Pollack to Retire

[quote]Pollack to retire
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 22, 2008

11:55 a.m.
Nearly three years to the day they took David Pollack with their first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he is headed to retirement.

Lewis also denied an ESPN report that the Redskins offered a first-round pick this year and next for Chad Johnson.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='655063' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:07 AM']The title of this thread should be changed to "Pollack considering retirement". That's what marvin said.[/quote]

I agree. Hobson blew it again and probably will get an earfull from Marvin.

Update(On the damn Chad story):

[quote]Updated: 12:05 p.m.
Nearly three years to the day they took David Pollack with their first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he is headed to retirement.

Lewis also denied an ESPN report that the Bengals turned down the Redskins' offer of a first-round pick this year and potentially next for Chad Johnson.

Citing team and league sources, the story says that the Redskins offered their first-round pick, No. 21 overall this year, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels,

But speaking at a Tuesday news conference for this weekend's draft, Lewis said that Bengals president "Mike Brown has not received a phone call."

The club has been adamant in not trading the disgruntled five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and ESPN's Chris Mortensen said the Eagles and Cowboys have also been told Johnson is not on the market.

With Johnson talking retirement if the Bengals don't trade him, Lewis said, "He's a man of his word. He says he's not going to play, so don't play."[/quote]

This isn't a surprise. He suffered a very serious injury and was lucky enough to recover fully. If he resumed his career and got hurt again, it would be like throwing away an almost-miracle. He has a wife and children to consider and a bright future, just not on the football field.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='654747' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:59 PM']I too believe Pollack will be back.

Pollack said he wants to play again.
It was stated that if his neck healed properly, that it would be stronger than before.
He has been cleared to play by (at least) 2 different Doctors.

Everyone said that they think the Bengals will wait until after the draft
to make the announcement. Well, it isn't after the draft yet.

[b]I'll keep on hoping for his return until there is no more hope to hold on to . . .[/b][/quote]

Not much hope left to hold on to . . . :(

This might be trying to be overly optimistic, but is there any chance that marvin said pollack is hinting towards retirement so that other teams think he isnt coming back and might be more willing to move ahead of us in the draft to pick a DE if they think we are gonna go after one at some point.

Maybe its just another smoke screen?

Doubt it, but possible I guess.

[quote][size=5][b]Pollack's NFL career likely over[/b][/size]

[size=3][b]Ex-UGA star hasn't fully recovered from 2006 neck injury [/b][/size]

By JOSH KATZOWITZ
For the Journal-Constitution

Published on: 04/22/08

Cincinnati – It appears that David Pollack's career in professional football is over.

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said this morning that Pollack told him more than a week ago that the former University of Georgia star, who suffered a fractured vertebrae in his neck during the 2006 season, probably won't play and that "I believe where he's headed is retirement."

"I think he's not completely comfortable with where he is medically," Lewis said. "Although he has been given an opportunity and release to play football, I think there's a lot to this guy. We know the quality of the person.

"He has such a bright future no matter what he chooses to do. We're proceeding in the fashion that he's not going to be part of this football team. He spoke to me well over a week ago and that's where things are headed. It's been a tough, tough decision for he and his family."

The Shiloh High School product has worked, in recent months, with potential NFL draft picks at a training facility in the Cincinnati suburbs, and [b]Lewis said a career in coaching is a possibility for Pollack.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/04/22/pollack_0423.html"]http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/u...llack_0423.html[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='655216' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:42 PM']He can replace Hayes as the Dline coach right now.

half ninja[/quote]

[size=2][b]I[/b][/size] could replace Hayes as our D-line coach right now.

3/4ninja

[quote name='Jason' post='655225' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:57 PM'][size=2][b]I[/b][/size] could replace Hayes as our D-line coach right now.

3/4ninja[/quote]

Wasnt it David who taught Justin that spin move? (that he used once)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='655227' date='Apr 22 2008, 01:00 PM']Wasnt it David who taught Justin that spin move? (that he used once)[/quote]

I don't know.

But I do know that Barry McCoy taught John Thornton a swim move . . .

:ninja: <====actual photo of Barry McCoy

[quote name='Mattyc' post='655220' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:45 PM']I wish him luck, but if you are medically cleared to play football, why not?

To each his own.[/quote]
The Bengal fan in me hates that he made this decision.

But the father of 4 in me thinks he made the appropriate decision. He had a very, very serious injury but was given a second chance with full mobility, etc. Would you temp fate twice - me neither.

He's got plenty of money now so that isn't a worry and he's healthy enough to have kids and have a family and to play Russian roulette twice is just stupid.

Good for you David, the fan hates it, but the dad loves it.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='655228' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:03 PM']I don't know.

But I do know that Barry McCoy taught John Thornton a swim move . . .

:ninja: <====actual photo of Barry McCoy[/quote]

bwhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahaa

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='Mattyc' post='655220' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:45 PM']I wish him luck, but if you are medically cleared to play football, why not?

To each his own.[/quote]

I think he'll always have that injury in the back of his mind, and it could make him hesitant. And a hesitant football player is more likely to get injured.

I'm a little saddened, but wish him the best.

That was a tough draft to absorb.

1 David Pollack LB Georgia 17 [color="#FF0000"][b]Retired[/b][/color]
2 Odell Thurman LB Georgia 48 [color="#FF0000"][b]suspended 2 years[/b][/color]
3 Chris Henry WR West Virginia 83 [color="#FF0000"][b]cut[/b][/color]
4 Eric Ghiaciuc C Central Michigan 119
5 Adam Kieft T Central Michigan 153 [color="#FF0000"][b]not re-signed, never played[/b][/color]
6 Tab Perry WR UCLA 190 [color="#FF0000"][b]2 years injured, and now gone[/b][/color]
7 Jonathan Fanene DE Utah 233

That draft should have made this team. Instead, I think it boke it.

Archived