** [UPDATE] COLLINS, CRAIG, SHIRLEY, SHERRY, URRUTIA AND SIGNED!!!** Deals begin - Bengals.com

[quote][size=5][b]Deals begin [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 14, 2008

The Bengals have agreed to terms with their first draft choice of the Class of '08 in fifth-rounder Jason Shirley. Bardia Ghahremani, Shirley's agent, said Monday his client has agreed to a four-year deal.

The 6-5, 340-pound Shirley, a defensive tackle from Fresno State, is facing another trial next month after a jury couldn't reach a verdict in his DUI case earlier this summer.

But Ghahremani said he doesn't expect Shirley to miss time because of the schedule.

"He's excited about moving past this and playing football," Ghahremani said. "He's just so happy to get the chance that the Bengals have given him. The important thing is for him to get in there and prove that he can play."

With two weeks before the first training camp practice, other late-round picks figure to get in the fold this week. The Bengals don't announce contracts until the deal is signed.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6872"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6872[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='678957' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:06 PM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6872"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6872[/url][/quote]

This is good news on a number of fronts. 1) The Bengals aren't concerned about Shirley's legal woes and/or ramifications from them 2) The time missed due to said legal issues wasn't a death blow to him either.

I have to say that Shirley's measurables are certainly appealing. However, we said the same for Matthias and look how things went for him.

Either way, good to see a deal get done. Hopefully more soon to follow.

Alright!

Now let's sign someone that might actually be on the active roster on gameday before week 8!

Sorry, BJ; but in those mini-camps Shirley looked about as raw as it gets. There are probably high-school freshmen going out for their JV squads who look better in drills. Granted they aren't 400lbs, either, but if this guy is anything but a long-term project, I'd be greatly surprised.

Which I should add is fine by me, he's a 5th-round pick after all.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='679029' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:57 PM']Yay! It will suck for Shirley when he gets relegated to the practice squad though.[/quote]

with so much skill in the new DT's its tough to keep both jt and myers on the roster, but with our injury history its hard to risk so much depth on youth... we could carry 5 dt's and jt be the backup de.. but frankly we have a handful of young DE's in the depth chart too, rucker, henderson, etc..

Geathers
odom
jt
myers
peko
sims
shirley
henderson
rucker
burton
fanene

two of these chaps wont be on the roster...

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='679035' date='Jul 14 2008, 06:20 PM'][b]Shirley's gonna be another Stacy Andrews ...

in 4 years the Bengals will be tagging him as a franchise DT because they can't afford his contract. [/b][/quote]

actually the bengals would be smart enough to sign him to a 5 years deal in 2 years to avoid such an instance.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='679036' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:22 PM']actually the bengals would be smart enough to sign him to a 5 years deal in 2 years to avoid such an instance.[/quote]

Yeah, but if he's the truth, along with Sims, can they really afford to lock up 3 hopefully premiere DT's? Not to mention Geathers and Odom. One of em would have to be the odd man out

[quote name='GoCommando' post='679045' date='Jul 14 2008, 06:53 PM']Yeah, but if he's the truth, along with Sims, can they really afford to lock up 3 hopefully premiere DT's? Not to mention Geathers and Odom. One of em would have to be the odd man out[/quote]
well sims will likely get a 5 year deal, so with a year left peko will be close to the end of his deal, and he will either be a mega superstar wanting 20 mil a year(by then you know inflation is) or a solid average guy affordible to keep around, having three in the stable seems like a stellar plan, and having to pick wihch super awsome player we dont ahve room for on the defensive line sounds like a great problem to have. but injury, performance or price will easily weed one of them out by then.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='679048' date='Jul 14 2008, 06:04 PM']well sims will likely get a 5 year deal, so with a year left peko will be close to the end of his deal, and he will either be a mega superstar wanting 20 mil a year(by then you know inflation is) or a solid average guy affordible to keep around, [b]having three in the stable seems like a stellar plan, and having to pick wihch super awsome player we dont ahve room for on the defensive line sounds like a great problem to have.[/b] but injury, performance or price will easily weed one of them out by then.[/quote]

certainly would be a nice problem to have in a few years and would leave open the option of a switch to a 3-4 base if they so choose.

[b]Bengals | Urrutia agrees to deal[/b]
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:42:25 -0700

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals WR Mario Urrutia agreed to a four-year deal with minimum base salaries. The deal included a $39,000 signing bonus. Urrutia will compete with WR Jerome Simpson, WR Andre Caldwell and WR Antonio Chatman for playing time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Bengals | Sherry agrees to deal[/b]
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:42:02 -0700

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals TE Matt Sherry agreed to a four-year deal with minimum base salaries. The deal includes a $40,000 signing bonus. Sherry will compete with TE Nate Lawrie for the No. 3 tight end job.

