2008 March Madness Thread

JC

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='645256' date='Mar 22 2008, 01:41 AM']Go-Bengals Tournament Selection Group update:

Butt Pirate begins to pull away on the genius of his cleverly-named, 99th-percentile-overall bracket.

[img]http://homepages.uc.edu/~johd4/images/ts1.jpg[/img][/quote]

I don't know how to post a pic of it, but you will notice sigshoota overtook the #1 spot..... :049:

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='645374' date='Mar 22 2008, 03:33 PM']22 points, 11 rebs

Singler had 6 and 4 and got his 4th personal with what, 12 minutes left, and I'm pretty sure at least 3 were on Alexander

Not that I'm surprised at all that you were completely off base, ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)[/quote]

What game did you watch? Singler hardly defended Alexander. Lance Thomas did and when Thomas didnt Henderson did and McClure for a few minutes. Henderson and McClure shut down Alexander. Thomas got raped by Alexander though. I cant believe we chose to defend Alexander with FREAKING lance thomas. Singler guarded Alexander on like 5 possessions and Alexander only scored 1 time.

I didnt get to see the other games played at DC today, but those refs were pathetic. They called so many stupid fouls on both teams and then didnt call some of the most obvious fouls. That game was pathetic all around. Both teams were sloppy as hell and both teams played bad, Duke played REALLY bad. Probably the worst game Duke has played all year. Both teams were sloppy and the refs were inconsistent and bad. They need to let the players play and not call such tacky shit. And what is with them FINALLY calling travels and carrying? They havent called traveling or carrying/palming in the past 15 years and all of a sudden there have been a shit load of traveling and carrying/palming calls this tournament. Ive seen more of those calls in the past 3 days then I did in the past 10 years of college basketball.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='645482' date='Mar 23 2008, 02:04 AM']What game did you watch? Singler hardly defended Alexander. Lance Thomas did and when Thomas didnt Henderson did and McClure for a few minutes. Henderson and McClure shut down Alexander. Thomas got raped by Alexander though. I cant believe we chose to defend Alexander with FREAKING lance thomas. Singler guarded Alexander on like 5 possessions and Alexander only scored 1 time.

I didnt get to see the other games played at DC today, but those refs were pathetic. They called so many stupid fouls on both teams and then didnt call some of the most obvious fouls. That game was pathetic all around. Both teams were sloppy as hell and both teams played bad, Duke played REALLY bad. Probably the worst game Duke has played all year. Both teams were sloppy and the refs were inconsistent and bad. They need to let the players play and not call such tacky shit. And what is with them FINALLY calling travels and carrying? They havent called traveling or carrying/palming in the past 15 years and all of a sudden there have been a shit load of traveling and carrying/palming calls this tournament. Ive seen more of those calls in the past 3 days then I did in the past 10 years of college basketball.[/quote]
Gawsh damn. I could not understand why they kept Thomas on Alexander all game. When they put McClure on him he could not do anything. McClures defense alone should warrant him more minutes, but he didnt get as many it seemed this year. The lack of post scoring hurt. Zoub left the game in the first ten minutes which left us without our big man. Not saying we would have won if he was in, but we wouldnt have gotten outrebounded by 20.

I just don't understand why K kept Thomas in over McClure. Unbelievable. After watching McClure work him, and watching Thomas get beat repeatdly you would think he would have saw.

The three's didn't fall. That hurt the worst, so many rimmed out. DeMarcus couldn't finish to save his life..

I think this team hit a wall. It was pretty obvious during the last few games. Then when they hit the tourny half of the team got the flu.

Next year i would love to see a more lights out TK. A much stronger and hopefully faster Singler. Lance Thomas to work on his lower body. His calves are the sticks. Zoub to stay healthy. Nolan Smith to work on running the floor a little more and Greg running a little more two guard. Elliot Williams should come in and be a scorer. Olek Czyz could be a spark player. Scheyer has got to start. The guy just scores. I hope G works on his shooting a little more. He is inconsistent. And hope and pray we can score Greg Echenique. We need a big banger down low that has an arsenal of post moves. Next year looks to be about the same. We probably beat the ACC up but the tourny will be tough unless Zoub can become a consistent post scorer.

Duke 2007-08 Live and die by the three. They died yesterday.

