- Jordan Gross, Panthers (T)
- Ken Hamlin, Cowboys (S)
- Albert Haynesworth, Titans (DT)
- L.J. Smith, Eagles (TE)
- Terrell Suggs, Ravens (LB)
- Marcus Trufant, Seahawks (CB)
- Corey Williams, Packers (DT)

[quote][b]Chiefs to put franchise tag on Allen, who wants to stay[/b]

The Chiefs notified free-agent defensive end Jared Allen Monday that he is getting the franchise tag, sources told ESPN.com.

That's no surprise to Allen, who has been hoping for a long-term deal with the Chiefs but knew they wouldn't let him hit the free-agent market. Allen, 25, was the NFL sack leader with 15½ sacks even though he played only 14 games. Two weeks ago at the Pro Bowl, Allen discussed the likelihood he would be franchised.

The one-year tender for a franchise defensive end is $8.879 million. For any team that tries to sign him, they would have to forfeit two first-round picks if the Chiefs elect not to match an outside offer.

If Allen doesn't get a long-term deal by mid-July, he has said he would not sign a long-term deal in the future. Allen likes the city. He likes the coach, Herm Edwards. He wants to stay a Chief for a long period of time. For the moment, though, he is under a one-year offer while both sides try to work on long-term security.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.[/quote]

[quote][b]Bengals slap franchise tag on lineman Andrews for 2008 season[/b]
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Cincinnati Bengals guard Stacy Andrews became the third NFL free agent to receive the franchise designation.

To keep him from leaving via free agency, the Bengals officially Monday gave Andrews a one-year, $7.455 million contract offer. Any team wanting to pull him away from the Bengals would have to give up two first-round picks.

Andrews helped anchor an offensive line that allowed just 17 sacks last season. Only New Orleans gave up fewer sacks, surrendering 16 in 2007.

Last week, the Eagles franchised tight end L.J. Smith and the Cardinals did the same with linebacker Karlos Dansby. Teams have until Thursday to designate franchise or transition tags.

Andrews' agent, Rich Moran, wasn't available for comment.

The Bengals have until mid July to work out a long-term deal with Andrews. If no long-term deal is worked out before mid-July, Andrews would have to play out the one-year tender.

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.[/quote]

[quote][b]Tag -- Dansby's It [/b]
By DARREN URBAN

The Cardinals used their franchise tag on free-agent-to-be Karlos Dansby on Thursday, all but assuring he will remain a Cardinal in 2008.

In a move long expected, the Cardinals placed their franchise tag on linebacker Karlos Dansby Thursday, the first time the team has used the tag since 2002.

Dansby gets the “non-exclusive” tag, meaning he can still negotiate with other teams as a free agent and sign an offer sheet if he chooses. If that happens, the Cardinals can either match the offer or the team must give the Cards two first-round draft picks.

Because of the stiff price, few teams are willing to even think about trying to sign a player who has been hit with the franchise designation.

But general manager Rod Graves called the move a "formality," with the team wanting to ink Dansby long-term.

"We certainly consider Karlos one of our prize players," Graves said. "He is one of the more talented linebackers in the NFL. I certainly believe his agent and I will work aggressively to get a long-term deal before the deadline."

Graves said coach Ken Whisenhunt spoke to Dansby about the move and to assure the player the team wants him around. Graves did the same with Dansby's agent, Kirk Wood.

Dansby’s one-year tender offer is worth $8.065 million. The Cards can continue to negotiate with Dansby until July 15 in an attempt to work out a long-term deal. If no deal is worked out by then, Dansby must play the entire season under the tag and cannot sign a new deal with the Cards until after the 2008 season.

Dansby must sign the offer sheet before he is required to take part in any mandatory offseason work. He could hold off on signing the offer sheet and stay away from the team’s workouts; the Cardinals can also rescind the offer at any time before it is signed.

“A lot of players worry about the tag, they want some stability (of a long-term deal),” Dansby said in December. “But I think (being tagged) would be an honor.”

