TKO left because he was fed up.

And with Chad, I just don't know anymore... I see a pretty sizable priority change with Chad, shifting from being the best WR he can be----over to simply: money.

So it seems he just wants a bigger stage and the bigger endorsements that come with it. There will be no big time shoe contracts for players on small market teams that haven't won a playoff game in 18 years. I suspect he feels the ineptitude of the front office is costing him money in this way.

I saw the same thing with Willie Anderson, but OLinemen typically don't get endorsement deals, so there wasn't the same incentive to seek out a bigger market, especially after the new contract. At some point Big Willie's idol changed from a sports figure to Warren Buffett, I'll put it that way. And that explains why Willie has been the perfect Bengal, always walking the company line. Because winning isn't top priority to Willie any more than it is to the front office. As long as he can still walk and the checks still cash, Big Willie has no problems.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='672857' date='Jun 13 2008, 04:06 PM']fwiw, Drew's on NFL Live saying Chad will play the season.

Drew's claiming it's not about money.[/quote]

ESPN actually did a great job of interviewing Rosenhaus. They read Rosendick's own quote from April of 2006 when he said that Chad's new contract was "historic" and that he "never had reached a new deal with this many years remaining on a current contract" which was a "credit to Chad and BENGALS MANAGEMENT"!!! Rosenhaus did not like this question. He replied that "this isn't about economics" which we know is not 100% true, and then he said he it was about Chad's issues with the Bengals (that he wouldn't discuss on national tv). ESPN then went on to ask Rosendick about his other unhappy clients such as Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Shockey, etc.

It seems that ESPN was taking a different view of the Chad situation and a different view of Drew Rosenhaus (and not in a positive way). Rosenhaus concluded that Chad would "honor his contract" (by being at training camp and playing this year) but that he would be "misrepresenting Chad" if he stated that everything was ok. Finally, he said that he would continue discussions with the Bengals.

[quote name='Penn St. Bengal' post='672888' date='Jun 13 2008, 03:51 PM'][b]ESPN actually did a great job of interviewing Rosenhaus. They read Rosendick's own quote from April of 2006 when he said that Chad's new contract was "historic" and that he "never had reached a new deal with this many years remaining on a current contract" which was a "credit to Chad and BENGALS MANAGEMENT"!!! Rosenhaus did not like this question.[/b] He replied that "this isn't about economics" which we know is not 100% true, and then he said he it was about Chad's issues with the Bengals (that he wouldn't discuss on national tv). ESPN then went on to ask Rosendick about his other unhappy clients such as Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, Jeremy Shockey, etc.

It seems that ESPN was taking a different view of the Chad situation and a different view of Drew Rosenhaus (and not in a positive way). Rosenhaus concluded that Chad would "honor his contract" but that he would be "misrepresenting Chad" if he stated that everything was ok. Finally, he said that he would continue discussions with the Bengals.[/quote]

good recap. Yea I was waiting for him to say "I'm not the one who thinks Chad needs a new deal, that's all on Chad. I'm just doing what my client asks." and throw Chad under the bus to save face.

Why did Corey want out again?

[quote]As he walked into the locker room on Wednesday, Dillon said aloud, "I want out. Trade me to Dallas."

Dillon said later Wednesday that he was joking about Dallas -- the trading deadline was Oct. 14 -- but not about his desire for change. He has two years left on his contract.

"I would prefer to be in a place where I'm appreciated," Dillon said. "It could be anywhere. Who knows? I'm just going to get to a place where I'm happy and I feel appreciated and they recognize my talents and I can achieve my goals.

"Wherever that may be, I don't know. But that's the first thing on my offseason list."

When reporters approached, Dillon shooed them away, saying, "Beat it. I don't like you guys." He then told the team's Web site employee and a reporter from the Dayton Daily News that he's unhappy with his limited role and desperately wants to leave.[/quote]

Sound like anyone else in recent Bengals news?

And now... name that Johnson.... :

[quote]By 1998, Johnson had became extremely frustrated with Cincinnati, which had not recorded a winning season since 1990. After a 33-20 loss at home during the 1998 season, Johnson publicly denounced the Bengals management and said if he was a Cincinnati fan with season tickets, he would probably sell them. Johnson was cut by the Bengals the following day, and subsequently signed with the Patriots in the following season. He left the Bengals as their all-time leading punter with 746 punts for 32,196 yards and 186 punts in the 20.[/quote]

I'll try to avoid beating this dead horse and throw out a couple of different ideas here;

1. Everyone loves a trainwreck. As much as we complain about the overblown media coverage of The Chad Show, maybe they really are just giving the fans what they want. Which threads on this site are almost guaranteed to be 4-5 pages long? 'nuff said.

