Opening day lineup

CTA513

"Who was that kid? I knew who Juan Encarnacion was, the guy who played with Cincinnati and with Florida. Maybe that's his brother or cousin or something like that. A pretty good hitter, though."
- Randy Johnson

[quote name='Bunghole' post='648242' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:11 PM']WOOT!
I was about to strangle Brantley for continually suggesting that EE needed to bunt, but yet couldn't, and then had to eat his words as he pinched a goddamn HR.
I kept screaming "No outs! A good hitter! Fuck the bunt! Two on, no outs...let him hit!"
And then brantley was like "let me be the first to apologize" or whatever.
I was like "You're goddamn right motherfucker!"
My wife and children are another story....[/quote]

The video replay on reds.com begins with Brantley saying "...not a clutch player." I still love The Cowboy though. If only others on this board were so gracious and quick to eat crow...

For those of you saying that he wasnt in a punting situation. Your wrong.

If you knew baseball you would know this.

first and second no outs...

Put the bunt down and see what happens. Its not a gaurunteed out. You put the ball n play. You got a possibility of an error. A no throw. But worst case scenario is 2nd and third with one out.

Statistics of EE hitting a walk off are not good.

That was a bunting situation. And was the right call for him to bunt.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='648486' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:14 PM']For those of you saying that he wasnt in a punting situation. Your wrong.

Put the bunt down and see what happens. Its not a gaurunteed out. You put the ball n play. You got a possibility of an error. A no throw. But worst case scenario is 2nd and third with one out.

Statistics of EE hitting a walk off are not good.

That was a bunting situation. And was the right call for him to bunt.[/quote]

you're right, EXCEPT when you have a player who can't bunt. Which was the case.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='648486' date='Apr 3 2008, 11:14 AM']For those of you saying that he wasnt in a punting situation. Your wrong.

[b]Statistics of EE hitting a walk off are not good. [/b]

That was a bunting situation. And was the right call for him to bunt.[/quote]

you are dumb. you are down 2 and you have the bottom of the order batting after him. Edwin led the team in RISP last year with a 360 avg. You do not bunt with a player who hasnt bunted since Single A. You also dont bunt with your best player with RISP and you dont bunt with the bottom of the lineup coming up behind him. If it was a 1 run game a bunt wouldnt be a bad idea. In a run game nah. The odds of the bottom of the lineup getting a hit to score 2 is FAR less than Edwin getting a hit to score the guys. Id rather trust Edwin who has proven he can hit with RISP than an inexperienced Votto or pinch hitting hatteberg/valentin or bako.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='648645' date='Apr 3 2008, 02:13 PM']you are dumb. you are down 2 and you have the bottom of the order batting after him. Edwin led the team in RISP last year with a 360 avg. You do not bunt with a player who hasnt bunted since Single A. You also dont bunt with your best player with RISP and you dont bunt with the bottom of the lineup coming up behind him. If it was a 1 run game a bunt wouldnt be a bad idea. In a run game nah. The odds of the bottom of the lineup getting a hit to score 2 is FAR less than Edwin getting a hit to score the guys. Id rather trust Edwin who has proven he can hit with RISP than an inexperienced Votto or pinch hitting hatteberg/valentin or bako.[/quote]

How long did you play baseball if at all. ?

And i guess your smarter than 99% of the Coaches in the MLB as well.

If you played baseball at least Varsity in Highschool.

You would know. EVERY player. Yes even DUNN. Goes through Bunting practice everyday! Hes bunted since single A. Mr.dumb.

Its pointless even argueing with someone with little to know knowledge of the game. Do the stats on Edwins HR's Per at bat.

Not to mention....

The FACT that edwin has been foking terrible at the plate. Its a gut call ONLY if the player at the plate is HOT! But the majority of the time. Its a bunting situation.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='648984' date='Apr 4 2008, 10:10 AM']How long did you play baseball if at all. ?

And i guess your smarter than 99% of the Coaches in the MLB as well.

If you played baseball at least Varsity in Highschool.

You would know. EVERY player. Yes even DUNN. Goes through Bunting practice everyday! Hes bunted since single A. Mr.dumb.

Its pointless even argueing with someone with little to know knowledge of the game. Do the stats on Edwins HR's Per at bat.

Not to mention....

The FACT that edwin has been foking terrible at the plate. Its a gut call ONLY if the player at the plate is HOT! But the majority of the time. Its a bunting situation.[/quote]

go look at the stats of edwin with RISP throughout his career. even in his slumps he hit decent with RISP.

i played baseball from age 5 to 19. T-ball then Knothole, AABC and on.

