The Age of Warming

ScarletKnight

I hope everyone gets the chance to watch the Age of Warming on CBS....I am assuming however, that most Americans will be watching footbal. Which, is obviously way more important.

Anyway, I am not sure what it will take to get American to put their footdown and do something about global warming. See the US is the number one producer of green house gases...so not only are we ruining the earth for ourselves...but for everyone else on the planet as well. Real nice right?

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='625099' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:54 PM']It's 8 degrees outside my house right now. It's -1 at the football game I'm watching. ^_^[/quote]

It was in the single digits with the wind chill factor here today....

think Ill go spray some aerosol in the sky. :ninja:

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='625099' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:54 PM']It's 8 degrees outside my house right now. It's -1 at the football game I'm watching. ^_^[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625100' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:56 PM']It was in the single digits with the wind chill factor here today....

think Ill go spray some aerosol in the sky. :ninja:[/quote]

Well....if you guys watched the program or did a little bit of research you would find that the areas that are heating the fastest are the poles. North pole is now almost half the size it was in 1979.

The special also had a white house scientist who said that he was not allowed to reveal his findings to the public and all of his press releases were "edited." In fact he was repremanded for using the word danger in one of his talks. Awesome.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625107' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:10 PM']Well....if you guys watched the program or did a little bit of research you would find that the areas that are heating the fastest are the poles. North pole is now almost half the size it was in 1979.

The special also had a white house scientist who said that he was not allowed to reveal his findings to the public and all of his press releases were "edited." In fact he was repremanded for using the word danger in one of his talks. Awesome.[/quote]

Hey I'm doing my part, just today I refrained from eating Taco Bell so that I could stay within my daily allowance of "carbon emissions". :P

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625098' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:50 PM']I hope everyone gets the chance to watch the Age of Warming on CBS....I am assuming however, that most Americans will be watching footbal. Which, is obviously way more important.

Anyway, I am not sure what it will take to get American to put their footdown and do something about global warming. See the US is the number one producer of green house gases...so not only are we ruining the earth for ourselves...but for everyone else on the planet as well. Real nice right?[/quote]
[url="http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19468"]Visit My Website[/url]

Here you go. And yes football is way more important than something that is not true.

[quote name='number85' post='625113' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:23 PM'][url="http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19468"]Visit My Website[/url]

Here you go. And yes football is way more important than something that is not true.[/quote]

Bad source - a conservitive source? have anything more nutral?

However Im somewhere in the middle of you two as much as Im enjoying poking fun at Scarlet. There are issues, but its no where near as bad as what some are being disenguous about.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625114' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:27 PM']Bad source - a conservitive source? have anything more nutral?

However Im somewhere in the middle of you two as much as Im enjoying poking fun at Scarlet. There are issues, but its no where near as bad as what some are being disenguous about.[/quote]

This is hysterical, so if the problems aren't bad what exactly does that mean. Does that leave excuse for these problems to be ignored? I don't think so. A problem is a problem and needs to be fixed no matter how large or small. And if because its a "small" problem that means we can let it go for a while...its just going to turn into a larger problem.

In otherwords, I see nothing wrong with trying to fix a problem that pertains to everyTHING on the planet (not just humans).

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625116' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:34 PM']This is hysterical, so if the problems aren't bad what exactly does that mean. Does that leave excuse for these problems to be ignored? I don't think so. A problem is a problem and needs to be fixed no matter how large or small. And if because its a "small" problem that means we can let it go for a while...its just going to turn into a larger problem.

In otherwords, I see nothing wrong with trying to fix a problem that pertains to everyTHING on the planet (not just humans).[/quote]

I like you Scarlet, but spend more time with this topic if you care about it as much as you do.

Scott Pelley report for 60 minutes right?

[url="http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759"]http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759[/url]

[quote]It even featured correspondent Scott Pelley claiming that the ice in Greenland was melting so fast, that he barely got off an ice-berg before it collapsed into the water.

“60 Minutes” failed to inform its viewers that a 2005 study by a scientist named Ola Johannessen and his colleagues showing that the interior of Greenland is gaining ice and mass and that according to scientists, the Arctic was warmer in the 1930’s than today.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625120' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:42 PM']I like you Scarlet, but spend more time with this topic if you care about it as much as you do.

Scott Pelley report for 60 minutes right?

[url="http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759"]http://epw.senate.gov/speechitem.cfm?party=rep&id=263759[/url][/quote]

Hmm...well then I wonder why the north pole has gotten smaller...that is if its gaining ice and all.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625122' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:48 PM']Hmm...well then I wonder why the north pole has gotten smaller...that is if its gaining ice and all.[/quote]

Because due to increased population Santa has had to sell off some of the land? :lol:

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625122' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:48 PM']Hmm...well then I wonder why the north pole has gotten smaller...that is if its gaining ice and all.[/quote]

How long have we been taking detailed records of the size of the North Pole? How can we be sure the North Pole's size doesn't change cyclically, and we don't have the records to know.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='625126' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:51 PM']How long have we been taking detailed records of the size of the North Pole? How can we be sure the North Pole's size doesn't change cyclically, and we don't have the records to know.[/quote]

This is why this planet is doomed.

Most people only know how to contribute to the problem.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625134' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:03 PM']Is that not a fair question?[/quote]

Sure, and I am sure that there is an answer somewhere. I am not going to search the internet and bring up some website to prove my case...as easy as that is to do, especially since that is common practice on here. Let me go look at an article that agrees with what I say and use it as proof...because that means I must be right.

