** So I got the XSI **

I have a canon XTi currently, my wife and I seem to continue to have needs for the camera at the same time, not to mention my need of a camera is becoming more serious on a more regular basis. I was about to purchase another XTI body, but stumbled across the XSi when i was checking out a IS version of the kit lens for the XTi.

All the lenses will work, the membery cards are cheaper for the good high speed stuff. its more MP's, 14 bit vs 12 bit, and has this and that a notch better, including ability to snap with the LCD screen view not just the viewfinder, including AF features via the screen. its approx $200-300 more depending where i buy..

since the lenses are the pricey part, and they fit, its really just a matter of a few things..

1. cost difference (advantage XTI)
2. technology difference (advantage XSi)
3. accessory difference (advantage XTI, as my 4 batteries, battery pack, chargers, mem cards wont fly so i need more/new, backup accessories for XSI)
4. cool new toy factor (obvious advantage XSi)

its the same size, it seemed LIGHTER but i could be imagining things, the circuit city security things are hard to gauge.

im comfy with canon so i will slip right into using the XSi. and it is clearly the better option. even the flashes and everything fit...

i cant think of a reason NOT to get it aside from cost. but with the improvements it easily moves into the lead spot for MY usage, and the wife is more than happy with the xti.

SD cards also fit into our laptops and things as well. without a reader, unlike the compact flash where with USB the camera when we use our laptops for image viewing..

so it has advantages... and disadvantages (all related to cost it seems)

but i dont think cost will be a real issue.. i may have to save an extra month to makeup the difference...nothing big.. as long as i have it by august im straight..

suggestions? input? anyone used it and have any insight?

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='666483' date='May 19 2008, 01:19 AM']Unless you've outgrown the xti, I'd stick with it. Save the extra $$ to put toward future lenses, which is where any real quality difference will come in...[/quote]

yea i dont know that I have outgrown it, but 5 years from now im wondering if ill regret not having the XSi, as the XTi is basically a modern XT with a few upgraded specs, I would love to have 203 more lenses, tho I have a decent selection with the kit lens, the 70-300 IS USM, and the 60MM Macro.

I would like a walkaround lens like the kit lens with IS, another mid range zoom lens, and a 400-500mm telephoto, the 400 is a grand minimum and the 50 is like $6,000 tho, so thats a pipe dream.

now the XSi COMES WITH a kit lens WITH IS. so it kinda kills two birds with one stone. its probably the next lens i woulda bought, so XTI = $500-ish +$180 for lens = $680, XSI -$800ish, so $120 difference still.. and about $120-200 in needed accessory replacements..(over time not required right away)

hmmmmm

decisions decisions.

With the Xsi coming with the lens you were probably going to purchase anyway, the difference then being around $120 or so, I'd definitely go with the Xsi.

The pixel rating is higher - which essentially will allow you to store a "bigger" image initially at higher quality.

Don't know what you do regarding action photography but the Xsi is listed at 3.5 fps where the Xti is only 3. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference.

I didn't step down into each spec to compare but those two, plus being able to shoot from the screen, if you so elect, is nice as well.

I've got a 30D that goes at 5 fps, had the opportunity to purchase a 5d (for an extremely good price) and elected not to since it is designed more as a still camera for wedding, etc. and not action photography. Yes, was a full frame, etc. but didn't meet the needs. I digress...

You sound like me when I'm looking at stuff like this - you're mind is made up (or at least leaning in a direction) now you're just building justification for that decision. I'm with you there. Between the price difference and the increased bells and whistles $120 difference is nothing when you're talking about the cost that we put into these DSLRs, factoring glass, flash, etc.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='667048' date='May 20 2008, 10:19 AM']With the Xsi coming with the lens you were probably going to purchase anyway, the difference then being around $120 or so, I'd definitely go with the Xsi.

The pixel rating is higher - which essentially will allow you to store a "bigger" image initially at higher quality.

Don't know what you do regarding action photography but the Xsi is listed at 3.5 fps where the Xti is only 3. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference.

I didn't step down into each spec to compare but those two, plus being able to shoot from the screen, if you so elect, is nice as well.

I've got a 30D that goes at 5 fps, had the opportunity to purchase a 5d (for an extremely good price) and elected not to since it is designed more as a still camera for wedding, etc. and not action photography. Yes, was a full frame, etc. but didn't meet the needs. I digress...

