NBA Draft Poll

Who Goes First?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. If both players come out, who is the #1 pick in the NBA draft?

• Tyler Hansboro
    • Michael Beasley
    • Other - indicate who below

[quote name='Jason' post='649889' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:57 PM']Why do you say that?[/quote]
He is 22-23 right now and he is probably really only around 6'8. He won't be able to dominate NBA 5's the way he does in college. He isn't very good defensivly. I would say he is a top twenty pick. No way he goes #1. He doesn't even sniff number one.

[quote name='Jason' post='649889' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:57 PM']Why do you say that?[/quote]
Just saw your reply and others have answered as well (although I think there is a little Duke blue glasses on when they say it!) but here goes...

Hansborough has decent talent but A LOT of his game is just grit and want-to. That works fine in college where he's on a roster of about 5-7 other McDonald's all americans and they can out-talent most teams. When he goes to the NBA he'll be playing against a 5 that will be taller, quicker, and quite probably be able to shoot from the outside and take him off the dribble as well. Grit and want-to doesn't get you shit in the NBA, college its great, but up there every guy has loads of talent and that'll win out over want-to. Especially when you start to talk about big men. I don't see him dropping into the 20's if for no other reason than he won all the player of the year awards this year. I'd guess he'll be somewhere around 12-15, just because of name.

As an aside, I think it funny that Tennessee's Tyler Smith is being told he's a 15-18 pick... he's a good player but needs to come back for another to really develop a good 15-17 foot shoot. He'll be lucky to get drafted at all this year. I hope he decides to stay another year.

I think Rose or Beasley go #1 if they come out. I don't see Hansbrough being drafted till the late 1st round / 2nd. As others have mentioned, he's just grit. Not athletic enough to wow, doesn't have the skills to take people off the dribble, and his post up game while dominant in college, will not be nearly as effective in the pro's. He might be able to make it in the pro's as a high energy sub. I find his game pretty similar to Kris Humphries, who was also a Naismith finalist and is now with my Raps. Although Hansbrough does have a much higher basketball iq

Got a bet with a co-worker who's a UNC fan that Tyler doesn't even approach Big Country Reeves' career stats (12 ppg, 7 rpg)

Stupid bet for the guy to make, for one Reeves got a lot of playing time being on an expansion franchise. Doubt Hansbrough gets it. Oh well, money in my pocket down the line....

Somebody is living in North Carolina, aren't they? :ph34r:

Just kidding - I actually took your query as legitimate curiosity, although I would imagine that Tyler (or Hansbrough, I guess) is probably a pretty popular name for baby boys about now in your neck of the woods.

Like Vol said, Hansbrough's game is effort over talent and projects as a poor man's Christian Leittner (sp?).

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='650247' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:59 PM']Somebody is living in North Carolina, aren't they? :ph34r:

Just kidding - I actually took your query as legitimate curiosity, although I would imagine that Tyler (or Hansbrough, I guess) is probably a pretty popular name for baby boys about now in your neck of the woods.

Like Vol said, Hansbrough's game is effort over talent and projects as a poor man's [b]Christian Leittner [/b](sp?).[/quote]

he was taller and stronger and a better passer. Hansbroughs game doesnt translate to the nba at all.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650292' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:58 PM']he was taller and stronger and a better passer. Hansbroughs game doesnt translate to the nba at all.[/quote]
There is no way in hell Christian Leattner was stronger than Tyler Hansborough...

Taller, better passer, better outside game I'll give you. But, Laettner was a finesse player while Hansborough is a bruiser.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='650440' date='Apr 9 2008, 06:51 AM']There is no way in hell Christian Leattner was stronger than Tyler Hansborough...

Taller, better passer, better outside game I'll give you. But, Laettner was a finesse player while Hansborough is a bruiser.[/quote]
laettner was a beast. he was definitely stronger than hansbrough. hansbrough isnt very strong. most of his shit are homo shots away from the hoop or OPEN put backs.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='650247' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:59 PM']Somebody is living in North Carolina, aren't they? :ph34r:

Like Vol said, Hansbrough's game is effort over talent and projects as a poor man's Christian Leittner (sp?).[/quote]

Yeah, I live in NC, but I'm not a UNC fan. Never have been, and never will be (unless I have a kid who plays there someday). But I have seen him play, and he didn't strike me as a bad player, and he's winning player of the year awards left and right.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650579' date='Apr 9 2008, 02:26 PM']laettner was a beast. [b]he was definitely stronger than hansbrough[/b]. hansbrough isnt very strong. most of his shit are homo shots away from the hoop or OPEN put backs.[/quote]
Take your Duke glasses off...

