It is not about the money with Chad

When he skips the mandatories and loses money because of it, maybe people will understand it isn't about the money.

Why does Chad want out?

Well he keeps telling us why, over and over again.

Its because he has been with the franchise long enough to realize it is a franchise that does not have the infrastructure in place to ever hope to be successful. [b]He knows if he stays in Cincinnati he will never get a ring.[/b]

So he wants out. Just like Corey did. Just like Takeo did. Just like Pickens did. Just like Lee Johnson did. Etc etc etc etc. After players have been with this franchise long enough, pretty soon they realize there is no light at the end of the tunnel here and many are prepared to do whatever it takes to get out.

Now, not all players are like this obviously. Some don't put as high of a priority on winning. Take Willie Anderson for example. He has been nothing short of the perfect company man here. Why? Because He is very very well paid and he doesn't really care about winning or losing as much as he cares about the financial aspect of it. Ask him who his role model is and he'll tell you:

Warren Buffett.

That makes Willie perfect for the Bengals. Talented, great attitude, walks the company line, and doesn't really care about the scoreboard.

Now Chad on the other hand... longtime Bengals fans should find Chad's plummet from 110% effort Chad Johnson to "Leon" Chad Johnson to be EERILY FAMILIAR. :lol:

The way I feel about Chad is the way I remember feeling about OJ. [b]I don't condone the behavior, but lets just say I understand why. As a long time Bengals fan[/b], I have always hoped they would put an infrastructure in that is conducive to winning.

Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I still cheer. But I wouldn't put any money toward them winning, I'll put it that way.

I think Chad just wants to win and that it isn't about the money. We shall see if I am right or wrong by whether he skips the mandatories or not.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653807' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:58 AM']When he skips the mandatories and loses money because of it, maybe people will understand it isn't about the money.

Why does Chad want out?

Its because he has been with the franchise long enough to realize it is a franchise that does not have the infrastructure in place to ever hope to be successful. [b]He knows if he stays in Cincinnati he will never get a ring.[/b]

So he wants out. Just like Corey did. Just like Takeo did. Just like Pickens did. Just like Lee Johnson did. Etc etc etc etc. After players have been with this franchise long enough, pretty soon they realize there is no light at the end of the tunnel here and many are prepared to do whatever it takes to get out.

Now, not all players are like this obviously. Some don't put as high of a priority on winning. Take Willie Anderson for example. He has been nothing short of the perfect company man here. Why? Because He is very very well paid and he doesn't really care about winning or losing as much as he cares about the financial aspect of it. Ask him who his role model is and he'll tell you:

Warren Buffett.

That makes Willie perfect for the Bengals. Talented, great attitude, walks the company line, and doesn't really care about the scoreboard.

Now Chad on the other hand... longtime Bengals fans should find Chad's plummet from 110% effort Chad Johnson to "Leon" Chad Johnson to be EERILY FAMILIAR. :lol:

The way I feel about Chad is the way I remember feeling about OJ. [b]I don't condone the behavior, but lets just say I understand why. As a long time Bengals fan[/b], I have always hoped they would put an infrastructure in that is conducive to winning.

Nope.

Don't get me wrong, I still cheer. But I wouldn't put any money toward them winning, I'll put it that way.

I think Chad just wants to win and that it isn't about the money. We shall see if I am right or wrong by whether he skips the mandatories or not.[/quote]

Sorry, but yuur entire premise id shot down when Chad makes comments about others pay, and says his is "embarassing" and "disrespectful", and then goes to such cities with such promising futures as Oakland, Miami and Chicago begging for a trade.

If Chad cared just about winning he wouldn't be lobbying to teams who have less chance of being in the playoffs next year thean the Bengals, and will be in solid rebuilding mode until his career is in it's twilight.

And skipping camps mean nothing. What's a few thousand dollars compared to a multi million dollar payday with a new contract?

it's not about winning, nor is it completely about money (Chad's the 2nd highest paid WR over the last two years).

It's about attention and ego. Chad thinks he's the best, but if he's not paid the highest, he thinks he's being disrespected.

I do think he wants to win, but that's not what this is about.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653807' date='Apr 18 2008, 10:58 AM']When he skips the mandatories and loses money because of it, maybe people will understand it isn't about the money.

Why does Chad want out?

Warren Buffett.

Nope.

