LSU-OSU Game

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='620175' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:55 PM']I am still trying to figure out wtf happened on the roughing the kicker penalty..Can anyone explain?[/quote]

the rule is, if you knock down the punter, without tipping the ball, its a penalty.

Its put in place to protect the punter from getting injured. Though, if the defender had already left his feet prior to the kick, I don't believe its a penalty. Don't remember off hand if that happened on this play.

I've never been a huge fan of the rule (not just because it worked against OSU) because it almost isn't worth rushing the punter unless you succeed in blocking it. It's like saying its a penalty to knockdown a QB if you don't get the sack as well.

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='620175' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:55 PM']I am still trying to figure out wtf happened on the roughing the kicker penalty..Can anyone explain?[/quote]

What do you need explained?

If it was the penalty itself, it was pretty obvious, he completely missed the ball and crashed into the kicker.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='620179' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:59 PM']What do you need explained?

If it was the penalty itself, it was pretty obvious, he completely missed the ball and crashed into the kicker.[/quote]

That was actually the only real good call on the personal fouls.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620169' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:48 PM']This fix has been in since Katrina has been hit the shit hole town. And before you think it's about the Bucks; Remember the WVU lose. Guarentee that game was thrown.[/quote]
C'mon man...really? The refs and the NCAA are in on the fix to repair the pyschological damage of a hurricane and failed levees?
Gimme a break. OSU got completely outplayed outside of the 1st quarter.
And what is OSU's record pre-Katrina against the SEC again, exactly?
Yeah.
Nada.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620174' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:54 PM']let's not get silly.[/quote]

Actually I believed that at the start of the season, so it's nothing new. Why do you think the Saints made the NFC championship with such a piss-poor team? Boost the economy and give the residents a reason to come back. Support the City. LSU being displaced, this is the perfect story. Where they that good, nope. Should have even jumped Georgia, because in an even game, Georgia whips their ass. And let's not forget USC, dear god, they would have crushed both teams tonight. So let's not be silly the fix was in from the first snap of the season, thus the even ups at the end of the year to get LSU back in the hunt. This game was just a side ring to the whole damn circus.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='620181' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:02 AM']C'mon man...really? The refs and the NCAA are in on the fix to repair the pyschological damage of a hurricane and failed levees?
Gimme a break. OSU got completely outplayed outside of the 1st quarter.
And what is OSU's record pre-Katrina against the SEC again, exactly?
Yeah.
Nada.[/quote]

See my post above..... I never believed the Bucks win this game, but LSU getting there and winning the way the did was a joke..... Think what you want, but anything can be fixed, and any thing important usually is.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620183' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:04 AM']Actually I believed that at the start of the season, so it's nothing new. Why do you think the Saints made the NFC championship with such a piss-poor team? Boost the economy and give the residents a reason to come back. Support the City. LSU being displaced, this is the perfect story. Where they that good, nope. Should have even jumped Georgia, because in an even game, Georgia whips their ass. And let's not forget USC, dear god, they would have crushed both teams tonight. So let's not be silly the fix was in from the first snap of the season, thus the even ups at the end of the year to get LSU back in the hunt. This game was just a side ring to the whole damn circus.[/quote]

man, that's as bad as my mom thinking that the mafia had to do with the Bengals sucking in the 90's.

Did whoever makes these decisions decide to just make the Saints suck again this year?

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620183' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:04 AM']Actually I believed that at the start of the season, so it's nothing new. Why do you think the Saints made the NFC championship with such a piss-poor team? Boost the economy and give the residents a reason to come back. Support the City. LSU being displaced, this is the perfect story. Where they that good, nope. Should have even jumped Georgia, because in an even game, Georgia whips their ass. And let's not forget USC, dear god, they would have crushed both teams tonight. So let's not be silly the fix was in from the first snap of the season, thus the even ups at the end of the year to get LSU back in the hunt. This game was just a side ring to the whole damn circus.[/quote]
While I agree that teams like USC are likely better than the two that played tonight, your argument is BS.
I hate the BCS system, but..whaddya gonna do?
OSU was CLEARLY outclassed (again) by an SEC team. I'm not implying that one conference is better than another here...but it is what it is, and OSU was who LSU thought they were!
Your allusion to the Saints is laughable...they actually had a team that BEAT other teams last season because they had a viable rushing attack because of Deuce and Bush paired together...without one or the other, they are as one-dimensional as the Bengals were this year.
Sure the success of a downtrodden team from a downtrodden city is a good story...but you still have to WIN THE GAMES!

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620178' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:58 PM']the rule is, if you knock down the punter, without tipping the ball, its a penalty.

Its put in place to protect the punter from getting injured. Though, if the defender had already left his feet prior to the kick, I don't believe its a penalty. Don't remember off hand if that happened on this play.

