Opening day lineup

CTA513

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' post='647451' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:51 PM']Reds go down 4-2 but oh well 161-1 here we come :P
Come on Arroyo get us on the winning track!![/quote]

'stros this year will probably be like the Reds of old--losing 8-7. The Reds have a change to make a splash this season. Can't wait til the Stros game tonight

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='647424' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:13 PM']Im only listening to it. And Stupid ass valentine tends to admire his hits sometimes.

But hes also pretty darn fat and slow. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Valentin is also one of the best clutch pinch hitters we have. That ball looked outta here off the bat. it was caught. So admiring it or not, he would have been out either way.

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='647205' date='Mar 30 2008, 03:15 PM']Hatteberg over Votto? Eh, not a big fan of that.[/quote]
Votto had a below average Spring, Hatteburg is a proven MLB hitter that gives you professional at bats every time.
Of course, MANY batters look average when facing arguably the best pitcher in th NL (Webb).

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='647438' date='Mar 31 2008, 03:04 PM']I get tired of you Half glass full ALL the time type cincy fans.

Middle relief off to a great start already! <_<[/quote]
Well, WE get tired of you "never going to win" types too. There's more reason for optimism going into this season than there was since 1999, despite their loss today. They faced Brandon Webb, you know, one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball? If we win the next two and take the series from the D-Backs, will that make you happy?
I admit it sucks losing on Opening Day, but there's still 161 games left...

[quote name='Bunghole' post='647455' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:05 PM']Valentin is also one of the best clutch pinch hitters we have. That ball looked outta here off the bat. it was caught. So admiring it or not, he would have been out either way.[/quote]

That was a different AB then the one we are talking about, earlier in the game he hit a long single off the right field wall that he should have been able to get to second on.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='647457' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:09 PM']Well, WE get tired of you "never going to win" types too. There's more reason for optimism going into this season than there was since 1999, despite their loss today. They faced Brandon Webb, you know, one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball? If we win the next two and take the series from the D-Backs, will that make you happy?
I admit it sucks losing on Opening Day, but there's still 161 games left...[/quote]

Unfortunately we have to play against a damn good pitcher in Haren tomorrow.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='647463' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:30 PM']That was a different AB then the one we are talking about, earlier in the game he hit a long single off the right field wall that he should have been able to get to second on.

Unfortunately we have to play against a damn good pitcher in Haren tomorrow.[/quote]
Don't worry, Bronson is bringing his guitar, he will lull the DBacks to sleep with his crappy singing......

And I wasn't referring to a specific AB, yeah Valentin isn't ever going to leave smoke trails on the basepaths, but he IS a great pinch hitter.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='647469' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:41 PM']Don't worry, Bronson is bringing his guitar, he will lull the DBacks to sleep with his crappy singing......

And I wasn't referring to a specific AB, yeah Valentin isn't ever going to leave smoke trails on the basepaths, but he IS a great pinch hitter.[/quote]

Valentine is an avg pinch hitter.

You need to start looking around the country instead of only in cincinnati.

And to all those Half glass full people bitching because i said it would be tough to come back on the D-backs with a guy like webb on the mound.

What ended up happening?

How many HR's our pitchers give up today?

3hrs.

Yep the bullpen looks promising!

Lets all hope for a good showing by Arroyo tomorow. :)

[quote name='JC' post='647387' date='Mar 31 2008, 02:14 PM']Edwin already has his first error of the season. [b]I think he changed his number as well.
[/b]

Well Go Reds!

That error kind of hurt too. 1-0 Diamondbacks.[/quote]

he changed #'s because Dusty Baker has always worn the # Edwin had and Edwin gave it to him.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='647435' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:00 PM']Oh noes he had 1 error with a wet ball...everyone grab your pitch forks!!!!!
:rolleyes:[/quote]

seriously. 1) the ball was wet and slipped out and 2) he led the reds in almost every hitting category possible post allstar break last season. he also ended the year as best batter with RISP and a few others and also had the best fielding % the 2nd half of the season as well.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='647475' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:56 PM']Valentine is an avg pinch hitter.

You need to start looking around the country instead of only in cincinnati.

And to all those Half glass full people bitching because i said it would be tough to come back on the D-backs with a guy like webb on the mound.

What ended up happening?

How many HR's our pitchers give up today?

3hrs.

Yep the bullpen looks promising!

