*** MIKE ZIMMER IS THE NEW DC ***

Zimmer`s main job is to install an identity.

The identity Marvin is looking for is to be physical and tough.

There are things in place as a foundation, that they want to build off of.
They don`t want to have to re-invent the wheel.

Marvin and Zimmer go way back to Idaho State versus Weber State.

Curnutte asked if what Chuck said about him lobbying for more
for the Defense, was a parting shot. Marvin just said Chuck worked
his tail off, and I`ll leave it at that.

Marvin said they are a base 4-3 Defense (and something about Spring
that I missed).

Lap asked about LB coach position. Marvin said soon. They want to
let Mike Zimmer have some say in who they bring in.

Joe Kay asked what Zimmer`s take is on this Defense.
Zimmer says everything is an open slate. And he is going
to go by what he sees on the field. Their passion for the game,
and how much they want to win.

Zimmer says you have to coach tough to be tough.
He says he puts a line in the sand, and won`t let
the players cross it.

He`s big on technique. He expects players to play the game right.
Hands and feet in the right place. He says he is a hollerer and
screamer.

Lap asked about Zimmer`s influences. Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey,
and several other guys that he coached with in Dallas.

He says in the NFL players are important, but they have to be well coached.
Every player can be better football players.

Chick asks if there is an area that needs upgrading. He has not really
studied the different areas. It`s something they`re going to do in the
next few weeks. And go from there.

You have 11 guys. The scheme doesn`t matter. Technique and how
the players fit the scheme matter most.

Hopefully Marvin gets it right this time (hiring a DC).

He went to Baltimore back when Zimmer became a DC.
He wanted to talk to Marvin about stopping the run.
They have a lot of the same philosophies.

If you can get all of the guys on the same page, and they
care about football and care about winning, you`ll be pretty good.

His philosophy is let the players play. Sometime when you play,
you forget that you`re pretty good too. What are we good at ?
Let`s do what we`re good at and let`s go play.

His Dad was a High School football coach for 35 years.

Marvin says Zimmer is a stickler for technique. And that`s important.
You have to build that from the ground up.

Every team in the NFL has players. Coaches make the difference.

Free Agency isn`t a fix all. They`ll continue to build through the draft.
Zimmer will have a hand in that and the evaluation.

Asked if there would be any changes in any other coaching positions
besides LB coach, Marvin said possibly.

Chad feels like he was unduly chastised for some of his actions.

CHAD JOHNSON WILL NOT BE TRADED.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='623404' date='Jan 16 2008, 09:37 AM']haha, what do you expect? When you're the fill-in guy for guys that suck, how good can you be?[/quote]
I never listen to the feed. Didn't realize he was the fill-in guy. He really really sucks.

I'm actually pretty happy with the hire.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='623404' date='Jan 16 2008, 10:37 AM']haha, what do you expect? When you're the fill-in guy for guys that suck, how good can you be?[/quote]

Living in Wisconsin, I don`t hear much Cincy Sports talk.

What little time I heard that Dude, all he did was bash
and talk about how unimpressed he is.

He said he had to open his vents from listening to all that.
And was like "what was that ?"

I just clicked it off. If I wanted to hear an asshole,
I`d fart or go to a Stealers board . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals D. Coordinator [/b][/size]

In a few hours, they'll introduce M. Zimmer as ML's 3rd DC in 5 years. Zimmer's resume suggests he's a solid choice. Hard to discount that he worked for Parcells in Dallas and the D there improved on his watch. A few things:

It's the players. Coaches w/o players are like gin w/o tonic. Do-able, but I wouldnt recommend it. Ask Lewis and B. Billick, defensive and offensive geniuses, respectively. Ask yourself: When was the last time the Bengals had enough good players on defense?

Zimmer can hold people accountable, he can scheme to his heart's content. Without players, improvement suffers.

Did Bresnahan suddenly get stupid? Was he smart enough to coach a Raiders D to a Super Bowl? Did D. LeBeau's IQ shoot up when he returned to Pittsburgh?

Players.

The Bengals need an identity on defense. They need to figure out who they want to be and acquire players to make that happen. Will they do that? Look at the track record for 17 years.

Injuries? Every team has 'em... Indy won w/o Harrison, Mathis and Freeney for stretches... Steelers won the division w/Polamalu hurt much of the year, Aaron Smith out. Redskins win their last 4 to make the playoffs w/half their starting OL out, their starting QB hurt and their best player murdered. And so on.

Thurman and Nicholson were the Bengals' fault. Pollack? A shame, but really didnt play enough to know how good he could have been. Geathers? We'll see. Ditto for White and Ndukwe. Corners seem solid.

Point is, Mike Zimmer could be named Vince Ryan Parcells and if he doesnt have the players, his impact will be muted. As long as the Bengals insist they draft well and evaluate well, the drive for the more perfect 8-8 will march on, unabated.

[b]posted by Paul Daugherty at 8:43 AM [/b][/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/[/url]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='623295' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:50 AM']Admittedly, it is reassuring to hear positive comments from the fans. Yeah, I know fans are not as informed as the "experts", but I think in a general sense you can get a feel for a guys capabilities. For example, this is very much in contrast to what we heard from the Oakland fan base and there general opinion of Bresnahan. And actually, I believe the Oakland fanbase was dead on in terms of what we could expect and saw in terms of Bres' Defensive philosophy.[/quote]

yeah, you're right. thinking back, they did pretty much call that one.

