The beginning of the end for Chad

[quote]By Chick Ludwig | Sunday, March 23, 2008, 09:35 AM

For Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson, the beginning of the end came on Oct. 21, 2007.

Early that day, long before the Bengals defeated the visiting New York Jets, 38-31, sports columnist Paul Daugherty of The Cincinnati Enquirer showed “face up” on driveways and doorsteps throughout the Tri-State.

In “Doc’s” column, he asked two questions.

One: “Would the Bengals be better off with Johnson as he is now — and has always been?”

Two: “Or in the long run, would they be better off without him?”

The questions were excellent, legitimate and fair.

But Chad didn’t see it that way. One word kept repeating over and over in his mind like a broken record: “Betrayal.”

You see, Daugherty authored the book, “CHAD: I Can’t Be Stopped” — published by Orange Frazer Press in Wilmington, Ohio, the same company that published my book, “The Legends, Cincinnati Bengals: The Men, The Deeds, The Consequences.”

Walking out of the locker room that day, Chad told me that he was hurt by the writer he felt closest to. He had let “Doc” into his life, had allowed him to meet his family; had opened himself up and allowed “Doc” to peer into his heart, his soul, his mind.

The timing of the story was critical … the Bengals had just lost four straight games and in one of them —- the 34-13 Monday Night home loss to the New England Patriots —- Chad admittedly ran a wrong route that led to a late-second-quarter interception, which triggered a very heated, very animated and very public display of anger between Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer that spilled from the field, to the sideline and on the walk into the locker room at halftime.

Tensions were already running high that October Sunday for other reasons, too.

Bengals fans had been vocal in their criticism of Johnson all week long on sports talk shows, saying Johnson’s on-field antics were wearing thin.

Then prior to kickoff, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen sparked controversy when he said on “Sunday NFL Countdown” that sources within the Bengals organization told him that Johnson could be trade bait in the offseason.

After the game, Chad exited the locker room without speaking to the assembled media. In the hallway outside the weight room, Chad conducted his weekly “Chad’s Corner” interview for Channel 19, the local FOX affiliate, then split — but not before speaking to me in a whisper about how hurt he felt by “Doc’s” column.

I am firmly convinced that that night, Chad made up his mind that he wouldn’t be a Cincinnati Bengal come the autumn of 2008.

“Check with me tomorrow,” Chad said. “I’ll give you one of those Barbara Walters’ exclusives.”

And he did. In the parking lot. Next to his car. Underneath some concrete protection from a heavy rain, my tape recorder whirred for nearly 20 minutes.

It was Oct. 22, 2007 … the last time we spoke.

And as he drove away, I wondered if we would ever have another one-on-one again.

I’m still wondering …

The reason I’m bringing this up NOW is because the Bengals start their offseason workout program on Monday, March 24, and for the first time in eight years, Chad plans to skip it.

He’s been screaming all off-season that he wants to be traded. So far, his cry has fallen on deaf ears … or has it?

Surely, Bengals management has to know that an unhappy Chad will poison and fracture the locker room.

How can he come back? How can he look his teammates in the eye and tell them he’s a team player, that he was just joking around about wanting out?

The fact is … he can’t. And the Bengals’ management and coaching staff know it.

I look for Chad to be traded prior to or during the April 26-27 NFL draft.

Here’s a look back at … CHAD JOHNSON’S “BARBARA WALTERS’ EXCLUSIVE” (Originally published on Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2007) By Chick Ludwig Staff Writer

CINCINNATI — Standing next to his Mercury Marauder in the parking lot at Paul Brown Stadium, Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson didn’t hold back. He poured out his emotion as rain pelted his sleek, black sedan.

Q. ESPN reported you could be traded. How frustrating is it to deal with? A. Frustrating? You think I’m frustrated? Are you watching me play? You can’t play at the same time you’re frustrated. My mind is so clear right now it’s unbelievable. I’m so focused right now it’s unbelievable. Nothing can steer or deter me away from producing and doing what I can to help us win, at all. Nothing. So it’s easy.

Q. What’s your reaction to those who suggest the team might be better off without you? A. I have none. It doesn’t hurt at all. An old team’s trash is another team’s treasure. You’ve got 31 teams in the NFL beside us, and every player, every coach, loves eighty-five. I guarantee that. Every coach and every player would love to have eighty-five on their team because they know what I bring to the table. I bring a different spectrum of playing football to the table.

