All-American Football League

[url="http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/"]http://www.allamericanfootballleague.com/[/url]

I just found this via an ad in my google mail window. I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it, but hey--it's not like I subscribe to Obscure Sports Leagues Quarterly. It looks like they could have a sustainable model for the league (it builds on existing college football bases), and it's not at the wrong time of year (USFL) and not full of "entertainment" (XFL).

Although I wouldn't put it past the NFL to crush this league into non-existence, I think the NFL could benefit from this "minor league" as far as player development as well as perhaps technological improvements (ala the XFL skycam).

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='633993' date='Feb 20 2008, 12:22 PM']Doesn't seem that good..[b]A bunch of college bums playing[/b] in a league of 6 teams? Eh...I don't know about all that..

Already notice 1 former bengal..Reggie Myles is on the Alabama team.

Edit: PDub is playing for the Florida team.[/quote]
I don't know about that...

Eric Crouch
Bryan Randall (qb from VT)

are just a couple that come to mind... a lot of these guys had legit opportunities in the NFL. I'm not saying this is going to be the talent of the NFL but it will be guys that with a couple years work could get NFL contracts.

It is being pushed hard in my area (obviously since the Tenn. team is playing at Neyland) and has been marketed for over a year - even at the UT games on Saturdays. It will be interesting - if the NFL had any smarts at all they'd help it survive with an eye toward having a relatively inexpensive minor league system (other than college) for guys to develop that could eventually get NFL contracts a couple years down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
It all depends on what kind of direction they decide to go with and what the expectations are.
Personally, I watched early games of the XFL. Mainly because at the time I was a huge WWF
fan and I was biased and wanted to see it do well because of the WWF connection. However,
Vince McMahon set himself up for failure because he wanted to go toe-to-toe with the NFL.
Not directly, of course, b/c the games were in the spring. But he pitched it as a viable alternative
to the NFL, which was his downfall, because lets face it, the talent level was painfully low.
How many of you enjoyed watching a QB throw 10 straight incompletions? Honestly, I put it on
par with watching very low level DI football (or even DIII). Fuck, I bet even St. X could have
given those clowns a run for their money.

Now, onto this new league. If they play it off as a developmental league, or a chance to watch
football when the NFL and College isn't on, then maybe it has a chance. But to set yourself
up as a product that is potentially on par with the NFL - ala what the XFL tried to do, is just
setting yourself up for failure. Personally, I may watch it with casual interest, but I'll be more
concerned with baseball and the NFL draft shit.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='The Ghost of Chucky B.' post='637884' date='Mar 1 2008, 12:51 PM']It all depends on what kind of direction they decide to go with and what the expectations are.
Personally, I watched early games of the XFL. Mainly because at the time I was a huge WWF
fan and I was biased and wanted to see it do well because of the WWF connection. However,
Vince McMahon set himself up for failure because he wanted to go toe-to-toe with the NFL.
Not directly, of course, b/c the games were in the spring. But he pitched it as a viable alternative
to the NFL, which was his downfall, because lets face it, the talent level was painfully low.
How many of you enjoyed watching a QB throw 10 straight incompletions? Honestly, I put it on
par with watching very low level DI football (or even DIII). Fuck, I bet even St. X could have
given those clowns a run for their money.

Now, onto this new league. If they play it off as a developmental league, or a chance to watch
football when the NFL and College isn't on, then maybe it has a chance. But to set yourself
up as a product that is potentially on par with the NFL - ala what the XFL tried to do, is just
setting yourself up for failure. Personally, I may watch it with casual interest, but I'll be more
concerned with baseball and the NFL draft shit.[/quote]
Well... they'll have to actually play this year for it to get a received or rejected from audiences...

I saw a news report about the major investor had to back out because of financial difficulty so they were going to have to try and find a new primary investor that could provide immediate liquidity as most of these teams have to start paying their stadium rental fees April 1. So, we'll see. They said they may have to postpone their inaugural season until 2009.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='642553' date='Mar 11 2008, 01:45 PM']Do they have any kind of national TV deal at this point?[/quote]
No...

It'll get regional coverage, at best, if I was making an educated guess. I honestly think they'll be lucky to get 20-30,000 fans a game.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='642669' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:25 PM']for a minor league sport, that would be a huge crowd[/quote]
Yeah - but like in Tennessee's case, when you put 20-30,000 in a stadium that holds 104,000 it looks pretty bad. Michigan will have the same issue. The stadium won't even be a 3rd full...

Archived