Terry Schiavo

Guest bengalrick

On the subject... i was suprised at the results of this poll. Even though I agree. On a side note.. i think the husband is a douche bag. Its about money. He was given the cash to take care of her the rest of her life(that was his argument), he divorces her, parents get money.

[img]http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050404/poll/photos/poll2.gif[/img]

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:44 AM']On the subject... i was suprised at the results of this poll.  Even though I agree.  On a side note.. i think the husband is a douche bag.  Its about money.  He was given the  cash to take care of her the rest of her life(that was his argument), he divorces her, parents get money. 

[img]http://i.timeinc.net/time/covers/1101050404/poll/photos/poll2.gif[/img]
[right][post="69456"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[color="blue"][b]If the FIRST responsibility of government is NOT to protect its citizens, then WHAT IS?!?!?![/b][/color]

[quote name='Jason' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:58 AM'][color="blue"][b]If the FIRST responsibility of government is NOT to protect its citizens, then WHAT IS?!?!?![/b][/color]
[right][post="69465"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
[color="red"] Holy SHIT! Can we TYPE like this ALL the TIME!!?!?!?![/color]

I love how people think its ok for government to intervene, but only when its something they agree w/. Not saying you Jason... so dont track me down newbengals style. I dont know enough about you to make that statement.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:13 AM'][color="red"] Holy SHIT!  Can we TYPE like this ALL the TIME!!?!?!?![/color]

I love how people think its ok for government to intervene, but only when its something they agree w/.  Not saying you Jason... so dont track me down newbengals style.  I dont know enough about you to make that statement.
[right][post="69467"][/post][/right][/quote]

I can`t think of a thing the Government has intervened on that I have
a problem with.
EXCEPT the war on drugs. :boese035: :1018:

Legalize ! :bek081: :049:

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:18 AM']I can`t think of a thing the Government has intervened on that I have
a problem with.
EXCEPT the war on drugs.  :boese035: :1018:
Legalize !  :bek081:   :049:
[right][post="69469"][/post][/right][/quote]

No shit. We could win the war on terror/fix schools/ and throw a giant party w/ the money they have spent ;)

I’m not sure that we really have all the information here to really make a informed opinion. It’s not been answered unequivocally that the cognitive portion of her brain is indeed dead. If so then yes she should be allowed to pass, if not and her parents want to take responsibility for her and keep her alive on their dime then let her live. But the question just hasn’t been fully answered.

I agree with you on 90% of things Jason, and agree that the Government’s 1st role in is the protection of their citizens, but at what point does is it protection and what point is it intrusion?

I would be curious what the Husband would say(well i'm sure it wouldnt change now..but) if they came out and said: "Once Terri is dead, you dont need the money from the settlement to take care of it anymore. We are donating the remainder to hospice".

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:21 AM'][b]but at what point does is it protection and what point is it intrusion?[/b]
[right][post="69474"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Thanks Jaimie. My brain feels like its nursing a week long hangover right now and I couldnt seem to put the words together for what i was thinking.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:22 AM']I would be curious what the Husband would say(well i'm sure it wouldnt change now..but) if they came out and said: "Once Terri is dead, you dont need the money from the settlement to take care of it anymore.  We are donating the remainder to hospice".
[right][post="69475"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

he wasted that money long ago... and it wasn't on rehabilitation... only to keep her feeding tube hooked up (against his will of course)... if this were a murder case, that would be considered a motive...

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:21 PM']I’m not sure that we really have all the information here to really make a informed opinion. It’s not been answered unequivocally that the cognitive portion of her brain is indeed dead. If so then yes she should be allowed to pass, if not and her parents want to take responsibility for her and keep her alive on their dime then let her live. But the question just hasn’t been fully answered.
I agree with you on 90% of things Jason, and agree that the Government’s 1st role in is the protection of their citizens, but at what point does is it protection and what point is it intrusion?
[right][post="69474"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Terri did not have a living will. The Florida state court is killing her, based on hearsay (sp?) of a "husband" that no longer lives with her, in fact, he lives with another woman and has 2 kids by her.

