Julius Jones or Darren McFadden

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624002' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:23 PM']that's odd, I'd say Jones is much more like Rudi than Barber is. IMO, Jones is a younger, faster, Rudi with more moves.[/quote]

I think Jones is faster and shiftier than Rudi, but that's not hard to do these days. Jones hasn't impressed me for awhile... he doesn't run hard, doesn't really make people miss... just not very impressive. He's gotten worse, not better. Not sure if it's the environment, or what. I remember Parcells was on him about his not being though enough. Assuming the Bengal RBs are healthy, I wouldn't touch Jones.

Barber is an interesting player. I think some of his effectiveness was due to how he was used... later in games, when his running style (like someone with his hair on fire, really physical) wore defenses down. As a 15 carry a game guy, I think he's great... but I'm not sure how he would do as an every-down back. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Julius be let go via FA, but with 2 1st round picks, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Felix Jones or Steve Slayton type, who are more change of pace guys, get picked by the Cowboys. Marion wore down in the Giants game, when he was "officially" the starter for the first time. He was awesome in the first half, but did absolutely nothing in the 2nd helf. I think he was totally gassed.

Felix Jones is a really good back who can do a lot of things - catch, run, and return punts and KOs. Exciting player with home-run speed.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='624083' date='Jan 17 2008, 05:59 PM']we need like 3 linebackers...

trade TJ for a 2nd and pick LB,LB,LB DE, OL, WR, OL, DL[/quote]

Disagree. We need a DT to upgrade from Thornton and a DE to upgrade from Smith more than more LBs. I think we're more likely to sign a FA LB than DL though. If the D-line were stronger and could generate some pass rush, our LBs would look a lot better. Jeanty is an ok SLB, Brooks should be healthy by now, and I expect Jones will re-up. Thurman's situation should be resolved either way before the start of free agency, probably with reinstatement. I don't expect Marshall, Miller, Landon, Schlegel, Maxwell, or Mayes back but if we sign a Suggs, Dansby, Briggs type and use a second day draft pick, we should be fine. We can sign a couple of vet minimum types for teams and to round out the depth chart.

I'm more concerned with quality rather than quantity on the D-line, shoring up the O-line, and finding a well rounded TE.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='623952' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:09 PM']sweet! I'd love Julius Jones as a free agent pickup.

McFadden, not so much unless the D-line is fixed through free agency.[/quote]

I say the opposite, Mcfadden is a BEAST !!!! A major star in the NFL ! I'll pass on Jones.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='623968' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:45 PM'][b]who said we need dline help?[/b]

geathers/peko/jt&myers/one of our or [b]a drafted DE[/b]...

we need linebackers... line.....backers...[/quote]
Why silly, I believe YOU just said it!
Smith will be gone, and I am going to keep saying it until I am blue in the face...our dline is BELOW AVERAGE. Plus, aren't we going to have to see how many of our suspended/injured LB's might come back before slotting LB's for the draft? Marshall was good, he may be back, we resign Landon possibly, outside shots at Odell and Pollack, Jones will likely be here, Henderson back, Jeanty back...how many LB's do we need?
Although I would agree that a good LB within the first three picks would likely be wise, as long as there are a couple Dline picks in there too. Not totally sold on Peko, Meyers is average, Geathers is good, Thornton is Thornton, etc, etc...
How do you say we don't need a dlineman high in this draft?

[quote name='cwing' post='623974' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:50 PM']Did he not lose his job to a very Rudi like player?[/quote]
Barber catches passes and flat out runs peeps over. And scores TD's. Rudi doesn't do that, at least not anymore, unless he was/is more hurt than we were led to believe. He could be back to form, and by back to form I mean 3 yards a carry instead of 2.

[quote name='sparky151' post='624114' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:58 PM']Disagree. We need a DT to upgrade from Thornton and a DE to upgrade from Smith more than more LBs. I think we're more likely to sign a FA LB than DL though. If the D-line were stronger and could generate some pass rush, our LBs would look a lot better. Jeanty is an ok SLB, Brooks should be healthy by now, and I expect Jones will re-up. Thurman's situation should be resolved either way before the start of free agency, probably with reinstatement. I don't expect Marshall, Miller, Landon, Schlegel, Maxwell, or Mayes back but if we sign a Suggs, Dansby, Briggs type and use a second day draft pick, we should be fine. We can sign a couple of vet minimum types for teams and to round out the depth chart.

I'm more concerned with quality rather than quantity on the D-line, shoring up the O-line, and finding a well rounded TE.[/quote]
I completely agree with the caveat that I do believe that one of the aforementioned LB's WILL be back (Marshall, although achilles injuries are tough to come back from, Landon or Miller).

[quote name='bubba' post='624134' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:16 PM']I say the opposite, Mcfadden is a BEAST !!!! A major star in the NFL ! I'll pass on Jones.[/quote]
I just don't think he'll be there when we pick, and if he is, and all our defensive guys we wanted are gone too, I hope we trade down for more picks.

