!!! Official Rams at Bengals Gameday thread !!!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='606599' date='Dec 9 2007, 04:52 PM']DJax is one slow step away from being rennamed Ohalete.
Jeez, the guy made some plays today, whoopty-do!
It doesn't make up for the many, many plays he's been burned on that helped result in our 5-8 record.[/quote]
and how many of those plays have actually been his fault? i recall multiple of them being leon and joseph not doing their job. our team doesnt go out every play and make djax cover the # 1 WR 1 on 1. usually he is there to help, but its idiotic to expect him to do it himself. ive also seen madeiu get burned way more than djax. and justin smith is the worst. and djax seems to make some plays every week. you people just focus on the bad because you all want to blame it on one person. if we had our LBs healthy we wouldnt even need Djax up there to make those tackles and he would be able to drop further back in coverage.

[quote name='jojorules' post='606615' date='Dec 9 2007, 05:50 PM']How about JoJo kicking ass on "D" and Teams all day long today??!!? Dexter Jackson might be a prickhead, attitude-wise (my buddy in the front-office says) but he dropped SJackson in the backfield and sealed the game in crunch time!!![/quote]
So....was it Jonathon Joseph or Dexter Jackson that had a good game?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='606621' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:08 PM']So....was it Jonathon Joseph or Dexter Jackson that had a good game?[/quote]

Joseph had a good [i]game[/i], DJax had a couple of good [i]plays[/i]With Chinny and Marvin White coming into the picture (and the insane and intoxicating Polamalu rumor floating) I say get rid of DJax (and maybe even Madieu--depending on the circumstances).

Hey when Rudi or Carson have shitty games you might want to consider maybe checking out the guys they refer to as the offensive line. I mean I'm not really sure who they are or what they do, but they line up in front of both the QB and RB so they might be important... Yeh like, how much did we give Levi Jones in his retirement bonus?

You might also want to consider that part (not all, mind you) of Rudi's problem might have something to do with making him run outside... Not exactly what he was good at when he was kicking ass. Then DeDe comes in and runs the pitch play effectively and the consensus is that he's a badass and Rudi sucks. There at the end of the game Rudi was running it up the gut for 10+ a go, but we'll just ignore that, right?

Rudi isn't as bad as everyone thinks, DeDe isn't as good, and the only thing wrong with Carson Palmer is that he's got Levi Gone-Fishin' Jones "protecting" his blind side.

Also I'd like to commend damn near everyone in the stadium for booing the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 33 late in a game we're leading by one score. Fire Marvin Lewis!

[quote name='T-Dub' post='606631' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:39 PM']Hey when Rudi or Carson have shitty games you might want to consider maybe checking out the guys they refer to as the offensive line. I mean I'm not really sure who they are or what they do, but they line up in front of both the QB and RB so they might be important... Yeh like, how much did we give Levi Jones in his retirement bonus?

You might also want to consider that part (not all, mind you) of Rudi's problem might have something to do with making him run outside... Not exactly what he was good at when he was kicking ass. Then DeDe comes in and runs the pitch play effectively and the consensus is that he's a badass and Rudi sucks. There at the end of the game Rudi was running it up the gut for 10+ a go, but we'll just ignore that, right?

Rudi isn't as bad as everyone thinks, DeDe isn't as good, and the only thing wrong with Carson Palmer is that he's got Levi Gone-Fishin' Jones "protecting" his blind side.

Also I'd like to commend damn near everyone in the stadium for booing the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 33 late in a game we're leading by one score. Fire Marvin Lewis![/quote]

I'm curious if anyone thinks our Center is part of our OL woes, as well. I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with Bluto, and curious how much of our running & passing problems come down to problems with our Center play.

-jd

i think ti helped that djax didnt play every single snap. i think it benefited him and the team rotating the 3 safeties.

[quote name='doogles' post='606634' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:43 PM']I'm curious if anyone thinks our Center is part of our OL woes, as well. I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with Bluto, and curious how much of our running & passing problems come down to problems with our Center play.

-jd[/quote]
im 100% behind C being the issue. he seems to get pwned all the time. then on the final drive he was pwning the DT and we ran the ball really well.

[quote name='jojorules' post='606625' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:15 PM']Joseph had a good [i]game[/i], DJax had a couple of good [i]plays[/i]With Chinny and Marvin White coming into the picture [b](and the insane and intoxicating Polamalu rumor floating) [/b]I say get rid of DJax (and maybe even Madieu--depending on the circumstances).[/quote]

Care to expand on that?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='606636' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:45 PM']i think ti helped that djax didnt play every single snap. i think it benefited him and the team rotating the 3 safeties.

im 100% behind C being the issue. he seems to get pwned all the time. then on the final drive he was pwning the DT and we ran the ball really well.[/quote]

Are there any great Centers in FA this year?

-jd

[quote name='T-Dub' post='606638' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:46 PM']Not that I've given up on Bluto but I do think we're still missing Rich Braham.[/quote]

Word to the 2nd power.