So, to me, it's like she is being sentenced to death on he said/she said. That's not enough to execute an accused murderer, and shouldn't be enough to kill Terri.

So, to me, this is protection, not intrusion. If she had a living will, that would be different.

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:24 PM']Thanks Jaimie.  My brain feels like its nursing a week long hangover right now and I couldnt seem to put the words together for what i was thinking.
[right][post="69478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well stay away from that motor oil you call "good" beer. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jason' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:27 PM']Terri did not have a living will.  The Florida state court is killing her, based on hearsay (sp?) of a "husband" that no longer lives with her, in fact, he lives with another woman and has 2 kids by her.

So, to me, it's like she is being sentenced to death on he said/she said.  That's not enough to execute an accused murderer, and shouldn't be enough to kill Terri.

So, to me, this is protection, not intrusion.  If she had a living will, that would be different.
[right][post="69483"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The thing I find disturbing is that the question of is the cognitive portion of her brain indeed dead. In all this living will or not, if it is dead, then she is dead, the brain stem portion of the brain keeping a body "alive" is not "life", imho.

Oldschooler, your the internet search guru, is there a official medical report on this idea of her cognitive brain being dead?

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:13 PM'][color="red"] Holy SHIT!  Can we TYPE like this ALL the TIME!!?!?!?![/color]

I love how people think its ok for government to intervene, but only when its something they agree w/.  Not saying you Jason... so dont track me down newbengals style.  I dont know enough about you to make that statement.
[right][post="69467"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I don't type like that all the time. Only when I want to emphasize a point. But I am curious as to why you addressed my typing, and not my point?

[quote name='Jason' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:34 AM']I don't type like that all the time.  Only when I want to emphasize a point.  But I am curious as to why you addressed my typing, and not my point?
[right][post="69489"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Because i love to see you get riled up. I picture a guy w/ a red face and steam coming out of his ears everytime some of you respond.

and i'm pretty sure i did respond.

Its a pet peeve of mine when people act like they have never used the internet before. If you need to type in all caps or some crazy shit to validate your point, i disregarde it.

Guest bengalrick
we have established michael's motive, now for Judge Greer's motive...

here's some more interesting info:

[url="http://www.reclaimamerica.org/Pages/News/newspage.asp?story=2549"]reclaimamerica.com[/url]
[quote]This appears to establish a clear conflict of interest between Judge Greer and the best interests of Terri Schiavo. Judge Greer has been responsible for establishing “the facts” in the case of Terri Schiavo. Sadly, he has dismissed or ignored testimony from 33 physicians (15 neurologists) who are willing to testify that Terri is not in a persistent vegetative state and can improve, he has refused to allow the Florida Department of Children and Families to conduct a criminal investigation of Michael Schiavo, he has refused to honor a subpoena from the U.S. Congress, and he has blocked virtually all efforts from the Schindler family to save the life of their daughter.

According to public records available from the Florida Department of State: Division of Elections, Judge George W. Greer received a campaign contribution from the law firm of Felos & Felos during his re-election efforts in the spring of 2004.

Of course, no direct evidence suggests collusion between the two parties, but the timing of the campaign contribution is highly suspect. On May 6, 2004, a Pinellas county court struck down legislation (“Terri’s Law”) passed by the Florida legislature and signed by Governor Jeb Bush, which was designed to halt a previous attempt to starve Terri Schiavo to death. On May 7, 2004 — only one day after the ruling — Judge Greer received a campaign gift from the law firm of Michael Schiavo’s attorney.

This was not due to a fundraising effort, as this was the only contribution made to the Greer campaign fund on that particular day.[/quote]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:27 AM']he wasted that money long ago... and it wasn't on rehabilitation... only to keep her feeding tube hooked up (against his will of course)... if this were a murder case, that would be considered a motive...
[right][post="69481"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I thought there was still $700k left.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:33 AM']The thing I find disturbing is that the question of is the cognitive portion of her brain indeed dead. In all this living will or not, if it is dead, then she is dead, the brain stem portion of the brain keeping a body "alive" is not "life", imho.

