"I'm Voting Republican Because _______"

BlackJesus

I don't let BJ affect my political views. I am my own person and while he's a fine dude to get a beer with, he drives my political views not an iota.

I'm going to vote rethuglican because I want to maintain my wasteful suburban lifestyle. No other party will stick its head in the sand on my behalf quite like the GOP. Public transit is for poor people and minorities. I want me and me alone in my car sitting on the expressway to work every day. I don't care if it's for 1.5 hours each way as long as gas is less than $2 a gallon. Oh shit, what now?

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='673017' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:04 AM']I don't let BJ affect my political views. I am my own person and while he's a fine dude to get a beer with, he drives my political views not an iota.

I'm going to vote rethuglican because I want to maintain my wasteful suburban lifestyle. No other party will stick its head in the sand on my behalf quite like the GOP. Public transit is for poor people and minorities. I want me and me alone in my car sitting on the expressway to work every day. I don't care if it's for 1.5 hours each way as long as gas is less than $2 a gallon. Oh shit, what now?[/quote]

Plus it's so much fun running over the millions of liberals who are riding their bikes everywhere, or walking, or getting off the bus. Why it's hard to drive down the road with so many bikes everywhere. You just know every one of them who are bitching about me, live the perfect, most "green" lifestyles, otherwise they would be the biggest hypocrites ever. I'm sure they all use nothing but alternative energy sources, never travel just for leisure, no way they fly somewhere they don't have to. Self righteous do-good fuckers. -_-

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673027' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:43 PM']Plus it's so much fun running over the millions of liberals who are riding their bikes everywhere, or walking, or getting off the bus. Why it's hard to drive down the road with so many bikes everywhere. You just know every one of them who are bitching about me, live the perfect, most "green" lifestyles, otherwise they would be the biggest hypocrites ever. I'm sure they all use nothing but alternative energy sources, never travel just for leisure, no way they fly somewhere they don't have to. Self righteous do-good fuckers. -_-[/quote]
:lol:
I'm sure there's a stat somewhere that absolutely proves that Jeanine Garofolo and Al Franken carpool together in a hybrid car more often than anyone else (while Keith Olbermann hitchikes to work to reduce his carbon footprint).

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673027' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:43 PM']Plus it's so much fun running over the millions of liberals who are riding their bikes everywhere, or walking, or getting off the bus. Why it's hard to drive down the road with so many bikes everywhere. You just know every one of them who are bitching about me, live the perfect, most "green" lifestyles, otherwise they would be the biggest hypocrites ever. I'm sure they all use nothing but alternative energy sources, never travel just for leisure, no way they fly somewhere they don't have to. Self righteous do-good fuckers. -_-[/quote]

[img]http://www.hecklerspray.com/imppix/photos/uncategorized/oscar_the_grouch_big_bird_carol_spinney_.jpg[/img]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673027' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:43 AM']Plus it's so much fun running over the millions of liberals who are riding their bikes everywhere, or walking, or getting off the bus. Why it's hard to drive down the road with so many bikes everywhere. You just know every one of them who are bitching about me, live the perfect, most "green" lifestyles, otherwise they would be the biggest hypocrites ever. I'm sure they all use nothing but alternative energy sources, never travel just for leisure, no way they fly somewhere they don't have to. Self righteous do-good fuckers. -_-[/quote]
do you consistently find yourself the recipient of lectures from people on bicycles or something?

christ, other people are allowed to use the road too you know...

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='673061' date='Jun 14 2008, 06:38 AM'][url="http://blog.mises.org/archives/008195.asp"]Some insight worth noting.[/url][/quote]

[b]The damn "Austrian School" of thought ... is one of the prime reasons we are in such a mess right now[/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='673068' date='Jun 14 2008, 07:47 AM'][b]The damn "Austrian School" of thought ... is one of the prime reasons we are in such a mess right now[/b][/quote]
I came to that conclusion better than 25 years ago when Milton Friedman was enjoying his turn in the sun. Monetarism isn't economics and the Vienna to Chicago link is pretty apparent for those who do the digging. I laid out the connection in another thread yesterday, though perhaps I ought to have added Menger and Ricardo to the chain, too.