Update from Bengals.com

[quote]The Bengals' efforts to sign their draft picks in time for the first training camp practice two weeks from Monday got underway with agreements for fifth-rounder Jason Shirley, sixth-rounder Matt Sherry, seventh-rounder Mario Urrutia, and maybe an understanding to get things started with first-rounder Keith Rivers.

It's believed that the conversations with Rivers' agents regarding parameters could begin as soon as Monday night.

Yet no sign of a long-term deal for franchise player Stacy Andrews looked to be in sight as Tuesday neared. The Bengals, rebuffed for two seasons in their bid to get Andrews locked up, are apparently ready for the July 15 deadline to pass.

Without a long-term contract before the end of Tuesday, the Bengals can't do one with him until the end of the season, meaning they carry his massive $7.5 million salary on the salary cap for the rest of the year.

Shirley
Bardia Ghahremani, Shirley's agent, said Monday his client has agreed to a four-year deal and becomes the first draft pick unofficially into the fold. Later Monday Joe Linta, the agent for Sherry, a tight end from Villanova, and Urrutia, a wide receiver from Louisville, also said his clients had deals for four years.

The other late-round picks, guys seventh-rounder Angelo Craig and sixth-rounder Corey Lynch, figure to come in by the end of week. The Bengals have no comment and don't announce contracts until the deals are signed.

The 6-5, 340-pound Shirley, a defensive tackle from Fresno State, is facing another trial next month after a jury couldn't reach a verdict in his DUI case earlier this summer.

But Ghahremani said he doesn't expect Shirley to miss time because of the schedule.

"He's excited about moving past this and playing football," Ghahremani said. "He's just so happy to get the chance that the Bengals have given him. The important thing is for him to get in there and prove that he can play."[/quote]

Last year's #9 pick, Ted Ginn, signed a 5 year deal for a total of $19.6 million. Per Rotoworld, the deal included a whopping $14 million in guarantees and bonuses. Other internet sources I found put the figure at $13 million either in total or in guaranteed money. That at least give parameters (assuming the NFL's ridiculous annual inflation rate for 1st round picks of 10-15%) of somewhere around $15 million in guaranteed money.

[quote][size=5][b]3 Bengals rookies agree to deals[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Monday, July 14, 2008, 11:23 PM

[b]SHIRLEY, SHERRY, URRUTIA

REPORTEDLY IN THE FOLD[/b]

The Bengals have reportedly agreed to terms on four-year contracts with three rookie draft picks — fifth-round defensive tackle Jason Shirley (Fresno State), sixth-round tight end Matt Sherry (Villanova) and seventh-round wide receiver Mario Urrutia (Louisville).

But the club won’t confirm the deals until the contracts are signed.

The 6-foot-5, 338-pound Shirley is a dominant physical specimen, but a high-risk player because of off-the-field problems.

Shirley went on trial for DUI in June, but the judge declared a mistrial in the case. Shirley is due to be tried again next month.

“I know I’m under a microscope,” Shirley said. “But I know what happened to me at Fresno will soon be behind me. I learned a great deal from it. I feel I became a better man from that situation.”

Sherry (6-4, 255) is a fast-developing receiver with soft hands, and is working hard to improve his blocking.

“My goal is to just keep coming along and get better every day,” Sherry said. “I’m in a good position. I’m behind two veteran guys (Reggie Kelly and Ben Utecht) who are helping me along the way. Every day is another step.”

Urrutia (6-5, 232) is a big target with good speed and hands. He’ll have an opportunity to be a factor in the red zone because he has the size to overpower smaller defensive backs.

“That’s my game,” Urrutia said. “Throw it up, I’m going to go get it. I use my height, my ability and all my strength.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...on/chickludwig/[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Report: Bengals sign Shirley[/b][/size]

By PFW staff
July 14, 2008

The Bengals have agreed to a four-year contract with DT Jason Shirley, the team's Web site reported Monday. Shirley, a fifth-round pick, is the first of the club's 10 rookies to sign.

Shirley, the 145th overall pick, played only three games in his senior season at Fresno State because of three off-the-field incidents. He will be retried in August on misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence, hit and run and driving with a blood-alcohol content of 0.08 percent or higher stemming from an October 2007 incident. A first trial on the charges resulted in a hung jury. According to The Fresno Bee, the trial is scheduled to begin on August 27.