Never had any faith in Bluto to begin with. He's just being exposed for what he is: a MAC center trying to play with the big boys. So was Brock Guitierrez. He is hopelessly overmatched.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' post='606640' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:50 PM']Care to expand on that?[/quote]

I've heard totally unsubstantiated rumors that Polamalu hates his team and wants to reunite with his college roommate and be the Bob Sanders of our defense, when his contract is up next year.

[quote name='jojorules' post='606656' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:08 PM']I've heard totally unsubstantiated rumors that Polamalu hates his team and wants to reunite with his college roommate and be the Bob Sanders of our defense, when his contract is up next year.[/quote]

Frostee Rucker?

:ninja:

[quote name='T-Dub' post='606631' date='Dec 9 2007, 06:39 PM']Hey when Rudi or Carson have shitty games you might want to consider maybe checking out the guys they refer to as the offensive line. I mean I'm not really sure who they are or what they do, but they line up in front of both the QB and RB so they might be important... Yeh like, how much did we give Levi Jones in his retirement bonus?

Also I'd like to commend damn near everyone in the stadium for booing the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1 from our own 33 late in a game we're leading by one score. Fire Marvin Lewis![/quote]

Great post. The O-Line is definitely a big part of the problem, and something is going to have to change there for next year. (Even if it is just attitude)

Game days are so exciting here because I get to hear so many points of coaching savvy and personnel genius during the gameday threads...And the sarcasm and bitching is fun too! [ :ninja: ]

Here's to the long-lost days of gameday threads with fans who actually hope the Bengals succeed.

BZ

[quote name='jojorules' post='606656' date='Dec 9 2007, 07:08 PM']I've heard totally unsubstantiated rumors that Polamalu hates his team and wants to reunite with his college roommate and be the Bob Sanders of our defense, when his contract is up next year.[/quote]

that would be like christmas if we got him :D

[quote][size=5][b]Shayne Graham kicks 4 FGs, Bengals win 19-10 in QB Brock Berlin's rainy debut for Rams [/b][/size]

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
December 9, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Rain pelted Brock Berlin's face as he settled in for his first regular-season snap in the NFL. He called signals in misty breaths, then got decked when he let go of a pass.

So, this is what it's like.

Berlin collected himself and kept going, making it through his debut without any major gaffes. He didn't make any big plays, either, and that made the difference.

Rudi Johnson ran 1 yard for a touchdown, Shayne Graham kicked four field goals on a nasty day, and the Cincinnati Bengals took advantage of the St. Louis Rams' novice quarterback for a 19-10 victory Sunday.

"It was fast, it was really exciting," said Berlin, who had only one day of running the offense in practice last week. "It was (like) big-time college football, except you've got all guys who are all-Americans on the other side of the ball. I felt really comfortable."

Neither team had much fun on an afternoon more suitable for holding a clipboard than throwing a football.

A steady, sometimes driving rain on a 38-degree afternoon made it tough to throw, catch or hold onto the slick footballs -- not what the Rams (3-10) wanted on a day when they were down to their third-string quarterback.

"It was tough," said Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who was 21-of-29 for 189 yards. "We were expecting a light drizzle, but it was pouring. I'm just thankful it let up at the end and gave both teams a chance to throw the ball."

Berlin, who entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent, got to play because injuries wiped out the Rams' top two options. Marc Bulger sat out a second straight game with a concussion, and backup Gus Frerotte was sidelined by an injury to his passing shoulder suffered last Sunday.

"It's very difficult," tight end Randy McMichael said. "The week before last, he was on the practice squad. We didn't do enough to help him. He managed the game well. We did a great job. We're proud of him."

All the Bengals (5-8) needed to do was contain running back Steven Jackson and avoid mistakes to get a win. They struggled to pull it off.

Fakhir Brown intercepted Palmer's first pass of the second half and returned it 36 yards for his first career touchdown, cutting it to 10-7. Jackson ran 18 times for 91 yards and caught four passes for 26 yards.

It wasn't enough.

The Bengals put it away by giving the ball to Johnson, who has been limited most of the season by a hamstring injury. Johnson carried on six consecutive plays and gained 48 yards in the closing minutes, setting up Graham's final, clinching field goal.

"That's what I do," said Johnson, who had 92 yards. "I'm a closer, baby. I've been doing that my whole career."

The Bengals decided to lean on Johnson harder this week.

"We ran some more Rudi runs in this game, which helped our offense," coach Marvin Lewis said, referring to straight-ahead, power plays. "Some of the things we've done in the past, we got back to doing."

The Rams' chances rested with Berlin, who learned after practice on Thursday that he might make his debut in his third NFL season.

"For one day of practice, he did pretty well," Bulger said. "He kept us in the game."

On Berlin's first play, defensive end Justin Smith hit him as he released the ball, resulting in a floater that was caught by a diving Torry Holt. On the next play, Berlin tripped over a lineman's foot and fell to the rain-slicked artificial turf.

Bengals safety Dexter Jackson repeatedly anticipated Berlin's snap count and blitzed, making it into the backfield in the blink of a rain-soaked eye. He caused a fumble by hitting Jackson while he was taking a handoff, and twice dropped the running back for losses.

