The Age of Warming

ScarletKnight

BTW, I drive 4 cylinders and recycle everything that can be recycled. But I suppose since I haven't chained myself to a coal plant lately, then I'm just a fat ass lazy American who doesn't give a damn. Only if I watched that show, then I'd be a better person ...

[quote name='steggyD' post='625526' date='Jan 21 2008, 11:27 PM']BTW, I drive 4 cylinders and recycle everything that can be recycled. But I suppose since I haven't chained myself to a coal plant lately, then I'm just a fat ass lazy American who doesn't give a damn. Only if I watched that show, then I'd be a better person ...[/quote]

HA, perhaps you shouldnt take comments not quite directed at anyone in particular so personally. No watching one program means nothing at all, its not about watching a program its about getting up and doing something.

Its really good that you drive 4 cylinder cars and recycle, thats doing your part. Problem is that not everyone is on board with that, maybe try and convince some friends to be as eco-friendly as you are.

There are other ways to impact things...for instance writing letters to senators, going to town meetings, being involved in the local community. There is plenty to do in order to help and when enough people jump on board thats when big change happens. Getting up and doing something doesn't have to mean being a crazy radical and chaining yourself onto something. Not everyone who cares about the environment and welfare of others runs around like a lunatic.

Like someone said above, perhaps watching important shows would wake people up, but then again, importance isn't entertainment, and entertainment is more revered. I don't just watch one show and call it a day...its more like read articles, watch documentaries, put on tv programs, and take classes.

Edit:

What did I do to save anyone? Huh? You don't know what you need to be saved from? Ehm?

First of all I was talking about global warming and the affects global warming will have on the planet for the next hundred or so years. Science is saying that if we don't stop producing the amount of greenhouse gases that we do, the process will soon be irreversible. Right or wrong, I think that means we should take a stab at trying our best to stop the damage as best we could. Try breathing your 4 cylinder car fumes for a few minutes and see how you feel, its pretty obvious that one way or another these green house gases are not good for humans nor the environment. See thats not all, for if the environment were perfectly fine we would still have to worry about the fact that we are taping out our oil resources soon enough. Yet we have yet to transfer over to any other type of fuel source and no one seems to be too worried. There is no question that there are problems that need to be solved. It's really not that hard to understand. The longer you wait to act the worse off the problem is and the more damage control there will be.

As far as my actions...I have started a local organization to specifically address such issues....among other things.

The issue at hand is not what have I done, its what have you done? I can make a list for you, but I don't think it will do much but give you something to say "yeah right", "I don't believe you", or "thats stupid" to.

Perhaps you can tell me the secret to getting people inspired to take action.

the type of people that piss me off is the ones that preach to better the environment, then put out a movie that is based on a bunch of half truths and some lies, gets a nobel peace prize, and then gets in his super jet and does a world wide tour that puts out more of the gasses than any 100 people combined...

i am like steggy, i recycle everything i can, keep my heat at 68 in the winter and the air at 78 in the summer... Hell, my wife even hang up cloths downstairs instead of using the dryer for our nice clothes, but its more to do w/ the cloths lasting... And i do all of this and say that this green peace movement is total bullshit, based on scare tactics and lies, and people wanting to control us...

i want to live a better environment, but you eco-wackos can stay the fuck away from me...

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='625107' date='Jan 20 2008, 08:10 PM']Well....if you guys watched the program or did a little bit of research you would find that the areas that are heating the fastest are the poles. North pole is now almost half the size it was in 1979.

The special also had a white house scientist who said that he was not allowed to reveal his findings to the public and all of his press releases were "edited." In fact he was repremanded for using the word danger in one of his talks. Awesome.[/quote]

The planet may well be warming. But I have news for you Scarlet. Our environment is cyclical. This happens every so many years. Heck, it wan't but 50 or 60 years ago the scientists were worried about global cooling. Show me any evidence that proves conclusively that man is at fault for global warming.

I do my part

I drive my 1974 AMX with a rebulit 360 bored .30 over with a competition cam, 4blr carb, ed intake, straight cut outlet exhaust, 4 on the floor

she gets about 5 miles to the gallon but is 422 horses.

I do my part driving her around

I love it when I smoke the tires next to a little 4 banger eco car......i laugh

:lol:

[quote name='Jason' post='625699' date='Jan 22 2008, 02:46 PM']The planet may well be warming. But I have news for you Scarlet. Our environment is cyclical. This happens every so many years. Heck, it wan't but 50 or 60 years ago the scientists were worried about global cooling. Show me any evidence that proves conclusively that man is at fault for global warming.[/quote]
It wasn't even that long ago. Try 25-30 years.
Newsweek: April 25, 1975
[url="http://www.denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm"]http://www.denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm[/url]
Also watch the 1980 series "Cosmos" with Carl Sagan, currently rerunning on the Science Channel. He warns about global cooling for the exact same reasons we talk about global warming now.