I wish more people were curious about how modern Libertarianism draws its heritage from a pastiche of radical Jeffersonian republicanism (in politics) and downright pro-feudal Hapsburg Imperial economics. At first glance it seems to be a match made in hell. Yet, it endures. And one reason it endures is that both of these "causal streams" have much more in common than is apparent from that first glance. The emphasis on individual liberty contra government is at the core. And while the jacobins and the feudalists have slightly different takes on this central idea, it's enough to allow them to cultivate some sense of community.

And, if you got the author's point in his brief, then one could even conclude that Libertarians themselves are among the biggest offenders of his idea: that birds of a feather flock together, and do so on the basis of superficialities, rather than ideas and their resulting policy options. Most Libertarians would disagree with my charge, claiming there is a big difference between all the mud-slinging about personal peccadilloes among and between candidates in our political process, and their steadfast adherence to a set of principles which is (purportedly) not reliant on dissing the "others" who don't see the world their way.

Social creatures that we are, it's natural to associate with other like-minded people. But the author's warning is an important one. I think he should have hammered it home harder than he did. We had better start paying a lot more attention to policy than to personality if we are to find our way through this mess. And that will mean some form of collaboration and occasional compromise with those who are not exactly of like-mind. The alternative is so fucking scary that I won't even get into it, other than to suggest that a lot of folks will die who in saner times would have had the chance to lead productive lives. What's happening now is only a harbinger.

So, while I agree with you on the economics side of things, BJ, I keep remembering autumn 2002. I was going to as many local antiwar meetings and rallies as I could, suggesting to folks that we were facing some really bad juju. And while many of the old antiwar "left" from the Vietnam period had gotten soft, and while many clueless youngsters thought that the antiwar drive provided a wonderful venue for a renaissance in crappy bongo drumming and silly dancing (literally), the toughest, most steadfast mofos out there who had a sense of what really was at stake were the Libertarians who hadn't gone neo-con the way Cato did.

I don't have to agree with or be best friends with someone to get into a foxhole with them, or to invite them into my foxhole. I just have to be fairly confident that they are tough and conscientious, and would protect my back as I would protect theirs. And I would hope that they thought similarly of me.

[quote]We had better start paying a lot more attention to policy than to personality if we are to find our way through this mess.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, but it's damn near an impossible mission, these days.

Even the folks who WANT to go out of their way to learn policy, are programmed to get their info from the media. And the media does nothing but foment the constant right v left insanity, at the expense of wasting any opportunity to actually discuss policy instead of personality. And I'm quite sure it doesn't happen by accident <_<

Finding an informative, non-partisan source of info is a huge challenge. Especially for a mother or father with 2.3 kids, a mortgage, etc. The true irony, imo, is that those who listen to talk radio, read the paper, watch tv news, etc, trying their hardest to be informed, are the ones most likely to be left to drink the kool-aid of one flavor or another, not because they want to, but because kool-aid is the only beverage on the menu. <_<

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='673059' date='Jun 14 2008, 03:55 AM']do you consistently find yourself the recipient of lectures from people on bicycles or something?

christ, other people are allowed to use the road too you know...[/quote]

Seems you missed the point of my post. All the liberals I know are driving right next to me on the highway, while bitching about me driving on the highway. There are no masses riding bicycles, or practicing what they preach. At least not enough to notice.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673116' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:56 PM']Seems you missed the point of my post. All the liberals I know are driving right next to me on the highway, while bitching about me driving on the highway. There are no masses riding bicycles, or practicing what they preach. At least not enough to notice.[/quote]

They're all driving right next to you because in most of America, there is no viable alternative...at least not yet. The only way there will be is if the Demos keep the Senate and take the House and White House then grow a pair.

