Who’s up / Who’s down

[quote][b][size=5]Who’s up / Who’s down[/size]

On the rise[/b]
He has no competition in camp and a fat new contract, but punter Kyle Larson continues to perfect his craft under the instruction of special teams coach Darrin Simmons. With the wind at his back Tuesday, Larson launched a series of 60-yard bombs that would not be returnable. Larson, kicker Shayne Graham and long-snapper Brad St. Louis are nearly invisible because of their professionalism and productivity.

[b]Slipping[/b]
The Bengals waived former Ohio State fullback Tyler Whaley on Tuesday and re-signed former Miami University cornerback Jerrid Gaines. There are two former Miami players on the Bengals roster; the other is safety John Busing. There are three former UC players: defensive end Angelo Craig, linebacker Anthony Hoke and tailback Bradley Glatthaar. There are no Buckeyes.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080806/SPT02/308060005/1066/SPT02"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0005/1066/SPT02[/url]

Any word on how well Thornton's doing. I always seem to miss his name with all the camp reports. Is he playing? He sure doesn't make a lot plays. I heard Myers name a lot but no John Thornton. Any chance they dump Thornton for the young bucs. You know Shirley will be gone if he is put on the practice squad just like Big Toe last year. Imagine if we still had him. I think Thornton and Myers both would be expendable, but I do like Myers. He seems to be a good player for the money, cant say the same about Thornton.

[quote name='Ochosucko' post='685062' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:01 PM']Any word on how well Thornton's doing. I always seem to miss his name with all the camp reports. Is he playing? He sure doesn't make a lot plays. I heard Myers name a lot but no John Thornton. Any chance they dump Thornton for the young bucs. You know Shirley will be gone if he is put on the practice squad just like Big Toe last year. Imagine if we still had him. I think Thornton and Myers both would be expendable, but I do like Myers. He seems to be a good player for the money, cant say the same about Thornton.[/quote]

I heard he and Peko looked great together in the scrimmage (yes, it was just a scrimmage).

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='685163' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:11 AM']Is the consensus that J Johnson is on his way out? I'm pulling for Glatthaar to make this team in some fashion. Kid plays with an attitude to punish the opposition.[/quote]

I'd love to see Bradley make the team, but I just don't see it. I think he'll end up on the practice squad though.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='685169' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:46 AM']I'd love to see Bradley make the team, but I just don't see it. I think he'll end up on the practice squad though.[/quote]

I guess we'll know more on Monday when we see Bradley on the field in stripes. Real football is just around the corner. I'm getting antsy.

[quote][b][size=5]WHO'S ON THE WAY UP / WHO'S ON THE WAY DOWN[/size]

On the rise:[/b] For some players, productivity in the NFL can come down to health. Defensive end Jonathan Fanene is one of those. When he has managed to be activated for game day, Fanene has come through with solid play. With a new contract in the offseason, he's being counted on to contribute as a backup. He has 14 career tackles, including a sack. So far, so good; he hasn't missed a day of camp work.

[b]Slipping:[/b] He has big-play capability, but tailback DeDe Dorsey has to take better care of the ball. With a knock on him that he fumbles too frequently in practice, Dorsey on Wednesday morning simply dropped the ball after getting a handoff in 11-on-11 drills. Though he ran for 183 yards last year, Dorsey hurts his chances to make the team and then get onto the field. Rookie James Johnson is pushing.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080807/SPT02/808070349"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SPT02/808070349[/url]

[quote name='Dautcom08' post='685163' date='Aug 7 2008, 08:11 AM']Is the consensus that J Johnson is on his way out? I'm pulling for Glatthaar to make this team in some fashion. Kid plays with an attitude to punish the opposition.[/quote]

No. Marvin said yesterday that Jeremi is making good progress and when he gets back to his weight he will start practicing again.

[quote name='Jason' post='685208' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:04 AM']No. Marvin said yesterday that Jeremi is making good progress and when he gets back to his weight he will start practicing again.[/quote]

Yes until that quote I was pretty sure he was history. Now I'm not so certain...

[quote name='Oldcat' post='685281' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:02 PM']Yes until that quote I was pretty sure he was history. Now I'm not so certain...[/quote]

And the feeling i get, with some of the observations that Coats has struggled at times at FB, is that if he gets back in shape and plays like he has in the past, he won't get cut with the re-emphasis on the running game. This might lead to coats at #3 TE and #2 FB, with sherry hitting the PS for the season. I actually would like to see his return this year, but we may need to draft a FB next year in rd 4 or 5 so we can cut loose the guy that can't stop eating in the offseason.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685286' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:13 PM']:lol: :lol: :lol: they werent ever considering getting rid of the only good FB on the team when we are planning to run more this year.[/quote]

you're a fool if you think that this team, or any team, can only be successful running out of a formation with a lead FB. You'll see us run quite a bit out of a two TE set, with no FB in the backfield.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685286' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:13 PM']:lol: :lol: :lol: they werent ever considering getting rid of the only good FB on the team when we are planning to run more this year.[/quote]

Stranger things have happened to this team. I wouldn't for one moment be surprised if they cut him b/c he doesnt have the dedication that other players have. Not to mention the cap relief, he's in the 2 Mil range per year on his contract, correct? If Coats actually surprises us this preseason, i'd say its a 50/50 proposition, no?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='685291' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:21 PM']you're a fool if you think that this team, or any team, can only be successful running out of a formation with a lead FB. You'll see us run quite a bit out of a two TE set, with no FB in the backfield.[/quote]

u think a team who plans to run more is going to completely abandon the FB? it odesnt mean they only run that way but they sure as fuck are going to have a FB out there sometimes and they arent going to put someone like coats out htere who has been getting destroyed all camp.

