Predictions for the NC game

dieselman44

Just came from my classes on campus and everyone is wearing scarlet and gray. It got me pretty fucking pumped already. I want your predictions, obvioulsy im bias but I predict a 27-23 Buckeyes win. I think very conservative start for both teams then after the first half some big plays occur.

link to live bourbon street cam
[url="http://www.earthcam.com/swf/cam_player/enlarge_image.php?type=live&path=http://images.earthcam.com/ecnetwork/catsmeow.jpg&name=Bourbon%20Street%20Beat&width=640&height=480&img_width=640&img_height=480"]http://www.earthcam.com/swf/cam_player/enl...;img_height=480[/url]

Go BUCKS

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='619948' date='Jan 7 2008, 12:07 PM']I've learned not to make predictions.

If the OSU O-line shows up and has a good game, that bodes very well. It'll be strength vs. strength. Best o-line in the country against the best d-line in the country.[/quote]

well, as I said, the OSU O-line had to have a strong showing for them to win. Outside of the first quarter, that didn't happen so much.

On the defensive side of the ball, you'd think they would have learned by now that you can't continue to play a straight up Zone D against a spread offense. It took a half to learn that though. There was also some poor tackling at times.

I'll say that the officiating was questionable at best, but by and large OSU simply got outplayed for a good portion of the game. Too many missed tackles and not controlling the line on offense.

Also, huge momentum swings with the dropped Robiskie catch in the endzone, and penalty on the roughing the kicker. Totally different ball game without those two plays and likely a tie ball-game halfway through the 3rd.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620161' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:39 PM']well, as I said, the OSU O-line had to have a strong showing for them to win. Outside of the first quarter, that didn't happen so much.

On the defensive side of the ball, you'd think they would have learned by now that you can't continue to play a straight up Zone D against a spread offense. It took a half to learn that though. There was also some poor tackling at times.

I'll say that the officiating was questionable at best, but by and large OSU simply got outplayed for a good portion of the game. Too many missed tackles and not controlling the line on offense.

Also, huge momentum swings with the dropped Robiskie catch in the endzone, and penalty on the roughing the kicker. [b]Totally different ball game without those two plays[/b] and likely a tie ball-game halfway through the 3rd.[/quote]

Don't forget the other 4 personal fouls... <_<

[quote name='Elflocko' post='620163' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:43 PM']Don't forget the other 4 personal fouls... <_<[/quote]

I dunno about that. The first (late hit out of bounds) was simply a crap call. The facemask on Laurinatis was legit, but IMO was a 5yder at best. The roughing the punter was legit by rule. The ones on Heyward and Rehring were never showed, so can't say.

I also saw a late hit out of bounds, a helmet to helmet on hartline, and a hands to the face (on the Boeckman fumble) that weren't called. :shrug:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620170' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:49 PM']I dunno about that. The first (late hit out of bounds) was simply a crap call. The facemask on Laurinatis was legit, but IMO was a 5yder at best. The roughing the punter was legit by rule. The ones on Heyward and Rehring were never showed, so can't say.

I also saw a late hit out of bounds, a helmet to helmet on hartline, and a hands to the face (on the Boeckman fumble) that weren't called. :shrug:[/quote]

Just a waste of a fucking evening all around..

[quote name='Elflocko' post='620191' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:34 AM']Just a waste of a fucking evening all around..[/quote]

All of these BCS matchups sucked ass. I guess the only thing we can hope for is that the big 10 and pac 10 commissioners die, and a playoff can be instituted.

And chin up, guys! maybe next year, voters will come to their senses and put osu in a bowl matchup that is, lets say, in their league.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='620201' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:01 AM']All of these BCS matchups sucked ass. I guess the only thing we can hope for is that the big 10 and pac 10 commissioners die, and a playoff can be instituted.

And chin up, guys! maybe next year, voters will come to their senses and put osu in a bowl matchup that is, lets say, in their league.[/quote]

OSU and LSU actually matched up pretty well together. Costly penalties and a dropped TD were very costly for OSU. I'd love to play LSU again.

[quote name='#22' post='619983' date='Jan 7 2008, 02:01 PM']31-17
Tigers[/quote]
It is funny you threw that score up because while I was back in Cincy over Christmas / New Years I was telling my dad that I liked LSU by 14 points.

I didn't throw a score out - just what I thought the spread would be.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620225' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:23 AM']OSU and LSU actually matched up pretty well together. Costly penalties and a dropped TD were very costly for OSU. I'd love to play LSU again.[/quote]
I'm sure the feeling is more than mutual.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620170' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:19 AM']I dunno about that. The first (late hit out of bounds) was simply a crap call. The facemask on Laurinatis was legit, but IMO was a 5yder at best. The roughing the punter was legit by rule. The ones on Heyward and Rehring were never showed, so can't say.

