For all the Buckeye fans....

sigshoota

[quote name='Jason' post='654607' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:10 PM']I TiVo'd the Big Ten Network broadcast and watched it Sunday morning. Boeckman was ok, but not as good as I had hoped.

Boom Herron looked really good, and Bauserman showed a very good arm.[/quote]

agreed, Boeckman threw 2 picks although 1 was a great play by the corner on the bomb but the other was a bad decision.
Boom did look good but I wish we coulda got a look at Beanie-can't wait to watch that kid again :)

O-lineman Justin Boren is leaving Michigan to play for OSU. :headbang:

[quote]Lineman who left Michigan to play for Ohio State in 2009
ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 23, 2008, 5:28 PM ET

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio State-Michigan rivalry is about to get even more interesting, now that former Wolverines player Justin Boren has decided to join the Buckeyes.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Boren plans to play for the team after sitting out the 2008 season, as required by NCAA transfer rules.

The sophomore offensive lineman left the Michigan program last month, saying its "family values have eroded" under new coach Rich Rodriguez.

"It's exciting to be coming back home to central Ohio," Boren, who just finished the spring semester at Michigan, said in a statement through Tressel. "I am looking forward to the chance to help the Buckeyes continue their excellence in any way I can."

According to the Columbus Dispatch, which consulted an Ohio State football historian, the move is unprecedented. Jack Park, considered a Buckeyes football expert, said he did not find evidence of another high-profile player transferring from Michigan to Ohio State after World War II.

"He is just one player, but I think it's a major moment [in the history of the rivalry]," Park said in the Dispatch. "Just that it would happen is one thing. Then you throw in the fact his father [Mike Boren, who played linebacker for Bo Schembechler] had been at Michigan just makes it all the more interesting."

Park said two players -- quarterback Howard Yerges Jr. and center J.T. White -- started off at Ohio State, fought in World War II, then played at Michigan when they returned to civilian life.

Boren, who went to high school in a Columbus, Ohio, suburb, will be paying his own way at Ohio State for the rest of his collegiate career. Under Big Ten rules, he will not be able to receive an athletic scholarship from the Buckeyes.[/quote]

• 2 months later...
[url="http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21494"]http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21494[/url]

Some light reading for the slowest time of the football year...

[quote]Chat with Ohio State coach Jim Tressel

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel will stop by to chat about the upcoming season and his new book.

Tressel owns a 208-73-2 overall record as a head coach, including a 73-16 mark at Ohio State. He took over the reigns for the Buckeyes starting in the 2001 season and a year later led the team to a 14-0 record and a national championship. Prior to that, he spent 15 years at Youngstown State, going 135-57-2 and won four I-AA national titles (1991, 1993-94, 1997).

"The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life" hits stores Tuesday and shares stories and insights from Tressel's more than 20 years of coaching football.

Send in your questions now and join Tressel at 1 p.m. ET on Tuesday!

Buzzmaster: We'll have coach Tressel here in just a few minutes! Send in those questions!

Buzzmaster: Just got word that they're on their way over!

Charlie (Milwaukee): I've heard you've used various forms of The Winners Manual throughout the years. Is that true?
[color="#FF0000"]
Jim Tressel: We started making The Winners Manual in 1986 at Youngstown. Every year we've edited it; a lot of players and coaches have contributed. At times we've rearranged sections. There are some general fundamentals that have stayed the same. It's grown from 65 to 400 pages.[/color]

Vinny (Philly): How were you able to piece together this book?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: We started with a format. Back at Youngstown State, it was led by the Wheel of Life. Now at OSU, it's the Block O of life. It's bascially six parts of our players' lives that we want to help them increase their excellence. The bulk of the Manual is a large section with 18 fundamentals for winners that we use as a resource to help as we seek to increase our excellence.[/color]

Greg (Utah): Coach, I saw you on First Take, but no sweater vest? What gives? How many vests do you own?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: Well, it's nearly 90 degrees here in Bristol. Had I known it was going to be 60 degress on set, I would have worn one. But I did kind of vacillate of whether I should break out the vest. We have two kinds, the Nike Scarlet and the Nike Gray. I wear the scarlet when we're wearing white and gray when we're wearing red so the players can see this little body on the sidelines.[/color]

keith (NJ): With Florida and LSU winning the last two national titles, do you think the SEC needs to read The Winners Manual?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: You know I think it would help them, the Manual is more than just about football. I think it's helpful for anyone that's involved with athletics or not. But they certainly don't need any help with their teams.[/color]