I wasnt expecting much this year or next year. So this year was a nice surprise. In 2009 I expect a team that contends for the National Championship. That will be one of the best teams theyve had in a while. This is assuming Gerald doesnt leave early and I think he seems to be a 4 year player because of his lack of range. Singler looks like a 4 year player too.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='645516' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:12 AM']I wasnt expecting much this year or next year. So this year was a nice surprise. In 2009 I expect a team that contends for the National Championship. That will be one of the best teams theyve had in a while. This is assuming Gerald doesnt leave early and I think he seems to be a 4 year player because of his lack of range. Singler looks like a 4 year player too.[/quote]
I hope, but if Gerald averages 15+ next year i could see him bolting. Singler i don't no. If he shoots better from three and develops inside a little more i could see him gone too. But hopefully in 2009 we have Kenny Boyton and the year after that we grab Brandon Knight. That would be the sickest combo of guards ever.

If Gerald Henderson came out this year he would be a top 15 pick. Next year if he improves the consistency of his jump shot he will be a top 5 - 10 pick easily. That kid pisses athleticism.

Oh yeah, Duke :pointlaff: I love Bob Huggins making Coach K his bitch. I don't think he's ever lost to him.

Oh yeah, wait until the 2013 UC team, thats going to be the team to beat!!!!!!1

[quote name='IKOTA' post='645548' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:40 PM']If Gerald Henderson came out this year he would be a top 15 pick. Next year if he improves the consistency of his jump shot he will be a top 5 - 10 pick easily. That kid pisses athleticism.

Oh yeah, Duke :pointlaff: I love Bob Huggins making Coach K his bitch. I don't think he's ever lost to him.

Oh yeah, wait until the 2013 UC team, thats going to be the team to beat!!!!!!1[/quote]
I really hope your not making fun of a team that actually made the tournament..

[quote name='Bunghole' post='645570' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:44 AM']Me too, except for my bracket. I was going to win that 10k on ESPN.com's Tourney Challenge!
:lol:[/quote]
Hope you hadn't started spending your winnings ^_^

My brackets used to look really good after the first two rounds. I seem to have a knack for finding the early upsets that are early bracket busters for some. One year I was in the 99th percentile on ESPN going into the sweet sixteen...

and then I lost 5 of my elite 8 in the round of 16. I came back to reality pretty quick <_<

[quote name='IKOTA' post='645585' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:55 PM']Why yes, yes I am[/quote]
Not everyone can go out in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational i guess..

[quote name='JC' post='645618' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:43 PM']Not everyone can go out in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational i guess..[/quote]

I'd like to see how Duke or any other school for that matter does under the circumstances UC was put in. Nice comparison there buddy.........

[quote name='IKOTA' post='645720' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:12 AM']I'd like to see how Duke or any other school for that matter does [b]under the circumstances UC was put in[/b]. Nice comparison there buddy.........[/quote]

How was UC put in those circumstances??? Didn't they hire the coaches? Can't they fire the coaches?

That is like saying Indiana isn't responsible for the circumstances Kelvin Sampson put them in...

Hello, the guy did the same shit at Oklahoma... you knew what you were buying. Move on. Next time don't hire the creep and you won't have circumstances "you were put in".

[quote name='IKOTA' post='645720' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:12 AM']I'd like to see how Duke or any other school for that matter does under the circumstances UC was put in. Nice comparison there buddy.........[/quote]
Duke hires coaches who are good people on and off the court so it would never be a concern. Duke also has a high graduation rate for their sports too. Plus the next coach is already set to take over the team when Coach K hangs it up. The difference between UC and Duke is Duke makes the right decisions with its personnel and gets good eggs instead of bad eggs.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='645720' date='Mar 24 2008, 11:12 AM']I'd like to see how Duke or any other school for that matter does under the circumstances UC was put in. Nice comparison there buddy.........[/quote]
Oh don't be a little girl.

Your making fun of a team that was actually in the tournament and your team is playing in some college basketball invitational..not the nit, the college basketball invitational.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='645965' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:27 AM']Duke hires coaches who are good people on and off the court so it would never be a concern. Duke also has a high graduation rate for their sports too. Plus the next coach is already set to take over the team when Coach K hangs it up. The difference between UC and Duke is Duke makes the right decisions with its personnel and gets good eggs instead of bad eggs.[/quote]
While I'm not a Duke fan, used to be, but my issue with Coach K is he presents this holier than thou persona yet when you hear people talk about him, or read his lips when ass-chewing an official, he's cussing like a drunken sailor on weekend shore leave...