I also saw a late hit out of bounds, a helmet to helmet on hartline, and a hands to the face (on the Boeckman fumble) that weren't called. :shrug:[/quote]

The personal foul on Heyward was legit, he basically threw a punch with open fist at the guy and hit him on the underside of the facemask forcing the LSU player's head to jerk pretty good. Right in front of an official. Deserved the penalty.

The hands to the face on Boeckman's fumble really wasn't, Highsmith hit the ball with his left hand and his right hand went towards the neck/shoulder area.......no hit in the face......and you're looking for a bailout call there anyways.....Boeckman's pass wasn't going anywhere near a OSU receiver, he was just basically throwing it up for grabs.....again, you're looking for a bailout call there.

The facemask was also legit, Laurinaitis caused the LSU player's head to jerk the opposite direction from which he was running. He did let go fairly quickly but anytime a head is turned by grabbing the facemask, you're going to have a 15 yarder.

The late hit out of bounds was the only questionable call from your list of objectionable calls besides the Rehring one which I didn't see either.

LSU flat out outplayed OSU for most of the game (after the 1st qtr). Their offensive scheme was absolutely perfect and the playcalling was fantastic a majority of the game. I always thought Tressel was a good coach as well as the D Coordinator but they had no idea how to stop LSU for most of the game. LSU's playcalling got conservative in the third qtr and OSU stopped them 4 consecutive drives but when it came down to it, LSU did what they wanted. Clearly the better team won last night.

Now, if the NCAA had a +1 system.......LSU and USC could play to determine the best team. Also, it is apparent to me that to be succesful (championship level) in college football, your schools name must be able to be abbreviated into 3 letters.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='620316' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:55 AM']The hands to the face on Boeckman's fumble really wasn't, Highsmith hit the ball with his left hand and his right hand went towards the neck/shoulder area.......no hit in the face......and you're looking for a bailout call there anyways.....[b]Boeckman's pass wasn't going anywhere near a OSU receiver[/b], he was just basically throwing it up for grabs.....again, you're looking for a bailout call there.[/quote]

not sure what' you're talking about, he never even got the pass off. And we'll agree to disagree on the hands to the face. Unless its an NFL only rule, you're not allowed to go anywhere near the head of a QB. He got both hands on him.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620320' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:58 AM']not sure what' you're talking about, he never even got the pass off. And we'll agree to disagree on the hands to the face. Unless its an NFL only rule, you're not allowed to go anywhere near the head of a QB. He got both hands on him.[/quote]
I'm not going to argue a personal foul calls, but regarding the Boeckman fumble - the picture toward the bottom of this article shows Highsmith's left hand hitting the ball and his right hand down at his shoulder pads / throat - not on or at his helmet / head.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3186010&sportCat=ncf"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620320' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:28 PM']not sure what' you're talking about, he never even got the pass off. And we'll agree to disagree on the hands to the face. Unless its an NFL only rule, you're not allowed to go anywhere near the head of a QB. He got both hands on him.[/quote]

Yeah, it's an assumption but I haven't seen too many QB's succesful when they're 10 - 15 yds behind the line of scrimmage scrambling for their life to the right......of course I could be wrong though and he had a wide open WR down at least 17 - 22 yds down the field.

And watch the Highsmith hit again, I thought it was hands to the face also initially but the replay showed me that he really didn't hit his head, his left hand hit the ball (thus the fumble) and his right hands was to the right of Boeckman's helmet......at least in my opinion

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='620341' date='Jan 8 2008, 01:58 PM']I'm not going to argue a personal foul calls, but regarding the Boeckman fumble - the picture toward the bottom of this article shows Highsmith's left hand hitting the ball and his right hand down at his shoulder pads / throat - not on or at his helmet / head.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3186010&sportCat=ncf"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf[/url][/quote]

Thank you........that's what I saw also on the multiple replays I saw. The ref was standing right there also and didn't call a penalty.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='620341' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:28 AM']I'm not going to argue a personal foul calls, but regarding the Boeckman fumble - the picture toward the bottom of this article shows Highsmith's left hand hitting the ball and his right hand down at his shoulder pads / throat - not on or at his helmet / head.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3186010&sportCat=ncf"]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/sto...mp;sportCat=ncf[/url][/quote]

yes, the right arm, is around his throat, after it had slid down from the facemask.

Archived