Bengals Add Backer

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642607' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:31 PM']I guess the threatening to hold out if he didn't get a new contract had no effect on their cap situation. :crazy:[/quote]

Whatchoo talking about Willis? Fitzgerald didn't threaten to hold our or demand a new contract. He was happy with the contract he had that would pay him 32 mil over the next two years or force the Cards to release him and let him enter free agency early. The new deal overpays him but is less expensive than the old one for the team and has more guaranteed money for the player.

From ESPN

"Over the final two years of his old deal, Fitzgerald was scheduled to make $14,592,500 in 2008 and $17,355,000 in 2009. That put the team in a tight cap bind -- with less than $400,000 of cap room remaining -- so signing players was tough until Arizona struck a deal with Fitzgerald. The Cardinals had only 48 players on their roster and only 16 players on defense.

The new deal will save the team $8.842 million in cap room, dropping Fitzgerald's salary cap number from $16,485,000 to $7,643,334."

Looks like Wisenhunt has some cash to spend. Good thing we got Blackstock before they could get him back (if they wanted him back).

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642607' date='Mar 11 2008, 03:31 PM']I guess the threatening to hold out if he didn't get a new contract had no effect on their cap situation. :crazy:[/quote]
he didnt threaten to hold out. he just said if they wanted him to rework his deal then he wanted a long term with a no trade clause.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='642704' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:59 PM']he didnt threaten to hold out. he just said if they wanted him to rework his deal then he wanted a long term with a no trade clause.[/quote]

'eh I've seen some pieces say he threatened to hold out, but they could be wrong.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='642707' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:10 PM']'eh I've seen some pieces say he threatened to hold out, but they could be wrong.[/quote]
im pretty sure he didnt. im a big boldin and fitzgerald fan though i dont really follow Arizona in the offseason, but the few things i read i just thought were Fitzgerald just wanted a long term deal if he was doing them a favor (and i agree with that 100%). No way in hell would he sit out when he's supposed to make 33 mill the next 2 years. I dont think he is that dumb.

[quote name='Zins30' post='642680' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:05 PM']From ESPN

"Over the final two years of his old deal, Fitzgerald was scheduled to make $14,592,500 in 2008 and $17,355,000 in 2009. That put the team in a tight cap bind -- with less than $400,000 of cap room remaining -- so signing players was tough until Arizona struck a deal with Fitzgerald. The Cardinals had only 48 players on their roster and only 16 players on defense.

The new deal will save the team $8.842 million in cap room, dropping Fitzgerald's salary cap number from $16,485,000 to $7,643,334."

Looks like Wisenhunt has some cash to spend. Good thing we got Blackstock before they could get him back (if they wanted him back).[/quote]

It was a necessary move by Arizona due to the fact that they negotiated a terrible deal with Fitzgerald when they drafted him. They loaded it with escalator clauses that ballooned his contract to ridiculous levels. He's worth a boatload of money and this move gives them much-needed cap room. It was poor management that their hand was forced like this.

First of all, he didn't threaten to hold out. Second of all, why in the world would he even consider threatening to hold out? There is absolutely no logic in that. What, is he going to hold out so he can make less money?

He's going to end up making more playing football than just about anybody in history. He'll be a free agent again when he's 27 or 28.

Craziness.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='642720' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:43 PM'][b]It was a necessary move by Arizona due to the fact that they negotiated a terrible deal with Fitzgerald when they drafted him.[/b] They loaded it with escalator clauses that ballooned his contract to ridiculous levels. He's worth a boatload of money and this move gives them much-needed cap room. It was poor management that their hand was forced like this.[/quote]

AMEN.

That teams needs a GM. -_-

BZ

[quote name='TheBZ' post='642757' date='Mar 12 2008, 02:32 AM']AMEN.

That teams needs a GM. -_-

BZ[/quote]

That team needs new ownership. Sounds familiar.

It's kinda like when our team gave Justin Smith 8 mil for a season, and signed old ass willie to an extension, and gave stacy andrews 8 mil for a season.

Archived