Q. Where’s all this outside negativism coming from? A. I guarantee you it’s not the fans that sit in our stadium. You know what’s so funny about this? The whole thing is we are mad about a player — not one that gets in trouble, not one that’s in the news for negative stuff. We’re mad at somebody that loves the game, that’s having fun and enjoying himself. When it gets to that point, that’s when I have to put my defense on. Since I’ve been here. I’ve always been about pleasing the people around me, including this city — bringing something to this city they haven’t had in years. YEARS! You’ve never had excitement like this in years. Never had a personality like this. And you’re going to tell me you’re tired of something you’ve never had before? This (stadium) sells out every week.

Q. What if you are trade bait? A. So be it. Believe me. So be it.

Q. Do you want out of Cincinnati? A. No, I’m here. I didn’t say it. Don’t ask me. Go ask (Bengals management). It doesn’t matter where Chad Johnson is. Chad Johnson is going to get it done.

Q. Are you happy here? A. Of course. I’m smiling. As long as I’m smiling, I’m happy.

Q. If the team was 4-2 and not 2-4, would this be an issue? A. Probably not. But I’m an easy target. Perception is not reality. You know what you see on the field is not me off the field. Everything I’ve done has always been positive, It’s always been fun. It’s never been a me-me-me thing. It’s how Chad plays the game. I celebrate. It is a dirty business. And to get the business side of it off my mind, I go out and have fun with it like I’m a little kid. That’s all it is. It’s the NFL. But I’m playing like it’s the back yard. And I’m wrong because I’m not the norm.

Q. Would you be a different receiver for another club, like, say, New England? A. No. Of course not. That’s the reason he (Patriots coach Bill Belichick) loves me. He loves me because I’m me. BECAUSE I’M ME. Because of what I bring to the game.

Q. Head coach Marvin Lewis call you a team player. Well, are you? A. I’ve always been. Some of the things that are being said are just so ridiculous, man. I think it’s because I’m completely out of the norm of what a receiver should be. I’m the only person that plays and talks and does the things he does, but at the same time I’m very, very productive. I cannot perform at a high level and not be Chad. It’s impossible.

Q. Are you going to change? A. No, you know that. You know I am not going to change. You’re not going to stop me from being me, from having fun.

Q. Are you selfish? A. When you have a receiver that doesn’t want the ball. that’s the receiver you don’t want on your team. You have to have a confidence about yourself and your game. You’ve got to feel you can defeat that person in front of you. You’ve got to want it. That’s just how you have to be. But everyone approaches their game differently, and that’s what I’ve come to understand. That’s why I’ve slowed down on the bulletin board material.

Q. Did you quit on a route that led to a Carson Palmer interception in Kansas City? A. No. We didn’t connect on it. That’s all. I’m not going to say it was his fault or mine. I was where I needed to be.

Q. Are you worried that your ‘entertainer’ label detracts from your greatness as a receiver? A. I’d rather you remember Chad the entertainer. I’m doing the same stuff the great ones did, what they’ve done or are still doing. But I’m bringing you another spectrum of the game my way — at the same time producing the way they did. When are people going to see that? I am producing year in and year out, and I’m only going to get BET-TER.

Q. How long can you keep improving? A. Until I’m 40. My passion, my love, my fear of failure is going to keep me driving. It’s going to keep me going. I’m rare because I approach it a different way. You know behind closed doors how many hours of film I’ve studied? They (the fans) don’t get to see that part. I don’t even want them to know that part because that’s common sense. As an NFL player, you’re suppose to work hard.

Q. How do you want to be remembered? A. As one of the greatest to ever play the game. I will be. I will be one of the greatest to ever play the game. My way. Chad’s way.

Contact Chick Ludwig at (937) 225-2253 or cludwig@DaytonDailyNews.com[/quote]

[quote name='Bengalmaniac' post='645527' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:48 AM']Get what you can for him and lets move on...I am a diehard Bengals fan not a fan of a single player.
B)[/quote]

$8 Million cap hit.

Unless they can figure out a way around that little roadblock, it looks like the locker room will be "cancerlicious" this season... <_<

[quote name='Elflocko' post='645528' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:54 AM']$8 Million cap hit.

Unless they can figure out a way around that little roadblock, it looks like the locker room will be "cancerlicious" this season... <_<[/quote]

Again, it's like $6 million if we keep him, $8 million if we trade him so it's only $2 million more. But then we don't have his salary in the coming years, so it's actually freeing up cap space in the future. So what you do, is sign Andrews to a long term contract with most of the money pushed into the next 2 years (money you would have been paying Chad), lowering the cap for this year.

If the Bengals are smart :mellow: , they will let it be known that they will listen to offers. They can still say they don't intend to trade him, but they will always entertain offers for any player. You could end up with a bidding war.