I've never been a huge fan of the rule (not just because it worked against OSU) because it almost isn't worth rushing the punter unless you succeed in blocking it. It's like saying its a penalty to knockdown a QB if you don't get the sack as well.[/quote]

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='620179' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:59 PM']What do you need explained?

If it was the penalty itself, it was pretty obvious, he completely missed the ball and crashed into the kicker.[/quote]

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620180' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:01 AM']That was actually the only real good call on the personal fouls.[/quote]
Looked like he already left his feet before the punter even kicked it..

Wow, you can't be serious. You can't be serious. You can't be.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620184' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:06 AM']See my post above..... I never believed the Bucks win this game, but LSU getting there and winning the way the did was a joke..... Think what you want, but anything can be fixed, and any thing important usually is.[/quote]
I sort of liken this to how the Patriots beat the Rams in the Superbowl after 9/11....:plays eerie music:

The war on terror is clearly more important because the NFL still has the Patriots as a dynasty. :laughing on the way to work:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620165' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:44 PM']OSU getting outplayed aside, the officiating in this game was shady. At least two of those personal fouls were bad (two more weren't shown so can't say), and there was a lot of inconsistency. Plenty of taunting on LSU's end, and a late hit or two. Not to mention the hands to the helmet on the Boeckman fumble.

I still think OSU likely loses anyway with the way they played, but its a little shady when one of the least penalized teams in the country gets 5 personal fouls called on them and the 2nd most penalized team doesn't get anything called.[/quote]

It aggravated me when they didn't show the personal foul on #97 right at the start of the 3rd quarter (after the roughing the kicker) - they were talking about Archie Griffin instead, because they never did show a replay of it. I can't speak to the PF that did get called - but I will say I thought there were probably 2 that should have been called on LSU for tackling guys as they were going out of bounds.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620168' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:46 PM']oh gimme a break. It's not like the SEC is the only league with talent. OSU has plenty of talent, LSU just had more. Gholston and Laurinatis are still first rounders IMO. Jenkins really hurt his stock to me though.[/quote]

We better not take Laurinaitis at #9 - that is too high. He may be a 1st rounder, but late. Gholston looks like an animal though. I don't know if 9 is too high for him, probably, but if we were around 15-16, I'd take that guy in a minute.

Here's to hoping Dorsey falls to 9... :D

[quote name='ccartman2' post='620169' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:48 PM']This fix has been in since Katrina has been hit the shit hole town. And before you think it's about the Bucks; Remember the WVU lose. Guarentee that game was thrown.[/quote]

You're kidding right... The town was getting the game whether LSU was in it or not. And, from an economic standpoint the region would probably have done better by not having LSU in it because most of those fans were able to stay home and drive to the game the same day (not having to spend money on hotels, etc.). Out of town fans pump a lot more money into the economy with hotel rooms, restaurants, etc. From an economic standpoint it would have been more beneficial to have two out of town teams.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620182' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:02 AM']was Austin in the air before the kick however? I don't recall, if he was, it shouldn't have been a penalty, [b]by rule[/b].[/quote]

You're going to need to quote that rule. Because I've never heard the rule stated that as long as you're in the air before the punt leaves the kicker's foot it isn't roughing. Now, being blocked into the kicker - different story. But, unless you touch the ball you can't touch the kicker - bottom line.

That is why they teach punt return players to aim for a spot about 3-4 yards in front of the kicker and dive for that point - if you miss the ball you won't hit the kicker...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='620187' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:09 AM']While I agree that teams like USC are likely better than the two that played tonight, your argument is BS.
[b]I hate the BCS system, but..whaddya gonna do[/b]?
OSU was CLEARLY outclassed (again) by an SEC team. I'm not implying that one conference is better than another here...but it is what it is, and OSU was who LSU thought they were!
Your allusion to the Saints is laughable...they actually had a team that BEAT other teams last season because they had a viable rushing attack because of Deuce and Bush paired together...without one or the other, they are as one-dimensional as the Bengals were this year.
Sure the success of a downtrodden team from a downtrodden city is a good story...but you still have to WIN THE GAMES![/quote]
I agree, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get a playoff!!! And, I wish they'd not have any polls (preseason or otherwise) until about week 4 of the season. In the current system the team that is dubbed #1 in the preseason has an inherent advantage to the title game right off the bat - basically it is their opportunity to lose. You could really say the same thing about #2 as well. Let 3-4 games play out and then rank teams - it would at least be better than it is now.

To whomever just arbitrarily stated the USC was the best team, etc. No team that loses on their home field to a 41 point dog deserves to play for a national title. A USC team that played only 2nd teamers should have beaten Stanford. I'll agree a USC vs LSU, USC vs. Georgia, or LSU vs. Georgia would have been a better game but it is what it is.

I love how before the game Corso throws on the Brutus head and picks OSU to stomp LSU, etc. and then right after the game all he can get out is USC is the best team in the country and should have been in the game...

