UC Athletics Announces Football Schedule Changes with Ohio State

Jeb

[quote]UC Athletics Announces Football Schedule Changes with Ohio State

2012 and 2014 games to be played in Columbus following contractual action by OSU

March 18, 2008

CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati Department of Athletics has announced changes to its future football series with Ohio State, moving the 2012 game from Cincinnati to Columbus. The final game of the original contract, signed in 2003, will also be played in 2014 in Columbus.

Following discussions with Ohio State Athletics in which they indicated their intent to opt out of the 2012 game, originally scheduled at Paul Brown Stadium, UC negotiated an enhanced agreement to play the game in Columbus. The compensation for that game now includes cash payments to Cincinnati valued at $1,000,000. These payments begin immediately and will be put toward funding of the new football initiatives at UC.

"This particular football scheduling agreement with Ohio State, like all agreements, contained a buyout clause for the game in 2012." says Director of Athletics Mike Thomas. "It was clear that Ohio State was prepared to exercise its contractual option to vacate this particular game, but we were able to negotiate an enhanced agreement for 2012."

"UC had no legal recourse, nor means to stop this action from taking place, due to the language in the original contract."

Head football coach Brian Kelly, who was involved in the negotiations, stated, "In this case UC is making the best out of a difficult pre-existing contract. It would be a shame to see the only BCS schools in the state of Ohio end an in-state rivalry on the football field. The state with the most-storied tradition in high school football should have that same excitement at the college level."

"I agree with Mike Thomas that playing future games on an even playing field will be an important factor in scheduling for the future," continued Kelly. "This course of action is consistent with my philosophy that Cincinnati will play anyone, anywhere, at anytime."

The University of Cincinnati will close this current scheduling arrangement with the Buckeyes with a final game in 2014, also in Columbus. UC Athletics will be paid $375,000 from Ohio State for this final game, which ends the terms of the 2003 scheduling agreement. This is the final game between Cincinnati and Ohio State on the books.[/quote]
[url="http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031808aaa.html"]http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl.../031808aaa.html[/url]

We get to play the Buckeyes and we get paid $1 million to do it!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

[quote name='Jeb' post='644398' date='Mar 18 2008, 06:45 PM'][url="http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031808aaa.html"]http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl.../031808aaa.html[/url]

We get to play the Buckeyes and we get paid $1 million to do it!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/quote]

We were going to get to play the Buckeyes as it is but they were too scared to play down at PBS so they wanted to change the game to Columbus, even if it means they have to pay UC $1,000,000. But as Brian Kelly put it, he'd play the Buckeyes in the parking lot just to get a chance to play them.........it's essential that UC does in order to become the player with local kids that Kelly wants UC to be.

I am/have been an OSU fan my whole life but they're really starting to rub me the wrong way.........first refusing to play UC in basketball up until last year when we had our worst team of all time (a team put together in 2 months) and now the football thing. They will now be "that school up north" to me.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='644563' date='Mar 19 2008, 09:05 AM'][b]We were going to get to play the Buckeyes as it is but they were too scared to play down at PBS so they wanted to change the game to Columbus, even if it means they have to pay UC $1,000,000. [/b] But as Brian Kelly put it, he'd play the Buckeyes in the parking lot just to get a chance to play them.........it's essential that UC does in order to become the player with local kids that Kelly wants UC to be.

I am/have been an OSU fan my whole life but they're really starting to rub me the wrong way.........first refusing to play UC in basketball up until last year when we had our worst team of all time (a team put together in 2 months) and now the football thing. They will now be "that school up north" to me.[/quote]

lol too scared? There would have been more OSU fans at PBS anyway. This is strictly financial.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='644570' date='Mar 19 2008, 09:37 AM']lol too scared? There would have been more OSU fans at PBS anyway. This is strictly financial.[/quote]

If memory serves me, last time they came to PBS, they escaped by the skin of their teeth, because of an Antonio Chatman drop, or the shitty field causing the kicker to slip during an extra point.

It wasn't financial - OSU didn't want to just move the game to Columbus to make more money, they wanted to cancel the game totally. What has changed recently that would have OSU suddenly wanting to opt out of the game? The obvious difference is UC's emergence as a program.

And in basketball, I don't blame them for never wanting to play UC; Oscar taught them a lesson in the '61 and '62 finals, and they haven't forgotten it!

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='644576' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:18 AM']If memory serves me, last time they came to PBS, they escaped by the skin of their teeth, because of an Antonio Chatman drop, or the shitty field causing the kicker to slip during an extra point.

It wasn't financial - OSU didn't want to just move the game to Columbus to make more money, they wanted to cancel the game totally. What has changed recently that would have OSU suddenly wanting to opt out of the game? The obvious difference is UC's emergence as a program.

And in basketball, I don't blame them for never wanting to play UC; Oscar taught them a lesson in the '61 and '62 finals, and they haven't forgotten it![/quote]

oh I don't deny that OSU has nothing to gain by playing UC, but by moving the game OSU stands to make probably $5million and gain an even bigger crowd advantage.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='644581' date='Mar 19 2008, 11:27 AM']oh I don't deny that OSU has nothing to gain by playing UC, but by moving the game OSU stands to make probably $5million and gain an even bigger crowd advantage.[/quote]

I agree, but I'm saying that doesn't explain why they wanted to cancel the game outright, and the present arrangement was only negotiated as a compromise by UC, as per the article:

[quote]Following discussions with Ohio State Athletics in which they indicated their intent to opt out of the 2012 game, originally scheduled at Paul Brown Stadium[/quote]

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='644576' date='Mar 20 2008, 02:18 AM']If memory serves me, last time they came to PBS, they escaped by the skin of their teeth, because of an Antonio Chatman drop, or the shitty field causing the kicker to slip during an extra point.[/quote]

I actually think he dropped not one, but two in the end zone on that last drive, if I remember right.. UC had that game won.

Holding the game at OSU = 50,000 more fans passing through the gate. And a lot fewer of them (by percentage, anywho) wearing black.

Archived