If I am not mistaken isn't the theory that global warming will cause global cooling? Theres a processes to the whole thing, of course thats what I hear.

Yeah I apologize that you hate people who step out of line of the everyday pattern of "sit on ur ass" and do nothing.

As far as whoever said something about hating people who win the nobel prize for half truths, well its better than no truths. If your so idealistic that someone out there is full of the full truth and knows everything and can make every single connection your invited to point me in this persons direction.

I hate people who hate people for getting off their ass and trying to do something.

I don't need to prove any science, I think its pretty self evident that we are destrying the environment one way or another. If its not global warming, dumping plastic into the ocean (now the size of texas) or blah blah blah. Theres a long list of things that tear the environment up, but again my bad for being concerned.

Oh and by the way if your not concerned with global warming, then why the hell aren't you concerned with the fact that your inhaling corroding gases into your lungs. You refuse to give a shit about the "environment" but I guess you fail to see the connection that WE LIVE IN THE ENVIRONMENT, we are affected by the shit that gets plunged into the air. I invite whoever it was to breath in the exhaust fumes of their 5 mile to the gallon car and see how manly they feel afterwards.

I just want to add as well, that the global cooling theory was not widely accepted by scientists when it came out. It got more attention in the press than the actual science community and was considered obsolete even at that time. I think its pretty widely accepted that global warming is occuring, funny how 20 years ago people were arguing that there was no such thing. Finally people can't deny it, but now they argue what it is caused by.

Of course if humans have nothing to do with global warming than it excuses them from being concerned with anything (like usual) and allows people to continue to have their luxuries (not necessities) for longer and without a guilty conscious. Maybe 20 years from now some of you will have your foot in your mouths when there is no arguing about why climate change is occuring (perhaps thats a better phrase to use).

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='626646' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:43 PM']If I am not mistaken isn't the theory that global warming will cause global cooling? Theres a processes to the whole thing, of course thats what I hear.

Yeah I apologize that you hate people who step out of line of the everyday pattern of "sit on ur ass" and do nothing.

As far as whoever said something about hating people who win the nobel prize for half truths, well its better than no truths. If your so idealistic that someone out there is full of the full truth and knows everything and can make every single connection your invited to point me in this persons direction.

I hate people who hate people for getting off their ass and trying to do something.

I don't need to prove any science, I think its pretty self evident that we are destrying the environment one way or another. If its not global warming, dumping plastic into the ocean (now the size of texas) or blah blah blah. Theres a long list of things that tear the environment up, but again my bad for being concerned.

Oh and by the way if your not concerned with global warming, then why the hell aren't you concerned with the fact that your inhaling corroding gases into your lungs. You refuse to give a shit about the "environment" but I guess you fail to see the connection that WE LIVE IN THE ENVIRONMENT, we are affected by the shit that gets plunged into the air. I invite whoever it was to breath in the exhaust fumes of their 5 mile to the gallon car and see how manly they feel afterwards.[/quote]

you need to learn to read...

btw: half truths = lies

and that is true in life as well so you can add that to your list of life lessons...

you are the prototypical eco wacko i was speaking of...

Yeah, go call me names so that you can ignore any of my points and make them seem less valid. What is your point? Your a football wacko...but thats accepted right? Its ok for someone to spend their life obssessed with something as long as it has no meaning.

Oh wait did I just say that? Yes. Before you go on a tirade about how I am on a football site and that I am some ass for saying that because (whatever reason you can make up) understand that I watch and enjoy sports myself I just know their place.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='626646' date='Jan 24 2008, 09:43 PM'][b]If I am not mistaken isn't the theory that global warming will cause global cooling? Theres a processes to the whole thing, of course thats what I hear.

I hate people who hate people for getting off their ass and trying to do something.[/b]

[i]You are your own worst enemy here; not only are you condescending, you assume to much about people that disagree with your view.[/i]

[b]I don't need to prove any science[/b], I think its pretty self evident that we are destrying the environment one way or another. If its not global warming, dumping plastic into the ocean (now the size of texas) or blah blah blah. Theres a long list of things that tear the environment up, but again my bad for being concerned.