2. Chad might actually be a polarizing factor that [b]helps[/b] the team chemistry. CP's already made comments about the team coming together without Chad around. The more he sulks and acts like an ass, the more everyone else is trying to go about their business and succeed without him. I don't think anyone in that locker room cares that much about Chad one way or the other. To paraphrase Big Will "the leaders on this team dont put in gold teeth before they go play".

3. The Corey Dillon reference is interesting; I think a big part of his problem with the team was that he was starting to have to share the spotlight. For years he was the only recognized star player on the squad. Same thing with Chad, now that he's having to share the stage he's turned into the high-maintenance diva that has to be coaxed out of her trailer every day so the director can shoot another scene. The probability that he's blown through his signing bonus on diamond-encrusted aquariums and fossilized teradactyl-egg omelettes is secondary.

4. About the money; this whole stunt is going to cost Chad millions over the rest of his career. Look at TO; once you've got that kind of reputation as an asshole, your endorsement deals are going to disappear. Nobody has any sympathy for the malcontent millionaire pro athlete. His plan of going into movies when he retires is pretty well out the window, too. Even his next football contract, assuming the Bengals do release him at some point, is going to be short-term and with far less guaranteed money than he received before. Add to all this the difference between being part of a "Montana/Rice" or "Manning/Harrison" - like duo, and being some short-term mercenary free-agent in a stagnant offense like Miami or Washington. His worth as a celebrity is never going to be what it was before he shat his diaper, either. From a career standpoint this is a terrible move in anything but the short-term. Unless, of course, you're an agent working on commission.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='672926' date='Jun 13 2008, 05:16 PM']I'll try to avoid beating this dead horse and throw out a couple of different ideas here;

1. Everyone loves a trainwreck. As much as we complain about the overblown media coverage of The Chad Show, maybe they really are just giving the fans what they want. Which threads on this site are almost guaranteed to be 4-5 pages long? 'nuff said.

[b]2. Chad might actually be a polarizing factor that [b]helps[/b] the team chemistry. CP's already made comments about the team coming together without Chad around. The more he sulks and acts like an ass, the more everyone else is trying to go about their business and succeed without him. I don't think anyone in that locker room cares that much about Chad one way or the other. To paraphrase Big Will "the leaders on this team dont put in gold teeth before they go play". [/b]

3. The Corey Dillon reference is interesting; I think a big part of his problem with the team was that he was starting to have to share the spotlight. For years he was the only recognized star player on the squad. Same thing with Chad, now that he's having to share the stage he's turned into the high-maintenance diva that has to be coaxed out of her trailer every day so the director can shoot another scene. The probability that he's blown through his signing bonus on diamond-encrusted aquariums and fossilized teradactyl-egg omelettes is secondary.

4. About the money; this whole stunt is going to cost Chad millions over the rest of his career. Look at TO; once you've got that kind of reputation as an asshole, your endorsement deals are going to disappear. Nobody has any sympathy for the malcontent millionaire pro athlete. His plan of going into movies when he retires is pretty well out the window, too. Even his next football contract, assuming the Bengals do release him at some point, is going to be short-term and with far less guaranteed money than he received before. Add to all this the difference between being part of a "Montana/Rice" or "Manning/Harrison" - like duo, and being some short-term mercenary free-agent in a stagnant offense like Miami or Washington. His worth as a celebrity is never going to be what it was before he shat his diaper, either. From a career standpoint this is a terrible move in anything but the short-term. Unless, of course, you're an agent working on commission.[/quote]

With regards to #2, I absolutely do think that this whole Chad mess has made Carson a better leader. It's forced him to speak out and take more of a leadership role. Just listen to some of his recent interviews.

