Slingbox for Blackberry... THANK GOD!

[url="http://beta.slingmedia.com"]http://beta.slingmedia.com[/url] you can signup for beta testing, add your box if you have one as well as what device you want to test, such as the blackberry, they opened this up for blackberry beta testing yesterday.

cant fuckin wait...

[quote name='J. Lindsey' post='624733' date='Jan 19 2008, 03:50 AM']I have a question about the Slingbox in general:

Can you record things from it on a PC (Vista) such as Halo 3 in HD?

Maybe a third party program?

I was thinking about buying one for that specific reason, but if it cant do it then I probably wont buy it.

Thanks in Advance[/quote]

in that same beta page they are launching sling capture.. so in the near future, yes, but as of this second, no, it should be out by summer. now if you have a DVR, you can get the slingbox to playback your DVR material remotely, which is cool. but its not a capture device as much as a watch remotely device. I have a tv tuner card in my pc for recording, windows media center in vista does a great job of recording stuff for me.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625101' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:57 PM']Am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure they've had slingbox apps for things like my Q for a few years now.[/quote]

right. its for the blackberry, they have had windows and palm version for years, not the blackberry tho.

and the crackberry cult has been anxious... very anxious.....

*bites nails*

PS: if you do a decent amount of email, nothing beats a blackberry, nothing even close. and given the dvancement and popularity, there is almost nothing the bbery cant do, they used to have attachment issues and windows document issues, but thats years in the past, the blackberry is god of the PDA's... faster and more secure than any other. and the OS is no resource hog like windows mobile can be.

is your Q through verizon or Sprint?

I'm through Verizon. I'm on my 4th one. My first 3 broke due to internal faults. Nothing I ever did.

As I understand they rushed it off the line back when it came out. The first two I lost because the first OS it had (what the phone uses, not the Windows mobile it comes with) create some ungodly power issues. I used it for awhile with email and loved it. But Verizon has a 40 dollar bulk packageso I've since gotten rid of it. I also used it as a wireless modem when I was out in California for a few weeks over the summer. It was a really good product for that too, even though the lap top software is pretty crude.

I want something that'll interface with Wifi I think, but I do like the Qs slim package. I've heard better things about the Q black. I also like it because I get Verizon service (which I consider very good), but it isn't locked down like regular verizon phones with V cast and other restrictive software.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625399' date='Jan 21 2008, 04:56 PM']I'm through Verizon. I'm on my 4th one. My first 3 broke due to internal faults. Nothing I ever did.

As I understand they rushed it off the line back when it came out. The first two I lost because the first OS it had (what the phone uses, not the Windows mobile it comes with) create some ungodly power issues. I used it for awhile with email and loved it. But Verizon has a 40 dollar bulk packageso I've since gotten rid of it. I also used it as a wireless modem when I was out in California for a few weeks over the summer. It was a really good product for that too, even though the lap top software is pretty crude.

I want something that'll interface with Wifi I think, but I do like the Qs slim package. I've heard better things about the Q black. I also like it because I get Verizon service (which I consider very good), but it isn't locked down like regular verizon phones with V cast and other restrictive software.[/quote]

the Q was in general the worst PDA released in the last 4 years, it had the highest return and repair rate of any pda solid since 2002. the new Q seems to do much better, and after some firmware updates the original became stable. its a cool device....

ive never seen a blackberry crash... but its locked down from frills mostly too, as you see its just now getting sling player 2-3 years later..

ill elaborate more shortly.. kids cryin.

The latest Q, Q9M has windows mobile 6. It appears so far to be a more stable version of mobile windows. Fewer crashes and hard resets. Yes, the blackberry is a very stable os; it just lacks some excitement. I'm up in the air, the HTC 6800, with wi-fi, sounds awesome. It's so damn large though. Guess I'll just grab a Voyager, but I want that wi-fi.

wifi will be a very big sticking point with me.

The voyager looks to be a very sleek product though. Good iphone competitor with a much better service provider.

I always do my homework, and did with the Q. I knew what I was getting, but Treo's and such were our of my budget at the time. And it was my first smartphone. Not knowing if they were something I reall wanted to switch too. So I got the insurance. My first two were replace inside of warranty. The latest one was outside, so I had to do the 50$ premium all while paying the 4 bucks a month or so I've been paying since I got it. However, since on occassion I do combat training with my phone, I figured it was justified.

This last replacement was their fault though so I was pretty pissed. Long story, but I'm still unhappy about it. If there was a company out there that gave a damn I'd switch.

My 3rd Q had the new OS. It was pretty stable. Less reboots, better battery usage. And it lasted more than a month or two like the first two.

The black is supposed to be better all around.

I've seen the Q Music, and I've heard of the 9 when I was on the message boards learning about my phone. Are they the same thing then? I haven't read about them in awhile.

Honestly, I won't find the time to max out my phone, and laptop, and computer, and school, and etc. etc. etc. My phone isn't that important to me. So I need something ready to go with a lot of features right out of the box. I also like it to be capable and compatible because my needs change often. For instance needing to use the wireless modem feature.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625529' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:43 PM']wifi will be a very big sticking point with me.

The voyager looks to be a very sleek product though. Good iphone competitor with a much better service provider.

I always do my homework, and did with the Q. I knew what I was getting, but Treo's and such were our of my budget at the time. And it was my first smartphone. Not knowing if they were something I reall wanted to switch too. So I got the insurance. My first two were replace inside of warranty. The latest one was outside, so I had to do the 50$ premium all while paying the 4 bucks a month or so I've been paying since I got it. However, since on occassion I do combat training with my phone, I figured it was justified.

This last replacement was their fault though so I was pretty pissed. Long story, but I'm still unhappy about it. If there was a company out there that gave a damn I'd switch.

My 3rd Q had the new OS. It was pretty stable. Less reboots, better battery usage. And it lasted more than a month or two like the first two.

The black is supposed to be better all around.

I've seen the Q Music, and I've heard of the 9 when I was on the message boards learning about my phone. Are they the same thing then? I haven't read about them in awhile.

Honestly, I won't find the time to max out my phone, and laptop, and computer, and school, and etc. etc. etc. My phone isn't that important to me. So I need something ready to go with a lot of features right out of the box. I also like it to be capable and compatible because my needs change often. For instance needing to use the wireless modem feature.[/quote]

good call on the insurance, unless you get the freebee phone, insurance is always a good call. palm devices arent much more stable, they will be releasing some linux based phones this summer, which should be outstanding. all opensource, similar to googles idea whatever they are doing with an open source phone...

some cool shits coming down the pipeline for wireless devices this year... live streaming tv stations braodband speeds enough to handle tv quality live streams, 10-25mb speed wireless web, etc..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='625535' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:28 AM']good call on the insurance, unless you get the freebee phone, insurance is always a good call. palm devices arent much more stable, they will be releasing some linux based phones this summer, which should be outstanding. all opensource, similar to googles idea whatever they are doing with an open source phone...

some cool shits coming down the pipeline for wireless devices this year... live streaming tv stations braodband speeds enough to handle tv quality live streams, 10-25mb speed wireless web, etc..[/quote]

Good to know on the next gen features. I've been thinking about holding out, because other than wifi, I'm generally happy with the Q.

The Treos had at the time a stylus, a better office suite, and wifi. I can't remember, but it was better all around.

Archived