ESPN's Top 25 College Basketball Players of All Time

Jason

The two top remaining names are Lew Alcindor (AKA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and Oscar Robertson.

Oscar averaged 33.8 points, Lew averaged 26.4

Oscar averaged 15.2 Rebounds, Lew averaged 15.5

Oscar averaged 7.1 assists over his junior and senior years (sophomore numbers are not recorded), no assist numbers recorded for Lew.

Blocked shots and steals were not recorded.

So, who will it be?

Who should it be?

I think it should go to Oscar, but have a feeling it will go to Lew.

The big O is the best college basketball player of all time. He is also the biggest a hole in all of cincinnati. I see him before almost every home game, and he is always telling kids he doesnt have time for autographs. In 2005 i was standing in front of his statue outside 5/3 arena 2 hours before tip off, the oscar walked by(in his usual bill cosby sweater). I asked him if he could get a picture with me in front of his statue. Needless to say i don't have a picture of me and the big O in front of his statue.

[quote name='#22' post='640606' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:02 PM']This list is worse than the "Who's Now?" garbage or the "Greatest Highlight" bullshit. Pete Maravich @ #5? 44 ppg before the 3 point line?

WOW[/quote]

I thought Pete would be a little higher too. But in the Top 5, the margins are so small. I would have him ahead of Bill Walton though.

I'm a Bearcat homer in the worst way but no way Oscar gets it above Lew Alcindor. Alcindor won three NCAA tournament Most Outstanding Player awards, his team won three national championships, he was 1st team All America three times and Player of the Year twice. By comparison, in three years Robertson was a 1st team All American three times, Player of the Year three times and his team made the final four twice. He holds (or held) 14 NCAA records. Robertson #2 and Alcindor #1 IMO.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='640630' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:49 PM']I'm a Bearcat homer in the worst way but no way Oscar gets it above Lew Alcindor. Alcindor won three NCAA tournament Most Outstanding Player awards, his team won three national championships, he was 1st team All America three times and Player of the Year twice. By comparison, in three years Robertson was a 1st team All American three times, Player of the Year three times and his team made the final four twice. He holds (or held) 14 NCAA records. Robertson #2 and Alcindor #1 IMO.[/quote]

So because Alcindor was surrounded by better players, and had a better coach, that makes HIM the better player?

That's like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better QB then Dan Marino.

[quote name='Jason' post='640753' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:38 AM']That's like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better QB then Dan Marino.[/quote]

No, it's not like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better QB than Dan Marino.........

[quote name='Jason' post='640753' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:38 AM']So because Alcindor was surrounded by better players, and had a better coach, that makes HIM the better player?[/quote]

Yes

Championships determine in the end who was the better player if they had similar careers.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='640800' date='Mar 6 2008, 09:55 AM']No, it's not like saying Terry Bradshaw was a better QB than Dan Marino.........

Yes

Championships determine in the end who was the better player if they had similar careers.[/quote]

If you compare their individual awards, which you did,

Player of the Year: Alcindor - 2 Oscar - 3
1st Team AA - Alcindor 3 - Oscar 3

There is just a slight edge to Oscar

Alcindor's Tournament MVPs I don't count because Oscar would have won as many had his team won as many championships.

Oscar also scored 7.4 more points per game, and only had 0.3 rebounds fewer. The amazing thing there is Lew was a center and Oscar was a guard.

And as you said, Oscar had 14 NCAA records at one point.

Championships are team accomplishments.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='640913' date='Mar 6 2008, 12:32 PM']We'll see I guess...........I would love for Oscar to get it but I don't believe it will happen.[/quote]

The sad thing is, I don't either.

Archived