What if we could trade Chad and our 1st round pick for KC's 1st, 2nd and 3rd? That would guarantee us getting one of the coveted defensive players, and very early additional picks in round 2 and 3. Now I have no idea if KC would go for something like that, or what the trade value charts would say about it, but I'd jump all over something like that.

The attitude is annoying - it always is when someone believes their own hype.

I wonder if it has ever crossed Chad Johnson's mind that the stadium starting filling when the team became competitive?...I think it has become obvious that 11-5 makes people a lot more happy than a dance or two.

BZ

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='645539' date='Mar 23 2008, 11:55 AM']Again, it's like $6 million if we keep him, $8 million if we trade him so it's only $2 million more. But then we don't have his salary in the coming years, so it's actually freeing up cap space in the future. So what you do, is sign Andrews to a long term contract with most of the money pushed into the next 2 years (money you would have been paying Chad), lowering the cap for this year.

If the Bengals are smart :mellow: , they will let it be known that they will listen to offers. They can still say they don't intend to trade him, but they will always entertain offers for any player. You could end up with a bidding war.

What if we could trade Chad and our 1st round pick for KC's 1st, 2nd and 3rd? That would guarantee us getting one of the coveted defensive players, and very early additional picks in round 2 and 3. Now I have no idea if KC would go for something like that, or what the trade value charts would say about it, but I'd jump all over something like that.[/quote]

It may be $2M more, but it's still $8M we are paying someone we don't have. That we can't spend on someone to produce. And believe me, TJ and Chris will miss not having Chad out there.

[quote name='Jason' post='645543' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:42 PM']I'd rather they fire Daugherty and find a way to keep Chad happy. [b]Sounds from the article like he was the start of the trouble.[/b][/quote]

If thats the reason, then it sounds like the start of the trouble is Chad being a whiny, thin skinned little girl who cant deal with having a public persona and the negative aspects that come along with it.

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='645549' date='Mar 23 2008, 02:25 PM']Does he want out so bad that he would make up The Bengals $ loss out of his own pocket? If not, then shut the fuck up Chad..[/quote]

Yea, very, very, good point. Make up the money Chad or shut up!

[quote name='Rick' post='645555' date='Mar 23 2008, 05:22 PM']Yea, very, very, good point. Make up the money Chad or shut up![/quote]

What are you talking about?

Chad giving the Bengals money isn't going to take away the salary cap hit.

It's just not possible.

Again, the money isn't the issue so much as it is the principle of the money.

I don't see Mike Brown giving the thumbs up on a trade that would allow Chad to pocket 8 million for doing nothing.

Not until two things happen: The hit or "free money for Chad not honoring his contract" comes down, or Chad has greatly damaged the team.

Both of those require another season to pass.

If I were the Bengals, I would see what 50k would do to have Doc try a sincere apology. It would be kinda unethical to buy a third party apology, but when you've got millions and a season at stake why not try. Get Doc to sign a confidentiality agreement to it, pay him 50k (assuming that would be enough) and have him privately first apologize. What good are reporters if they can't be bought by huge corporations? Seriously though, if it doesn't require an article, just a series of heartfelt conversations, then try it once.

Back on trading Chad. You've still got to sign TJ and Andrews so they don't get crazy leverage for contracts, and then get fair value, which I see as a late first Rd value.

I don't see any reason at all why Daugherty should apologize. So he wrote a book with Chad and spent some time with him, so what? That means he's supposed to abandon his objectivity over a player that he perceived as having a potentially harmful attitude problem after the fact?
Fuck that, he was right and now we know it.
Sorry Chad, you have to take bad publicity with the good when the team isn't winning, and you were a part of the reason why, so stuff your 1400 yards and your propensity for referring to yourself by your number or in the third person.
Leon all over again, and really for no good reason other than money.

[quote name='Jason' post='645544' date='Mar 23 2008, 12:44 PM']It may be $2M more, but it's still $8M we are paying someone we don't have. That we can't spend on someone to produce. And believe me, TJ and Chris will miss not having Chad out there.[/quote]

I would prefer we didn't have to do it for all the reasons you gave, but Chad has made it clear that he needs to go. I don't think there's any way he can be a Bengal next year without causing more problems than he solves.

Right now he still has trade value, and probably very good trade value. The longer this goes on, the less we'll get for him.

The thing is, I do think the media was unfair to him. The media has been unfair to a lot of people though, and if you're going to demand media attention all the time the way he does, you should be better prepared to deal with it when they turn negative. Marvin tells these guys the media is not their friend and this is the classic example why.