In Pro Football Weekly's 2008 Draft Preview, draft expert Nolan Nawrocki wrote that Shirley "is a classic underacheiver who could be great if he ever puts it all together." Nawrocki also noted that Shirley "has made some bad decisions off the field and (his) character is a concern."[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Cincinnati/Features/2008/wilky071408a.htm"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A...ilky071408a.htm[/url]

I am not sure I like the 4 year deals for these guys. For Collins, Caldwell, Sims, Rivers and Simpson the more years the merrier. They will all be on the 53 man roster.

These later picks are likely to be released and moved to the practice squad. Once a player is waved another team can nab them at the contract they signed with the last team. These 4 year deals might make them pretty enticing should teams be looking for depth and development. I always love when we grab a guy who is on his rookie contract because we get him long term and cheap, aka David Jones.

Just a thought.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='679178' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:18 AM']I am not sure I like the 4 year deals for these guys. For Collins, Caldwell, Sims, Rivers and Simpson the more years the merrier. They will all be on the 53 man roster.

These later picks are likely to be released and moved to the practice squad. Once a player is waved another team can nab them at the contract they signed with the last team. These 4 year deals might make them pretty enticing should teams be looking for depth and development. I always love when we grab a guy who is on his rookie contract because we get him long term and cheap, aka David Jones.

Just a thought.[/quote]

4yrs is standard across the league for a 5th-7th round player.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='679180' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:24 AM']4yrs is standard across the league for a 5th-7th round player.[/quote]

Since when? They have been 3 year deals in the past. Must be something new.

EDIT....Last year we signed them all to 4 year deals too. I have them slated, I just must of missed the boat. They all made the team tho.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='679181' date='Jul 15 2008, 10:29 AM']Since when? They have been 3 year deals in the past. Must be something new.

EDIT....Last year we signed them all to 4 year deals too. I have them slated, I just must of missed the boat. They all made the team tho.[/quote]

Colt Brennan, a 6th rounder, signed a 4yr deal. The Bears two 3rd rounders, 4th rounder, and 5th rounder all signed 4yr deals.

There are plenty of other examples to be found with a little research.

The typical trend these days is:

Top 10 pick - 6yrs

Rest of Round 1 - 5 yrs

Round 2 and 3 - 5 yrs

Round 4-7 - 4yrs.

[quote][size=5][b]Shirley Signs As Draft Picks Come Into Fold [/b][/size]
By Kevin Goheen
JungleInsider.com Editor
Posted Jul 16, 2008

The Bengals have gotten off to quick start – for them – when it comes to getting their draft picks signed.

Fifth-round pick defensive tackle Jason Shirley is the only one officially in the fold but tight end Matt Sherry and wide receiver Mario Urrutia have also agreed to terms on four-year deals, according to Scout.com’s Adam Caplan. That leaves the Bengals with seven more picks to sign before the players are due to report to Georgetown College for the opening of training camp on July 27.

The Bengals have made it an almost annual occurrence when it comes to their draft choices of announcing signings in the days immediately preceding the opening of camp. Not this year.

The club has announced Shirley and his contract, while all that is left for Sherry and Urrutia is for the signatures to dry and the paperwork to be filed with the NFL office in New York. Sherry’s deal included a signing bonus of $40,000, while Urrutia got $39,000 to sign.

All of the deals come with minimum salaries of $295,000 this season, $385,000 next year, $470,000 in 2010 and $555,000 in 2011.

There is hope from the Bengals that safety Corey Lynch and defensive end Angelo Craig will have their deals finalized by the end of this week. Lynch was a sixth-round pick while Craig was taken ahead of Urrutia in the seventh round.

The NFL allotted the Bengals a rookie salary pool of $5,555,750 for their 10 picks, the majority of which will go to first-round pick Keith Rivers. The linebacker was the ninth overall choice in the draft. Only three players selected in the first round have signed with their respective teams thus far.[/quote]

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/769606.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/769606.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals sign sixth-round pick Sherry [/b][/size]
Cincinnati Bengals
July 15, 2008 5:29 pm

BigCProfootball.com reports the Cincinnati Bengals have signed sixth-round draft pick tight end Matt Sherry to a four-year, $1.775 million deal. Sherry finished up his senior season at Villanova with 37 receptions for 461 yards and five touchdowns. Sherry was an integral part of the Wildcat passing game with career numbers totaling 89 receptions for 1,059 yards and nine touchdowns. He becomes the first Wildcat to be drafted by the NFL since Brian Westbrook was selected in the third round in 2002.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bigcprofootball.com/rumor_mill/index.php?id=3333"]http://www.bigcprofootball.com/rumor_mill/index.php?id=3333[/url]

Archived