I think Chad just wants to win and that it isn't about the money. We shall see if I am right or wrong by whether he skips the mandatories or not.[/quote]

Is that you Chad?

[quote name='Lucid' post='653813' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:03 PM']Sorry, but yuur entire premise id shot down when Chad makes comments about others pay, and says his is "embarassing" and "disrespectful", and then goes to such cities with such promising futures as Oakland, Miami and Chicago begging for a trade.

If Chad cared just about winning he wouldn't be lobbying to teams who have less chance of being in the playoffs next year thean the Bengals, and will be in solid rebuilding mode until his career is in it's twilight.[/quote]

You seem like a bright fellow. If the bet was "who will make the playoffs first: Bengals, Raiders, Dolphins, or Bears" you are telling me your money is on the Bengals? :mellow:

[quote]And skipping camps mean nothing. What's a few thousand dollars compared to a multi million dollar payday with a new contract?[/quote]

We shall see. I still say Chad just wants a ring, and he doesn't think it will happen while he is in "stripes." Chad wants out of "NFL Jail," plain and simple. That's a joke among players in the NFL by the way. If you get traded or drafted to the Bengals, you "gotta wear the stripes" AKA "jail."

Thats what 1 playoff trip in 17 years will get you, so I don't know why anyone here is surprised.

It is what is is, as they say. A crappy but financially viable product.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='653816' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:07 PM']Yay another chad thread!

[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=41803"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=41803[/url]

Guess you think so highly of yourself that you feel you deserve your own thread![/quote]

Ahh the Thread Police. Emeril called and wants to know if you are related at all to the Chicken Police. Those guys suck ass too. :P

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653820' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:13 PM']You seem like a bright fellow. If the bet was "who will make the playoffs first: Bengals, Raiders, Dolphins, or Bears" you are telling me your money is on the Bengals? :mellow:[/quote]

Well they have been to the playoffs more recently than 2 of those teams, and Chicago is solidly in meltdown mode (much worse than we are).

Yes, I would make that bet.

[quote name='Lucid' post='653824' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:16 PM']Well they have been to the playoffs more recently than 2 of those teams, and Chicago is solidly in meltdown mode (much worse than we are).[/quote]

When was the last time there was a Bears, Dolphins or Raiders joke on Leno?

...exactly.

[quote]Yes, I would make that bet.[/quote]

Well I hope the missus doesn't let you keep the checkbook, I'll put it that way. :D

I don't think Chad wants to win.

1 - He will NOT block for others to help advance the ball.

2 - When he is intercepted, he sits on his butt and cries instead of trying to tackle the other player.

3 - Instead of encouraging his QB when they have a problem running routes, he complains.

4 - He yells at his teammates.

5 - He won't show up for big games (Steelers)

[quote name='Rick' post='653827' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:19 PM']I don't think Chad wants to win.[/quote]

I disagree. I think his bloated ego wants a ring in the worst way.

[quote]1 - He will NOT block for others to help advance the ball.

2 - When he is intercepted, he sits on his butt and cries instead of trying to tackle the other player.

3 - Instead of encouraging his QB when they have a problem running routes, he complains.

4 - He yells at his teammates.

5 - He won't show up for big games (Steelers)[/quote]

Agreed 100 percent.

Not sure where you are going with this though in the confines of this discussion.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653826' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:18 PM']When was the last time there was a Bears, Dolphins or Raiders joke on Leno?

...exactly.

Well I hope the missus doesn't let you keep the checkbook, I'll put it that way. :D[/quote]

Sorry, but the 90's are not a good indicator of the capacity of this team.

And I'm assuming if I would have asked you to make that same bet (Bengals going to playoffs) in 2004, it would have been your check-book that needed guarding.

It's possible you may be right, but personally I think you have a loser mentality, like most of the people in this city...

Personally I don't support losers, or losing endeavers. If I felt that were the case here I sure as hell wouldn't be spending time on a Bengals fan board. Apparantly that is not the case with you.

I call that being a loser.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653828' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:21 AM']I disagree. I think his bloated ego wants a ring in the worst way.

Agreed 100 percent.

Not sure where you are going with this though in the confines of this discussion.[/quote]

I think the point he's trying to is that if Chad wanted to win that badly why doesnt he do the "little things" to help make his game and the teams chacnes of winning greater... blocking. running after the catch or inbounds encouraging instead of whining...all the things that propell a team to greater things ....