Jackson also intercepted Berlin's desperation pass with 1:38 to go.

Berlin was 17-of-28 for 153 yards. Season-long injury problems at quarterback and the offensive line have taken a toll on the Rams' offense, which has scored fewer than 20 points nine times.

For the second week in a row, the Bengals struggled to move the ball in a steady rain. They lost to pissburgh 24-10 in the muck at Heinz Field last Sunday night, essentially scuttling their season.

Graham made field goals of 27, 38, 32 and 46 yards, rescuing an offense that has trouble completing drives.

[b]Notes[/b]

Rams WR Isaac Bruce was held without a catch for the first time since the final game of the 2003 season. ... Secondary coach Willy Robinson hurt a thigh muscle while running through the tunnel at halftime and had to watch the second half from the Rams' booth. ... Holt topped 1,000 yards receiving for the eighth straight year. Only Jerry Rice (11), Tim Brown (9), Cris Carter (8) and Marvin Harrison (8) have had such streaks. ... The Bengals ran for a season-high 189 yards, averaging 5.3 yards per carry. DeDe Dorsey had a 45-yard run on a lateral, Cincinnati's longest run of the season.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20071209004&prov=ap"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=2007...004&prov=ap[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Unexpected heroes spark Bengals[/b][/size]
Monday, December 10, 2007 3:03 AM
By Bill Rabinowitz

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

CINCINNATI -- It would be tempting to look at the identity of the Bengals' and St. Louis Rams' quarterbacks and conclude that was the difference in Cincinnati's 19-10 win yesterday in rainy Paul Brown Stadium.

Carson Palmer vs. Brock Berlin. A Pro Bowler vs. an undrafted third-stringer who'd never thrown an NFL pass.

But that supposed mismatch wasn't that pivotal to the outcome. The one interception returned for a touchdown was thrown by Palmer, not Berlin. Their passer ratings were almost identical -- a pedestrian 60.8 for Palmer and a 60.6 for Berlin.

If Palmer wasn't up to par for the third time in four weeks, his teammates were. Except for one 54-yard run, the Bengals (5-8) held St. Louis' battering Ram of a running back, Steven Jackson, in check. He gained 37 yards on his other 17 carries. Cincinnati held receiver Isaac Bruce without a catch for the first time since 2003.

Offensively, the Bengals got a first-half spark from DeDe Dorsey, who broke a

19-yard run on third down to keep alive

Cincinnati's only touchdown drive and a 45-yarder to set up a field goal.

Then in the fourth quarter, with the Bengals leading by six with five minutes left, Rudi Johnson sealed the victory by running for 48 of his 92 yards on a final drive that ended with a field goal. The Bengals ran for a season-high 192 yards.

"This was a win that had its moments of brilliance at times, and the opposite at other times," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said.

Truth be told, the game had more sloppiness than beauty, befitting teams that entered with a combined 7-17 record and were forced to play in adverse weather.

Though Berlin wasn't a disaster, the Bengals did benefit from the Rams (3-10) scaling back their playbook because starter Marc Bulger (concussion) and backup Gus Frerotte (shoulder) were out.

But the Bengals insisted they didn't alter their game plan when they learned Friday that Bulger wouldn't play.

"I asked (defensive coordinator) Chuck (Bresnahan) last night if we were going to change the game plan," defensive tackle John Thornton said. "He said, 'No.' If Marc Bulger was in there, we probably would have blitzed more. It's kind of mean, but knowing he has a concussion … "

Regardless of the Rams quarterback, opposing defenses know that containing Jackson is the key.

"He's one of the best we've seen this year," defensive tackle Domata Peko said. "Other than that long run, we had him in our clamps. We were just doing the things we've done the last five weeks -- swarming to the ball and being relentless."

The Bengals led 10-0 and seemed to have the game under control. But on the first series of the second half, Rams cornerback Fakhir Brown intercepted an errant Palmer pass intended for T.J. Houshmandzadeh and returned it 36 yards for a touchdown.

"They did a good job on that play defensively, kind of bluffing one coverage and then flying out late with another one," Palmer said. "They caught me with my eyes in the wrong spot."

The Bengals rebounded with drives for field goals on their next two possessions, the latter score set up by a 52-yard pass to Chad Johnson.

St. Louis' offense got its only score with five minutes left in the game, with an assist from the officials. On third-and-10 from the Cincinnati 32, Berlin threw the ball away, with no receiver in the vicinity. The officials ruled that Berlin was out of the pocket, voiding intentional grounding. Jeff Wilkins then kicked a 50-yard field goal to make it 16-10.

But then the Bengals pounded Rudi Johnson at the Rams to put the game out of reach.

brabinowitz@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bengals/stories/2007/12/10/bengals1210.ART_ART_12-10-07_C1_LI8NTNH.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/benga...NH.html?sid=101[/url]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/DSC01211.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/DSC01210.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/DSC01222.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/DSC01235.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/DSC01240.jpg[/img]

Didn't he sign an extension?

yeah, he definitely did...highest paid safety in the league...

Archived