Lets all hope for a good showing by Arroyo tomorow. :)[/quote]

actually multiple teams showed interest in valentin at the deadline last year because he is a great pinch hitter in the majors. he is one of the best around.

the reds did come back and get 2 runs on webb. being down by 1 going to the dbacks bullpen should = a win for the reds. they cant help griffey has never swung the bat so bad in his life as he did today. if those are even considered swings. phillips struck out 3 times and 2 times were on HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE calls by the home plate umpire.

the bullpen looked good today. they gave up 1 run on a HR because of a cutter that doesnt work well against those batters. Cordero looked great. Weathers did well.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='647479' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:19 PM']he changed #'s because Dusty Baker has always worn the # Edwin had and Edwin gave it to him.

seriously. 1) the ball was wet and slipped out and 2) he led the reds in almost every hitting category possible post allstar break last season. he also ended the year as best batter with RISP and a few others and also had the best fielding % the 2nd half of the season as well.

actually multiple teams showed interest in valentin at the deadline last year because he is a great pinch hitter in the majors. he is one of the best around.

the reds did come back and get 2 runs on webb. being down by 1 going to the dbacks bullpen should = a win for the reds. they cant help griffey has never swung the bat so bad in his life as he did today. if those are even considered swings. phillips struck out 3 times and 2 times were on HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE calls by the home plate umpire.

the bullpen looked good today. they gave up 1 run on a HR because of a cutter that doesnt work well against those batters. Cordero looked great. Weathers did well.[/quote]
I noticed that too. I think Griffey forgot that it wasn't golf season for him anymore. Dude was swinging at some LOW balls, but, again, Webb is the best sinkerballer in the biz.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='647482' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:32 PM']I noticed that too. I think Griffey forgot that it wasn't golf season for him anymore. Dude was swinging at some LOW balls, but, again, Webb is the best sinkerballer in the biz.[/quote]
they were SLOW SLOW SLOW swings too. he was swinging like an 80 year old grandma.

[quote name='Bengal Chris' post='647509' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:57 PM']I cant believe we lost, at home, on opening day.[/quote]

Hmm apparently you dont pay attention to history cause we are under .500 on opening day.

If there is one bad thing about reds season it means talking to all you pessimists...fortunately a few wins should help turn some of you around.

THats IT!

I'm DOne!

THem FUkers loST AgaIN!

Shoulda Had Hopper in Dare!

I Swear!!!

Fuggin Crusty only plays the old farts.

SEE Ya next Years Sweat Bands!!!

Heres to Hoppin that Crusty don't Rag our flamethrowers arms out of their sockets...at least they aint' rubbing on the clear watermellon calf grower shit like ol crusty knew they did up in Chi town.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='647650' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:27 AM']HAHA^^^ And you guys rag on me for being negative.

I see myself as a realists. Of course i have faith and never stop watching. But i like to analyze a game and figure out chances.[/quote]
That was sarcasm, BGWilly....

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='647650' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:27 AM']HAHA^^^ And you guys rag on me for being negative.

I see myself as a realists. Of course i have faith and never stop watching. But i like to analyze a game and figure out chances.[/quote]

Scales's posts are typically somewhat cryptic and opaque, and I do believe you've missed his sarcasm. Deep down, beneath the layers of poetry, I have a sneaking suspicion that Scales hides the sunny disposition of an optomist.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='648187' date='Apr 2 2008, 07:27 PM']EE with another error, big one too... <_<[/quote]
Glad someone said something about it... what a joke of a throw
It might be in his head now...
C'mon Coffey you're pickin up right where u left off last year

[quote name='JC' post='648201' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:58 PM']EE fucked up.

But boy did he make up for it! Walk off![/quote]

when he came up to bat my initial thought was "let him make up for his mistakes".

Surprised they had him bunt. He's not a bunter (they should be teaching him though) and he was the teams best hitter with men on base last year. I'd have let him swing from the get go and make sure he's pulling everything to the left. I understand why they went with the bunt though.

WOOT!
I was about to strangle Brantley for continually suggesting that EE needed to bunt, but yet couldn't, and then had to eat his words as he pinched a goddamn HR.
I kept screaming "No outs! A good hitter! Fuck the bunt! Two on, no outs...let him hit!"
And then brantley was like "let me be the first to apologize" or whatever.
I was like "You're goddamn right motherfucker!"
My wife and children are another story....

Archived