Kevin (Virginia): How do you coach a big time college football program, go on the road recruiting and still find time for family?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: Probably one of the most difficult challenges that we have as coaches is the passion we have for all of those young people and the time it takes, the passion we have to seek out the X's and O's and then go out and recruit those people, and still do an adequate job at home. Like most people that love their job and have endless tasks, we have to control the situation, keep perspective, communicate well and in football coaches cases, be married to the right woman. It's a sacrifice for wives in what we do.[/color]

Lane (Kukuihaele, HI): Playoffs or current BCS system? You've won a national championship with both. Which do you prefer?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: For the moment, in Division I-A, or I guess Bowl Subdivision, what we have now is the best thing. As we seek to find a better situation, the thing I hope we don't do is move further into January. I think that puts more pressure on seniors who are preparing for their biggest job interview with preparing for the combine. Adding the 12th game has made this a more difficult problem to solve. The season is so long, the ability to keep our bowl culture, for those bowl cities and committees is critical. As we've made our season longer, there aren't more gaps in there. I think a full blown playoff scenario would be fatal for the bowl system.[/color]

Nathan-Columbus, OH: Is it true you're a woodworker? If so, did you make that desk in your office? Go Bucks!

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: It's true that I enjoy good woodworking and do have a good workshop. My son Zak is an excellent wood worker. I am not. He made a pool table. No, I did not make the desk in my office. That was not my workmanship. One of the things I'd like to do when my coaching career is over, is perhaps trying to get that skill of being a woodworker.[/color]

Chris (Ohio): Hey Coach, I was just wondering what's the plan for Terrelle Pryor this season?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: Well, from what I gather, he's been working hard in the weight room. In the summer, we're not permitted to coach him. In preseason, we'll give him the opportunity to show how he can internalize our system and build on his strengths. Perhaps with his ability and work ethic he can make a difference in 2008.[/color]

Dan (Detroit): Coach, I have to say thanks for making the sweater vest cool again. When I used to wear them, people would give me odd looks. How did you decide the vest would be your game day outfit?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: That began way back at Youngstown State. I don't know if I was given one or whatever, but I always found it to be comfortable. It became a part of my gameday wardrobe. Then it became an expectation. So it continued.[/color]

Wes Thomas Columbus Ohio: How have you been preparing for the game against USC this September? Is there a particular game film that you have been studying like the Stanford game last year? Thanks!

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: We have had a film exchange with USC for all 13 games from last year. Our preparation this summer has been in the weight room and conditioning. But the week of that game, we'll be studying that Pac-10 list of films and obviously their bowl game this past year with Illinois.[/color]

James (Chicago): As a coach, how do you deal with tough situations like that of Maurice Clarett?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: I think keeping the young person and their needs in mind has to take center stage. Sometimes it's easy to get angry and go do something that makes you feel better, but every move we make has to have that young person in mind as well as the rest of the team and a little of the feeling of the history of that person up to that point. Unfortunately not all of the decisions you make are objective, some are subjective but all are made with the team in mind.[/color]

Chris (Cleveland): Who's the early season favorite to win it all, in your opinion? Other than OSU, of course.

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: Well, with the people that they have returning, Southern Cal should be given notice. You can't overlook LSU. Many people are talking about Georgia and Florida. I don't think you can ever discount Oklahoma and Texas. And we think there are a lot of Big Ten teams that will have their say before it's over.[/color]

Paul (Sacramento): Coach...is it still fun?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: Absolutely. My biggest problem is that work is more fun than fun. I have to guard against wanting to be at work too much. We have great young people. There's nothing like Buckeye fans. When you have expectations like ours, you get excited to go to work.[/color]

Derrick (Columbus): How is the book signing tour going so far? I know you are going to be in Columbus very soon?

[color="#FF0000"]Jim Tressel: We'll be in Columbus in three locations on Wednesday. It's been exciting being in New York and Connecticut, having a chance to share with the national audience The Winners Manual. I'm excited to see how it can benefit the people. And I'm also excited to get back to work for the 2008 season.

Jim Tressel: It's great to be a Buckeye![/color][/quote]

[quote name='JC' post='679293' date='Jul 15 2008, 07:46 PM']Question for you guys.

Is there any chance Garret Hummel plays this year at wide reciever?[/quote]

This year? Only if a LOT of people get injured.