The Reds admitted they do not practice bunting very often. So try again. HR isnt the only thing Edwin could do that would be good.

Fairfield is ranked 11th in the city right now and should end the year in the top 5. Their coach said he would have had Edwin swing away and if he really wanted to bunt he would have been intelligent enough to pinch hit. You dont bunt when you are down 2 and your best hitter with RISP is up AND the people behind him are not very good.

Your just not going to get it.

Coach was quoted on TV saying the reds Have bunting drills EVERYDAY! I dont care what your stupid ass fairfield coach says.

Edwin was/is Very cold right now. Your going to tell a guy in a slump to swing away in that situation with the tieing runs on first and second. YOU NEED THOSE RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION>

BTW proof even more that your being an idiot. Asking a highschool coach is foking stupid. Highschool baseball is A LOT different than the majors. Batting avgs are higher. Chance of wild pitches are much higher, canche of error with the ball in play are higher. Your chances of scoring in Highschool are much better. So yeah he might say swing away.

Much different in the majors.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='649236' date='Apr 4 2008, 08:34 PM']go look at the stats of edwin with RISP throughout his career. even in his slumps he hit decent with RISP.

i played baseball from age 5 to 19. T-ball then Knothole, AABC and on.

The Reds admitted they do not practice bunting very often. So try again. HR isnt the only thing Edwin could do that would be good.

Fairfield is ranked 11th in the city right now and should end the year in the top 5. Their coach said he would have had Edwin swing away and if he really wanted to bunt he would have been intelligent enough to pinch hit. You dont bunt when you are down 2 and your best hitter with RISP is up AND the people behind him are not very good.[/quote]

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649324' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:23 AM']Your just not going to get it.

Coach was quoted on TV saying the reds Have bunting drills EVERYDAY![b] I dont care what your stupid ass fairfield coach says.[/b]

Edwin was/is Very cold right now. Your going to tell a guy in a slump to swing away in that situation with the tieing runs on first and second. YOU NEED THOSE RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION>
[b]
BTW proof even more that your being an idiot. Asking a highschool coach is foking stupid. Highschool baseball is A LOT different than the majors. Batting avgs are higher. Chance of wild pitches are much higher, canche of error with the ball in play are higher. Your chances of scoring in Highschool are much better. So yeah he might say swing away. [/b]

Much different in the majors.[/quote]

he said nothing about what the reds did. nice job being a total prick instead of trying to discuss.

we were discussing it at lunch. i didnt ask for his opinion. although a sub that works in the district used to work in the minor leagues agreed that you either pinch hit with Edwin or u have Edwin swing away.

How is Edwin very cold right? His OBP is .438. His avg is only .182, but if he gets a walk in that circumstance it is EVEN better than a bunt. A guy is only cold if he cannot get on base. Even when he was struggling last year he was still hitting with RISP.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='649343' date='Apr 5 2008, 11:07 AM']he said nothing about what the reds did. nice job being a total prick instead of trying to discuss.

we were discussing it at lunch. i didnt ask for his opinion. although a sub that works in the district used to work in the minor leagues agreed that you either pinch hit with Edwin or u have Edwin swing away.

How is Edwin very cold right? His OBP is .438. His avg is only .182, but if he gets a walk in that circumstance it is EVEN better than a bunt. A guy is only cold if he cannot get on base. Even when he was struggling last year he was still hitting with RISP.[/quote]

Yea edwin was on fire and swinging the bat really well. :rolleyes:

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649324' date='Apr 5 2008, 09:23 AM']Your just not going to get it.

Coach was quoted on TV saying the reds Have bunting drills EVERYDAY! I dont care what your stupid ass fairfield coach says.

BTW proof even more that your being an idiot. Asking a highschool coach is foking stupid. Highschool baseball is A LOT different than the majors. Batting avgs are higher. Chance of wild pitches are much higher, canche of error with the ball in play are higher. Your chances of scoring in Highschool are much better. So yeah he might say swing away.

Much different in the majors.[/quote]

I guess the fact of Dusty saying he made a mistake doesn't mean anything...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='649391' date='Apr 5 2008, 03:49 PM']a lot more than spellings have done that. :lol:[/quote]

Ohhh hahahaha^

Hey smart shit.

Guess what won the reds the game today in the ninth inning!? ?