[i]Yes, you most assuredly do.[/i]

[b]Oh and by the way if your not concerned with global warming, then why the hell aren't you concerned with the fact that your inhaling corroding gases into your lungs. You refuse to give a shit about the "environment" but I guess you fail to see the connection that WE LIVE IN THE ENVIRONMENT, we are affected by the shit that gets plunged into the air. I invite whoever it was to breath in the exhaust fumes of their 5 mile to the gallon car and see how manly they feel afterwards.[/b][/quote]

[i]You again assume nobody cares because they disagree with you and the paid-off lobby scientists that have been circulating this "data".
There is a genuine debate amongst scientists about this issue and it's outcome is FAR from clear. To openly take sides on this issue is a political decision, not an altrustic one.

I agree that pollution is bad, and that the Earth is polluting as never before and we are observing some Earth and atmosphere issues that we've never observed before. But since the Earth is 4 billion years old and our observable science is about 150 years old, you can see how coming to an alternative conclusion regarding pollution and the Earth's ability to "cleanse itself" of it can come into play, especially since there has never been a powerful political lobby behind such allegations as before.
You're not wrong, Scarlet, but your indignation at others expressing their opinions on a thread that YOU started sure come off as a lecture.[/i]

[quote name='rudi32' post='625886' date='Jan 23 2008, 12:59 AM']I do my part

I drive my 1974 AMX with a rebulit 360 bored .30 over with a competition cam, 4blr carb, ed intake, straight cut outlet exhaust, 4 on the floor

she gets about 5 miles to the gallon but is 422 horses.

I do my part driving her around

I love it when I smoke the tires next to a little 4 banger eco car......i laugh

:lol:[/quote]
:hmm: Bald head or small penis? Must be overcompensating something here ...

The air temp (no windchill factor added) was 31 below zero here Sunday morning.
The air temp was 20 below when I got up this morning.

I wish to God that some kind of warming would hit Wisconsin HARD !!!!

I fucking hate this place. And I don`t understand the need for Winters . . .

[quote name='Bunghole' post='626654' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:28 PM'][i]You again assume nobody cares because they disagree with you and the paid-off lobby scientists that have been circulating this "data".
There is a genuine debate amongst scientists about this issue and it's outcome is FAR from clear. To openly take sides on this issue is a political decision, not an altrustic one.

I agree that pollution is bad, and that the Earth is polluting as never before and we are observing some Earth and atmosphere issues that we've never observed before. But since the Earth is 4 billion years old and our observable science is about 150 years old, you can see how coming to an alternative conclusion regarding pollution and the Earth's ability to "cleanse itself" of it can come into play, especially since there has never been a powerful political lobby behind such allegations as before.
You're not wrong, Scarlet, but your indignation at others expressing their opinions on a thread that YOU started sure come off as a lecture.[/i][/quote]

First I would like to say that these paid scientist/lobbyist are being paid to keep their mouths shut on the causes of global warming. Those who are claiming that global warming is caused by humans are speaking more the truth than those saying the opposite, they are trying to find a solution to an apparent problem. I come to this conclusion based on the fact that Bush's own scientists who have been studying this issue have come out saying that their own work has been put in jeopardy by editing. They have been controled and told not to release their findings to the press or country. Those findings? Evidence that humans are the cause of global warming.

In addition, there are plenty of lobbyists who are working for groups whom we can consider "independent." Furthermore, lets travel outside the U.S and ask: why are scientists around the world coming to the same conclusions? If paid lobbyists who are distributing this information in the U.S are simply paid and therefore simply acting along political lines, then what interest is it of other countries to come out with information saying that global warming is caused by emissions? Is there some underlying conspiracy that I am missing?

What is the motiviation for those claiming that global warming is caused by humans? What is it that they get out of this information? The truth of the matter is that there is more at stake to make the claim that global warming is caused by human activity than there is to say the opposite (that global warming has nothing to do with humans). This is because big business will have to do things that are less cost effective. That poses a problem. Why do you think in the U.S. that our cars produce more emissions than those in most of the world? Because it would cost car companys too much money to switch their cars to be more effecient. Everything is about cutting prices for the public, cutting costs for the business, and making the most profit. So what theory hurts that the most? The theory that humans cause global warming.

I am not trying to be altruistic. Being altruistic would mean caring about everyone but myself. Instead, my concern is for myself and the future of my children/family...so on. If I am wrong so be it, but at least I did not sit around twirling my thumbs. I did not come here to lecture anyone, in fact I thought that most people would be in agreement with me. I was simply in amazement that people can be so blase about the problems that go on and leave the solution in everyone elses hands to fix except their own. I just wonder at what point do people start to act and at what point do they stop questioning everything and actually stand for something.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='626667' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:57 PM']First I would like to say that these paid scientist/lobbyist are being paid to keep their mouths shut on the causes of global warming. Those who are claiming that global warming is caused by humans are speaking more the truth than those saying the opposite, they are trying to find a solution to an apparent problem. I come to this conclusion based on the fact that Bush's own scientists who have been studying this issue have come out saying that their own work has been put in jeopardy by editing. They have been controled and told not to release their findings to the press or country. Those findings? Evidence that humans are the cause of global warming.

