Second Half Thread

JBandJoeyV

I figured the other thread was getting really long so I thought we could start a new one.

Are the reds where you expected them to be? Should they have a better or worse record?

Should they buy/sell/stand pat?

How do you think they will end the year?

Will Edinson get Cy Young? 20 wins?

Other predictions/opinions on the Reds second half...

I'll admit, I thought they'd be about 5 games better at this point. Something like 51-45.

They definately have the talent to finish 5+ games above .500 and if Harang comes back they can make a wild card push. We have the starting pitching to contend IMO, but the lineup has got to find some (positive) consistency.

No knock on you, but I want to know this. We have a whole forum dedicated to the Reds, why put so much discussion into one thread? I could see a thread for each series, but see no reason to have a half season in one thread.

[quote name='Jason' post='678992' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:13 PM']No knock on you, but I want to know this. We have a whole forum dedicated to the Reds, why put so much discussion into one thread? I could see a thread for each series, but see no reason to have a half season in one thread.[/quote]

I wasnt the one who did it for the first thread, that was BGwilly...and everyone seemed to go with it, so I figured that was the way people liked to do it?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='678984' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:02 PM']I figured the other thread was getting really long so I thought we could start a new one.

Are the reds where you expected them to be? Should they have a better or worse record?

Should they buy/sell/stand pat?

How do you think they will end the year?

Will Edinson get Cy Young? 20 wins?

Other predictions/opinions on the Reds second half...[/quote]

I think the reds are worse than both where I thought they would be and where they should be. There is no reason this team shouldnt be over .500. Hell Harang is 8 games under .500, him alone being at .500 would put us 4games over and that would be if he was having an ok year, and if he was having a good year we would probably be 7 or 8 games or so over. If Harang can go turn things around, Volquez pitches like he did the first half or at least close to it, Arroyo keeps improving on his 3 game win streak, Cueto keeps improving and either Fogg or Bailey pitch halfway decent there is no reason this team cant fight for a wildcard spot.

No one is gonna trade for Jr or Dunn so they will be here through the end of the year. Personally I would stand pat. No one on this team that is worth getting rid of will get us anything. So unless we can somehow get a good deal on a guy like Weathers or David Ross I say we just go with what he got.

We are only 7 games out of the wildcard, if the Cards play .500 the rest of the year we would have to go 40-26 the rest of the season to tie them. Its doable, but I dont think very likely. I can definitely see the reds going something like 36-30 or something the rest of year and end up with 82 wins or something.

I really hope Volquez will get up to 20 wins and get the cy young.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='678993' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:18 PM']I wasnt the one who did it for the first thread, that was BGwilly...and everyone seemed to go with it, so I figured that was the way people liked to do it?[/quote]

haha quick to point the finger i see.

No imo its much more pleasant to clutter all the gameday BULL SHIT into one thread. Then any other more substantial news can have its own thread and be easier to find or easier to discuss.

Theres so many games so many series people would have to be constantly starting new threads to discuss certain gameplay.

Thats just the way i look at it. B)

however he could have came up something better than "second half thread"

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='678999' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:45 PM']haha quick to point the finger i see.

No imo its much more pleasant to clutter all the gameday BULL SHIT into one thread. Then any other more substantial news can have its own thread and be easier to find or easier to discuss.

Theres so many games so many series people would have to be constantly starting new threads to discuss certain gameplay.

Thats just the way i look at it. B)

[b]however he could have came up something better than "second half thread"[/b][/quote]

Wow you even have to complain about the thread title...guess you are just mad cause Im making a new thread and people are gonna stop posting in your thread. :rolleyes:

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='679004' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:56 PM']Wow you even have to complain about the thread title...guess you are just mad cause Im making a new thread and people are gonna stop posting in your thread. :rolleyes:[/quote]

uptight much. You really going to cry like a baby because somebody made a comment about your painfully bland thread title.

It was a joke kid, chill out and have a cold one. (water that is) :lol:

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='679008' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:01 PM']uptight much. You really going to cry like a baby because somebody made a comment about your painfully bland thread title.

[b]It was a joke kid, chill out and have a cold one. (water that is) :lol:[/b][/quote]

Fuck you, only 18 more days! :D

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='678995' date='Jul 15 2008, 06:31 AM']I think the reds are worse than both where I thought they would be and where they should be. There is no reason this team shouldnt be over .500. Hell Harang is 8 games under .500, him alone being at .500 would put us 4games over and that would be if he was having an ok year, and if he was having a good year we would probably be 7 or 8 games or so over. If Harang can go turn things around, Volquez pitches like he did the first half or at least close to it, Arroyo keeps improving on his 3 game win streak, Cueto keeps improving and either Fogg or Bailey pitch halfway decent there is no reason this team cant fight for a wildcard spot.

No one is gonna trade for Jr or Dunn so they will be here through the end of the year. Personally I would stand pat. No one on this team that is worth getting rid of will get us anything. So unless we can somehow get a good deal on a guy like Weathers or David Ross I say we just go with what he got.

