The Reds early TEST of 08'

bgwilly31

When i first got the schedule i was ticked about the tough early schedule we had to face.

First off two defending division champs in the D-bags and Phillies. And the first road trip against all NL central rivals. This road trip is big Time Momentum builder or crusher!

This Cueto Start is huge!

And finally a short story from reds.com on the subject.

[b]Reds face big road test[/b]

[quote]It's the second week of the regular season as the Reds make their first road trip. But to manager Dusty Baker, it's not too early to place importance on the outcome.
On the Reds' 10-day, nine-game trip, all three series are against National League Central Division rivals. It will begin on Tuesday with three games vs. the Brewers, followed by three games each against the Pirates and Cubs.

"It's a big road trip, a huge road trip coming up," Baker said. "It's all in our division with tough teams and tough teams that play at home."

"Every game counts," infielder Jeff Keppinger said. "Every game, you want to win."

The Reds finished their first homestand with a 4-3 record against the Diamondbacks and Phillies, two out-of-division opponents.

This will be an early test for Cincinnati to see how it stacks up. Most predictions have the Cubs and Brewers finishing 1-2 in the division, respectively.

"I look at it as a chance for us to gain ground and not lose ground," Baker said. "You can make it up quick or you can lose it quick. I'm not into making statements. I'm trying to figure out a way to win as many games as we can win. It's not like you're going to sneak up on anybody anymore, not with scouting reports and TV and magazines and newspapers."

Milwaukee will undoubtedly rely heavily on scouting when it faces Reds rookie Johnny Cueto on Tuesday. In his big league debut on Thursday vs. the D-backs, Cueto retired 21 of his 22 batters over seven innings with 10 strikeouts. The only blemish all day was a Justin Upton homer in the sixth inning.

Baker didn't expect any pressure to fall on Cueto in trying to follow up strong in outing No. 2.

"It's another start. The last start means nothing now," Baker said.

Pitching matchup
CIN: RHP Johnny Cueto (1-0, 1.29 ERA)
Cueto did not walk any batters, nor did he even reach a three-ball count at any time vs. the D-backs on Thursday. The right-hander blew hitters away with a fastball that ran inside, often at 96 mph. He also showed effective command of his hard slider and changeup.

MIL: RHP Jeff Suppan (1-0, 2.84 ERA)
Suppan got off to a nice start against the Cubs on Thursday, holding Chicago to a pair of solo home runs in 6 1/3 innings. Now he returns home to Miller Park, where he was 9-3 last season with a 3.87 ERA versus 3-9 with a 5.38 ERA on the road. Suppan also continued a trend of starting the season sharp; his career 4.08 ERA in April was better than any other month.

Tidbits
The Reds' pitching staff has 62 strikeouts, which is tops in the Major Leagues. ... Last season, the Reds had a 33-48 record on the road and a 7-17-2 series record. Going back to the 2006 season, they've had one winning record over their last 16 road trips.[/quote]

Pitts. We should handle at least 2-out of 3.
brewers are a big test. We've got 6 games. If we could beat them 4-out of 6. :D
And the cubs. F-the cubs. Hopefully dusty can put it to his old team. sweep the CUBS.
9-3 record for the next 12! Think we can do it B)

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650295' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:03 PM']Take 2 from Pitt, split with Brewers, and take 2 from Cubs. A 7-5 road trip would be great for us.[/quote]

I would take that. Hope for better. But hope thats worst case scenario.

I'm not pissed about having a tough schedule early or whenever. I like the fact that we have emerged from 7 games against two good teams with a 4-3 record. If you extrapolate that out over the course of the season, that's enough to get into the playoffs in the NL Central.
GO REDS!
I would absolutely love to sweep the Brewers. The funny thing to me is this: the last few seasons, the Reds have fared pretty well against the better teams. It's the piling up of losses against teams like the Pirates that we **should beat regularly on paper** that is infuriating.
That and not being able to hold leads have sunk the Reds since Danny graves was considered "good".
It appears we have addressed the latter with Cordero, it remains to be seen if we "play down" to the level of our competition as the season wears on.
The Brewers are pretty damn good, it should be a good yardstick to judge ourselves by, starting tonight with Cueto (please let the honeymoon continue!).

reds just got screwed in the 7th. Patterson stole 2nd base with good ol' kepp at the plate. But they called him out. No doubt he was safe.

Hopefully cueti gets it done one more inning and kepp griff and dunn get something going.