Here's an in depth (aka LONG) Buckeye preview:

Link: [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=3479660"]http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=3479660[/url]

[quote](All information as of June 20, 2008)

Ohio State Buckeyes
LOCATION Columbus, Ohio
CONFERENCE Big Ten
LAST SEASON 11-2 (.846)
CONFERENCE RECORD 8-0 (1st)
OFF. STARTERS RETURNING 9
DEF. STARTERS RETURNING 9
NICKNAME Buckeyes
COLORS Scarlet & Gray
HOME FIELD Ohio Stadium (102,329)
HEAD COACH Jim Tressel (Baldwin-Wallace '75)
RECORD AT SCHOOL 73-16 (7 years)
CAREER RECORD 208-73-2 (22 years)
ASSISTANTS • Darrell Hazell (Muskingum '86), Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers
• Jim Bollman (Ohio '77), Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line
• Jim Heacock (Muskingum '70), Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
• Luke Fickell (Ohio State '97), Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
• Joe Daniels (Slippery Rock '64), Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator
• Paul Haynes (Kent State '93), Safeties
• Taver Johnson (Wittenberg '94), Cornerbacks
• John Peterson (Ohio State '91), Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator
• Dick Tressel (Baldwin Wallace '70), Running Backs

TEAM WINS (Last five yrs.) 11-8-10-12-11
FINAL RANK (Last five yrs.) 5-16-6-2-4
2007 FINISH Lost to LSU in BCS national title game.
2008 Schedule | 2007 Results | 2007 Stats

[b]COACH AND PROGRAM[/b]
At first glance, Ohio State seems like the rich relative you have a hard time shopping for: What do you get the program that has everything?

The Buckeyes have played in the last two national championship games. They were going to return a healthy chunk of starters, even before every NFL draft-eligible junior except for one (defensive end Vernon Gholston) decided to come back for their senior year. No way did OSU coaches count on two-time All-American linebacker James Laurinaitis returning, or All-Big Ten cornerback Malcolm Jenkins. Both of them were probable first-round picks.

But here they are.

Add to that a Heisman Trophy front-runner at tailback (Beanie Wells), and the Buckeyes have 18 starters back from an 11-2 team. Their biggest worries in spring practice were who would take over at right tackle and fullback. Rough life. And then, in the coup de grace, came the perfect gift: The top high school player in the nation.

Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, the first player in Pennsylvania high school history to both run and pass for 4,000 career yards, committed to Ohio State in March. The excitement surrounding Pryor's arrival -- coupled with the return of so much talent -- has overshadowed any lingering memories of the 38-24 loss to LSU in January.

There is not nearly the same feel hovering over Ohio State as there was in the spring of 2007. Then, the 41-14 blowout loss to Florida in the BCS championship game provided an offseason's worth of motivation. Coach Jim Tressel had the door codes to the facility changed to "4-1-1-4" at one point. The ghosts were everywhere, and revenge was the theme.

This year feels different.

"I haven't really heard anybody say anything about this year's [title] game," left tackle Alex Boone said. "There's no need to say anything. We know why we're here, we know what we have to do. We know we need to get better, and that's what we're going to do."

The 2008 team is experienced and senior-laden. The Buckeyes realize they will enter the season with high expectations, and that's fine with them -- most of the players lived through being ranked No. 1 wire-to-wire in 2006 before the Florida loss. Still, there is a "title game or bust" feel around this club, which could be setting the Buckeyes and their fans up for disappointment.

Tressel has built a powerhouse program, one that has won three straight Big Ten titles (shared in 2005, outright the last two years). He is revered in Ohio for beating archrival Michigan six out of his seven years. But after winning a national championship in 2002, Tressel's talent-packed teams of 2005, 2006, and 2007 have all fallen short.

Is Ohio State a regional, rather than national, power? The label, "Best of the Midwest" rings hollow. After two lopsided losses to Southeastern Conference teams, the perception is OSU won't be worthy of returning to the title game, even if the system puts it there.

The Buckeyes realize that much of the nation does not want them back in the championship picture. They will use that to cast themselves as underdogs -- mentally, at least, if not on paper.

"We know what we have, and we know what people are going to think," defensive tackle Doug Worthington said. "But we're going to keep everything within our family, and do what we have to do to be a great team."

[b]QUARTERBACKS[/b]
June 16 and probably.

Those are the answers to the two most popular questions this spring about the Buckeyes' quarterback position: When is Terrelle Pryor coming to Columbus, and will he play this year?