The day after the season ended, Dansby said he didn’t think the situation would come to a tag because a new contract would be worked out.

The Cardinals and Wood have had few significant contract discussions over the past few months. Graves expects that to change soon.

Safety Kwamie Lassiter was the last Cardinal to receive the tag, back in 2002. He was then allowed to leave as a free agent after the 2002 season.

The Cards buy some time in the Dansby negotiations because there are other pressing issues at the moment. Fellow linebacker Calvin Pace – whose deal is expected to be for less money than Dansby – is also scheduled to be a free agent at the end of the month.

And the team continues to try to forge a restructured deal with wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald in order to lower his unwieldy salary and subsequent salary cap hit.

Graves said talks are ongoing with both Fitzgerald and Pace, with Fitzgerald's deal still at the forefront. The two sides have traded proposals, and Graves earlier had said the team's offer would put Fitzgerald's contract "among the elite players."

Dansby had a good year in 2007, collecting a career-high 117 tackles in 14 games while moving inside in the new version of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast’s scheme. Dansby also had 3½ sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles.

Dansby was the Cards’ second-round pick in 2004.[/quote]

[quote][b]Healthy L.J. Smith gets Eagles' franchise tag[/b]
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Tight end L.J. Smith, who was scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the month, was given the franchise tag by the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday.

Thursday marked the first day of the offseason that teams could use the tag. Although Smith can receive offers from other teams, the tag gives the Eagles seven days to match. A team signing him would have to give up two first-round picks as compensation.

"Any player wants a long-term deal -- that's what you want, to feel secure in your job and also your family's position, but I'm OK with it right now," Smith said. "I definitely would have preferred a long-term deal but, hey, my agent, he's going to want to talk with the team, and who knows? I didn't even think I was going to get this. Maybe they can get something worked out later on."

If he signs with the Eagles, Smith will receive a one-year deal worth the average of the top five highest salaries earned by tight ends.

"L.J. Smith has been a very productive tight end in our offense," coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "He is healthy and working his tail off so he can have a very successful 2008 season."

Injuries hampered the 27-year-old, five-year veteran throughout last season. He underwent surgery for a sports hernia in May, injured his groin in training camp in August and missed the final three games of the regular season with a sprained knee.

Smith finished with 22 catches for 236 yards and only one touchdown in 10 games after a combined 111 receptions for 1,293 yards and eight touchdowns in the previous two seasons.

"Going into the season, I guess they wanted to see me another full season healthy and they'll make their decision, and I wasn't healthy," Smith said. "I wasn't able to perform at a high level for a majority of the season and I didn't even finish the season healthy."

That isn't the case now, Smith said.

"I feel great right now," he said. "I'm healthy."

Had they let Smith go, the Eagles would have had to acquire another tight end. The only other tight ends on the roster are Brent Celek, who had a promising rookie season, and veteran backup Matt Schobel.

Although Smith still has to sign the contract, he is unlikely to end up elsewhere because teams aren't likely to part with two first-round picks to sign him.

"After the season, I said goodbye to my teammates, and I really thought I wasn't going to be back," Smith said. "So today, I feel weird -- just them giving me the franchise tag. But I mean, hey, I've always wanted to be here. I just think it's another opportunity for me to showcase my stuff."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press[/quote]

[quote][b]Ravens to franchise Suggs if they can't sign him to long-term deal[/b]
ESPN.com news services

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday that if the team can't work out a long-term deal with the star linebacker, Baltimore will place the franchise tag on him to keep him off the free-agent market.

The NFL deadline to use the franchise tag is Feb. 21.

"We will be using the franchise tag on Terrell if we don't have a long-term deal in place between now and then," Newsome told the Baltimore Sun.

If the Ravens use the franchise tag on Suggs and he can't work out a long-term deal with the team, the linebacker will be paid $8.065 million for the 2008 season -- the average of the five highest-paid NFL linebackers.

