Any F1 Fans?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='643815' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:39 PM']F1 has kind of fallen off the radar here in the states in regard to interest.

BTW, what do you do for a living down there?[/quote]

I never really followed it either, until last year, when Lewis Hamilton had all of the UK abuzz, and I took notice. I had some friends back home who followed it - wasn't sure if anyone else might be up watching...

I'm still looking for work. I have an appointment this week. With any luck, I'll be employed here shortly.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='643817' date='Mar 16 2008, 12:47 AM']I never really followed it either, until last year, when Lewis Hamilton had all of the UK abuzz, and I took notice. I had some friends back home who followed it - wasn't sure if anyone else might be up watching...

I'm still looking for work. I have an appointment this week. With any luck, I'll be employed here shortly.[/quote]

Best of luck.

Is there a particular industry you work in?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='643820' date='Mar 16 2008, 04:11 PM']Best of luck.

Is there a particular industry you work in?[/quote]

Computers/electronics usually...

You watching the race at all? Massa just took out Coulthard, who threatened on live tv to "kill the little bastard" if he didn't take the blame and apologize after the race. :lol:

How's live in LV?

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='643824' date='Mar 16 2008, 01:24 AM']Computers/electronics usually...

You watching the race at all? Massa just took out Coulthard, who threatened on live tv to "kill the little bastard" if he didn't take the blame and apologize after the race. :lol:

How's live in LV?[/quote]

Not watching the race at the moment as our exchange student is catching the "football" report on the Fox Soccer Channel.

Life in LV isn't too bad; the impending economic collapse hasn't hit the gaming industry yet, so the economy is still holding its own. I'm just not sure for how long.

I don't mean to pry, but the wife and I have seriously tossed around the idea of becoming ex pats, with Australia and New Zealand topping the list (we both suck at learning new languages).

I work in IT myself and have taken notice of the number of Oracle jobs they have in NZ.

How did you find yourself "down under"?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='643826' date='Mar 16 2008, 04:31 PM']Not watching the race at the moment as our exchange student is catching the "football" report on the Fox Soccer Channel.

Life in LV isn't too bad; the impending economic collapse hasn't hit the gaming industry yet, so the economy is still holding its own. I'm just not sure for how long.

I don't mean to pry, but the wife and I have seriously tossed around the idea of becoming ex pats, with Australia and New Zealand topping the list (we both suck at learning new languages).

I work in IT myself and have taken notice of the number of Oracle jobs they have in NZ.

How did you find yourself "down under"?[/quote]
So far I love this place. If it was closer to my seats @ PBS, it would be perfect. The people are friendly as can be, the city is clean, and though busy, not overcrowded and crazy. The public transport works well.. really, I have no complaints. I could see myself staying here to be honest.

The economy here is still going pretty strong. The Aussie $ appears poised to overtake the US$ before too long. It's climbed from $.88 to $.94 this year. They've been hiking interest rates to try to curb inflation, but unemployment is pretty low from what I understand. The place is sports crazy - cricket, aussie rules football and rugby having very strong followings, and racing gets a lot of tv time. Not just F1, but local supercars and even NASCAR. Who'da thunk it?

Haven't been to NZ yet, but am hoping to go there this winter for a bit of skiing.

I'm not sure how I might be of further help in your research of the area, but feel free to PM me if I can give you any info that might help.

Archived