I think it is silly to think that there is no global warming going on. The white house hired scientists whom have come to this conclusion (and of course then told them to shut up). I would assume that the white house isn't hiring billy joe from the boon docks to do their research.

But its ok, if you dont believe in global warming fine. Theres plenty else going on to talk about, hmm...for instance multple states in the U.S are now facing water shortages and are starting to have to go outside to get their water.

How about the fact that our economy is based on oil...what happens when thats gone?

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625128' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:56 PM']This is why this planet is doomed.

Most people only know how to contribute to the problem.[/quote]

I of course asked that question knowing full well you either didn't know or knew the answer is, what, 100, 150, years at most? And we're ready to categorically say that the North Pole is shrinking in a devastating manner? Umm, k. :rolleyes:

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625137' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:15 PM']Sure, and I am sure that there is an answer somewhere. I am not going to search the internet and bring up some website to prove my case...as easy as that is to do, especially since that is common practice on here. Let me go look at an article that agrees with what I say and use it as proof...because that means I must be right.

I think it is silly to think that there is no global warming going on. The white house hired scientists whom have come to this conclusion (and of course then told them to shut up). I would assume that the white house isn't hiring billy joe from the boon docks to do their research.

But its ok, if you dont believe in global warming fine. Theres plenty else going on to talk about, hmm...for instance multple states in the U.S are now facing water shortages and are starting to have to go outside to get their water.

How about the fact that our economy is based on oil...what happens when thats gone?[/quote]

Or I could watch a TV report that does the same thing.

The souce I gave you was from the US Senate Committee on Enviorment & Public Works. Not some coservitive blog. Little bit of difference. ;)

When did I say I didnt belive it? I belive what I was saying was that I dont think its as bad as some make it out to be.

Well can we take the water melting from the ice caps and distill it to fix the water issues? ^_^

Guess we should be looking into alternitives no?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='625138' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:17 PM']I of course asked that question knowing full well you either didn't know or knew the answer is, what, 100, 150, years at most? And we're ready to categorically say that the North Pole is shrinking in a devastating manner? Umm, k. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well....from what I have read and watched on TV, scientists have been doing research deep into the ice to see what the ice contains and have come to the conclusion that green house gases have become present in the last 100 years, and now the ice is melting.

So if they can tell how long the ice has been there then I am pretty sure it hasnt melted and then reformed in the same places (they said that the ice has been there for 850,000 years at the least)

There is no question that the poles are melting.

They have footage from 1994 of a scientist walking on ice accross chile and that ice is no longer there. Thats pretty serious stuff right there.

Still, if the poles are melting...then that means changes elsewhere. With that said what is wrong with trying to clean the air up to help improve the situation (even if the science is wrong)? Theres no consequence in trying to solve a problem...but if the science is right and people dont do nething then there is a consequence.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625139' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:22 PM']Or I could watch a TV report that does the same thing.

The souce I gave you was from the US Senate Committee on Enviorment & Public Works. Not some coservitive blog. Little bit of difference. ;)

When did I say I didnt belive it? I belive what I was saying was that I dont think its as bad as some make it out to be.

Well can we take the water melting from the ice caps and distill it to fix the water issues? ^_^

Guess we should be looking into alternitives no?[/quote]

Apparently glacial run off is a big source of water for people in South America. Since the ice is melting there has been less glacial run off and this is producing a problem for people. I am no so sure that the problem is only related to the amount of water there is, but also the fact that it takes a long time to clean and recycle the water when there are huge populations in one area.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625143' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:30 PM']Apparently glacial run off is a big source of water for people in South America. Since the ice is melting there has been less glacial run off and this is producing a problem for people. I am no so sure that the problem is only related to the amount of water there is, but also the fact that it takes a long time to clean and recycle the water when there are huge populations in one area.[/quote]

Well Polar Bear piss takes a while to get out of the water Im sure. :P

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625143' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:30 PM']Apparently glacial run off is a big source of water for people in South America. Since the ice is melting there has been less glacial run off and this is producing a problem for people. I am no so sure that the problem is only related to the amount of water there is, but also the fact that it takes a long time to clean and recycle the water when there are huge populations in one area.[/quote]
[i]More[/i] ice melting into a river/stream/waterway in the mountains equals MORE water for the valley below, not less.
I agree with you in this: there is no doubt that the Industrial Revolution has perpetrated more carbon emissions into the atmosphere than ever before, due to the burning of fossil fuels. There is no argument there at all.
We also know that the Earth and her atmosphere are a self-cleaning mechanism.
What we categorically do NOT know is how much our "carbon footprint" is truly affecting the air we breathe or the climate we live in.
Earth has demonstrated a remarkable cyclic activity with regards to almost EVERY geologic instance, from volcanoes to earthquakes.
It defeinetely remains to be seen what effect we truly have on the environment. I'm inclined to agree that more people equals more pollution...but doesn't the Earth always seem to have a resolution for that? See: the dinosaurs.

For those who dismiss global warming, or the effect of human activity on global warming, or simply find concern over environmental issues to be, somehow, distasteful, you cannot escape the fact that petrol reserves are finite and, more immediately, the rate at which oil can be extracted from the ground [i]at any cost[/i] is bound to peak. The exact time of a peak is imprecise, but even conservative estimates put it in most of our lifetimes. Couple this with ever-increasing demand, particularly from developing countries, and even from a deluded 'fuck environmentalism' standpoint which one might justify as a (weak) appeal to practicality, one has reason to be interested in alternative energy sources and, more generally, sustainability.

Archived