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653820' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:13 PM']You seem like a bright fellow. If the bet was "who will make the playoffs first: Bengals, Raiders, Dolphins, or Bears" you are telling me your money is on the Bengals? :mellow:[/quote]

Let's flip it around then. You're so confident they won't which means you'd put your money on the Dolphins going before Cincy or the Raiders going before Cincy??? And, the Bears are falling apart - that is at best a 50/50 proposition.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653828' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:21 PM']Agreed 100 percent.

Not sure where you are going with this though in the confines of this discussion.[/quote]

Well, you're premise of this topic is that Chad isn't doing this for the money, but to be on a winner... the items you just stated [i]"aren't relevant to the confines of this discussion"[/i] help you, you know... win.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653826' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:18 PM']When was the last time there was a Bears, Dolphins or Raiders joke on Leno?

...exactly.[/quote]

Last December when the Dolphins almost had the first winless season in forever?

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653826' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:18 AM']When was the last time there was a Bears, Dolphins or Raiders joke on Leno?

...exactly.[/quote]

You really are clueless aren't you. The Dolphins were taking it from every direction last year. And EVERYONE in the NFL says that Al Davis is crazy. No one with any brains would say that eiother of thse teams is closer to winning than the Bengals.

Also the comparisons to Takeo, Dillon, Pickens and the rest are pointless. The Bengals of today can not be compared to the teams they played for. We have a winning record since Marvin has arrived and are only two seasons removed from a division title. In '06 we played the 2nd toughest schedule in the league, lost more starters for more games than any team in the league, and still just missed the playoffs because the league's most accurate active kicker couldn't hit an XP or a chip shot FG in the final seconds of our last two games.

The Bengals are much closer to winning than Many of the teams that Chad wants to be traded to.

First Chad went on his little tirade because of the trade rumors,
and because no one had his back. Which was all bullshit. And none
of it was ever true.

Now all of a sudden he wants to play for a winner ?
And doesn`t think it will happen here ? Whatever. That`s horseshit.
He has signed 3 contracts to play for this team in 7 years.
The last one was just 2 seasons ago. Yet, all of a sudden
out of the blue, he has lost faith in this team ? And would
like to go other places and play, even though they had
as much success or less, as we did this season ?

He has said he would play for the Dolphins, who won 1 game this season,
has no QB, just hired another HC, and is firmly in rebuilding mode.

He said he would play for the Panthers and Bears, who both
won as many games as we did. Not to mention an Arena team.

Does that really sound like all he wants is to win to anyone ?

Chad bitched and whined for a new contract, and was given a new contract,
when he still had 4 years left on his old contract. And right after he
signed that new contract, that he and Rosenhaus were sooooo happy with,
the NFL got a new CBA in place that said more money would go to the players.
Chad now wants to get in on it.

Let`s get something straight, I love Chad.
I hope he retires a Bengal.
But the rumor that he was so tore up over, was cleared up 2 days after it was reported.
When Chad first heard about it, he himself said it didn`t bother him.
And that Marvin told him to not worry about the outside. It was us against the World.

He said that no one has his back. But Marvin, TJ, Carson, Mike Brown,
and a host of others, came to his defense. So that`s bullshit too.

Quotes from Chad on October 22nd, right after Mortensen`s report
of a trade . . .

[quote]"You know me," Johnson said. "[b]So there's no need to pay that any attention.[/b] It's the nature of the beast. When you're against me, you add fuel to my fire."

Johnson said head coach Marvin Lewis delivered an uplifting message after the game.

"It was a very positive speech," Johnson said. "[b]He said, 'It's us against the world. We can't worry about anything happening on the outside. All we have is each other.[/b]' "[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2007/10/22/ddn102207bennotes.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...07bennotes.html[/url]

Quote from Chris Mortensen on October 24th 2007 . . .

[quote]ESPN's Chris Mortensen doesn't think his report citing a prominent Bengals source on Sunday regarding Chad Johnson was misquoted, but he does think it was misinterpreted.

"There were two parts to it," Mortensen said Wednesday. "The first part dealt with the source saying that because of Chad's passion and pride, they have to figure out a way to deal with him. The second part was my analysis that the discussions could bring them to a crossroads and that could involve a trade. [size=3][b]At no time did a Bengals source tell me they could possibly trade him." [/b][/size][/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6386"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6386[/url]

Quote from Mike Brown on November 4th 2007 . . .