I think what really upset Chad was that all his teammates didn't run to his defense. Maybe he thought everyone did love him, and didn't realize that most of these guys probably do resent the showboating and spotlight grabbing.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='645573' date='Mar 23 2008, 05:53 PM']I would prefer we didn't have to do it for all the reasons you gave, but Chad has made it clear that he needs to go. I don't think there's any way he can be a Bengal next year without causing more problems than he solves.

Right now he still has trade value, and probably very good trade value. The longer this goes on, the less we'll get for him.

The thing is, I do think the media was unfair to him. The media has been unfair to a lot of people though, and if you're going to demand media attention all the time the way he does, you should be better prepared to deal with it when they turn negative. Marvin tells these guys the media is not their friend and this is the classic example why.

I think what really upset Chad was that all his teammates didn't run to his defense. [b]Maybe he thought everyone did love him, and didn't realize that most of these guys probably do resent the showboating and spotlight grabbing.[/b][/quote]
Why should they? I would resent it too!

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='645573' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:53 AM']Right now he still has trade value, and probably very good trade value. The longer this goes on, the less we'll get for him.[/quote]

At his current contract, he's cheap based on some of the FA signings this offseason. I would think he'd have great trade value.

Perhaps the FO can pull off a sign and trade... Chad clearly wants more money just as much as a change of scenery. He's going to whine and get a new contract eventually, whether it's here, or elsewhere. If the Bengals can find a willing trade partner, couldn't they re-do his contract pushing back the cap hit to where it would effect his new team, and not leave us with an $8M dent in his absence?

Phatcat, is that a possibility, or am I confusing the NFL and the NBA salary structures :shrug:

It sure would be nice to dump his whiny ass for another first rounder.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='645578' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:11 PM']If the Bengals can find a willing trade partner, couldn't they re-do his contract pushing back the cap hit to where it would effect his new team, and not leave us with an $8M dent in his absence?[/quote]

Good question, and certainly seems like it should be allowed.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='645568' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:41 PM']I don't see any reason at all why Daugherty should apologize. So he wrote a book with Chad and spent some time with him, so what? That means he's supposed to abandon his objectivity over a player that he perceived as having a potentially harmful attitude problem after the fact?
Fuck that, he was right and now we know it.
Sorry Chad, you have to take bad publicity with the good when the team isn't winning, and you were a part of the reason why, so stuff your 1400 yards and your propensity for referring to yourself by your number or in the third person.
Leon all over again, and really for no good reason other than money.[/quote]

He shouldn't have to. He didn't do anything wrong.

This would be about management pandering to me-first thin skinned athletes for the good of the team.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='645578' date='Mar 23 2008, 08:11 PM']At his current contract, he's cheap based on some of the FA signings this offseason. I would think he'd have great trade value.

Perhaps the FO can pull off a sign and trade... Chad clearly wants more money just as much as a change of scenery. He's going to whine and get a new contract eventually, whether it's here, or elsewhere. If the Bengals can find a willing trade partner, couldn't they re-do his contract pushing back the cap hit to where it would effect his new team, and not leave us with an $8M dent in his absence?

Phatcat, is that a possibility, or am I confusing the NFL and the NBA salary structures :shrug:

It sure would be nice to dump his whiny ass for another first rounder.[/quote]

That would be nice, if we could pull something off like that. That cap hit is surely a major reason the team's not shopping him. I don't think its possible to be honest. I'm really getting sick of his whinny ass though.

I don't like him not coming to spring practice either. He seemed to have his best years when he and Carson had all that time together. He and Carson were lighting it up a couple of years ago. This past season Carson and Housh worked out more in the off season, and look what they did...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='645560' date='Mar 23 2008, 05:12 PM']What are you talking about?

Chad giving the Bengals money isn't going to take away the salary cap hit.

It's just not possible.[/quote]

According to Sparky151 it is.

[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=40669&hl="]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?show...c=40669&hl=[/url]

Post# 38

[i]It's in the CBA, article 24, section 7 on the salary cap. There is a subsection on cap credits. It's on page 67 of the CBA.

[url="http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/Agents/CBA_Amended_2006.pdf"]http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/Agents/CBA_Amended_2006.pdf[/url] [/i]

Yes, if Chad repaid some of his signing bonus, it would be credited to the Bengals salary cap. It would show up in the 2009 number though, not 2008. Of course, Chad would only repay the Bengals if he was assured his new team would give him a new deal and include extra compensation to offset whatever he gives back. It could happen and has happened before, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen here.

[quote name='Jason' post='645543' date='Mar 23 2008, 01:42 PM']I'd rather they fire Daugherty and find a way to keep Chad happy. Sounds from the article like he was the start of the trouble.[/quote]

u thin daugherty caused a grown man to half ass the whole season, and act like a total 7 yr old bitch for the last 3 months in the offseason?

Archived