FWIW, I don't own a bicycle or a car.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='673145' date='Jun 14 2008, 01:48 PM']They're all driving right next to you because in most of America, there is no viable alternative...at least not yet. The only way there will be is if the Demos keep the Senate and take the House and White House then grow a pair.

FWIW, I don't own a bicycle or a car.[/quote]

You also live in an area that is walkable and probably has decent public transportation.

Around here, the blocks are nearly 1/2 mile long and there is no public transportation to speak of...

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='673145' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:48 PM']They're all driving right next to you because in most of America, there is no viable alternative...at least not yet. The only way there will be is if the Demos keep the Senate and take the House and White House then grow a pair.

FWIW, I don't own a bicycle or a car.[/quote]

There are almost always alternatives. Maybe not perfect alternatives, but everyone is capable of doing what they can. It's just easier to point fingers at others than to look in the mirror sometimes. Now that may or may not apply to you, but it certainly applies to many celebrities, and many people on the left who bitch the loudest.

If you think electing all democrats is the answer, good luck with that.

Here in Dayton, there's a pretty extensive bus system. You can get from just about anywhere, to just about anywhere with a little effort. The only people on those buses are the poor people. Why aren't democrats packing those buses?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='673151' date='Jun 15 2008, 05:26 AM']You also live in an area that is walkable and probably has decent public transportation.

Around here, the blocks are nearly 1/2 mile long and there is no public transportation to speak of...[/quote]
What happened to the almight monorail? Pretty much just for tourists? (not to mention it doesn't exactly branch out through town, I suspect :unsure: )

DC metro system is tolerable, if you live right in the middle of it. Though if you have to commute to reach it, it's just not worth the effort.

Yes, public transportation is good here, and one reason it works is the population density is high enough to support or even (depending on your point of view) require it. The end of cheap oil is going to force everyone in the country to re-think their lifestyle choices. People who live in sprawlville today moved there for what were probably valid reasons. The rules have now changed, and I don't believe the GOP will adapt to the times as quickly as the Demos will.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673167' date='Jun 14 2008, 03:19 PM']I'm going to be away for a while, but I want to respond to some of the "points" made in the ( LOL x 10 ) video.

Here's a response to the first slam in the video.

[/quote]

One of the reasons Im glad she didnt win, and hope obama doesnt bring her on board.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='673154' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:28 PM']Here in Dayton, there's a pretty extensive bus system. You can get from just about anywhere, to just about anywhere with a little effort. The only people on those buses are the poor people. Why aren't democrats packing those buses?[/quote]

I lived in Dayton for 4 years, and you and I both know calling it "extensive" is a bit of hyperbole. The service is generally poor, and I lived in Dayton proper where the service was probably as good as anywhere in the city.

General Motors sabotaged it, just as they did so many bus companies in the mid 20th century.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='673184' date='Jun 14 2008, 05:30 PM']I lived in Dayton for 4 years, and you and I both know calling it "extensive" is a bit of hyperbole. The service is generally poor, and I lived in Dayton proper where the service was probably as good as anywhere in the city.

General Motors sabotaged it, just as they did so many bus companies in the mid 20th century.[/quote]

Like I said, you can get from just about anywhere, to just about anywhere with a little effort. I'm sure the service would be better if people were actually riding them. I'm not sure what GM did that prevents anyone from taking the bus if they want to.

The point is, leading by example, rather than by pointing fingers might actually be effective.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='673155' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:29 PM']What happened to the almight monorail? Pretty much just for tourists? (not to mention it doesn't exactly branch out through town, I suspect :unsure: )

DC metro system is tolerable, if you live right in the middle of it. Though if you have to commute to reach it, it's just not worth the effort.[/quote]

Monorail?? :rofl:

That only covers maybe 1/3 of the area encompassing The Strip, let alone the 99.99999999% of the city.

And for the distance it does cover, they still can't keep shit from falling off of it onto the streets.

Archived