No disrespect to sailors B)

I wish he'd just be himself - if that is a trash mouth then fine, just own it. But don't act one way in front of public / player's parents and act another on the court. Love him or hate him, Bobby Knight acts the same on and off the court. Coach K does not. That is my principal gripe with Duke.

Secondly, you say there is already a coach set to take over... where was that coach when Coach K left for the year or year and a half to have the back surgery? Because they sucked while he was gone. I think when he retires there'll be at least a 3-4 year lull trying to find the appropriate replacement - similar to what UNC went through.

The simple fact of the matter is that whomever comes in is trying to replace a legend and the fans will hold the new coach to the same standards as that legend and expect immediate comparable results which isn't fair - that new coach needs a year or two to get his system / players in.

Just my .02.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='645946' date='Mar 25 2008, 10:42 AM']How was UC put in those circumstances??? Didn't they hire the coaches? Can't they fire the coaches?

That is like saying Indiana isn't responsible for the circumstances Kelvin Sampson put them in...

Hello, the guy did the same shit at Oklahoma... you knew what you were buying. Move on. Next time don't hire the creep and you won't have circumstances "you were put in".[/quote]

The President of the university pretty much put the basketball program in limbo for 2 years.......no recruiting for 2 yrs can nearly kill a basketball program. NO matter how they got put in postion, they were there......that's the point.

[quote]Hello, the guy did the same shit at Oklahoma... you knew what you were buying. Move on. Next time don't hire the creep and you won't have circumstances "you were put in".[/quote]

The above is just nonsense.........do you know any of the history regarding UC basetball and Bob Huggins? Obviously not, but let me explain a little bit to you. First, Kelvin Sampson did something illegal a year before doing pretty much the same thing again, yes IU should have known that he's a risky hire. Sampson coached at IU for what a year? Huggins coached at UC for 16 years.......here, I'll repeat that one for you........16 years. What in his past history would have led UC or any school for that matter to not hire this "creep"? What did Huggins do while coaching the Akron Zips that would have raised a red flag to UC........where again, he coached for 16 years? He got a DUI and that was it for him, no more rollover contract, which effectively kills your recruiting efforts itself.........

You should try to gain a little bit of background knowledge before posting nonsense. Good luck.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='645965' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:57 AM']Duke hires coaches who are good people on and off the court so it would never be a concern. Duke also has a high graduation rate for their sports too. Plus the next coach is already set to take over the team when Coach K hangs it up. The difference between UC and Duke is Duke makes the right decisions with its personnel and gets good eggs instead of bad eggs.[/quote]

K

[quote name='JC' post='646000' date='Mar 25 2008, 01:06 PM']Oh don't be a little girl.

Your making fun of a team that was actually in the tournament and your team is playing in some college basketball invitational..not the nit, the college basketball invitational.[/quote]

I didn't know not liking a team constituted being a girl.........I see now.....thanks for the enlightenment.

And UC is NOT playing in the college basketball invitational...........they lost already and are out of it :lol:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='646021' date='Mar 25 2008, 12:45 PM']While I'm not a Duke fan, used to be, but my issue with Coach K is he presents this holier than thou persona yet when you hear people talk about him, or read his lips when ass-chewing an official, he's cussing like a drunken sailor on weekend shore leave...

No disrespect to sailors B)

I wish he'd just be himself - if that is a trash mouth then fine, just own it. But don't act one way in front of public / player's parents and act another on the court. Love him or hate him, Bobby Knight acts the same on and off the court. Coach K does not. That is my principal gripe with Duke.

Secondly, you say there is already a coach set to take over... where was that coach when Coach K left for the year or year and a half to have the back surgery? Because they sucked while he was gone. I think when he retires there'll be at least a 3-4 year lull trying to find the appropriate replacement - similar to what UNC went through.

The simple fact of the matter is that whomever comes in is trying to replace a legend and the fans will hold the new coach to the same standards as that legend and expect immediate comparable results which isn't fair - that new coach needs a year or two to get his system / players in.

Just my .02.[/quote]

Johnny Dawkins wasnt prepared to be coach (which was 14 years ago, 94/95 season). Coach K was 9-3 as he coached the first 12 games of that season. The interim coach (Pete Gaudet) went 4-15 with that team. Now Dawkins is SET to be the coach. It is 100% fact he will replace Coach K. Im actually 99% sure it is in Coach K's lifetime contract he signed. Dawkins has turned down AT LEAST 5 coaching jobs that I know of because he is replacing Coach K.