What's missing from that discussion is any mention of incumbent Todd Boeckman (6-4, 244), and that's unfair. All Boeckman did last season, his first as a starter at age 23, was unexpectedly lead Ohio State to the national title game while putting up numbers good enough to be chosen first team All-Big Ten.

Boeckman, a fifth-year senior, put together one of the better seasons in school history: 25 touchdown passes and a 64 percent completion rate. But he has two problems. One is that he tailed off at the end of the season, throwing six of his 14 interceptions in the final three games (two of which were losses). That left some with a bad final impression. And then, all the hoopla surrounding Pryor (6-6, 235) adds a twist of unnecessary intrigue to 2008. Boeckman hopes to answer both issues with improved play. He worked hard on his mechanics and decision-making in the offseason.

"There were times in a close game I was trying to force the ball and make a play happen," he said. "I should always know where the safety is, and sometimes that slipped my mind. I was letting my ability take over and wasn't thinking as much as I should have."

The coaches worked with Boeckman in the spring to look more for outlet receivers, rather than force throws downfield. To that end, expect Ohio State to use a variety of formations and have a tight end and/or running back available underneath more often this season. Tressel has made it clear that Boeckman is "THE MAN" this fall, heading off any talk of Pryor competing for the starting job.

What the coaching staff would like to do is use Pryor as a change-of-pace guy who gives defenses fits. The template is the way Florida used Tim Tebow in relief of Chris Leak two years ago. On using a two-quarterback system, Tressel said, "You'd love to have that luxury, but it has to be demonstrated that it's warranted."

So Pryor has opportunity, but he first must prove he's worthy.

Given his track record and physical gifts, that wouldn't seem to be a problem. Pryor's combination of size and speed (4.4 40) is rare. In piling up 4,238 career rushing yards and 4,340 career passing yards, he became the first player in talent-rich Pennsylvania history to break the 4,000-yard barrier in both statistics. Last year, he threw for 1,889 and ran for 1,899. Talk about balance. He accounted for 58 touchdowns.

No wonder he was chosen the national prep player of the year by USA Today, Parade, EA Sports, Scout, Rivals, PrepStar, SuperPrep and PrepNation. It's also worth mentioning that Pryor could have signed anywhere he wanted as a basketball player. He scored 2,000 career points at Jeannette.

Meanwhile, two other players are fighting to show they deserve to be Boeckman's top backup: third-year sophomore Antonio Henton (6-1, 236) and redshirt freshman Joe Bauserman (6-2, 220). Henton was compared to former Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith when he came to Columbus. He showed flashes of run/pass ability early last season before an arrest for solicitation of a prostitute (he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge) led to a suspension that sidelined him for seven weeks.

Now his future is in question, thanks to Pryor's arrival and the ascension of Bauserman, a 22-year-old who committed to Ohio State in 2004 but then played three seasons of minor league baseball in the Pittsburgh Pirates' system before joining the Buckeyes last fall. In the team's spring game, Bauserman was impressive, showing off a strong arm.

At least one name was subtracted from the mix. Rob Schoenhoft, who would have been a fourth-year junior this fall, transferred to Delaware in January.

[b]RUNNING BACKS[/b]
Beanie Wells (6-1, 237) treats talk of a possible Heisman Trophy the same way he treats opposing defenders -- head on.

The bruising junior tailback spent 2006 as an understudy to Antonio Pittman, gaining 567 yards and scoring seven touchdowns. Last season, as expected, he exploded, rushing for 1,609 yards -- a school record for a sophomore, better than some guy named Archie Griffin. So that sets up a 2008 season in which Wells enters as a Heisman front-runner.

"I honestly [think about it] all the time," he said. "I thought about the Heisman in my 10th-grade year. Me and my father were sitting in the living room and I told him I wanted to be the first freshman to win the Heisman.

"That didn't happen, so I just want to get it, honestly."

The remarkable aspect of Wells' 2007 campaign was that he fought several painful and nagging injuries all season. He broke a bone in his wrist in preseason camp but played through it, and dealt with a mysterious twinge in his ankle that caused him to limp off the field at times. He had surgery on the wrist in January and sat out spring ball as a precaution, but he should be healthy this fall.