"At his position, we feel like he's one of the top two or three outside linebackers in the game. He does a very good job against the run and the pass," Newsome told the Carroll County Times.

Suggs, picked with the 10th overall pick in the 2003 NFL draft out of Arizona State, recorded 78 tackles and five sacks last season. He has had three seasons of 10 or more sacks in his five-year NFL career. He has 45 career quarterback sacks.[/quote]

[quote][b]Agent: Titans plan on giving Haynesworth franchise tag[/b]
Associated Press

Updated: February 15, 2008, 7:30 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans will slap defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth with a franchise tag by Thursday's deadline, but will keep working to sign the All-Pro to a long-term deal, his agent said Friday.

Agent Chad Speck said he talked with Titans general manger Mike Reinfeldt on Friday and that both sides are working on a long-term contract for Haynesworth. Speck said he doesn't anticipate a deal being completed before the Thursday deadline for teams' to designate franchise player.

"Mike confirmed to me that he will use the franchise tag on Albert but is committed to trying to get a deal done by July 15," Speck wrote in an e-mail. "I spoke with Albert today, and he is encouraged that talks have resumed."

Thursday is the final day teams can slap the franchise tag on players to keep them off the free-agent market that opens March 1.

Reinfeldt said earlier Friday that using a franchise tag for the first time since 1997 was a possibility for Haynesworth.

"The franchise tag is certainly a mechanism that's available to us. But we've had discussions with Albert's people, and we'll continue to have those discussions," he said.

The franchise designation will guarantee that Haynesworth is paid $6.37 million next season, the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive tackles. He was fourth on that list last year at $6.04 million.

Haynesworth rebounded from a five-game suspension in 2006 to post a career-high six sacks with 23 quarterback pressures and 69 tackles in 2007.

Haynesworth was a key piece in a defense that jumped from 32nd in yards allowed defensively in 2007 to fifth, a 6-2 start and the team's first playoff berth since 2003 despite a strained right hamstring that kept him out of three games.

He was an All-Pro for the first time in his career and played in his first Pro Bowl as a starter last week.

Teams can name a player an exclusive franchise tag, committing to a minimum offer of the average of the top five salaries at a player's position, a 20 percent raise from his 2007 salary or the average of the top five salaries at his position -- whichever is highest. That keeps other clubs from talking to the player.

The second level of franchise tag allows players to talk with other clubs, but gives the original team the chance to match the offer or be compensated with two first-round draft picks.

"It gives you a chance to kind of wrap things up if you're making progress," Reinfeldt said. "It gives you a chance to continue those discussions."

Haynesworth is one of 14 Titans about to hit the free-agent market, and the Titans have been evaluating their own roster against the list of other players about to become available.

They also have spent the past days prepping for the NFL Combine, which starts Wednesday in Indianapolis.

Reinfeldt wouldn't go into specifics, but he said they've been negotiating on a number of their free agents, including All-Pro kicker Rob Bironas, a restricted free agent, receiver Justin Gage and defensive ends Antwan Odom and Travis LaBoy.

The other unrestricted free agents include starting left guard Jacob Bell. Starting right tackle David Stewart is a restricted free agent.

"Our hope is we can get some of them in before the start of free agency," Reinfeldt said.

"At the same time, if free agency does start and we haven't reached an agreement, that doesn't preclude us from reaching an agreement with those players. We'll continue to have discussions. It's not an absolute cutoff."

Notes: Reinfeldt declined to comment on suspended cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who entered an Alford plea to obstruction of a police officer in Georgia on Thursday. The Titans have been waiting until the suspension is lifted. But Reinfeldt said they do have plans for various scenarios relating to personnel.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='628897' date='Jan 31 2008, 09:56 PM']After failing to reach a long-term agreement with Dallas Clark, the Indianapolis Colts placed the franchise tag on their tight end on Tuesday.