Replacing who? The team you just picked to win that lost? Or, the team that actually won the game over the team you picked, convincingly?

I was amazed at the way Bo Pelini continued to change defenses on the fly. I swear they never lined up in the same places twice. Good defensive talent to be sure...but it just goes to show how an innovative coordinator can adapt to a game.

We should be so fortunate here.

I have always had my doubts concerning Little Animal...and even though he had a ton of tackles last night...he really wasn't a difference-maker. Same with Gholston. Maybe they make better pros, who can say.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='620219' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:04 AM']I have always had my doubts concerning Little Animal...and even though he had a ton of tackles last night...he really wasn't a difference-maker. Same with Gholston. Maybe they make better pros, who can say.[/quote]

I disagree, I thought Laurinaitis was fine, and Gholston was owning his guy all night. Flynn was just getting rid of the ball before Gholston got there because the back 7 were letting guys open. OSU's front four got great pressure without blitzing. The problem was the zone coverage being played behind them. Florida taught them last year that you can't play zone against a spread offense. OSU didn't adapt.

The Buckeyes made to many mistakes.
Personal fouls, special-teams miscues and turnovers killed.

The personal foul on the punt in the 3rd quarter killed.
Instead of having the chance to make it a 7 point game,
it became a 21 point game.

Anyway, all the haters (the dude with the LSU sig all of a sudden instantly comes to mind)
can say whatever you want. I'd rather have a team that makes it there and loses, than
having no team there, and be forced to root for someone else out of hate for a team.

The Buckeyes had a good season. They have a very young team.
Boeckman struggled at the end of the season, and they still made
it to the NC. I`m proud of them.

GO BUCKS !!!

[quote name='oldschooler' post='620233' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:47 AM']The Buckeyes made to many mistakes.

Anyway, all the haters (the dude with the LSU sig all of a sudden instantly comes to mind)
can say whatever you want. I'd rather have a team that makes it there and loses, than
having no team there, and be forced to root for someone else out of hate for a team.

GO BUCKS !!![/quote]

Hopefully Boeckman matures as a QB during the offseason (I thought we'd see some of it over the layoff). I had high hopes for Boeckman this season, and felt that, as far as pure QB talent, he's the best OSU has had this decade (note, Krenzel and Smith were smarter players). I worry that his mental mistakes are overshadowing his physical talent though. Wouldn't surprise me to see Henton challenge for the starting role (not that we know exactly how good he is yet) along with, if he committs, Tyrelle Pryor.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='620233' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:47 AM']The Buckeyes made to many mistakes.

having no team there, and [b]be forced to root for someone else out of hate for a team[/b].

GO BUCKS !!![/quote]
I hope this wasn't aimed at me. I wasn't rooting against OSU because I hate them (although I do), I was rooting for LSU because of the SEC tie. It just makes the conference look that much better.

4 NC's out of 10, 4-0 in the title game when the SEC gets there, that is what I was pulling for. If you weren't referring to me then disregard...

OSU did have a good season - especially when this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. They splashed up their starting roster and think the only senior was Grant the LB... everyone else is underclassmen. Now, you might lose a few more to the draft but still.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='620238' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:59 AM']OSU did have a good season - especially when this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. They splashed up their starting roster and think the only senior was Grant the LB... everyone else is underclassmen. Now, you might lose a few more to the draft but still.[/quote]

yea I think many will leave, if nothing else out of frustration. I expect Gholston, Laurinaitis, and Jenkins all to leave. May also see Boone, Barton, and Freeman go.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='620238' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:59 AM']I hope this wasn't aimed at me. I wasn't rooting against OSU because I hate them (although I do), I was rooting for LSU because of the SEC tie. It just makes the conference look that much better.

4 NC's out of 10, 4-0 in the title game when the SEC gets there, that is what I was pulling for. If you weren't referring to me then disregard...

OSU did have a good season - especially when this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. They splashed up their starting roster and think the only senior was Grant the LB... everyone else is underclassmen. Now, you might lose a few more to the draft but still.[/quote]

No it was directed at you personally.
But I would never root for Michigan for any reason. Ever.

And I honestly think the Buckeyes helped LSU win more,
than LSU "beat them down" like some of the shit I am reading today.

Anyway, yeah I`m sure they will lose a few players this season.
But I`m glad one of them won`t be Beanie Wells. Dude is a beast.
The Buckeyes will just reload, and hopefully Tressel will get the
monkey (or Gorilla (SEC) ) off his back next season . . .

What the fuck ever happened to putting a "supposed" speedy linebacker or a safety on the
TE????????? I might've been hallucinating but I could've sworn I seen a safety on the line
of scrimmage most of the night for the Buckeyes. The tackling was downright horrible.
I'm wondering what Tressel did with the #1 defense in the country last night. He sure as
fuck didnt put it on the field!! The Ohio State Bills are starting to piss me off.

GO BUCKS !!![/quote]

X2

Archived