Wells carried the Buckeyes late in the season. In his final six games, he rushed for 967 yards (161 per game), including a 221-yard effort against Michigan State and 222 yards and two touchdowns on 39 carries in a 14-3 win at Michigan to clinch the Big Ten title. His workload is not likely to increase this year, however, mainly because the Buckeyes are trying to diversify their offense a bit. As part of that effort, OSU spent much of the spring working on a formation that features two tailbacks on the field at once, a so-called "pony formation." The reason behind that effort is to get more out of sophomore Brandon Saine (6-1, 217), Ohio's Mr. Football in 2006 and a high school track star. Saine showed promise as a receiver out of the backfield in 2007, catching passes of 44 and 35 yards in limited action. He had 75 "touches" last year (60 carries, 12 catches and three kick returns), and the coaches want to expand his role.

"He's got a gear and he's powerful," Tressel said. ''And what I like about him is he can do so many things. I think he's a fine, fine receiver. We really have high expectations for what he can contribute."

Ohio State has more depth at tailback than it has enjoyed in years. Steady senior Maurice Wells (5-10, 196) logged 103 carries last season as Beanie Wells' top backup, although Saine's emergence may limit his action a bit. Another young back, Daniel Herron (5-10, 193) redshirted last season but looked good in spring ball.

The only concern is at fullback, where the Buckeyes graduated all three players who saw action there last season. Two converted linebackers may fill the spot -- senior Ryan Lukens (6-0, 238) and fifth-year senior Curtis Terry (6-1, 229). Lukens moves over full time, while Terry still will play some defense, as well. Incoming freshman Jermil Martin (6-0, 227) is the only natural fullback on the roster.

[b]WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS[/b]
Ohio State is confident it has a Big Two. What it would like is to develop a reliable 3, 4, and 5. But at least the Buckeyes have plenty of candidates.

First, though, at the top of the depth chart are "The Brians" -- Brian Robiskie (6-3, 199), a senior, and Brian Hartline (6-2, 186), a junior. They form one of the most dynamic and interesting tandems in the Big Ten. Last season, they each caught more than 50 passes, combining for 107 receptions for 1,629 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Each has their strength. Robiskie (11 touchdowns) thrived early last season on deep passes, showcasing deceptive speed and using remarkable body control to twist and grab contested passes away from defenders. The son of longtime NFL assistant coach Terry Robiskie, Brian had minor knee surgery in the offseason but is expected to be 100 percent in 2008.

Hartline increasingly became Boeckman's security blanket on third down, catching many of his passes on slants and underneath routes in traffic.

"There's a trust there now," Hartline said of his relationship with Boeckman. "I can find myself in the slot a lot during the game, and you don't find gaping holes in the middle of the field. So to have faith in me in a two-, three-foot hole says a lot."

Much has been expected of junior Ray Small (5-11, 180), who came to Ohio State from the same high school (Cleveland Glenville) as former star Ted Ginn, Jr. He had a few highlight moments last season, but 20 catches and two touchdowns was underwhelming. Small is being pushed hard by several younger players, most notably sophomores Dane Sanzenbacher (5-11, 175) and Taurian Washington (6-2, 179). Sanzenbacher played a fair amount last season and proved steady and reliable, with 12 catches. Washington did not see much action, but in the spring, he emerged as a deep threat with a smooth stride.

A pair of converted defensive backs, sophomores Devon Torrence (6-1, 193) and Grant Schwartz (6-0, 194) also are competing. The Buckeyes probably don't need immediate help from a pair of incoming freshman -- DeVier Posey (6-3, 205) and Jake Stoneburner (6-5, 225), but Posey is highly touted and Stoneburner's height adds a dimension to the mix.

Two experienced tight ends return -- fifth-year senior Rory Nicol (6-5, 252) had 16 catches last season, and junior Jake Ballard (6-6, 256), who is emerging as a solid red zone target.

[b]OFFENSIVE LINE[/b]
After 22 starts at left tackle the past three years, Alex Boone thought about moving on. He probably would have been at least a second-round NFL draft pick. But Boone wants to take that next step and earn All-America status this season, so he's back. He has all the tools -- he's 6-8, 312 and athletic. This is a guy who leapfrogged over the 6-2 Hartline after a touchdown at Penn State last season, and landed on both feet.

"He has been a really good run blocker -- outstanding, actually," offensive line coach Jim Bollman said. "He's had some huge, huge, huge assets for us run blocking -- allowing us to do some things there that normally you can't do.

"And he's a good pass blocker, but I think that's an area he can continue to work on and improve."

Boone's return means Ohio State loses only one of its top seven linemen from last season -- four-year starting right tackle Kirk Barton.

The other key returning player after Boone is junior center Jim Cordle (6-4, 297) who did an outstanding job last season in his first year at a key spot. He played several games with a cast on his right hand, forcing him to snap with his left hand, which he did seamlessly. He also handled the line calls and signals well in hostile environments, as Ohio State won three night games on the road in a five-week span.