Dallas Clark

Clark

Negotiations with Clark, whose contract voided after the 2007 season, heated up toward the end of the season, but without resolution. The Colts instead reached agreement on a five-year, $37.5 million contract with safety Bob Sanders, the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year. Talks with Clark resumed in the past week, but with no deal in sight, the Colts felt it necessary to designate him as their franchise player.

The one-year franchise tender for a tight end is $4.522 million. If any team tries to sign him, they would have to surrender two first-round draft choices, which is unlikely. Clark is the second tight end to be franchised this offseason. The Eagles did the same with L.J. Smith.

The Colts and Clark have until mid-July to try to reach a long-term deal. With the franchising of Clark, six players have been given the franchise designation before Thursday's deadline. Any team wishing to franchise or transition a player has to record that transaction by 4 p.m. ET Thursday.

The Colts locked up another starting offensive player on Tuesday by reaching a five-year deal with guard Ryan Lilja.

Terms of the deal weren't available, but the franchising of Clark and the re-signing of Lilja leaves guard Jake Scott and defensive end Josh Thomas, who started seven games in 2007, as the team's only unsigned unrestricted free agents.

Lilya, 26, is one of the great finds of the Colts over the past several seasons. He was cut by the Chiefs as an undrafted rookie in 2004. The Colts claimed him on waivers, and he's started 43 games at guard over the past four seasons. Re-signing either Lilja or Scott was considered one of the team's top priority this offseason. Scott and Lilja each played close to 100 percent of the Colts' offensive snaps in 2007.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.[/quote]

[quote][b]Tackle Gross gets franchise tag from Panthers[/b]
Associated Press
Updated: February 19, 2008, 7:34 PM ET

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Panthers decided Tuesday to place the franchise tag on Jordan Gross, all but assuring the right tackle will remain in Carolina next season.

After failing to agree on a long-term deal, the Panthers offered Gross a one-year contract for $7.45 million, which is the average salary of the top five highest-paid offensive linemen in the NFL from last season.

While the franchise tag doesn't prevent another team from offering Gross a contract, the Panthers can match any offer. If they don't, the team that signs him would have to give up two first-round picks to the Panthers in return.

It means Gross almost certainly will spend 2008 in Carolina.

"We would have liked to have got a long-term deal done, but were unable to," general manager Marty Hurney said. "Obviously Jordan is an important player to us."

The Panthers and Gross' agent, Ethan Lock, had made little progress on a new deal over the past several weeks. While the Panthers had until Thursday to place the franchise tag on Gross, Hurney and coach John Fox were scheduled to leave for Indianapolis later Tuesday for the NFL combine. That would have prevented serious negotiations the rest of the week.

Gross and Carolina could still agree on a long-term contract. The two sides have until this summer to work out a deal before the window expires.

"You can always negotiate," Hurney said.

Lock did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages seeking comment Tuesday.

Gross was the eighth overall pick in the 2003 draft out of Utah and has started all 80 games for Carolina in five seasons.

Gross was shifted to left tackle early in the 2006 season after a season-ending knee injury to Travelle Wharton, but is more comfortable on the right side. He switched back there in 2007 and anchored the offensive line.

At 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, Gross would have commanded attention on the free-agent market. Top tackles have been averaging deals around $7 million a season.

The Panthers are planning for changes on the offensive line. Mike Wahle, the starting left guard last season, was released last week in a salary-cap move. Ryan Kalil, Carolina's second-round pick last season, could become the starting center. That could shift Justin Hartwig to guard or perhaps he could be dangled as trade bait.

Wharton was re-signed last week, but it's also possible he could be shifted to guard instead of returning at tackle.

[quote][b]Cowboys tag Hamlin; Adams becomes free agent[/b]
NFL.com Wire Reports

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have designated Ken Hamlin their franchise player, locking up the Pro Bowl safety through at least next season, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

As a result, Pro Bowl offensive tackle Flozell Adams will become a free agent. The move essentially means Hamlin has a one-year contract at the average base salary of the top five safeties in the NFL: $4.396 million. It also keeps the unrestricted free agent off the market and extends the window to negotiate a long-term contract.

