NHL playoffs

The NHL playoffs are going on and it is one of best playoffs in all of pro sports and yet no one seems to know its going on. I would like to know why since ESPN dropped covering hockey it is treated like cricket in the US? I mean I was looking on the front page to see the Pens score since it wasnt on in my area but I instead get to see that Joe Paterno is going into another season as the coach of Penn State. No shit I had no idea that old ass fucker is still coaching. To top if all of you cant even get an update on their news story section because Joba has to see his ailing dad. Yeah that is much more important than covering sports like you used to be able to do.

There are 3 playoff games going on tonight two are done including the darling Red Wings but they cant sniff the front page? ESPN has long ago became a joke of what they were but this just struck a nerve with me tonight.

end rant

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='652162' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:05 PM']The NHL playoffs are going on and it is one of best playoffs in all of pro sports and yet no one seems to know its going on. I would like to know why since ESPN dropped covering hockey it is treated like cricket in the US? I mean I was looking on the front page to see the Pens score since it wasnt on in my area but I instead get to see that Joe Paterno is going into another season as the coach of Penn State. No shit I had no idea that old ass fucker is still coaching. To top if all of you cant even get an update on their news story section because Joba has to see his ailing dad. Yeah that is much more important than covering sports like you used to be able to do.

There are 3 playoff games going on tonight two are done including the darling Red Wings but they cant sniff the front page? ESPN has long ago became a joke of what they were but this just struck a nerve with me tonight.

end rant[/quote]

ESPN is still mad at the NHL over the strike... They had that contract for games and espn felt screwed. thats when they started playing poker. if you notice now they dont have poker on anymore they just used it for that year when they had hockey lined up. espn has been talking contract with the nhl to bring them back so it will get back to normal in about a year or two

[quote name='Riptide' post='652736' date='Apr 16 2008, 10:24 AM']ESPN is still mad at the NHL over the strike... They had that contract for games and espn felt screwed. thats when they started playing poker. if you notice now they dont have poker on anymore they just used it for that year when they had hockey lined up. espn has been talking contract with the nhl to bring them back so it will get back to normal in about a year or two[/quote]

I can see why ESPN would be mad over the strike situation and losing programming. The fact of the matter is though that they project themselves as a total sports network. They may not like the NHL for what they did but to treat them like the red headed step child is very unprofessional. That just shows their lack of integrity to the world of sports instead of money.

This may be a dumb question but when did the Disney Co. take over ABC and ESPN? Did this make them change the way of their programming and I'm not even talking about hockey but the way they used to be able to present sports highlights instead of a 1hr show with 30 minutes directed to T.O.?

[quote name='soundstreamer' post='656749' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:07 PM']I can see why ESPN would be mad over the strike situation and losing programming. The fact of the matter is though that they project themselves as a total sports network. They may not like the NHL for what they did but to treat them like the red headed step child is very unprofessional. That just shows their lack of integrity to the world of sports instead of money.

This may be a dumb question but when did the Disney Co. take over ABC and ESPN? Did this make them change the way of their programming and I'm not even talking about hockey but the way they used to be able to present sports highlights instead of a 1hr show with 30 minutes directed to T.O.?[/quote]

Disney took over ABC and ESPN quite some years ago now. Sometime in the 90s if I remember correctly from my Disney brain washing class ( I work for the mouse =x )

I think it's because the majority of the United States simply does not care about hockey. It's a step above soccer on the sports food chain. When hockey highlights come on SportsCenter I either turn the channel or stop watching. Of course maybe it's because I'm still bitter about the Whalers. <_<

• 1 month later...
On the ESPN sucks note...

Tonight's main story - front page news, if you will - on espn.com is the failed debut of some pitcher. But of course, because he plays for the yankees, this is the single most important story in the sporting universe.

I mean, good grief. A kid lost his first start in the bigs. Really, that's news? A surprise?

Where is the full-page spread for Jay Bruce? It's sure been more than 2 innings of work now. Bruce is batting .552. You tell me, which guy making his debut is more worthy of some attention?

Fuck the yankees.

and fuck espn.

</rant>

Archived