Let's Go Bengals , Let's Go

[quote name='oftt4' post='613562' date='Dec 24 2007, 10:14 AM']You guys are funny. You rationalize your team sucking ass by saying that there are other good teams in the league. That is a sad commentary on Bengal fandom.

I understand that the Steelers are a long shot in the playoffs...but at least they got there. Anything can happen in the playoffs...so I am not ruling anything out.

It must be truly depressing when your team played their last meaningful game in November. I know you guys arent used to watching football in January...but it is pretty interesting.[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img]

we get it. pissburgh is in the playoffs...

call it whatever you want - and in most years I'd agree that just getting there is all you need as you never know what'll happen. Having read your posts over the last year you of all people have pointed that out with your wildcard super bowl run.

But, when was the last time there was this dominant a team in the league? The last I can remember was one of the 49er teams and even they lost in week 13.

So, I guess be happy that you made it to the playoffs... that'll be about it for your team and 10 others...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='613580' date='Dec 24 2007, 10:50 AM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/28.gif[/img]

we get it. pissburgh is in the playoffs...

call it whatever you want - and in most years I'd agree that just getting there is all you need as you never know what'll happen. Having read your posts over the last year you of all people have pointed that out with your wildcard super bowl run.

[b]But, when was the last time there was this dominant a team in the league?[/b] The last I can remember was one of the 49er teams and even they lost in week 13.

So, I guess be happy that you made it to the playoffs... that'll be about it for your team and 10 others...[/quote]

The Rams were pretty dominant the year the Pats beat them. The Colts were pretty dominant in 2005. The Pats are not the greatest team in the history of the game...a couple of bounces here or there and they could have lost to the Colts, the Cowboys, Philly, even Baltimore. Christ, the Jets played them pretty tough a couple of weeks ago.

Sure, they will probably go undefeated. Sure they are definately the SB favorites (for good reason). But any team can lose...and it only takes a few plays here or there to win a game...and it only needs to happen once for the Pats magical run to end in the playoffs.

Let me ask you this...the Pats are obviously not going to rest their starters next week. What if (and I do not "wish" this) Brady/Moss/both get injured in week 17 and are out for the playoffs? Are the Pats still going to destroy anyone they meet? Would you then be as happy about not making the playoffs? Anything can happen.

[quote name='oftt4' post='613588' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:19 AM']The [b]Rams were pretty dominant the year the Pats beat them. The Colts were pretty dominant in 2005[/b]. The Pats are not the greatest team in the history of the game...a couple of bounces here or there and they could have lost to the Colts, the Cowboys, Philly, even Baltimore. Christ, the Jets played them pretty tough a couple of weeks ago.

Sure, they will probably go undefeated. Sure they are definately the SB favorites (for good reason). But any team can lose...and it only takes a few plays here or there to win a game...and it only needs to happen once for the Pats magical run to end in the playoffs.

Let me ask you this...the Pats are obviously not going to rest their starters next week. What if (and I do not "wish" this) Brady/Moss/both get injured in week 17 and are out for the playoffs? Are the Pats still going to destroy anyone they meet? Would you then be as happy about not making the playoffs? Anything can happen.[/quote]
The Rams had an offense, no defense. Colts, again, no defense.

I'm not saying the Pats are the greatest team in the history of the game but I can't think of any that are better, can you? That team is loaded on both sides of the ball. And, you have to place context by saying in the free agency era... Where good backups think they should be starting and just leave to become a starter. You can't ever build really strong depth like you could prior to FA.

I agree any team can lose... but with that team the probability drops dramatically.

As far as being happy we didn't make the playoffs... I never said that. I said if there was ever a year to not make it this one is it.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='613591' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:35 AM'][b]The Rams had an offense, no defense[/b]. Colts, again, no defense.

I'm not saying the Pats are the greatest team in the history of the game but I can't think of any that are better, can you? That team is loaded on both sides of the ball. And, you have to place context by saying in the free agency era... Where good backups think they should be starting and just leave to become a starter. You can't ever build really strong depth like you could prior to FA.

I agree any team can lose... but with that team the probability drops dramatically.

As far as being happy we didn't make the playoffs... I never said that. I said if there was ever a year to not make it this one is it.[/quote]

Are you kidding? In 2001 the Rams defense was 3rd in yardage and 7th in points allowed. They were a juggernaut much like this year's Pats. They lost 2 games all season by a combined 10 points (those little bounces here and there that I mentioned).