We are only 7 games out of the wildcard, if the Cards play .500 the rest of the year [b]we would have to go 40-26 the rest of the season to tie them[/b]. Its doable, but I dont think very likely. I can definitely see the reds going something like 36-30 or something the rest of year and end up with 82 wins or something.
[b]
I really hope Volquez will get up to 20 wins and get the cy young.[/b][/quote]
I'd say going 40-26 is about the only chance of sniffing the wild card, too. Seems like a big leap to make for a team that can't hit consistently. The young pitching gives us a chance, but I won't be holding my breath..

It's possible, of course, if Junior and Dunn start hitting.

Yeah, getting to .500 is likely going to be about it, I'm afraid.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='679038' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:32 PM']I'd say going 40-26 is about the only chance of sniffing the wild card, too. Seems like a big leap to make for a team that can't hit consistently. The young pitching gives us a chance, but I won't be holding my breath..

It's possible, of course, if Junior and Dunn start hitting.

Yeah, getting to .500 is likely going to be about it, I'm afraid.[/quote]

We still have a lot of games left VS the NL central big dogs.

6 games vs cubbies
9 games vs brewers
9 games vs st louis

Thats over a 1/3 of the games left right there. Not easy games.

But the only other notable "tough" series is up against ARIZONA>

But of course this takes beating the shitty teams like we should. Which this team isnt very good at accomplishing.

While going 40-26 is unlikely, if you think about it though there isnt a single guy on this team (besides Volquez and maybe Hariston, and a couple guys in the pen) that shouldnt be expected to play just as well as they did in the first half if not better.

Cueto-he should be getting better as the year goes on and there is no reason he cant be above .500 second half.
Arroyo and Harang have to be better, they are better pitchers than they showed in the first half.
5th starter didnt do shit so far so it would be tough for them to do much worse.

Phillips can be expected to keep playing like he has the last year and half.
Kepp will get his hits, and probably bat better than he has since coming back from the DL.
Dunn will keep hitting homers.
Griffey-nothing needs to be said here, it would be tough for him to play any worse.
Bruce and Votto hopefully will keep improving with experience.

If you look at how some of these guys played this year, its almost amazing that we are only 4 games under. This team has the talent to be in the playoffs, I dont doubt that at all.

By the way, is it just me or does it seem like going 40-26 seems really hard to do, whereas making up 7 games on the cards doesnt seem as hard. For some reason when I think about it that way it seems much more doable.

One more thing, imagine how mad you would be if volquez didnt turn out to be any good. Its tough to realize we got rid of a guy that has 95 rbis at the break, but its much easier to swallow when we have a pitcher with 12 wins.

The pitching has been so much better than last year, both in ERA and blown saves, and yet it isn't transalting to the record we'd hoped the Reds would have. The blame falls on the offense. The inability to hit with RISP and to make productive outs instead of strikeouts continues to plague this team. The offense disappears for stretches at a time. The injuries to Keppinger and Hairston have hurt, but other than Phillips and Dunn (maybe Votto, maybe), I feel the position players haven't held up their end of the bargain.

We need to get more right-handed and less free-swinging in the offseason. Pat Burrell would be ideal. If we drop Dunner and Grumpy Jr., that should free up a boatload of cash. The gems of the pitching market are Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia. It'd be nice to raid the Brew Crew of one of those two. Yeah, I know it's a total pipe dream for the Reds to get any of those three.

^_^

I like bgwilleys thinking behind the on running discussion

this is my new home

I like it

fresh paint

fresh attitudes!

Let's vote on a title for the Thread.

Second half thread.

The Second Game Day Thread...

THE SECOND HALF?

Are we gonna do this or what?

And so it goes...

At the risk of jinxing it, I really like the way the team is playing right now. The offense has been stepping it up the last 6 games and the pitching has been very good. Arroyo is on a 4 game winning streak, and outside of lastnight Cueto has been great over the last month plus. Couple that with Volquez as well as the confidence that the old Harang is going to return from the DL and the bullpen being lights out the last 11 games (other than cordero's blowup), this team can make a nice run provided the lineup continues to produce.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='680045' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:09 PM']At the risk of jinxing it, I really like the way the team is playing right now. The offense has been stepping it up the last 6 games and the pitching has been very good. Arroyo is on a 4 game winning streak, and outside of lastnight Cueto has been great over the last month plus. Couple that with Volquez as well as the confidence that the old Harang is going to return from the DL and the bullpen being lights out the last 11 games (other than cordero's blowup), this team can make a nice run provided the lineup continues to produce.[/quote]
I agree with you except we keep letting winnable game slip through our grasp. Hopes for the wildcard are looking really slim unless we resolve that.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='680049' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:34 PM']I agree with you except we keep letting winnable game slip through our grasp. Hopes for the wildcard are looking really slim unless we resolve that.[/quote]

I'm not even worried about the wild card yet. goal 1 is to get over .500 and stay there.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='680062' date='Jul 19 2008, 07:46 AM']I'm not even worried about the wild card yet. goal 1 is to get over .500 and stay there.[/quote]

Ditto. I'd like to make the post season (but I don't really see it happening) but I would be content with 82+ wins.

If they can stay reasonably healthy the rest of the way, and Aaron is Aaron again, I think that is an achievable goal.

Archived