[quote]"[b]He isn't going anywhere[/b]," Brown said of Johnson. "Chad Johnson is a tremendous football player. We're glad he's here. He's an integral part of what we do."

The trade story has since been doused by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who said his top Bengals source never mentioned trading Johnson. And Brown threw more cold water on it, disputing the notion that Johnson's behavior outweighs his talent.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6416"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6416[/url]

If I know that, and can find it, why can`t he or his Agent ?
So the rumor lasted 2 days. Yet Chad still seems to think
there was some truth to it, when there never was.

Carson was on ESPN Radio`s Mike & Mike in the Morning
back on January 3rd, Carson then said he hopes Chad is back,
and that he hopes he works out any contract disputes, and
that if he wants more money he probably deserves it.

Hobson mentions this on January 4th . . .

[quote]NFL Network's Adam Schefter set the Internet on fire Friday with a report that Chad wants to be traded if he's not paid following the expected extension of T.J. Houshmandzadeh.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6580"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6580[/url]

Chad`s Agent spreads word on January 11th that he is tradeable. Then all
of a sudden Chad goes on some media blitz.

[quote]McNabb also just might have another playmaker or two at his disposal. It's conceivable that the Eagles will try to orchestrate a trade for Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson, who broke his own Bengals record with 1,440 receiving yards this season. Johnson turned 30 years old Wednesday and is coming off his sixth consecutive 1,000-yard season, [b]although it is widely believed that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is the one spreading the word that Johnson is tradeable.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080111_Falcons_GM_search_draws_a_big_crowd.html"]http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/2008..._big_crowd.html[/url]

Then Chad says wants to play for a winner, but mentions 3 teams,
one has never one a Super Bowl, another hasn`t won a Super Bowl
since the 80`s, the other hasn`t won one since the 70`s.

He has went behind closed doors in the past, and had his contract
extended 3 times in 7 years. I`m thinking this time the team told
him he is going to have to wait, and he is using anything and everything
as an excuse to get out, or get another contract. He has been talking
about playing for ANYONE but the Bengals. The team being a winner
seems to be secondary.

I could be wrong. But I don`t think I am. Because there
was never any reason to be hurt by the rumor. The Front
Office, his Coach and team mates did have his back.
And this team won 7 games while being decimated at
LB, RB, WR and the O-line. And he was not a consistent
threat this past season. He dropped balls, he didn't
block his ass off, he didn't get a lot of YAC ect.
So there really is no reason for him to all of a sudden lose faith
in this team that he had enough faith in to sign a long term
deal, just 2 seasons ago.

All signs point to Chad wanting a new contract AGAIN.
At least that's what I get out of it. But I don't look for reasons
to bash on the team I claim to be a fan of . . .

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653826' date='Apr 18 2008, 04:18 PM']When was the last time there was a Bears, Dolphins or Raiders joke on Leno?

...exactly.

Well I hope the missus doesn't let you keep the checkbook, I'll put it that way. :D[/quote]

Leno???!!! Who the fuck watches Leno?

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='653807' date='Apr 18 2008, 10:58 AM']When he skips the mandatories and loses money because of it, maybe people will understand it isn't about the money.[/quote]

You can't be serious ------------ a few hundred grand is nothing compared the the millions of a new contract. He was bitching about how Hall just got $70 mill and he knows he is better than Hall.

Chad believes he is in the top 3 if not the top wide out of his day ------- before those jump on me for the comment, I wrote --- "he believes". He wants a rework and does not think Bengals will give him his 3rd one so he knows a trade will result in a rework. The only way I believe it is not about the money is if he leaves and does not redo his deal.

Everyone in the league knows it is about the money. Former players on the radio say it, NFL network guys say it so you my as well believe it.

By the way, you know he was due a bonus for going to vol's right. Yes he skipped them but do you know Degree was paying him while he was away.

Regardless, the money he is losing is peanuts compared to what a new contract will pay him.

And yeah,
First the media, the media.
Second no ones got my back.
Third, it's Marvin.
Fourth, it's about winning.
Fifth, it's my QB. He needs to stay out of my business.

Sounds like the same rules of engagement used by another Drew Slimeball player -------- TO.

Archived