Stocking Stuffers

[img]http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4282252dt.jpg[/img][img]http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4301292dt.jpg[/img][img]http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4301309dt.jpg[/img][img]http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2437546dt.jpg[/img]

Just messin with you all. Smack is all in fun.

Seriously. Merry Christmas to all and this is the best football site out there that I have found. That's why I'm here, even though I'm the enemy.

Merry Christmas Bengal fans!!!!!

Just remember, every year since the North has been created the 3rd place team goes on to win the division the next year B)

[quote name='oftt4' post='613562' date='Dec 24 2007, 10:14 AM']You guys are funny. You rationalize your team sucking ass by saying that there are other good teams in the league. That is a sad commentary on Bengal fandom.

I understand that the Steelers are a long shot in the playoffs...but at least they got there. Anything can happen in the playoffs...so I am not ruling anything out.

It must be truly depressing when your team played their last meaningful game in November. I know you guys arent used to watching football in January...but it is pretty interesting.[/quote]

Uhm when you dont make the playoffs wouldnt you rather have a high pick than a middle round one? Espesally when you have the needs we do? And Vol is right the pats are world beaters this year, if there is a year not to make it and get a high pick its this one. You can dilude yourself thinking you might have a chance all you want.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613689' date='Dec 24 2007, 07:59 PM']Uhm when you dont make the playoffs wouldnt you rather have a high pick than a middle round one? Espesally when you have the needs we do? And Vol is right the pats are world beaters this year, if there is a year not to make it and get a high pick its this one. You can dilude yourself thinking you might have a chance all you want.[/quote]

And you folks have had a lot of those "high picks" over the years. And they've done what exactly for you?

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='613722' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:38 PM']And you folks have had a lot of those "high picks" over the years. And they've done what exactly for you?[/quote]

how many high picks have we had since lewis arrived? Carson and he was only a high pick due to the previous teams being so bad. All of the 1st round picks in lewis' term that havent gotten injured (perry and pollack) have thus far beeen solid picks. And most were low to midround picks, now imagine what he will do with a high one?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613915' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:09 AM']how many high picks have we had since lewis arrived? Carson and he was only a high pick due to the previous teams being so bad. All of the 1st round picks in lewis' term that havent gotten injured (perry and pollack) have thus far beeen solid picks. And most were low to midround picks, now imagine what he will do with a high one?[/quote]

I'd say the jury is still out on JoJo and Hall.... Pollack might have been a good one, Perry likely a career 3rd down back. Some of the 2,3,4 round picks have turned into solid players. The point is... first rounders are hit and miss. True talent comes in finding those gems in the mid to late rounds. Lewis has found a couple... he's found a couple of criminals too. My point is Marvin has done better in the later rounds then he has in the first so far, whether because of injury or anything else.

Hate them all you want but one thing the Steelers have always done very well is draft. Sure we've had our duds like every team... but in the last ten drafts... 8 of those players are starters in the NFL and play at a pretty high level. A 9th will likely enter the starting defense next year (Timmons). Next season 17 or 18 of our 22 starters will have been drafted by us. That's pretty solid.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='614286' date='Dec 27 2007, 11:17 AM']I'd say the jury is still out on JoJo and Hall.... Pollack might have been a good one, Perry likely a career 3rd down back. Some of the 2,3,4 round picks have turned into solid players. The point is... first rounders are hit and miss. True talent comes in finding those gems in the mid to late rounds. Lewis has found a couple... he's found a couple of criminals too. My point is Marvin has done better in the later rounds then he has in the first so far, whether because of injury or anything else.

Hate them all you want but one thing the Steelers have always done very well is draft. Sure we've had our duds like every team... but in the last ten drafts... 8 of those players are starters in the NFL and play at a pretty high level. A 9th will likely enter the starting defense next year (Timmons). Next season 17 or 18 of our 22 starters will have been drafted by us. That's pretty solid.[/quote]

Of course you do, a steelers fan admiting the bengals have drafted well...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='614334' date='Dec 27 2007, 02:17 PM']Of course you do, a steelers fan admiting the bengals have drafted well...[/quote]

Just call em as I see em. After a decade of drafting busts for the most part they are finally starting to get some decent talent in there. I still pretty much count on Mike Brown doing something to fuck it all up though.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='614343' date='Dec 27 2007, 01:36 PM']Just call em as I see em. After a decade of drafting busts for the most part they are finally starting to get some decent talent in there. I still pretty much count on Mike Brown doing something to fuck it all up though.[/quote]

Pre-marvin, I'd pretty much agree, post not so much.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='613689' date='Dec 24 2007, 06:59 PM']Uhm when you dont make the playoffs wouldnt you rather have a high pick than a middle round one? Espesally when you have the needs we do? And Vol is right the pats are world beaters this year, if[b] there is a year not to make it and get a high pick its this one[/b]. You can dilude yourself thinking you might have a chance all you want.[/quote]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='613591' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:35 AM']The Rams had an offense, no defense. Colts, again, no defense.

