Bengals Add Backer

according to bengals.com

Bengals add backer
By GEOFF HOBSON
March 10, 2008
RSS

Posted: 3:40 p.m.

According to his agent, the Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cardinals linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a 6-3, 240-pound college teammate of current Cincinnati middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks.

Brad Blank wouldn't reveal terms Monday, but said his client was impressed with head coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals defensive coaches during his visit last week that followed a trip to Cleveland.

The Bengals don't confirm deals until they are signed.

Blackstock, 24, a three-year backup in Arizona, has two NFL starts and 44 tackles in 46 career games with four career sacks. While Brooks played inside the University of Virginia's 3-4 defense, Blackstock was an edge rusher for the Cavaliers at outside linebacker before Arizona drafted him in the third round in 2005.

As the Bengals did to wide receiver Tab Perry, the Cardinals chose not to tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, making him an unrestricted free agent. He had 21 tackles and three sacks this past season as a backup strong-side linebacker and nickel pass rusher. He had the Cards' lone sack in the 35-27 victory over the Bengals back on Nov. 18.

Blackstock could get looks at both outside backer spots and as a nickel rusher.

Perry is reportedly in Green Bay on Monday for a visit.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='642252' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:06 PM']Rivers wouldnt be a reach at 9[/quote]
A. I agree with you.

B. I wish I could be as excited as everyone else in this thread, but I know nothing about the guy except that he has a cool name.

[quote name='Mattyc' post='642256' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:10 PM']I don't want to be a negative nancy, but the cardinals didn't even tender this guy a minimum offer, he was a restricted free agent with 4 sacks in three years.

Hey new blood, can't hurt.[/quote]

the cardinals are also in cap hell, which may have played a part in it. Same reason the Titans are letting so many people walk.

[quote name='Mattyc' post='642256' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:10 PM']I don't want to be a negative nancy, but the cardinals didn't even tender this guy a minimum offer, he was a restricted free agent with 4 sacks in three years.

Hey new blood, can't hurt.[/quote]

The Cardinals pretty much couldn't tender him an offer because of their salary cap situation with Larry Fitzgerald. His cap # made it nearly impossible for the Cardinals to do anything.

He gives added depth and size to the LB corp, with the upside to be a starter.

Here is rotoworld's analysis:

"Bengals agreed to terms with OLB Darryl Blackstock, formerly of the Cardinals.
Blackstock has struggled overall as a pro, but is only 24 and had three sacks off the bench last year. The Bengals will give more 3-4 looks going forward and he'll be sent as an edge rusher. Blackstock won't be in the mix to start. "

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='642252' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:06 PM']Rivers wouldnt be a reach at 9[/quote]
I don't know all that much about Rivers, but I watched at least 3 USC games and I don't remember noticing Rivers much. That MLB Maleauga on the other hand, stood out for sure.

That's why I think he'd be a reach.

[quote name='Buckeye33' post='642259' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:13 PM']The Cardinals pretty much couldn't tender him an offer because of their salary cap situation with Larry Fitzgerald. His cap # made it nearly impossible for the Cardinals to do anything.

He gives added depth and size to the LB corp, with the upside to be a starter.[/quote]

This is a fringe signing. It means nothing for the top of our draft or any players who are at the top of the depth chart.

Anthony Schlegal and Corey Mays should be freaked tho.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='642262' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:17 PM']This is a fringe signing. It means nothing for the top of our draft or any players who are at the top of the depth chart.

Anthony Schlegal and Corey Mays should be freaked tho.[/quote]

Thats a good assesment.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='642262' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:17 PM']This is a fringe signing. It means nothing for the top of our draft or any players who are at the top of the depth chart.

Anthony Schlegal and Corey Mays should be freaked tho.[/quote]
I agree, he's probably nothing more than a situational guy and special teams player but I think he is better than a few of the guys who were active last season.

If they want Rivers at 9, signing Blackstock will not impact that decision at all

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='642266' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:23 PM']I agree, he's probably nothing more than a situational guy and special teams player but I think he is better than a few of the guys who were active last season.

If they want Rivers at 9, signing Blackstock will not impact that decision at all[/quote]
Yeah, you're probably right.

I personally think Blackstock could beat out Jeanty once he learns the shit out of the defense

I like the signing...I think he will get a chance to compete with Jeanty and Henderson.

If there is a possible downside that I see, it is that they are continuing to press ahead without considering Pollack as a situational pass rusher...But that is no surprise.

I wonder how much $$ Pollack frees up if he retires.

BZ

[quote name='PakMan' post='642269' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:31 PM']Yeah, you're probably right.

I personally think Blackstock could beat out Jeanty once he learns the shit out of the defense[/quote]

Never seeing Blackstock play you think he is going to beat someone out that has started from day one of his NFL career and battled injuries? I think thats an overstatement. Jeanty is the Landon Johnson of the SLB position, solid but not spectacular. You can win with Jeanty at SLB.

I also dont want to downplay this signing. I think it is a very good one. Anything that can make Brooks more comfortable and add athleticism and ability and depth to our LB corps is a great signing. That doesn't mean he is the playmaker this team needs for ultimate success.

Archived