(Brandon) Phillips wants to be a Reds lifer

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Phillips wants to be a Reds lifer[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Only second 2B in history to produce 30 homers, 30 steals[/b][/size]
BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM

DAYTON - Another overflow crowd that extended way out the door at Fricker's restaurant in West Carrollton greeted the Reds traveling party Sunday on the final stop of the northern leg of the winter caravan, while inside Brandon Phillips continued to warm fans' hearts.

"I want to be here (Cincinnati) the rest of my career - I mean that," Phillips said before the autograph appearance. "Barry Larkin did it, and that's my favorite player. I want to be just like him; I want to be how he was to Cincinnati.

"(And) hearing how Joe Morgan was talking (about his years as a Cincinnati Red, during a talk Wednesday at the La Salle High sports stag) I definitely want to stay here and be that guy."

Phillips, 26, who was the Reds' most valuable player last season, is so removed from negotiations between the Reds and his agent on either a long-term contract or a potential arbitration to determine his salary for next season, that he swears he didn't even know the arbitration numbers the parties had exchanged until friends told him.

"All I know is what people tell me, (people) who found out (in media reports) what I asked for and what they (the Reds) offered me," Phillips said. "I don't know anything. My agent does everything. I try to stay out of it as much as possible. I just worry about getting ready."

Phillips was resplendent in a yellow sweater. When Reds announcer Marty Brennaman, also a member of the caravan's traveling party, introduced Phillips, his concluding words brought a big smile to Phillips' face. "He became only the second second baseman in MLB history to produce 30 homers and 30 steals in a season," Brennaman began. "He led all National League second baseman in fielding percentage and got screwed out of the Gold Glove Award . . . "

The crowd roared and broke into smiles of their own. Phillips' exuberant style of play - this is clearly a man who loves what he does for a living - has endeared him to fans.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky made the whole northern tour, too; Reds Hall of Famer Tom Browning, who made part of it, was also here Sunday. Reliever Todd Cofffey and Reds Hall of Famer Lee May were with the party earlier.

Wrapping up the caravan's southern leg Sunday in Louisville were Reds players Jay Bruce and Ryan Freel, announcers Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley, manager Dusty Baker and Reds Chief Operating Officer Phil Castellini. Each caravan made twice-daily autograph sessions in various cities throughout Reds country, and also made numerous stops at affiliate stations on the Reds Radio Network and visited hospitals.

There were at least 600 people lined up inside and outside Fricker's for the Reds' appearance here Sunday. Phillips told reporters before greeting fans that he hasn't yet set any goals for this season.

"I'll find out how things are going to be in spring training, because I don't know yet where I'll be hitting (in the lineup)," he said. "When I find that out, I can tell everybody my goals."

How tough would it be for him to top last season's 30-30?

"If I go out there and just have another positive year, and as long we get to the playoffs, I think that's going to be my year," Phillips said. "That's what we play for - to get to the postseason. If we get there first, we can worry about getting to the World Series later."

He said he doesn't question any of his teammates' commitment to winning. "Everybody on this team wants to make it to the playoffs," he said. "Everybody wants to get a ring. Everybody knows that's what we play off. As long as we go out, become a team and have teamwork, I think everything will be OK. I know Dusty's going to keep us like that."

Phillips said last year's Reds managers - Jerry Narron, and then Pete Mackanin - both were about winning. Both kept the focus on that with the players.

"I had nothing but respect for both of them," Phillips said. "But having a guy (in Baker) who's 'been there, done that,' that's going to motivate us even more ... I can't wait to see how it all turns out."

Phillips also praised the acquisition of former Milwaukee Brewers closer Francisco Cordero. "I don't want to face Cordero anymore, so I'm glad he's on our team."[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080128/SPT04/801280324/1062/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...280324/1062/SPT[/url]

Archived