In addition, there are plenty of lobbyists who are working for groups whom we can consider "independent." Furthermore, lets travel outside the U.S and ask: why are scientists around the world coming to the same conclusions? If paid lobbyists who are distributing this information in the U.S are simply paid and therefore simply acting along political lines, then what interest is it of other countries to come out with information saying that global warming is caused by emissions? Is there some underlying conspiracy that I am missing?

What is the motiviation for those claiming that global warming is caused by humans? What is it that they get out of this information? The truth of the matter is that there is more at stake to make the claim that global warming is caused by human activity than there is to say the opposite (that global warming has nothing to do with humans). This is because big business will have to do things that are less cost effective. That poses a problem. Why do you think in the U.S. that our cars produce more emissions than those in most of the world? Because it would cost car companys too much money to switch their cars to be more effecient. Everything is about cutting prices for the public, cutting costs for the business, and making the most profit. So what theory hurts that the most? The theory that humans cause global warming.

I am not trying to be altruistic. Being altruistic would mean caring about everyone but myself. Instead, my concern is for myself and the future of my children/family...so on. If I am wrong so be it, but at least I did not sit around twirling my thumbs. I did not come here to lecture anyone, in fact I thought that most people would be in agreement with me. I was simply in amazement that people can be so blase about the problems that go on and leave the solution in everyone elses hands to fix except their own. I just wonder at what point do people start to act and at what point do they stop questioning everything and actually stand for something.[/quote]
But yet you've received responses from several members here that are doing exactly the same thing for the enviornment as you are, which is recyclying and driving a sensible car, yet they don't share your opinion. And that should be OK, right?

AND in reply to the half truths are lies

Thats not the case because you can make a statement that is true but includes some false information. Maybe you mean to say you don't accept anything that is not fully true. If that is the case than I feel bad because you must not believe in too much of anything. Even the most well researched and put together document, thesis, disertation, book, documentary has some information that may not be wholy true.

I would assume that if someone predicts a volcano will errupt, since its not errupting right now its not true. Therefore only when the volcano errupts will you believe its going to happen. Those who wait around waiting for the whole truth rather than those who try to do something about it (like get out of the way) will burn up in flames...literally in this case.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='626670' date='Jan 25 2008, 12:13 AM']But yet you've received responses from several members here that are doing exactly the same thing for the enviornment as you are, which is recyclying and driving a sensible car, yet they don't share your opinion. And that should be OK, right?[/quote]

Ehm? Im not sure what your point is so please explain to me more clearly.

I would also like to mention that my activism...or social action...includes more than recycling and driving a sensible car. I believe that things have to be done on a much larger scale and I have been trying my best to get on board with others who feel the same. I have the luxury of being in college and being in an activist community. I have created an organization on campus among other things, and plan to continue my activism as my life's goal.

Part of what my organization is trying to do is get young adults passionate about politics and take action to make social change. Interestingly enough, aside from my own very strong opinions, the organization is meant to be for the young students. Therefore decisions on what the important issues to attack, raise awareness about, ect...come through those who are members of the organization. I do not hold the wooden gravel. The point of my organization is simply to inspire others to take action for change.

Couple things...

1.) The desire to inspire others into action is a admireable; taking condicending lanuage with your intended audience is not.

2.) Not only that it's counter productive to inspiring anyone. Think about it, if you insult those who you wish to inspire, do you think they will take you seriously?

3.) While my initial post was in a joking manner it did have a point, in 1978 the US banned the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) in aerosol out of fear of what it was doing to the ozone. Thus me going out and spraying an aerosol can into the sky would have no effect on the enviorment. I should not have assumed you knew this as you likely weren't even born yet, hell I was only 3. That was an error on my part. (However I still did find humor in the irony of it)

4.) The search for truth should be the utmost goal in everything we do, people lie, people make misguided mistakes, people are bought, some people have enough honor not to be bought. Question everything in searching for the truth, simply following someone blindly out of fear (you fear for your and you family's future) is how we got stuck in this mess in Iraq.