Running backs are all over the place in the NFL.....
McFadden could be a beast or he could be Cedric Benson ( another beast as I recall)...
This team has a stable full of running backs and for the amount invested in them it seems
logical to hope theyre healthy and let them run with it...

The defense especially the front seven has kept this franchise lagging behind other teams.
Its time to draft sensibly and acquire the services of players that can make the defense
top caliber.....
Im tire of spinning wheels with this defense.. time to set the wheels in motion!

[quote name='bubba' post='624134' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:16 PM']I say the opposite, Mcfadden is a BEAST !!!! A major star in the NFL ! I'll pass on Jones.[/quote]

really, what has Mcfadden done in the NFL to make him a major star?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='624149' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:50 PM']Running backs are all over the place in the NFL.....
McFadden could be a beast or he could be Cedric Benson ( another beast as I recall)...
This team has a stable full of running backs and for the amount invested in them it seems
logical to hope theyre healthy and let them run with it...

The defense especially the front seven has kept this franchise lagging behind other teams.
Its time to draft sensibly and acquire the services of players that can make the defense
top caliber.....
Im tire of spinning wheels with this defense.. time to set the wheels in motion![/quote]

:applaud:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='623968' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:45 PM']who said we need dline help?

geathers/peko/jt&myers/one of our or a drafted DE...

we need [color="#FF0000"][b][size=3]healthy[/size][/b][/color] linebackers... line.....backers...[/quote]

I think the LBs we have are fine if they can stay healthy for 16 games.

Our D-line was healthy all year and sucked anyway.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='623968' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:45 PM']who said we need dline help?

geathers/peko/jt&myers/one of our or a drafted DE...

we need linebackers... line.....backers...[/quote]

Please. Our front 4 does not get anywhere near the type of pressure that they should in a 4-3. We are always getting beat on 3rd and long because we can't get to the QB without sending the house. I say roll the dice on Gholston or Ellis.

I think if we are going to take a running back, I would [b]much[/b] rather have Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart than Julius Jones, and unless we trade up 7 spots there's no way we get McFadden.

Jones has never carried the load as a feature back, and his YPC this season was a very Rudi like 3.9

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='624185' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:14 AM']I think if we are going to take a running back, I would [b]much[/b] rather have Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart than Julius Jones, and unless we trade up 7 spots there's no way we get McFadden.

Jones has never carried the load as a feature back, and his YPC this season was a very Rudi like 3.9[/quote]

i hope all 3 (mcfadden, mendenhall, & stewart) go before our pick....and it sure as hell ain't because i want a LB. :D

[quote name='Bengalnutt' post='624222' date='Jan 18 2008, 05:17 AM']... Just a side note on Mcfadden. Hasn`t he been in trouble with the law a couple time since he has declared for the NFL?????[/quote]
just a couple minor brushes with the police.. Just as long as he hasnt killed anybody...
Ah what the hell.. we could use a guy with killer instincts...

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='624185' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:14 AM']I think if we are going to take a running back, I would [b]much[/b] rather have Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart than Julius Jones, and unless we trade up 7 spots there's no way we get McFadden.

[b]Jones has never carried the load as a feature back,[/b] and his YPC this season was a very Rudi like 3.9[/quote]

I wouldn't say that. He had more than 250 carries in both 2005 and 2006. That would have been more than 20 other starters this year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624231' date='Jan 18 2008, 07:29 AM']I wouldn't say that. He had more than 250 carries in both 2005 and 2006. That would have been more than 20 other starters this year.[/quote]

I know you like him, but he really isn't a durable back, and I wouldn't feature him if you pick him up. As a complementary back, maybe, but I still think he's a risk. On a very productive Cowboy offense in 2007, he brought very little to the table, whether it was YPC or big plays. I'm sure he'll get some looks in the FA market, but I don't think he's as good as a healthy (?) Chris Perry, and I don't believe he has the tools that Irons has.

[quote name='texbengal' post='624233' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:35 AM']I know you like him, but he really isn't a durable back, and I wouldn't feature him if you pick him up. As a complementary back, maybe, but I still think he's a risk. On a very productive Cowboy offense in 2007, he brought very little to the table, whether it was YPC or big plays. I'm sure he'll get some looks in the FA market, but I don't think he's as good as a healthy (?) Chris Perry, and I don't believe he has the tools that Irons has.[/quote]

oh, don't get me wrong, I'd still be using a heavy dose of Irons alongside him. and I agree a healthy Perry is better.

I think (err hope) we keep 4 RB's this year, and I'd be happy with a tandem of: Jones, Perry/Watson, Irons, and Dorsey.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='624236' date='Jan 18 2008, 08:42 AM']oh, don't get me wrong, I'd still be using a heavy dose of Irons alongside him. and I agree a healthy Perry is better.

I think (err hope) we keep 4 RB's this year, and I'd be happy with a tandem of: Jones, Perry/Watson, Irons, and Dorsey.[/quote]

I think that is viable since Dorsey can play ST.

Archived