Premier Leaugue soccer on its way

cms

My fellow soccer fans

Feast on this!

[url="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article775395.ece"]International PL games[/url]

Inspired by the NFL, Premier League might give back some of the love....

I don't think this is nearly as good as it sounds. Players and managers already bitch about the packed match schedules, and I can't imagine how it will make them feel to have to travel around the globe and play an important domestic league match. Also, while I'm sure we're all tittilated at the prospect of watching Man Utd or Chelsea or Arsenal play here, the fact is that the matches will be in NY and LA, so as far as I'm concerned they might as well be in the UK.

Also, who knows whom they'll send where? Exactly how excited would I be supposed to get to watch something like, say, Wigan vs. Birmingham? There will be about 5 or so games of 'general interest' - Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, and maybe Tottenham - and after that, it greatly diminishes.

i for one think its good to hear that this idea has finally come to fruition

id love to see a game that actually counts, and given the dollar/euro tradeoff it sadly appears as though watching one somewhere over here is my best option for at least the next few years

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='631008' date='Feb 8 2008, 11:26 AM']id love to see a game that actually counts, and given the dollar/euro tradeoff it sadly appears as though watching one somewhere over here is my best option for at least the next few years[/quote]

The dollar-pound exchange is not as gouging as with euros, and I'd expect huge inflation on ticket prices due to demand for the one or two games played in each city, especially if it is a marquee team.

Also, you'll be watching them play in Giants Stadium, most likely - a rather antiseptic stadium by any measure - with a bunch of other Americans. You can't really consider that a replacement for seeing a premier league game at the club's ground with home fans singing. I'd much rather catch a flight to Jolly Old and see United at Old Trafford, or Liverpool at Anfield, or any team at their home ground for that matter, and get the full-fledged experience.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='631058' date='Feb 8 2008, 02:58 PM']The dollar-pound exchange is not as gouging as with euros, and I'd expect huge inflation on ticket prices due to demand for the one or two games played in each city, especially if it is a marquee team.

Also, you'll be watching them play in Giants Stadium, most likely - a rather antiseptic stadium by any measure - with a bunch of other Americans. You can't really consider that a replacement for seeing a premier league game at the club's ground with home fans singing. I'd much rather catch a flight to Jolly Old and see United at Old Trafford, or Liverpool at Anfield, or any team at their home ground for that matter, and get the full-fledged experience.[/quote]
i watched man u play barca in philly for tim howards and perhaps ronaldinho's first (second maybe) match with each team, ticket prices werent nearly as bad as i would have imagined but that was just a friendly so who knows (also, theres no way whatever match comes over here will be that good). im not using this idea as a replacement for eventually taking the trip across the pond but until it becomes more economically feasible this will have to do. anyways, from all reports englands major stadiums have jacked up prices and made it a corporate affair so much so that the average fan cant afford to attend regular matches, and if thats true then im not ashamed to say "good team" vs. "mediocre team" in the swamp would be a welcomed replacement, at least for the time being.

Well, looks like the EPL is a persona non grata outside of England, and this plan is all but over. I don't know of any FIFA, Confederation, or National Association representative who has come out in support of this or who would allow these games to take place in their jurisdiction - it interferes with the local leagues.

Anyway, there were some fun articles while it lasted. I love the opening paragraphs of this one:

[quote]The hysterical hordes make the airport barriers creak, such is their desperation to see Damien Johnson and Liam Ridgewell. The Shanghai branch of the Andy O'Brien fan club is out in force to grant their hero a rapturous welcome. Tokyo has never seen anything like it as the city comes to a standstill for the day that Danny Higginbotham lands in Japan.

And there is only one picture adorning the back page of all the American newspapers: Dean Leacock and Darren Moore posing in front of the Hollywood sign as Derby County prepare to face Wigan Athletic in an eagerly-anticipated sell-out in Los Angeles.

If those scenarios sound feasible to you, you're probably the owner of a football club. And, in particular, a club in the wrong half of the Premier League. Amid the depressing inevitability of the plans to stage matches all around the world, the self-delusion of some of those responsible for making such decisions is perhaps the most remarkable element.[/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=507231&root=england&cc=5901"]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...and&cc=5901[/url]

This plan is also interesting as a product of the winds of change in the English game - first foreign ownership, and now leaving English soil on moneygrabbing tours - which are alienating the English fans and traditional club support.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='631058' date='Feb 8 2008, 02:58 PM']The dollar-pound exchange is not as gouging as with euros, and I'd expect huge inflation on ticket prices due to demand for the one or two games played in each city, especially if it is a marquee team.

Also, you'll be watching them play in Giants Stadium, most likely - a rather antiseptic stadium by any measure - with a bunch of other Americans. You can't really consider that a replacement for seeing a premier league game at the club's ground with home fans singing. I'd much rather catch a flight to Jolly Old and see United at Old Trafford, or Liverpool at Anfield, or any team at their home ground for that matter, and get the full-fledged experience.[/quote]

Exactly. If you're gonna do it right, fuckin do it right. Jump on a plane, buy the ticket, and
see it in its natural environment. You don't think an Englishman could properly experience, lets say,
a Green Bay Packers game outside of Lambeau? Or a Duke-Carolina game outside of Tobacco Road?

I'm not saying its a horrible idea, in fact, its not a bad way to get more people exposed. But for anyone who
has some extra cash or the desire to, nothing can compare to seeing the real thing in person.

Archived