5.) Expect to have people disagree with you, as Bung said the science on this is still not clear, and those who may care as much as you do because of it, may have different opinions reguarding it. However the assumption that they dont care because they dont agree with you and are not taking up your cause is a mistake.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='626667' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:57 PM']First I would like to say that these paid scientist/lobbyist are being paid to keep their mouths shut on the causes of global warming. Those who are claiming that global warming is caused by humans are speaking more the truth than those saying the opposite, they are trying to find a solution to an apparent problem. I come to this conclusion based on the fact that Bush's own scientists who have been studying this issue have come out saying that their own work has been put in jeopardy by editing. They have been controled and told not to release their findings to the press or country. Those findings? Evidence that humans are the cause of global warming.[/quote]

Which side are you talking about getting paid off? I'd say that since the science isn't there yet, i'd say that both sides are most likely being paid off... how do you know that its more likely that humans are causing the planet EARTH to warm up, than something like the sun? Also, why is mars also warming up? There are not rhetorical questions... if this science is so figured out, why is the tempature on [url="http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sciencetech/homepage/article_1643955.php"]mars[/url] also rising? could this be a cycle that the sun is going through? I mean, i'm not saying it is definately the main problem, but it at least does cast a shadow over the "fact" that cars and humans are the main problem that is destroying the planet...

[quote]In addition, there are plenty of lobbyists who are working for groups whom we can consider "independent." Furthermore, lets travel outside the U.S and ask: why are scientists around the world coming to the same conclusions? If paid lobbyists who are distributing this information in the U.S are simply paid and therefore simply acting along political lines, then what interest is it of other countries to come out with information saying that global warming is caused by emissions? Is there some underlying conspiracy that I am missing?[/quote]

if there is a conspiracy about keeping the global warming craze under wraps, this is the WORST ran conspiracy ever done... the scientists are split... just b/c they can't agree on something as complicated and important as this, does not mean its a conspiracy...

[quote]What is the motiviation for those claiming that global warming is caused by humans? What is it that they get out of this information? The truth of the matter is that there is more at stake to make the claim that global warming is caused by human activity than there is to say the opposite (that global warming has nothing to do with humans). This is because big business will have to do things that are less cost effective. That poses a problem. Why do you think in the U.S. that our cars produce more emissions than those in most of the world? Because it would cost car companys too much money to switch their cars to be more effecient. Everything is about cutting prices for the public, cutting costs for the business, and making the most profit. So what theory hurts that the most? The theory that humans cause global warming.[/quote]

What is the upside to people like Gore? PLEASE!!! he is a GOD to some people now... he is making millions of dollars... he will probably put his name on a company that sells eco-friendly ways to make your company follow his rules of what is eco friendly... and make billions...

[quote]I am not trying to be altruistic. Being altruistic would mean caring about everyone but myself. Instead, my concern is for myself and the future of my children/family...so on. If I am wrong so be it, but at least I did not sit around twirling my thumbs. I did not come here to lecture anyone, in fact I thought that most people would be in agreement with me. I was simply in amazement that people can be so blase about the problems that go on and leave the solution in everyone elses hands to fix except their own. I just wonder at what point do people start to act and at what point do they stop questioning everything and actually stand for something.[/quote]

I do my part... I am a christian but i don't beat people over the head to agree w/ me on that... i am a huge bengals fan, but if i meet a browns fan i don't start talking about the bengals history and try to change their minds... it turns me off for people to push their agendas on me, but that is me... i am not bashing you for trying to push your agenda though... more power to ya, but i am laughing that i probably know more about global warming than you do... That is b/c i am willing to listen to both sides, where you seem to only listen to your side... truth does matter...

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='626671' date='Jan 25 2008, 12:16 AM']AND in reply to the half truths are lies

Thats not the case because you can make a statement that is true but includes some false information. Maybe you mean to say you don't accept anything that is not fully true. If that is the case than I feel bad because you must not believe in too much of anything. Even the most well researched and put together document, thesis, disertation, book, documentary has some information that may not be wholy true.

I would assume that if someone predicts a volcano will errupt, since its not errupting right now its not true. Therefore only when the volcano errupts will you believe its going to happen. Those who wait around waiting for the whole truth rather than those who try to do something about it (like get out of the way) will burn up in flames...literally in this case.[/quote]

2 things...

1.) you need to read better... remember me saying that? I didn't only say "half truths"... i said "half truths and lies"

2.) If you only tell someone half of the truth, you are hiding the other half for a reason... either you are avoiding the half that might make you make a different decision, or you are straight lieing about it...

I believe in a lot of things, but i do base them on facts... i have alot of opinions too, but if i'm not sure, i at least try to figure it out better...

I guess your volcano analogy works well against you... all you have to do is call it global climate change, and everytime the sun goes through its normal high and low cycles, or everytime we have a huge hurricane season, you can blame it on our pollution...

Archived