Oldschooler, your the internet search guru, is there a official medical report on this idea of her cognitive brain being dead?
[right][post="69488"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

From what I have read they have to wait until the Autopsy to
be SURE.

I have heard/read that some Doctors think she could be rehabbed and others
see it as she is by all means "dead".

I don`t think this is a "quality" of life issue.
Just because some see her as "defective" doesn`t mean every1 looks
at her "life" that way...

This is gonna sound cold, but.... I'm almost looking forward to this chick dieing so we can move on to more important things...like ooooh i don tknow. Terrorism, Iraq, afghanistan, pakistan, economy, etc....

Though people do love there soapboxes.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:40 AM']I thought there was still $700k left.
[right][post="69494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i know you will love this source, but according to newsmax, Michael's attorneys say he has around 40,000 to 50,000 left of the original settlement...

[url="http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/3/17/171335.shtml"]newsmax.com[/url]
[quote]Just $40,000 to $50,000 remains of the money won in the malpractice case after Terri's heart stopped in 1990 and left her in what court-appointed doctors say is a persistent vegetative state. Deborah Bushnell, one of Michael Schiavo's attorneys, said the money is being saved for legal expenses. It is held in a trust fund, and a judge approves all expenditures, from attorneys' fees to the woman's haircuts.[/quote]

[quote]Terri lives at the Woodside Hospice - part of a not-for-profit hospice network in Florida - among terminally ill patients. She is permitted to stay there for free because she is considered indigent, Bushnell said. Patients who can afford it pay roughly $80,000 a year to stay at the hospice.

Terri Schiavo's medical costs - which Bushnell says are relatively small - have been paid for the past couple of years by the state's Medicaid program for needy people.[/quote]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:48 AM']i know you will love this source, but according to newsmax, Michael's attorneys say he has around 40,000 to 50,000 left of the original settlement...

[url="http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/3/17/171335.shtml"]newsmax.com[/url]
[right][post="69498"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hmm... Apparently the taxpayers are paying for her diapers to be changed then.

Why the hell didnt he just take the $1m that one chick was offering him to hand over rights to the parents.

Another question: Maybe this has been answered. How would the divorce process work in a case like this? Its not like Terri can sign off any documents. Since he is her guardian, would he sign for both?

Another thing that bothers me about this is that the feeding tube has been taken out before she has her due process.... the courts are still fighing over this and the parents options arent "completly" out, due process cant really be followed if she is dead.

[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:38 PM']Because i love to see you get riled up.  I picture a guy w/ a red face and steam coming out of his ears everytime some of you respond.
and i'm pretty sure i did respond.

Its a pet peeve of mine when people act like they have never used the internet before.  If you need to type in all caps or some crazy shit to validate your point, i disregarde it.
[right][post="69492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm not like others here. I don't get riled up over this stuff.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with using means of emphasis. But I don't like it when people use caps lock, or large type all the time. That's not my style.

I'm not worried about "validating" my point, just emphasizing it from time to time.

And I missed where you responded to my point, so if you could repost, I'd appreciate it.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Ben' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:51 AM']Hmm...  Apparently the taxpayers are paying for her diapers to be changed then.

[b]Why the hell didnt he just take the $1m that one chick was offering him to hand over rights to the parents.  [/b]

Another question:  Maybe this has been answered.  How would the divorce process work in a case like this?  Its not like Terri can sign off any documents.  Since he is her guardian, would he sign for both?
[right][post="69500"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

great question... i guess it would show he was in it for money (or at least how it will be percieved)...

either way, it would have been an easy solution...

[quote name='Jason' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:58 AM']I'm not like others here.  I don't get riled up over this stuff.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with using means of emphasis.  But I don't like it when people use caps lock, or large type all the time.  That's not my style.

I'm not worried about "validating" my point, just emphasizing it from time to time.

And I missed where you responded to my point, so if you could repost, I'd appreciate it.
[right][post="69505"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I basically agreed w/ jamies point of...

[quote]"...but at what point does is it protection and what point is it intrusion?"[/quote]

Archived