"I feel a lot more comfortable," Cordle said. "I've experienced a lot of things, and I can kind of see what's going on and pick things up pretty easily."

Both guards are back -- fifth-year seniors Steve Rehring (6-7, 335) on the left and Ben Person (6-3, 323) on the right. The leading contender to take Barton's old spot is sophomore Bryant Browning (6-4, 312).

"The best thing I see is a little steady improvement every day," Bollman said of Browning. "Every single day, he's getting a little bit better at one thing, which has been very pleasing to me to see."

Connor Smith (6-4, 321) and Kyle Mitchum (6-3, 291) are the top backups, along with a trio of highly ranked incoming freshmen. That trio is led by Mike Adams (6-8, 310), rated the top tackle recruit in the nation. He was expected to push Browning for immediate playing time before suffering a shoulder injury that required surgery in the spring. He may be back in time to play this season, but probably lost a shot to start.

The other freshmen are J.B. Shugarts (6-8, 300) and Michael Brewster (6-5, 300). Brewster may be the center of the future. For now, though, junior Andrew Moses (6-3, 280) will back up Cordle.

[b]KICKERS[/b]
Ohio State's depth and wealth of talent even extends to this spot. Senior Ryan Pretorius (5-9, 169) returns, but junior Aaron Pettrey (6-2, 199) also has proved capable of handling the job. Pettrey was the Buckeyes' place-kicker in 2006 and made 8-of-11 field-goal attempts before a hip flexor injury limited him last preseason and gave Pretorius the opening to take the job. Pretorius, a 29-year-old former rugby player from South Africa, responded by making 18-of-23 tries. Four of the misses were blocks, some of which could be blamed on blocking breakdowns and some on low kicks. Pettrey recovered in time to take over the kickoff duties late in the season, and he performed well, with six touchbacks in 14 tries. He will start the season in that role.

As if that wasn't enough, incoming freshman Ben Buchanan (5-10, 191) arrives after a record-setting prep career. He could challenge for the job in 2009. Buchanan, from Westerville (Ohio) Central High School, set state records for field goals (five) and kick scoring (16 points) in a game and also longest field goal (54 yards). He was a three-time first-team All-Ohio pick.

[b]DEFENSIVE LINE[/b]
The Buckeyes lose one starter and gain one starter, so the net result might be improved play overall.

Gone is Gholston, whose 14 sacks last season broke Mike Vrabel's school record and who was picked sixth overall in the NFL draft. But junior end Lawrence Wilson (6-4, 274), who broke his leg in the season opener and missed the rest of the year, returns healthy after being forced to take a redshirt season. Much was being expected last season of Wilson, an athletic, emotional rush end.

"I thought he was going to be a real cornerstone of the defense," defensive coordinator Jim Heacock said. "I am anxious to see what he can do."

Wilson needs to help pick up the slack left by Gholston's departure, because the rest of the line did not get sufficient pressure on quarterbacks last season. The four players who rotated at the two tackle spots managed only five sacks between them.

"I wasn't happy at all with the inside pressure," Heacock said. "We've got to be much better inside."

Hoping for improvement is the quartet of junior Doug Worthington (6-6, 276), junior Todd Denlinger (6-2, 292), senior Nader Abdallah (6-4, 300) and sophomore Dexter Larimore (6-2, 300). Worthington is a converted end and does not have the prototype body for a tackle. He's more long and lean. He's working on putting on another 10 to 15 pounds and hopes to play at 285 or 290. Denlinger is steady. Abdallah got pushed around at times. Larimore shows promise as a former wrestler who uses his leverage well.

The Buckeyes got a big lift from the unexpected emergence of Cameron Heyward (6-6, 287) at end. As a freshman last season, he helped make up for the loss of Wilson and provide a complement to Gholston, with 10 tackles for loss. Heyward, the son of former NFL running back Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, also is athletic enough to drop into coverage, and had three passes defensed.

Former linebacker Thaddeus Gibson (6-2, 240) moved to end in the offseason and OSU hopes he provides another rush threat off the edge. Gibson, a sophomore, is speedy, so he's likely to play mostly on passing downs. The top backups at end include sophomore Rob Rose (6-5, 285), who platooned with Heyward for some last season before his playing time slipped, and sophomore Solomon Thomas (6-5, 240).

OSU has five incoming freshmen linemen, but none will be counted on immediately.