I dont know about you guys, but the chad situation seems to be getting more and more like the whole Kobe thing...Kobe said he wanted to be traded and wouldnt play no matter what bla bla bla, just like chad did, then kobe ended up showing up like chad and wasnt neccessarily happy, then when they started to win everything became better. If chad is truly just upset because he thinks the bengals didnt get good enough to win a championship, then if we come out and win a few games I could see him doing the exact same thing kobe did.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='673178' date='Jun 14 2008, 04:55 PM']I dont know about you guys, but the chad situation seems to be getting more and more like the whole Kobe thing...Kobe said he wanted to be traded and wouldnt play no matter what bla bla bla, just like chad did, then kobe ended up showing up like chad and wasnt neccessarily happy, then when they started to win everything became better. If chad is truly just upset because he thinks the bengals didnt get good enough to win a championship, then if we come out and win a few games I could see him doing the exact same thing kobe did.[/quote]

Fuck him anyway.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='673178' date='Jun 14 2008, 04:55 PM']I dont know about you guys, but the chad situation seems to be getting more and more like the whole Kobe thing...Kobe said he wanted to be traded and wouldnt play no matter what bla bla bla, just like chad did, then kobe ended up showing up like chad and wasnt neccessarily happy, then when they started to win everything became better. If chad is truly just upset because he thinks the bengals didnt get good enough to win a championship, then if we come out and win a few games I could see him doing the exact same thing kobe did.[/quote]

how could anyone think its anything but moneY?

he said it was about money. he said its always about money.

[quote name='o'nealfan24' post='673237' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:23 AM'][b] [size=7]i dont know about chad right now that whole practice fer fiveminutes and leave readmy signature please its imortant to the whole bengals nation!!! :1441: kick his STEALers ass :466: [/size][/b][/quote][size=7][b]
HOLY SHIT, CAPITAL LETTERS, BOLDED WORDS, AND LARGER FONTS!!!!!!!!!!1

I WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR NEWSLETTER!q!!!!!!!!!![/b][/size]

[quote][size=5][b]Little talk, more action from Chad[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]WR shows signs of usual on-field self as minicamp comes to close[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Chad Johnson remained quiet off the field Saturday after the last of the Bengals' five minicamp practices, declining interview requests, but the wide receiver participated more fully and flashed some of his familiar energy and personality during the two-hour workout.

He ran with the first-team offense, caught passes and even practiced blocking.

Still, there is the issue of Johnson's lingering ankle injury to address - not to mention whether the unhappiness he had expressed since January is in the past.

"He came out and worked the last two days, and I think it's been good for him to get back into the flow of things," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "We still have to get some clarity on the ankle and being able to deal with that because it is something we dealt with a year ago. He always wants to play and do things, but we have to make sure. ... He has some time in his career, so he needs to make sure that he makes a good decision that way."

Johnson did make one comment to a television camera on his way in from the practice fields.

"Vote for (Barack) Obama," he said.

Lewis on Saturday downplayed the addition of Charles Collins, Johnson's position coach at Santa Monica (Calif.) Junior College, to the Bengals' coaching staff for minicamp and training camp as an effort to get Johnson back into the fold.

Collins and Fred Farrier, in his fourth season as head coach at Kentucky State University, are working with the Bengals' staff this preseason as part of the NFL's Minority Coaching Fellowship program.

"He's got an association with Chad, Antonio (Chatman) and T.J. (Houshmandzadeh). (Offensive coordinator) Bob (Bratkowski) has a long history with him," Lewis said of Collins.

"I've gotten to know him. I like the way he talks football," Lewis added. "He watches our games. He talks with me after the games about what he saw. He's been quite a reference for me. I thought this was an opportunity this summer to involve him. That relationship (with Johnson) is purely coincidental the way the other thing works out."

Collins, who previously has had a coaching internship with the San Francisco 49ers, laughingly called Johnson his "unwanted son."

"I think it's more to coach and get the young guys up to speed technically and just get Chad back to playing football the way he played a few years ago," Collins said of his role. "Right now he is a shadow of himself. And the big thing is to get him back grounded."

Johnson has developed several side interests, but Collins wants to get the five-time Pro Bowl receiver refocused on football.

"It has taken from his offseason work, when your energy has kind of been splintered in so many directions," Collins said. "This week he came in not going to practice. And my attitude was, 'You're going to practice.' We wanted to make sure he got going."

Johnson and Bratkowski talked several times on the field during the practices. At one point, the coach told the player, "You look rusty."

"Nobody likes to hear that," Bratkowski said afterward.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Johnson, on Friday told ESPN Johnson would honor his contract and report to training camp. Johnson previously had indicated he might not return to the Bengals.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/SPT02/806150432"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/806150432[/url]

Archived