Who was "The Greatest American"?

CTBengalsFan

[b]* I could have swore the question read "Greatest American President" when I answered it ... :hmm:

CT, did you edit it ?

Anyhow ... if it's open to all Americans ...

[size=3][color="#FF0000"][u]My [i]Non-President List[/i] would be:[/u][/color][/size]

1. Martin Luther King Jr.

2. Thomas Paine

3. John Brown

4. Eugene V Debs

5. Emma Goldman[/b]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='678864' date='Jul 14 2008, 12:15 PM']Interpreted as the one I'd like to be most "like":
Benjamin Franklin

As most loved:
George Washington

As most exemplary of "American Dream":
Abraham Lincoln

As influential in a hardcore institutional way:
Alexander Hamilton[/quote]

Didn't Benjamin Franklin....you know....get around with the ladies quite a bit? Is that why you hold him in such high regard, or is it that he was such the statesman?

:)

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='690089' date='Aug 21 2008, 05:51 PM']Didn't Benjamin Franklin....you know....get around with the ladies quite a bit? Is that why you hold him in such high regard, or is it that he was such the statesman?

:)[/quote]
Actually, for his activity in his middle ages--the science, local politics. Plus the rest. He was a restrained "ladies man" and that aspect of his personality is way overblown. It's not like has was running around Paris with the Declaration in one hand and his dick in the other.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='690099' date='Aug 21 2008, 06:33 PM']John Adams, George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Gen Eisenhower, FDR, Gen Pershing, Teddy Roosevelt, [b]Sylvanus Thayer.[/b][/quote]
Thumbs way up for this fellow!!!!!!

[quote name='sois' post='693833' date='Aug 31 2008, 08:01 PM']Robert Oppenheimer[/quote]

Oppenheimer? If we're talking scientists, I'd prefer Linus Pauling over Oppenheimer anyday. In fact, the reason Pauling refused to join the Manhattan project, other than being a pacifist, was that Oppenheimer went to Pauling's place one day while Linus was away and tried to convince Linus's wife to run away with him to Mexico. Oh, and Oppenheimer was also the kind of noisy douche in class that had to open his mouth and have a word about every little thing. The other students petitioned the professor to make him shut the hell up. We all know and hate douches like that.

Archived