As far as being happy we didn't make the playoffs... I never said that. I said if there was ever a year to not make it this one is it.[/quote]

Still think nobody has a chance but the Pats?

Still think "this was the year to miss the playoffs"?

[quote name='oftt4' post='629980' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:19 PM']Still think nobody has a chance but the Pats?

Still think "this was the year to miss the playoffs"?[/quote]
If I'd have had to place a bet today I'd take the Patriots in a game tonight over New York... But, bottom line is our premise was correct. Pittsburgh went one and done and will draft in the 20's with nothing more to show for anything than Cincinnati, or New England for that matter...

What exactly is your argument? That you never know?

Hindsight is always right - but either of those teams was going to kick our ass - as they would have yours, if you'd gotten that far... But, we get a top 10 pick for our efforts, you get one in the 20's...

Don't get me wrong - I want to be in the playoffs but when you see the highest scoring offense in NFL history out there and you'd hit them before the Super Bowl (which means you'd play them at their home) chances aren't too good. If there was a year this one was it. NE just hit a balls to the wall hot as hell on the road Giants team on a neutral site and was able to pull it out. Do I think Cincy, or Pitt, or Indy could have beaten NE last night - NO!

Do you?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='629983' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:54 PM']If I'd have had to place a bet today I'd take the Patriots in a game tonight over New York... But, bottom line is our premise was correct. Pittsburgh went one and done and will draft in the 20's with nothing more to show for anything than Cincinnati, or New England for that matter...

What exactly is your argument? That you never know?

Hindsight is always right - but either of those teams was going to kick our ass - as they would have yours, if you'd gotten that far... But, we get a top 10 pick for our efforts, you get one in the 20's...

Don't get me wrong - I want to be in the playoffs but when you see the highest scoring offense in NFL history out there and you'd hit them before the Super Bowl (which means you'd play them at their home) chances aren't too good. If there was a year this one was it. NE just hit a balls to the wall hot as hell on the road Giants team on a neutral site and was able to pull it out. Do I think Cincy, or Pitt, or Indy could have beaten NE last night - NO!

Do you?[/quote]

No, your "premise" was that it doesnt matter what anyone else does this year because the Patriots were going to win the superbowl. Your "premise" was 100% wrong.

And your hindsight argument doesnt really apply considering I was saying this a month ago.

[quote name='oftt4' post='629994' date='Feb 4 2008, 02:39 PM']No, your "premise" was that it doesnt matter what anyone else does this year because the Patriots were going to win the superbowl. Your "premise" was 100% wrong.

And your hindsight argument doesnt really apply considering I was saying this a month ago.[/quote]
Whatever gets you through the day. Lets go about it this way...

How many super bowls did the Steelers have at season's beginning? 5. How many do they have now? 5. For all their trouble they're picking about 15 slots below the bengals... Going into the playoffs did you really think they had a shot against Indy or NE? We'll not even factor Jacksonville or SD into the equation. Unless your team has a strong legitimate shot at winning it all (which culminates in peaking at the right time, have health on your side, etc.) come playoff time then I'd just as soon have the higher draft slot.

And, the fact that NE was almost a two TD favorite tells me everything I need to know. To limp into the playoffs just to say we made the playoffs and lose in the first round, to me, sucks. But, to each his own.

You and I will never agree on anything so we'll just agree to disagree... Alrighty?

[quote name='oftt4' post='629980' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:19 PM']Still think nobody has a chance but the Pats?

Still think "this was the year to miss the playoffs"?[/quote]

well seeing as it took an NFC team to do it, that point still is valid isnt it?

here is the difference, your team has been and has playoff experience, if we were to win the division and gain the experience needed to help them understand what it takes to win in the playoffs vs the regular season and lets say won only 1 game, id think it was a good season and one to build on, however because your team does have that experience just getting in and getting experience isnt a "good season" is it? Plus if you cant win it or get much needed expereince for your young team wouldnt you rather be picking in the top 10 than in the middle? I know I would.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='630001' date='Feb 4 2008, 03:09 PM']Whatever gets you through the day. Lets go about it this way...