Why does Coach K need to act the same? We all know Coach K coaches like Bob Knight. I mean he learned from Bob Knight. He coaches like him. My 2 favorite coaches are K and Knight. Why cant he act good when he isnt coaching? He tries to be professional when he is seen in the public eye more. He tries to be a good role model. He coaches differently than he lives his life. I dont have a problem with that. I dont think every squad leader or whatever in the military (idk the names so dont blast me) goes home and yells and demands pushups and makes everyone run in his house. I am sure there are some that do, but Im also sure there are some that are completely different at home. That has never bothered me at all. Coach K also has a very good relationship with all of his players. He just isnt the same type of guy Bob Knight is. He just was taught by Bob Knight and has always felt that was the best way to coach his players. He did go to West Point and I am sure he brings that style into his coaching as well. He went to West Point and coached 5 years there.

I dont see how trying to be a good role model in the eye of children is something to dislike.

[quote name='IKOTA' post='646057' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:47 PM']The President of the university pretty much put the basketball program in limbo for 2 years.......no recruiting for 2 yrs can nearly kill a basketball program. NO matter how they got put in postion, they were there......that's the point.[/quote]

The President of the university... so, that would make my point I think. The university brought it on itself... that's the point. Don't make excuses for them.

[quote]The above is just nonsense.........do you know any of the history regarding UC basetball and Bob Huggins? Obviously not, but let me explain a little bit to you. First, Kelvin Sampson did something illegal a year before doing pretty much the same thing again, yes IU should have known that he's a risky hire. Sampson coached at IU for what a year? Huggins coached at UC for 16 years.......here, I'll repeat that one for you........16 years. What in his past history would have led UC or any school for that matter to not hire this "creep"? What did Huggins do while coaching the Akron Zips that would have raised a red flag to UC........where again, he coached for 16 years? He got a DUI and that was it for him, no more rollover contract, which effectively kills your recruiting efforts itself.........

You should try to gain a little bit of background knowledge before posting nonsense. Good luck.[/quote]
I know quite a bit about UC / Huggs - I grew up in Cincy, graduated high school in Cincy in 94... Huggins recruited plenty of marginally thuggish players (found about 28-30 player incidents that all range in DUI to theft to assault and battery or higher from 1995 to 2005) and that DUI you passively waive off occurred right after he'd taken a recruit out to dinner...

Classy, I can see the conversation now...

[i]Huggy Bear: "Hey son, lets go do dinner."

Recruit: "That sounds great."

Huggy Bear: "Do you mind if I get smashed???"

Recruit: "No coach, but maybe I should drive separate..."[/i]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='646088' date='Mar 25 2008, 05:30 PM']Johnny Dawkins wasnt prepared to be coach (which was 14 years ago, 94/95 season). Coach K was 9-3 as he coached the first 12 games of that season. The interim coach (Pete Gaudet) went 4-15 with that team. Now Dawkins is SET to be the coach. It is 100% fact he will replace Coach K. Im actually 99% sure it is in Coach K's lifetime contract he signed. Dawkins has turned down AT LEAST 5 coaching jobs that I know of because he is replacing Coach K.

Why does Coach K need to act the same? We all know Coach K coaches like Bob Knight. I mean he learned from Bob Knight. He coaches like him. My 2 favorite coaches are K and Knight. Why cant he act good when he isnt coaching? He tries to be professional when he is seen in the public eye more. He tries to be a good role model. He coaches differently than he lives his life. I dont have a problem with that. I dont think every squad leader or whatever in the military (idk the names so dont blast me) goes home and yells and demands pushups and makes everyone run in his house. I am sure there are some that do, but Im also sure there are some that are completely different at home. That has never bothered me at all. Coach K also has a very good relationship with all of his players. He just isnt the same type of guy Bob Knight is. He just was taught by Bob Knight and has always felt that was the best way to coach his players. He did go to West Point and I am sure he brings that style into his coaching as well. He went to West Point and coached 5 years there.

I dont see how trying to be a good role model in the eye of children is something to dislike.[/quote]
I hope for Dukes' sake that Dawkins can continue the tradition with no hiccup... history says otherwise from Alabama football to UNC basketball, etc.

And, regarding acting holier than then being absolutely foul when a game starts... we'll just agree to disagree on that one. The guy absolutely is a sewer mouth on the court. He steps off the court and he's pristine Coach K and everyone hails the guy... I don't get it. But, like I said, to each his own, and we'll agree to disagree.

Archived