[b]LINEBACKERS[/b]
Now here's a problem most teams would love to have: Too many good linebackers.

Ohio State would have had a glut no matter what, but the return of two-time All-American senior James Laurinaitis (6-3, 240) and All-Big Ten senior Marcus Freeman (6-1, 239) further clogs the position with talent. Laurinaitis recorded his second straight 100-tackle season, but it was a struggle at times. Teams focused on him more than in his breakout season of 2006, and the Buckeyes' young defensive line allowed more blockers through to the second level.

Still, he can run sideline-to-sideline, fill a hole with force, or drop into coverage (seven career interceptions). He is the heart of a defensive unit that led the nation in scoring (12.8 points a game), total yards (233) and passing yards (150.2), and was third against the run (82.8). Not bad, but Laurinaitis is a driven player, always looking for more.

"There's a lot of things I can do [better]," he said. "Ask [linebackers coach Luke] Fickell -- he'll tell you plenty about what I need to do to get better. You have to compare yourself to the best ever."

Freeman is a different style of player, but he also had a 100-tackle season as he came into his own. Playing the weak side, his strength is speed, and he grew more instinctive as the year went on last season. With the predominance of multiple-receiver offenses, OSU most often deploys only two linebackers at a time, so that's one reason there is a stockpile of talent at the position. The coaching staff has tried to alleviate it by moving players, such as shifting Gibson to end and Terry to part-time fullback.

When there are three linebackers on the field, the leading candidate for the strong-side spot is Curtis Terry (6-1, 229) a fifth-year senior who was forced to redshirt last season with foot and ankle injuries. He is a powerful tackler and may also play at defensive end at times. Junior Austin Spitler (6-3, 234) could easily have taken over for Laurinaitis in the middle had the latter left for the pros. Instead, he could be one of the best reserves in the nation.

Ross Homan (6-0, 229) also comes off an injury redshirt season. He had shown promise early last year -- so much so that he was alternating series with Freeman until getting hurt. There are others who will fight for the remaining scraps of playing time -- Tyler Moeller (6-0, 216), a hybrid safety/linebacker whose specialty is blitzing; Jermale Hines (6-2, 210); special-teams standout Brian Rolle (5-11, 221) and incoming freshman Etienne Sabino (6-2, 232), who enrolled early and made some plays in spring practice.

That's all.

"We'd like to believe that we can try and find ways to get them all on the field and keep them all happy and see the light at the end of the tunnel," Fickell said.

[b]DEFENSIVE BACKS[/b]
The top six defensive backs all return ... maybe, and maybe minus a few games.

As spring drew to a close, starting cornerback Donald Washington (6-0, 194) and reserve safeties Jamario O'Neal (6-0, 205) and Eugene Clifford (6-2, 191) were held out of practice and limited in the spring game for reasons Tressel refused to specify. The threat of suspensions hang over the trio, particularly for Clifford, a redshirt freshman who already was suspended from the national title game for violating a team rule.

It's unlikely that Washington and O'Neal would sit out more than a game or two, which is good for the Buckeyes, because Washington, a junior, and senior Malcolm Jenkins (6-1, 201) both are two-year starting corners. Jenkins is a potential All-American, with size, speed and hitting ability to go with eight career interceptions. He snagged four of those picks last season, when he slid into a safety spot in the Buckeyes' nickel defense and roamed the middle of the field. His ball skills were all too rare in the secondary, which picked off only 11 passes while dropping 15 potential interceptions. In the spring, the unit continued to struggle, to the point that coaches made the players do calisthenics for each drop.

The starting safeties, juniors Anderson Russell (6-0, 205) and Kurt Coleman (5-11, 188) did not have an interception. They aren't bad players by any means -- both are solid against the run, and Coleman is better than most safeties in man coverage -- but they didn't make a lot of highlight-reel plays.

"Anderson and I have talked about that," Coleman said. "I think we did enough to keep the offense from getting big plays, but we didn't make the big plays for our offense, and that's what we're going to try and key on this year."

Sophomore Chimdi Chekwa (6-0, 188) emerged as the third corner last season. He's not a hitter, but he is dependable in coverage. Junior Andre Amos (6-1, 183) is likely the No. 4 corner, and fifth-year senior Shaun Lane (5-10, 175) has seen some playing time, also.