Hamlin made his first Pro Bowl during the Cowboys' 13-3 season. He finished with 62 tackles and five interceptions, one behind team leader Anthony Henry.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.[/quote]

[quote][b]Seahawks put the franchise tag on cornerback Trufant[/b]
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Seattle Seahawks placed the franchise tag on cornerback Marcus Trufant Wednesday, according to his agent Mike Sullivan.

Sullivan, who was flying Wednesday to the Indianapolis Combine, said he received the paperwork for the designation Wednesday afternoon.

The one-year tender for a cornerback receiving the franchise tag is $9.465 million, currently the average of the top five salaries for cornerbacks in the league. For another team to sign him, they would have to reach agreement on an offer sheet. The Seahawks would have seven days to decide if they wanted to match the offer. If they didn't match the offer, the signing team would have to give the Seahawks two first-round draft choices.

Seahawks president and general manager Tim Ruskell expects Trufant will sign the tender -- or will eventually sign a multiyear deal to stay with the hometown team that drafted the native of Tacoma, Wash., 11th overall in 2003 out of Washington State.

"We are excited that Marcus will remain a Seahawk," Ruskell said. "We will continue to talk with his representative in hopes of securing a long-term deal, which is our goal."

Trufant is coming off his best NFL season, with eight interceptions and his first Pro Bowl appearance. The day after the Seahawks lost in the NFC divisional playoffs at Green Bay Jan. 12, Trufant sounded as if he would like to negotiate with other teams. He said he was "a little curious" to test the free-agent market for the first time.

"I know the organization loves me," Trufant said then. "But that only goes so far. There's always a business side of it. We may want things to be done exactly how we want them to be done, but it can't always be that way.

"I really don't have control over a lot of things ... so I just got to wait around and see what happens."

Trufant and Raiders Nnamdi Asomugha are the two cornerbacks who received franchise tags. Both were tagged on Wednesday.

With Trufant and Asomugha franchised, Asante Samuel of the Patriots and Drayton Florence of the Chargers will be the top cornerbacks to hit the free agent market.

ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton and the Associated Press contributed to this report[/quote]

[quote][b]Packers franchise Williams, who would have been top defensive free agent[/b]
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

In a little bit of a surprise move, the Packers franchised defensive tackle Corey Williams, a former sixth-round pick who would have been one of the top defensive tackles available in free agency.

Williams, 6-foot-4, 313 pounds, started nine games for the Packers in 2007. Even though defensive tackle is one of the Packers deepest positions, general manager Ted Thompson did not want to lose Williams, who was clearly the team's best unrestricted free agents.

The Packers are in great shape at defensive tackle. Ryan Pickett has been an anchor at a run-stopping defensive tackle. Johnny Jolly is a 2006 sixth-round pick who has played well. The team drafted Justin Harrell in the first round last year and he started to get some playing time late in the season. Colin Cole is a restricted free agent defensive tackle who can rush the quarterback.

The Packers gave Williams a one-year, $6.363 million tender offer. If a team wants to sign him, they would have to forfeit two first-round picks if the Packers don't match the offer.

The Packers announced that tight end Bubba Franks was released Wednesday.[/quote]

[quote][b]Cornerback Asomugha franchised by Raiders[/b]
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: February 20, 2008, 9:12 PM ET

The Raiders placed the franchise tag on cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, considered one of the top potential cornerbacks in free agency.

The cornerback franchise tag is one of the most expensive in free agency. The Raiders had to give Asomugha a one-year, $9.465 million offer to prevent him from hitting the free agent market. He had a breakthrough season in 2006, intercepting eight passes and becoming one of the top cover cornerbacks in the league. Asomugha had only one interception last season as teams often shied away from throwing to his side of the field.

Asomugha will be allowed to talk to other teams but he can't leave the Raiders without another team surrendering two first-round choices.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.[/quote]

Archived