[quote name='Matt1530homer' post='623519' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:29 PM']What'd he say...maybe I'll slap some sense into him :)[/quote]

Point being 1530homer seems to be in the ATTACK MODE all the time when it comes to the Bengals.
Hey Im all for objectivity but there has to be a balance in all of it.
Why would I want to turn on the radio and hear nothing but bitching about the team day after day.
No good human interest stories? No updates on players getting healthier and contributing next year?
Something.. Anything but constant bemoaning the coach and players..
It gets old and thats why I dont listen to the station anymore......

Hell if I want to read or hear bitching Ill listen to the ole lady or get on this site! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Matt1530homer' post='623519' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:29 PM']What'd he say...maybe I'll slap some sense into him :)[/quote]

Matt - please bitch slap that dude....... I listened to the guy after the presser and I will challenge his listening comprehension skills. He knows nothing about anything and that was the only thing I could take from his 3 hours of fame.

Perhaps you could talk to him and quietly inform him that he is an ass and then tell the Boss someone else should fill-in. Hey like you! What is your take?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='623524' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:42 PM']Point being 1530homer seems to be in the ATTACK MODE all the time when it comes to the Bengals.
Why would I want to turn on the radio and hear nothing but bitching about the team day after day.
No good human interest stories? No updates on players getting healthier and contributing next year?

Hell if I want to read or hear bitching Ill listen to the ole lady or get on this site! :rolleyes:[/quote]

x2 on 1530homer. They lack any objectivity anymore.

The fill-in host (I think his name is nick) threw Zimmer under the bus, day 1 on the job.

Looks like a good hire to me....

Somebody doesn't last as long as he did in a place like Dallas without doing something right. He played for 4 head coaches!

He looks like the most qualified DC Marvin's brought in yet.

I hope the days of the 12 yard cushion are and lack of a pass rush are over....let's go smack somebody in the mouth.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='623524' date='Jan 16 2008, 03:42 PM']Point being 1530homer seems to be in the ATTACK MODE all the time when it comes to the Bengals.

Hell if I want to read or hear bitching Ill listen to the ole lady [color="#FF0000"]or get on this site![/color] :rolleyes:[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='Matt1530homer' post='623528' date='Jan 16 2008, 04:47 PM']Looks like a good hire to me....

Somebody doesn't last as long as he did in a place like Dallas without doing something right. He played for 4 head coaches!

He looks like the most qualified DC Marvin's brought in yet.

I hope the days of the 12 yard cushion are and lack of a pass rush are over....let's go smack somebody in the mouth.[/quote]

Agreed. And if you apply this to Coyle, who has survived now his fourth DC, he must be doing something correct. However, I can't still explain Dline coach Hayes, who is now on is 3rd DC.......someone please help me understand :panicbutton:

[quote name='Phatcat' post='623597' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:02 PM']Agreed. And if you apply this to Coyle, who has survived now his fourth DC, he must be doing something correct. However, I can't still explain Dline coach Hayes, who is now on is 3rd DC.......someone please help me understand :panicbutton:[/quote]

I don't understand why the Hayes boys are still here...if this team had a pass rush, the DBs could do so much more out there. You can't cover somebody forever

The Hayes boys must be a package deal with Marvin...or they have photos...

Im not ready to throw Jonathan Hayes under the bus yet....looking at his crew of tightends thru the years
one can only surmise that he plays them to the best of their abilities...he hasnt had much to work with .
Jay Hayes .......Im trying to think of one DT that we could have called a star in the making...Peko comes to mind and he seems to be improving .. He needs a partner to compliment him with ... Ellis? Sims?
The rest of them are journeymen ... Our DE's havent panned out for the most part..
Geathers has to bounce back and hopefuly he plays on the opposite side this year......Smith seems to be a hard head than thinks he can get by with bullrushing and nothing else....
Is Jay Hayes really that bad or does he not have the talent to put together a good unit based on the players he has to work with.. Its time for the team to get him some help along the line....

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='623648' date='Jan 16 2008, 05:34 PM']Im not ready to throw Jonathan Hayes under the bus yet....looking at his crew of tightends thru the years
one can only surmise that he plays them to the best of their abilities...he hasnt had much to work with .
Jay Hayes .......Im trying to think of one DT that we could have called a star in the making...Peko comes to mind and he seems to be improving .. He needs a partner to compliment him with ... Ellis? Sims?
The rest of them are journeymen ... Our DE's havent panned out for the most part..
Geathers has to bounce back and hopefuly he plays on the opposite side this year......Smith seems to be a hard head than thinks he can get by with bullrushing and nothing else....
Is Jay Hayes really that bad or does he not have the talent to put together a good unit based on the players he has to work with.. Its time for the team to get him some help along the line....[/quote]

I think both haven't had a lot to work with, generally. I think with Zimmer coming in, with his focus on technique, IF Justin is re-signed, we might see a different player. One can hope. I found it interesting that when Zim was asked at the press conference if he had a chance to evaluate the Bengal defenders, he specifically mentioned the young guys in the backfield, and some LBs... but not the DL. May have just been an inadvertent admission... or not.

Archived