BUNTING!!!!!

But yeah. Who needs to fucking bunt. :rolleyes:

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649394' date='Apr 5 2008, 02:53 PM']Ohhh hahahaha^

Hey smart shit.

[b]Guess what won the reds the game today in the ninth inning!? ? [/b]

BUNTING!!!!!

But yeah. Who needs to fucking bunt. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Both Dunn and Encarnacion walking, then Hopper bunting them to 2nd and 3rd, then Bako hitting the game winning single.

[quote name='CTA513' post='649397' date='Apr 5 2008, 03:59 PM']Both Dunn and Encarnacion walking, then Hopper bunting them to 2nd and 3rd, then Bako hitting the game winning single.[/quote]

Right. There are lot more ways to score from second and third!

[quote name='Lucid' post='649419' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:53 PM']Hopper and Edwin are as about as different as two baseball players could possibly be, in skill set, approach, and attitude.[/quote]

And who said they were the same.?

The entire team should be able to put a freaking bunt down. Same maybe be better at it than others and because of speed and excess skill be able to bunt for hits at times(hopper)

but doesnt change the situation from a bunting to a non.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649433' date='Apr 5 2008, 05:31 PM']And who said they were the same.?

[b]The entire team should be able to put a freaking bunt down.[/b] Same maybe be better at it than others and because of speed and excess skill be able to bunt for hits at times(hopper)

but doesnt change the situation from a bunting to a non.[/quote]

This is probably true, but it's not reality. Reality dictates that a manager consider the ENTIRE situation when determining a strategy. And that inlcudes the ability and mindset of the players involved.

It's not just playing percentages and sample size. It's also putting your players in the position to succeed, and getting the most out of what you have to work with.

You can argue that Edwin should be able to be relied apon to perform the bunt in that situation.. And it's true. But Edwin is who Edwin is. Whether to have him swing away or play it by the book is not as cut and dry as you are trying to make it.

Your jumping int he argument a little too late. ^^^

What Thurman munster was trying to say is there is no way Edwin should have been bunting. Later he also said Bunting in general is completely retarded unless the batter is a pitcher.

I agree. There are so called "gut calls"

Edwin needs to be able to put a bunt down. This isnt little league. This guy does this for a living and is unable to put a bunt down.

Thats like a carpenter having trouble building a shelf. One of the easiest things to do in carpentry. But he has trouble. Does that make sense to you?

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649445' date='Apr 5 2008, 05:45 PM']Your jumping int he argument a little too late. ^^^

What Thurman munster was trying to say is there is no way Edwin should have been bunting. Later he also said Bunting in general is completely retarded unless the batter is a pitcher.

Edwin needs to be able to put a bunt down. This isnt little league. This guy does this for a living and is unable to put a bunt down.

Thats like a carpenter having trouble building a shelf. One of the easiest things to do in carpentry. But he has trouble. Does that make sense to you?[/quote]

Actually I read the entire thread. And I don't remember anyone saying that bunting was stupid except for pitchers, could you quote that for me please?

And to the point, saying that Edwin should be able to bunt, and Dusty should have called it are two entirely different things.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649399' date='Apr 5 2008, 03:04 PM']Right. There are lot more ways to score from second and third![/quote]

There was also 0 outs and only 1 run was needed which made a big difference. A sac fly would have done it. In the game the other day it would have REQUIRED a hit to the gap to score 2 and tie the game.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='649445' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:45 PM']Your jumping int he argument a little too late. ^^^

What Thurman munster was trying to say is there is no way Edwin should have been bunting. [b]Later he also said Bunting in general is completely retarded unless the batter is a pitcher. [/b]

Thats like a carpenter having trouble building a shelf. One of the easiest things to do in carpentry. But he has trouble. Does that make sense to you?[/quote]

I never said that you stupid little fuck. Please show me where I said that. I said if Dusty wanted to bunt in that situation then he should have pinch hit for Edwin. When your BEST hitter with RISP is up you dont bunt. It is that fucking simple. That wont change either. Griffey wouldnt have bunted in that situation and EE is a hell of a lot better hitter with RISP than Griffey.

I dont see you blasting Harang and he fucked up 2 bunts....

Bunting isnt easy. I hit over 400 every year of my Knothole and AABC career and bunting was BY FAR the hardest thing to do at the plate. I could hit the ball to opposite field if i wanted to or up the middle or pull it. Those were all far easier than bunting the ball.

Archived