Bengals Add Backer

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642258' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:12 PM']the cardinals are also in cap hell, which may have played a part in it. Same reason the Titans are letting so many people walk.[/quote]

Don't the Titans have an absolute ridiculous amount of cap space?

[quote name='TheBZ' post='642271' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:31 PM']I like the signing...I think he will get a chance to compete with Jeanty and Henderson.
[b]
If there is a possible downside that I see, it is that they are continuing to press ahead without considering Pollack as a situational pass rusher...But that is no surprise.[/b]

I wonder how much $$ Pollack frees up if he retires.

BZ[/quote]
Perhaps that's a sign that they already know what Pollack is planning.

Don't underestimate the influence of both Zimmer and Fitzgerald on this signing. Kid is only 24 and can easily be coached up, provided he is willing to listen. I think we have yet to see the true value of these two defensive coaching moves, however it seems to be having an effect on the players already.

C'mon, he visited Cleveland so they had to offer him the moon, w/ the contracts they are firing out. Says something about what he saw here.

Not trying to overhype this signing but I like the direction of bringing in these really athletic players on defense and seeing what we have.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642254' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:08 PM']wonder what this means for Jeanty and/or Henderson, or if the coaches think Blackstock has the ability to play WLB.[/quote]

It means Jeanty will finally have some compition and it [i]likely[/i] sends a message that David Pollack will be a 4-3 end or not on the team.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='642280' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:45 PM']Don't the Titans have an absolute ridiculous amount of cap space?[/quote]

I believe they have the most now that the Bucs had a few signings, so im not sure where he got that idea.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='642275' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:38 PM']Reinforce the backups is not bad..
Getting Keith Rivers at #9 would make the backing corps formidable ....
Thurman, Brooks, Jeanty
Blackstock, Jones, Rivers ...
Henderson, Mays

Rivers will push Jeanty real quick.....[/quote]

Rivers is a WLB. He would start immediately in Landos old spot.

Keith Rivers
Height: 6-21/4 | Weight: 241 | 40-Time: 4.60

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Great speed with a burst to close...Quick and agile...Terrific range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Does a fantastic job in pursuit...Good frame with long arms...Motor runs non-stop and he is really active...Fluid and does a terrific job in coverage...A big hitter who can lay the lumber...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Aggressive and plays with an attitude...Works through the trash and traffic well..Good instincts and recognition...Offers some versatility..A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Could stand to add some weight...Needs to get stronger..More of a finesse player and is not overly physical...Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

Notes:
A elite recruit coming out of high school...Wore the #55 jersey for the Trojans that was made famous by guys like Junior Seau, Willie McGinest and Chris Claiborne...A outstanding all-around linebacker who shouldn't ever have to leave the field...Has an ideal blend of natural talent, physical tools, and intangibles...Prototypical WILL.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='642287' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:54 PM']Rivers is a WLB. He would start immediately in Landos old spot.

Keith Rivers
Height: 6-21/4 | Weight: 241 | 40-Time: 4.60

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent athleticism...Great speed with a burst to close...Quick and agile...Terrific range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Does a fantastic job in pursuit...Good frame with long arms...Motor runs non-stop and he is really active...Fluid and does a terrific job in coverage...A big hitter who can lay the lumber...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Aggressive and plays with an attitude...Works through the trash and traffic well..Good instincts and recognition...Offers some versatility..A hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Could stand to add some weight...Needs to get stronger..More of a finesse player and is not overly physical...Plays out of control at times...Doesn't take on or shed blockers all that well...Is not stout and can be run at...Needs to keep his pad level down...A playmaker in coverage?..Goes for the knockout rather than wrapping up.

Notes:
A elite recruit coming out of high school...Wore the #55 jersey for the Trojans that was made famous by guys like Junior Seau, Willie McGinest and Chris Claiborne...A outstanding all-around linebacker who shouldn't ever have to leave the field...Has an ideal blend of natural talent, physical tools, and intangibles...Prototypical WILL.[/quote]

Ive read where Rivers can play all three positions.... He may be best suited as a Will but he can play the Sam and probably be better than anyone the
Bengals have right now including Jeanty......He's has fluid hips and can run...good coverage guy that bites on plays but he the hell doesnt when your a rook?

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='642288' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:59 PM']Ive read where Rivers can play all three positions.... He may be best suited as a Will but he can play the Sam and probably be better than anyone the
Bengals have right now including Jeanty......He's has fluid hips and can run...good coverage guy that bites on plays but he the hell doesnt when your a rook?[/quote]

I would rather have Rivers Brooks Jeanty than Jones Brooks Rivers

Wahoowa! :gobengals:

Great start to the offseason. Ditch Bustin for a guy who can actually get to the QB, and replace Landon with a more physical specimen who still has some speed. Add in the guys coming back from injury, and two new coaches.... :headbang:

Now if we can just land a DT in the draft *fingers crossed*

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='642253' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:07 PM']A. I agree with you.

B. I wish I could be as excited as everyone else in this thread, but I know nothing about the guy except that he has a cool name.[/quote]

If memory serves he filled in for the Cardinal's injured LB corps. He was not expected to do much, but made a decent impact.

[quote name='PakMan' post='642269' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:31 PM']Yeah, you're probably right.

I personally think Blackstock could beat out Jeanty once he learns the shit out of the defense[/quote]

no. jeanty is an underrated LB on this team. he is a lot better than people give him credit for. blackstock isnt getting a starting job or anything. just a decent backup.

[quote name='spicoli' post='642298' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:30 PM']Yes he would. ANY LB in this draft would be a reach at #9...[/quote]
no way.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='642301' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:31 PM']Why is Keith Rivers a reach?????[/quote]
because mel kiper said so!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='642303' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:38 PM']eh, just some training camp fodder for the most part.

Hopefully he'll be able to do something, but I'm not holding my breath.[/quote]

Own being pessimistic about a FA signing, NO WAY!

But in all seriousness hes probably not gonna be an integral part of this defense, but I do think he is better than training camp fodder. He will add solid depth and be a good backup.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='642305' date='Mar 10 2008, 05:50 PM'][color="#FF0000"]no. jeanty is an underrated LB on this team[/color]. he is a lot better than people give him credit for. blackstock isnt getting a starting job or anything. just a decent backup.

no way.

because mel kiper said so!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:[/quote]

:rolleyes: indeed

Archived