You sound like me when I'm looking at stuff like this - you're mind is made up (or at least leaning in a direction) now you're just building justification for that decision. I'm with you there. Between the price difference and the increased bells and whistles $120 difference is nothing when you're talking about the cost that we put into these DSLRs, factoring glass, flash, etc.[/quote]

pretty much nailed my position. circuit city needs to have a sale, i have a 10% off coupon. they occasionally doa $100-150 deal on the DSLR's, if i can score the XSI for $700-750 ill jump on it.. ive got all summer... training camp time is when ill start getting antsy.

Thanks for the comments.. i assumed the 3 to 3.5 wasnt very meaningful, but your not the only one who mentioned it to me in terms of the sports shooting i do.

Thanks again.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='667030' date='May 20 2008, 10:44 PM']yea i dont know that I have outgrown it, but 5 years from now im wondering if ill regret not having the XSi, as the XTi is basically a modern XT with a few upgraded specs, I would love to have 203 more lenses, tho I have a decent selection with the kit lens, the 70-300 IS USM, and the 60MM Macro.

I would like a walkaround lens like the kit lens with IS, another mid range zoom lens, and a 400-500mm telephoto, the 400 is a grand minimum and the 50 is like $6,000 tho, so thats a pipe dream.

now the XSi COMES WITH a kit lens WITH IS. so it kinda kills two birds with one stone. its probably the next lens i woulda bought, so XTI = $500-ish +$180 for lens = $680, XSI -$800ish, so $120 difference still.. and about $120-200 in needed accessory replacements..(over time not required right away)

hmmmmm

decisions decisions.[/quote]
5 years from now you'll be ready to graduate to a Nikon :P

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='667097' date='May 20 2008, 01:19 PM']5 years from now you'll be ready to graduate to a Nikon :P[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='667115' date='May 20 2008, 02:15 PM']no steps backwards for me thanks...[/quote]

Exactly...

Look at any major sporting event and see the photographers there...

85-90% shooting digital shoot Canon. B)

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='667119' date='May 21 2008, 04:46 AM']Exactly...

Look at any major sporting event and see the photographers there...

85-90% shooting digital shoot Canon. B)[/quote]
I guess those Nikons he carries with him are the reason my brother in law was only [i]nominated [/i]for a Pulitzer :mellow:

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='667202' date='May 20 2008, 07:55 PM']I guess those Nikons he carries with him are the reason my brother in law was only [i]nominated [/i]for a Pulitzer :mellow:[/quote]

couldnt have done it with a canon? the equipment makes the man? :mellow:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='667210' date='May 21 2008, 10:04 AM']couldnt have done it with a canon? the equipment makes the man? :mellow:[/quote]
It was a joke, howdy ;)

Just like the "graduating to a Nikon" comment...

And it looks like someone in the family exaggerated. Though he's won multiple awards, I don't see anywhere that he was actually nominated for a pulitzer on the interwebz.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='667216' date='May 20 2008, 08:34 PM']It was a joke, howdy ;)

And it looks like someone in the family exaggerated. Though he's won multiple awards, I don't see anywhere that he was actually nominated for a pulitzer on the interwebz.[/quote]
It is all good. I never said Nikon wasn't a good camera. If I was shooting film and not digital I'd shoot Nikon.

And, I was going to say that your family member must be in that 10-15% then... :P

Both good cameras.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='667216' date='May 20 2008, 08:34 PM']It was a joke, howdy ;)

And it looks like someone in the family exaggerated. Though he's won multiple awards, I don't see anywhere that he was actually nominated for a pulitzer on the interwebz.[/quote]
word... i thought we were both telling jokes... id hope no one was truely engaging in a nikon vs canon geek war...

:lol:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='667229' date='May 20 2008, 09:35 PM']word... i thought we were both telling jokes... id hope no one was truely engaging in a nikon vs canon geek war...

:lol:[/quote]

BLU-RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY

:o

:unsure:

:cripes:

:closedeyes:

:rsju31uh9:

ive decided to get the XSI to no surprise, im waiting for circuit city or best buy to drop the price to something that starts with a $7XX.XX instead of an 8

so worst case im shooting for end of june/early july..

if anyone sees any deals lemme know.. im going for the kit (since the kit lens has IS its worth the $100 difference ...)

Archived