[quote name='Phish' post='685292' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:22 PM']Stranger things have happened to this team. I wouldn't for one moment be surprised if they cut him b/c he doesnt have the dedication that other players have. Not to mention the cap relief, he's in the 2 Mil range per year on his contract, correct? If Coats actually surprises us this preseason, i'd say its a 50/50 proposition, no?[/quote]
everytime i see practice or see highlights i see coats getting destroyed when trying to block a LB.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685299' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:36 PM']u think a team who plans to run more is going to completely abandon the FB? it odesnt mean they only run that way but they sure as fuck are going to have a FB out there sometimes and they arent going to put someone like coats out htere who has been getting destroyed all camp.

everytime i see practice or see highlights i see coats getting destroyed when trying to block a LB.[/quote]

its a waste of a spot on a guy who can only play FB. Look at our offense. We run a lot of 3-wide (no FB there). We are also going to run a lot of 2 TE sets (no FB there either). We also often utilize an H-back a lot, which Kelly, Utecht, and Coats all have experience doing.

This team doesn't need a FB only player on the roster. It's just a waste.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685299' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:36 PM']u think a team who plans to run more is going to completely abandon the FB? it odesnt mean they only run that way but they sure as fuck are going to have a FB out there sometimes and they arent going to put someone like coats out htere who has been getting destroyed all camp.

everytime i see practice or see highlights i see coats getting destroyed when trying to block a LB.[/quote]

In my defense, i did say if he surprises us in the next few weeks. I read and see the same highlights you do and im not sold on Coats at FB either, but if Jeremi doesnt even have the motivation to come into training camp then maybe we need to be looking in a different direction after this season. Doesn't really seem to me that Jeremi Johnson wants to win now, like marvin has been preaching.

[quote name='Phish' post='685316' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:15 PM']In my defense, i did say if he surprises us in the next few weeks. I read and see the same highlights you do and im not sold on Coats at FB either, [b]but if Jeremi doesnt even have the motivation to come into training camp then maybe we need to be looking in a different direction after this season [color="#FF0000"](or this season). [/color]Doesn't really seem to me that Jeremi Johnson wants to win now, like marvin has been preaching.[/b][/quote]

+1
This is the issue with Jeremi.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685286' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:13 AM']:lol: :lol: :lol: they werent ever considering getting rid of the only good FB on the team when we are planning to run more this year.[/quote]

A fullback who weighs 320 and has heart failure on the third play isn't 'good'. And when Marvin calls you out in public you better
take notice because you are in deep trouble.

I still think JJ is on the bubble. From Marvin's talk before he was almost a dead man walking. Now he has a chance to stay but
he's no lock. We still have that FB from U Cincy in camp, and the experiments are continuing. But it sure seems they aren't sold on
the TE as FB experiment yet.

And all the center fiddling should make Santucci and the other backups worried, if not Guy-check. They sure look like they want to economize
in that position this year.

The fact that they cut Whaley tells us one of two things...

1) He completely sucked (which could be the case...to get cut before even getting a chance to play against scrubs in the 4th quarter of the 1st pre-season game is pretty bad)

or

2) The Bengals are confident that between JJ, Coats & Glatthaar they will have someone that can do the job.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='685325' date='Aug 7 2008, 01:32 PM']A fullback who weighs 320 and has heart failure on the third play isn't 'good'. And when Marvin calls you out in public you better
take notice because you are in deep trouble.

I still think JJ is on the bubble. From Marvin's talk before he was almost a dead man walking. Now he has a chance to stay but
he's no lock. We still have that FB from U Cincy in camp, and the experiments are continuing. But it sure seems they aren't sold on
the TE as FB experiment yet.

And all the center fiddling should make Santucci and the other backups worried, if not Guy-check. They sure look like they want to economize
in that position this year.[/quote]

Rudi can't get his shit healthy maybe they could use Glatthaar as the power back this year. Perry can be the feature back or Watson who ever they feel more comfortable with Glatthaar in there at FB, then put Glatthaar in for short yardage situations and move one of the TEs in there at FB. I think Glatthaar would be great hometown story as well.

[quote name='Ochosucko' post='685370' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:59 PM']Rudi can't get his shit healthy maybe they could use Glatthaar as the power back this year. Perry can be the feature back or Watson who ever they feel more comfortable with Glatthaar in there at FB, then put Glatthaar in for short yardage situations and move one of the TEs in there at FB. I think Glatthaar would be great hometown story as well.[/quote]

while I love the sentiment, Bradley is slower than Rudi.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='685301' date='Aug 7 2008, 12:42 PM']its a waste of a spot on a guy who can only play FB. Look at our offense. We run a lot of 3-wide (no FB there). We are also going to run a lot of 2 TE sets (no FB there either). We also often utilize an H-back a lot, which Kelly, Utecht, and Coats all have experience doing.

This team doesn't need a FB only player on the roster. It's just a waste.[/quote]

lmao. this team is going to use a FB. We will run 2 TE way more htan 3 WR. Our WRs cant block for sure. They will keep a FB around because their favorite running play with Rudi involves a good ass FB. Our coaches arent fucking idiots they arent dumb enough to actually have 0 FBs at any time. JJ is on this team. No fucking way was he ever going to get cut.

[quote name='Phish' post='685316' date='Aug 7 2008, 01:15 PM']In my defense, i did say if he surprises us in the next few weeks. I read and see the same highlights you do and im not sold on Coats at FB either, but if Jeremi doesnt even have the motivation to come into training camp then maybe we need to be looking in a different direction after this season. Doesn't really seem to me that Jeremi Johnson wants to win now, like marvin has been preaching.[/quote]

after this season maybe, but not htis season. No one on the team can come CLOSE to his ability to lead block for our RBs.

Archived