There is depth at safety, although the Buckeyes could use Clifford, a highly touted prep player. O'Neal has been a disappointment overall, but he's serviceable as a backup. Junior Aaron Gant (6-0, 194) looks promising, and senior Nick Patterson (6-1, 209) and redshirt freshman Nate Oliver (6-0, 215) are in the mix, as well.

The pipeline is stocked for the future, with sophomore James Scott (5-10, 170), redshirt freshmen Donnie Evege (5-11, 189) and Rocco Pentello (6-0, 194), and three incoming freshmen.

[b]PUNTERS[/b]
A.J. Trapasso (6-0, 229) returns for his fourth season on the job. He has always been steady, sometimes spectacular, and rarely prone to a botched kick.

Last year, though, several of his numbers slipped a bit. He had the lowest net average (36.7) of his three seasons, and he had the most touchbacks (seven) of his career. On the plus side, he has placed nearly 40 percent of his career kicks (57-of-147) inside the 20-yard line.

Junior Jon Thoma is the backup. The freshman Buchanan handled punts as well as kicks in high school.

[b]SPECIAL TEAMS[/b]
The Buckeyes missed Ted Ginn, Jr. last season. They were spoiled by Ginn, who in his three seasons in Columbus returned six punts for touchdowns (a school record) and also brought two kickoffs back for scores. Normally outstanding on special teams, OSU suffered through a down season -- not terrible, just not up to its standard. The Buckeyes allowed two kickoff-return touchdowns and were only 58th nationally in punt returns. Both of those pale in comparison, though, to problems on kick returns, where OSU ranked 117th.

"We had some issues last year, and we're trying to address those, obviously," said receivers coach Darrell Hazell, who handles the return units. "We've done some pretty good things I think that will help us out."

Three running backs will handle the bulk of the kick-return duties -- Maurice Wells, Brandon Saine and Dan Herron. Small was disappointing last season (17.8 yards per return). Small and Hartline will once again handle punt returns, where each did a reasonably solid job last season -- Hartline averaged 11.3 yards per return and had a 90-yard touchdown.

Other concerns include the blocked field goals mentioned earlier, and finding a new long snapper. The top candidate is sophomore Jake McQuaide (6-2, 219). Pretorius raves about the work of Jon Thoma, his holder.

[b]BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS
Grading the Ohio State Buckeyes[/b]
Unit Grade
Offense B+
Special teams C+
[u]Defense B[/u] ???? (See below)
Intangibles A-

The talent and depth is amazing. Traditionally, quarterbacks make big improvements in their second full year of starting, which bodes well for Boeckman. With a horse like Wells at his disposal, experienced receivers, and a veteran line in front, he doesn't need to try and do too much.

The addition of Pryor and emphasis on using backs such as Saine in the passing game will be interesting to watch. Will the Buckeyes stick to this plan?

Defensively, the front needs to step up. But with all four tackles and three experienced ends returning, that should happen. Laurinaitis, Freeman and Jenkins are All-America caliber, and again, the defense has incredible depth. No question, this is the favorite to win the Big Ten, which would be the first time a team has won three straight outright league championships.

But the Buckeyes face a tough road schedule -- USC in September, Wisconsin in October, and Illinois in November, one week before the annual showdown with Michigan. OSU also must watch for stumbles against teams that usually play the Buckeyes tough, like Penn State and Michigan State.

This team has the same vibe as the 2005 Buckeyes had -- led by veterans, with the absolute highest expectations. That team lost two of its first five games, then rallied to win its final seven and destroy Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. If the 2008 Buckeyes lose early, how will they respond?

They are likely to pick up one loss along the way. Whether that will prevent them from reaching the title game remains to be seen. And even if they get there, in order to reach their ultimate goal, they likely will have to conquer their most elusive demon -- beating the best the Southeastern Conference has to offer.[/quote]

I would like to know how a defense that finished 1st in total, 1st in scoring, 1st in passing, and 3rd in rushing defense, that returns 9 starters, doesn't get an A for the defenseive grade.

[quote name='sigshoota' post='679390' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:14 PM']Good read, thanks Kanger[/quote]

no sweat B)
[quote name='Jason' post='679398' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:59 PM']Here's an in depth (aka LONG) Buckeye preview:

Link: [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=3479660"]http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=3479660[/url]

I would like to know how a defense that finished 1st in total, 1st in scoring, 1st in passing, and 3rd in rushing defense, that returns 9 starters, doesn't get an A for the defenseive grade.[/quote]

Great summary of what 2008 brings. Thanks, Jason.

Can't believe Maurice Wells is still here :o Seems like he's been in Columbus forever.

Archived