How many super bowls did the Steelers have at season's beginning? 5. How many do they have now? 5. For all their trouble they're picking about 15 slots below the bengals... [b]Going into the playoffs did you really think they had a shot against Indy or NE[/b]? We'll not even factor Jacksonville or SD into the equation. Unless your team has a strong legitimate shot at winning it all (which culminates in peaking at the right time, have health on your side, etc.) come playoff time then I'd just as soon have the higher draft slot.

[b]And, the fact that NE was almost a two TD favorite tells me everything I need to know[/b]. To limp into the playoffs just to say we made the playoffs and lose in the first round, to me, sucks. But, to each his own.

You and I will never agree on anything so we'll just agree to disagree... Alrighty?[/quote]

"Going into the playoffs did you really think they had a shot against Indy or NE?"

Going into the superbowl, did anyone really think the Giants had a shot against anybody? In 2005, did anyone (other than my fellow Steeler fans) think that Pittsburgh had a chance against anyone?

"And, the fact that NE was almost a two TD favorite tells me everything I need to know"

So the fact that they didnt actually win the game doesnt tell you anything? The fact that the bets on the game were overwhelmingly in favor of the Giants with that ridiculous point spread doesnt tell you anything?

I am just saying, like I said before, any team can lose. It is a silly argument to say that since New England was so good this year, that it isnt worth making the playoffs this year.

My point has been proven.

And as for what difference it makes...it is called pride. For the fans, for the players, for the whole organization.

It is called momentum....a successful season for your players and coach to build on.

It is called history...the Steelers will go into NFL history as a playoff team, one of the best 6-12 teams in the league. The Bengals will be forgotten.

It is called money...when you host another game in the playoffs, your city makes money, your team makes money, your players make money.

If you cant see the relevance of making the playoffs, then there is nothing I can do to convince you. I guess you have to experience it.

[quote name='oftt4' post='630183' date='Feb 5 2008, 07:20 AM']"Going into the playoffs did you really think they had a shot against Indy or NE?"

Going into the superbowl, did anyone really think the Giants had a shot against anybody? In 2005, did anyone (other than my fellow Steeler fans) think that Pittsburgh had a chance against anyone?

"And, the fact that NE was almost a two TD favorite tells me everything I need to know"

So the fact that they didnt actually win the game doesnt tell you anything? The fact that the bets on the game were overwhelmingly in favor of the Giants with that ridiculous point spread doesnt tell you anything?

I am just saying, like I said before, any team can lose. It is a silly argument to say that since New England was so good this year, that it isnt worth making the playoffs this year.

My point has been proven.

And as for what difference it makes...it is called pride. For the fans, for the players, for the whole organization.

It is called momentum....a successful season for your players and coach to build on.

It is called history...the Steelers will go into NFL history as a playoff team, one of the best 6-12 teams in the league. The Bengals will be forgotten.

It is called money...when you host another game in the playoffs, your city makes money, your team makes money, your players make money.

If you cant see the relevance of making the playoffs, then there is nothing I can do to convince you. I guess you have to experience it.[/quote]

Like I said in my previous post to you we'll just agree to disagree.

I ask again, what more do the Steelers have to show for it than Cincy???

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='630197' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:25 AM']Like I said in my previous post to you we'll just agree to disagree.

I ask again, what more do the Steelers have to show for it than Cincy???[/quote]

I am pretty sure I already answered that. Pride, momentum, history, and money.

What more do the Bengals have? A higher draft pick. They get to gamble on an unproven college player before the Steelers do (and pay him quite a bit more money to do so).

[quote name='oftt4' post='630201' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:55 AM']I am pretty sure I already answered that. Pride, momentum, history, and money.

What more do the Bengals have? A higher draft pick. They get to gamble on an unproven college player before the Steelers do (and pay him quite a bit more money to do so).[/quote]

I do like your sig line... he's such a fuckstick.

Surprised you didn't use Roethlisberger's quote that got Ward all pissed off about him wanting tall receivers...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='630225' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:45 AM']I do like your sig line... he's such a fuckstick.[/quote]

Yeah, I got a kick out of that when I read it....didnt want to let it go to waste.

Say what you want about CJ, but he is a funny guy.

Archived