Tressel ever got caught doing some dirtiness (cough Mo Mo, cough Youngstown state) but none the less, he's a great recruiter and great HC

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='605018' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:33 PM']I forget...how many years do student athletes go to college on average? 2001 to 2005 ...four years..that sounds about right.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL; Tennessee Violations Reported

Published: September 27, 1999
While Tennessee was winning the national college football championship last season, high-level administrators in the athletic department were alerted to cases of academic fraud involving several athletics, ESPN.com reported last night.

The Web site said it had obtained internal documents showing that four tutors may have written papers and done school work for at least five football players, in violation of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules.

However, the report continued, none of that information was passed on to the campus authorities charged with investigating possible rules infractions.

After hearing of ESPN.com's findings, Tennessee officials suspended the redshirt freshmen Leonard Scott, Reggie Ridley, Keyon Whiteside and Ryan Rowe before the Volunteer's game against Memphis on Saturday. Athletic Director Doug Dickey said in a news release that the players would be held out of competition until school officials completed their own investigation.

And in all honesty, do you really think a coach can change the culture of a program in under 2 years?

Has'nt the Vols coach had some similar problems the last few years?

[url="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9401E7D7143CF934A1575AC0A96F958260"]Link[/url][/quote]

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='605021' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:42 PM']October 22, 2003

Is the Tennessee program in trouble?

An alleged $50,000 line of credit for Nashville's John Henderson while he was playing for the Vols. $30,000 to Henderson teammate Travis Henry. $2,200 handed to Lineman Fred Weary.

These are allegations made by Alabama-based attorney Thomas Gallion. Gallion claims to have documents proving Vol head man Phillip Fulmer signed a $50,000 line of credit for Henderson at a Nashville SunTrust Bank, clearly an NCAA violation. He claims to have a sworn affidavit from a former Vol walk-on stating former players received improper benefits while still members of the team.

Former Vol and Cincinnati Bengal wideout and now Henderson's agent, Tim McGee, told the Knoxville News-Sentinel this week that, "Most of the information has some truth ... but when you don't represent the proper time and proper date, it looks illegal. The Western Union transfers were sent for payroll and recruiting expenses. But I didn't have any contract agreement with the players."

The former walk-on apparently served as a "runner" to deliver funds from McGee to Henderson and maybe others, is thought to be Rommie Hawkins. McGee said he has wired money to Hawkins in the past, but not with the intent to give to Vol players still on the team.

Money was sent, but McGee does not claim to know whose pockets it landed in. McGee also claims the line of credit was set up on January 3, 2002, just after the Vols participation in the Citrus Bowl which ended Henderson's college eligibility. Gallion claims he started an account for Henderson, but after the Citrus Bowl game. "And I have all the documents to prove it", says McGee.

New Tennessee athletics director Mike Hamilton has initiated an internal investigation. "Any time there is anything of this nature, even if it is Internet rumors, we check out anything in relation to our athletic department," Hamilton said.

Gallion said he planned to turn his findings over to the NCAA, but Hamilton said Wednesday the NCAA has not contacted him.
October 24:

Rommie Hawkins, the former Tennessee walk-on who was said to be providing money to UT players with coach Phillip Fulmer's knowledge, denied any wrong doing in a statement released Thursday.

"Contrary to what has been reported, at no time did I sign or swear to an affidavit; nor did I give a sworn oral ststement. I did not take a polygraph or lie detector test," Hawkins wrote. "Absolutely at no time did I claim, or even remotely suggest that coach Phillip Fulmer was in any way involved in obtaining money for John Henderson. Furthermore, I do not have any knowledge of any transaction between Coach Fulmer and John Henderson."

Last week, Alabama attorney Tommy Gallion appeared on Paul Finebaum's radio show in Alabama and read an affidavit he said was obtained from an investigator present at a meeting involving Hawkins, Hawkins' attorney and Memphis attorney Phillip Shanks.

Gallion said Hawkins told Fulmer about an improper $50,000 bank account setup for then UT defensive tackle John Henderson. Gallion also claims former running back Travis Henry received extra benefits.
Folks, when one wallows with the hogs, one gets stink on himself. Anyone who believes college athletics at the highest level is squeeky clean and without payola, then one has his head in the sand. The name of the game is big bucks. The players play for the future bucks. The coaches have million dollar contracts, schools like Tennessee get millions in TV money and conference money. And everyone wants a piece of the action.

Coaches have less personal contact with players than they once did, and it's probably a good thing as they would learn more than they want to know. The John Hendersons of the college world are playing for the NFL draft. Agents are willing to take chances in order to sign top draftees and if that means a little under the table before their college playing days are over, it is worth the risk.

Tell us one thing in which so much money changes hands as it does in big time college football and basketball, that organized crime has not gotten involved in. People like Hawkins, Gallion and Shanks are mobsters. They are looking to feather their own nests and most present-day athletes are not smart enough to figure out they are being used and abused. They can't figure it out because someone is continually greasing their palms and that's all they care about. Too many sports agents fit right in with the Don King's of the world who would sell his mom if the money was right.

Fulmer is clean, but he sometimes has to hurry home and take a shower. Why in the world would he risk so much so that a John Henderson can buy a car and gold necklaces. He is a hell of a lot smarter that the whole batch of the Hawkins, Gallion and crew. Gallion and his buddy Shanks are two-bit, blood-sucking parsites who have played Rommie Hawkins for the fool. --

[url="http://www.collegecharlie.com/vols.html"]Link[/url][/quote]
Fellas... I'm not the one here praising Fulmer as God reincarnated as a pumpkin. Have you ever, ever heard me claim anything about Phillip Fulmer? One time?

I'm reading how Tressel is God in a sweater vest, I present a couple arguments (after I was going to leave it alone but someone tried to write it off to Cooper's players), and points are being brought up that don't pertain to Tressel or dispute what Tressel has done. And, this same type of shit happened at Youngstown State too.

As for Fulmer's issues, I guess I'll use the OSU fan line of reasoning - the school and NCAA investigated and found nothing so it didn't happen... ;)

Oh, and to whomever pulled the story that quotes Tommy Gallion about 40 times, get a better source than that. That guy is an Alabama booster and has sued Tennessee and Fulmer for everything up to picking his own nose. Hell, the Alabama courts were throwing his cases out.

As for jealousy of the OSU program... get a grip. Is it because Tennessee has never lost to OSU? Hell OSU is 3-10-1 lifetime against the SEC... If I was going to be jealous of a college football program it'd be more along the lines of Florida, USC, Oklahoma... not Ohio State. Tennessee has won a BCS title (as has OSU), they're an SEC Championship game away from playing for anther in 2001, no Championship game and we're playing Nebraska in the Rose Bowl. Sounds like the Big Ten... I've openly admitted I've always had a dislike for OSU and honestly never knew why really but my brother-in-laws' love for the Buckeyes has only deepened it!!! We have these same arguments at every family get-together!

Again, I'm not on here claiming Fulmer is the second coming... Folks are of Tressel and it appears all I'm seeing here are comparisons of what Tressel does to what Fulmer does.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='605024' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:53 PM']Went to OSU, Love Tressel but you guys are crazy to not believe that EVERY school does illegal / dirty recruiting... it's the nature of the beast.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Tressel ever got caught doing some dirtiness (cough Mo Mo, cough Youngstown state) but none the less, [b]he's a great recruiter and great HC[/b][/quote]
Agreed.

Archived