Fuck nm cueti continues to give up at least one hr a game.

votto 2 for 2 for the night. I'm not sure I agree with pinch hitting hopper in a bases loaded situation. Reds just can't seem to string any freakin hits together.

Oh btw I'm sure we will get to see the swing for fences valentine come up in the 9th. Let's hope its that 6% of the time he might actually jack one.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='650403' date='Apr 8 2008, 10:33 PM']why leave in weathers in the 10th instead of bringing in you multi million dollar closer. WTF[/quote]
did u see the offensive output in that game? weathers put the brewers down 1-2-3 in like 8 pitches the inning prior. this game looked like it had 14 innings written all over it. you save Coco for later in the game.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650402' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:31 PM']adam dunn is a joke. his pathetic defense costs us antoher game in his career. anyone on this message board could have fielded that ball in LF.[/quote]

I call bullshit.

I didn't see the play, but I can guaran-fuckin'-tee you that my old, out of shape ass wouldn't have caught that ball.

^_^

two things I didn't like about the 10th inning:

1) Why wasn't Cordero brought in at the very least when the leadoff batter reached?

2) With first and third with 1 out, why wasn't meeks walked to create a force out at every base? I know its typically done with 2 outs, but it creates a force out at home.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650407' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:13 AM']did u see the offensive output in that game? weathers put the brewers down 1-2-3 in like 8 pitches the inning prior. this game looked like it had 14 innings written all over it. you save Coco for later in the game.[/quote]

You continue to prove your not that baseball smart. THERE IS NO DOUBT CORDERO SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME> You dont know that theres going to be a 14th inning. Your ass better make sure you even get a chance to get that far. So at the very least after the first runner reached you bring in cordero.

Also. Big deal Adam dunn had a hard time fielding a short hop. Wasnt it EE that missed an relatively easy ground ball to put the run on the bases in the first place. Why dont you point the finger there. The game should not be blamed on anything defense. We need to hit the dayum ball when it counts! Period. 1 run shouldnt matter, you shouldnt be getting beat when your defense only allows 2 runs.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='650466' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:11 AM']two things I didn't like about the 10th inning:

1) Why wasn't Cordero brought in at the very least when the leadoff batter reached?

2) With first and third with 1 out, why wasn't meeks walked to create a force out at every base? I know its typically done with 2 outs, but it creates a force out at home.[/quote]

I absolutely AGREE with both. That was a missed call, and it should have absolutely been called. Not only does it create the force out but it enables you to back the middle infield up and put them in dble play position.

And ive already expressed my cordero concern.

This is definitely not a good start for our confidence.

And now with FOGG due to start tonight. i dont see us being able to turn anything around unless our bats get hot!

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='650508' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:33 AM']You continue to prove your not that baseball smart. THERE IS NO DOUBT CORDERO SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE GAME> You dont know that theres going to be a 14th inning. Your ass better make sure you even get a chance to get that far. So at the very least after the first runner reached you bring in cordero.

Also. Big deal Adam dunn had a hard time fielding a short hop. Wasnt it EE that missed an relatively easy ground ball to put the run on the bases in the first place. Why dont you point the finger there. The game should not be blamed on anything defense. We need to hit the dayum ball when it counts! Period. 1 run shouldnt matter, you shouldnt be getting beat when your defense only allows 2 runs.[/quote]

EE was playing pretty far in and make a quick stab for the ball. I was surprised he got his glove on it. Dunns fuck up was a basic EVERYDAY ball that anyone could field. Our bats carry us at times and at other times they dont. Yesterday the team would have won if Dunn didnt fuck up a BASIC play.

And they were saving Cordero for a SAVING situation.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650583' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:30 PM']EE was playing pretty far in and make a quick stab for the ball. I was surprised he got his glove on it. Dunns fuck up was a basic EVERYDAY ball that anyone could field. Our bats carry us at times and at other times they dont. Yesterday the team would have won if Dunn didnt fuck up a BASIC play.

And they were saving Cordero for a SAVING situation.[/quote]

Your not worth talking to anymore.

Did you even see the ground ball to EE? He was playing normal 3rd base position. In the dirt. How many times do you think that ball bounced before it got to EE? It was half dive in between ball. Not sure if he should dive or stay on his feet. Of course his ass should have gotten at least his glove on it. I gauruntee you! 120% you ask EE seriously if hit that ball 10x He tells you i make it clean and easy 9X out of the 10.