Laettner was anything but a beast - good gawd, you've got to be kidding. Laettner's game was finesse, plain and simple. He was never going to bang on someone for a full game - he just didn't do it.

As a senior Laettner was 6-11, 225.

Hansbrough is 6-9 250 (some reports have him at 245). But, either way he's 2 inches shorter and at least 20 pounds heavier...

I'm not going to go through the process of posting a picture of Laettner and Hansbrough... but, suffice it to say, Laettner's arms look like toothpicks.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='650835' date='Apr 10 2008, 08:15 AM']Take your Duke glasses off...

Laettner was anything but a beast - good gawd, you've got to be kidding. Laettner's game was finesse, plain and simple. He was never going to bang on someone for a full game - he just didn't do it.

Hansbrough is 6-9 250 (some reports have him at 245). But, either way he's 2 inches shorter and at least 20 pounds heavier...

I'm not going to go through the process of posting a picture of Laettner and Hansbrough... but, suffice it to say, Laettner's arms look like toothpicks.[/quote]
last time i checked. strength isnt measured by pictures.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651033' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:22 PM']last time i checked. strength isnt measured by pictures.[/quote]
No, but muscle weighs more than fat does...

So, Laettner is 2 inches taller, yet 20-25 pounds lighter. He has less muscle mass...

Do you get it yet? I didn't know which was easier for you, deducing it or having a picture drawn for you. You can look at both guys' builds and it is pretty damn obvious that Hansbrough is thicker - in the body, arms, and legs...

But, whatever, I can't believe I'm even debating with someone that is even arguing that Christian Laettner is a "beast" or is stronger than anyone. I was a Duke fan when Laettner was there and even I thought the guy looked like a puss.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='651038' date='Apr 10 2008, 02:32 PM']No, but muscle weighs more than fat does...

So, Laettner is 2 inches taller, yet 20-25 pounds lighter. He has less muscle mass...

Do you get it yet? I didn't know which was easier for you, deducing it or having a picture drawn for you. You can look at both guys' builds and it is pretty damn obvious that Hansbrough is thicker - in the body, arms, and legs...

But, whatever, I can't believe I'm even debating with someone that is even arguing that Christian Laettner is a "beast" or is stronger than anyone. I was a Duke fan when Laettner was there and even I thought the guy looked like a puss.[/quote]
hansbrough is a puss. have u watched him play? he has NO TONE what so ever either. its not like his body is just full of muscle. i wonder if i can get a hold of weight lifting info. id bet money on it that laettner was stronger than hansbrough.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='651070' date='Apr 10 2008, 04:28 PM']hansbrough is a puss. have u watched him play? he has NO TONE what so ever either. its not like his body is just full of muscle. i wonder if i can get a hold of weight lifting info. id bet money on it that laettner was stronger than hansbrough.[/quote]
How much would you like to bet? Because I'd be all for that bet...

How old were you when Laettner played? Because if you think Hansbrough has no tone you'd think Laettner looked like a girl.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='650835' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:15 PM']Take your Duke glasses off...

[b]Laettner was anything but a beast - good gawd, you've got to be kidding. Laettner's game was finesse, plain and simple. He was never going to bang on someone for a full game - he just didn't do it.[/b]

I'm not going to go through the process of posting a picture of Laettner and Hansbrough... but, suffice it to say, Laettner's arms look like toothpicks.[/quote]
x2. And I was a fan of those Duke squads...

Don't know shit about the kid from UNC. Except he's a douche for going to UNC. B)

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='654245' date='Apr 19 2008, 06:38 PM']Don't know shit about the kid from UNC. Except he's a douche for going to UNC. B)[/quote]
Aren't they all! ^_^

Archived