Either way to blame the game on missed groundball. Short hop in the outfield. And on top of that call Throwing somebody out from the outfield a basic play.

All adds up to me Just not responding to you anymore. You seriously like to talk out your ass.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='650590' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:00 PM']Your not worth talking to anymore.

Did you even see the ground ball to EE? He was playing normal 3rd base position. In the dirt. How many times do you think that ball bounced before it got to EE? It was half dive in between ball. Not sure if he should dive or stay on his feet. Of course his ass should have gotten at least his glove on it. I gauruntee you! 120% you ask EE seriously if hit that ball 10x He tells you i make it clean and easy 9X out of the 10.
[b]
Either way to blame the game on missed groundball. Short hop in the outfield. And on top of that call Throwing somebody out from the outfield a basic play.
[/b]
All adds up to me Just not responding to you anymore. You seriously like to talk out your ass.[/quote]
WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU FUCKING SMOKING. If Dunn doesnt bobble the ball they dont send the guy home. THE ONLY REASON THE GUY WENT HOME WAS BECAUSE DUNN COULDNT HANDLE IT. HE DIDNT HAVE TO THROW ANYONE OUT. DO YOU WATCH THE FUCKING GAME?

EE didnt dive. He reached down for it and he did get his glove on it. Thats why it went straight to Keppinger. The ball doesnt go past EE then take a sharp right turn to SS on its own. And EE wasnt on the dirt. He was 1 step in on the grass and went back and towards 2nd on contact. Obviously you didnt watch it because you said EE dove and he didnt. You are the one talking out of your ass.

Oh yeah, please dont talk to me anymore. You make no sense and just say things to say things.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='650608' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:43 PM'][b]Everything i say i can back up with facts and proof.[/b] Not the same for the two of you.[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='650614' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:52 PM']WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU FUCKING SMOKING. If Dunn doesnt bobble the ball they dont send the guy home. THE ONLY REASON THE GUY WENT HOME WAS BECAUSE DUNN COULDNT HANDLE IT. HE DIDNT HAVE TO THROW ANYONE OUT. DO YOU WATCH THE FUCKING GAME?

EE didnt dive. He reached down for it and he did get his glove on it. Thats why it went straight to Keppinger. The ball doesnt go past EE then take a sharp right turn to SS on its own. And EE wasnt on the dirt. He was 1 step in on the grass and went back and towards 2nd on contact. Obviously you didnt watch it because you said EE dove and he didnt. You are the one talking out of your ass.

Oh yeah, please dont talk to me anymore. You make no sense and just say things to say things.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Everything you just said is absolutely wrong.

If other people that actually watched the game would chime in they would tell you as well. Even marty said and talked about the genral rule is If your runner hasnt gotten to the bag before the outfielder gets to the ball then you DONT send him. Doesnt mean they wont or they will. Its up to the third base coach.

That third base coach was waving that guy around the entire time. It was a big run and they were going to take that chance, it was obvious. Marty said it would have been close if DUNN would have been able to get a throw off because of how close in he already was. They also talked about the same rule again. When the hit went to griffeys side and they held the runner up. Two compltely different hits.

The one to DUNN. Softly hit line drive. Dunn not so great of arm. The one to griff. HARD hit line drive. Girff got there fast and has a great arm. Obvsiouly they hold him on the ball to griff.

120% sure on that. If normal sain people that watched the game as well would chime in they would tell you the same.

As for EE. Im not positive but pretty sure he fell after the fact. Which would be called a half dive. When a player is confronted with a inbetween ball. Not sure if he needs to dive or if he can just reach for it. Either way HE SHOULD HAVE FIELDED that ball every time. He would tell you the exact same thing.

So mr.thurman watching the game here and guess what. Top 2nd 0 outs man on 1st and 2nd kepp at the plate. Kepp being arguably our hottest hitter. But guess what sign he had on the first pitch at least.

I'll help you. It was a sac bunt. Can u believe that.

Btw bphillips rocks.!!!! 2-0 reds

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='650703' date='Apr 9 2008, 07:32 PM']So mr.thurman watching the game here and guess what. Top 2nd 0 outs man on 1st and 2nd kepp at the plate. Kepp being arguably our hottest hitter. But guess what sign he had on the first pitch at least.

I'll help you. It was a sac bunt. Can u believe that.

Btw bphillips rocks.!!!! 2-0 reds[/quote]

and our best hitter didn't get the bunt down. We should cut him.

Archived