!!! THE OFFICIAL BENGALS @ PACKERS PRESEASON GAME THREAD !!!

I know we're short some guys, but I think the Bengals starting defense looked pretty mediocre at best. I expected better, given all this "fire and brimstone" talk about Zimmer.
The starting offense was very sluggish too, but looked better in their last series that resulted in the Utecht TD.

I know it's preseason, and maybe we are jonesing for football more than we should, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

We looked average, although the return of starters on both sides of the ball, as well as more camp and preseason games hopefully will hone our focus.

I don't want to be 8-8 again.

Chris Perry didn't die, so that's a bonus, and he looked good.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='686742' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:16 PM']I know we're short some guys, but I think the Bengals starting defense looked pretty mediocre at best. I expected better, given all this "fire and brimstone" talk about Zimmer.
The starting offense was very sluggish too, but looked better in their last series that resulted in the Utecht TD.

I know it's preseason, and maybe we are jonesing for football more than we should, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

We looked average, although the return of starters on both sides of the ball, as well as more camp and preseason games hopefully will hone our focus.

[b]Chris Perry didn't die[/b], so that's a bonus, and he looked good.[/quote]
:lol:

I still worry about our defensive line being able to apply pressure consistently. We not only weren;t able to do that outside a couple Geathers pressures, but on those plays where Rodgers had time, he gashed us. So did their RB Jackson.

Hopefully all this gets addressed going forward.

Lots of promise with Perry and Utecht. Simpson, Caldwell, Sims and Shirley didn't do half bad.

Definitely a few mistakes by the D in the 1st quarter, but you can bet they are going to suffer for that this week.

Rivers should pass Marshall and Brooks should retake Blackstock, IMO.

BZ

[quote name='Bunghole' post='686742' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:16 PM']I know we're short some guys, but I think the Bengals starting defense looked pretty mediocre at best. I expected better, given all this "fire and brimstone" talk about Zimmer.

Chris Perry didn't die, so that's a bonus, and he looked good.[/quote]

I thought the defensive line (1st and 2nd stringers) played relatively well on the whole. Good pressure, kept the run game in check for the most part. The secondary definately has some tightening up to do.

I think things will pick up once Odom, Rivers, and Brooks are starting again.

It was all very vanilla tonight, but the one thing they HAVE to fix asap is tackeling, that shit if fundemental, you just cant not make them.

Fix that and fix the catching by guys not named Chad at WR. And Ill feel decent about this season.

Chris Perry please stay healthy your a beast if you do.

[quote name='TheBZ' post='686745' date='Aug 11 2008, 11:19 PM']Lots of promise with Perry and Utecht. Simpson, Caldwell, Sims and Shirley didn't do half bad.

Definitely a few mistakes by the D in the 1st quarter, but you can bet they are going to suffer for that this week.

Rivers should pass Marshall and Brooks should retake Blackstock, IMO.

BZ[/quote]

Brooks aint replacing anyone yet...but I would be surprised if rivers didnt start against Detroit.

I thought the 1st string d played well, the wheels started to come off quick once J-Joe and Hall were out. They didn't play long at all 1 maybe 2 series.

I'm a little scared about the 1st string O. I'll chalk it up to no Rudi or Housh.

I'm glad footballs back, I'm glad we won but I'm not taking much from this game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='686746' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:19 PM']I thought the defensive line (1st and 2nd stringers) played relatively well on the whole. Good pressure, kept the run game in check for the most part. The secondary definately has some tightening up to do.[/quote]
I liked what I saw from Perry, Rivers, Palmer, Utecht and Lynch.

I was disappointed in Deltha, White (arm tackles and going for big hits instead of wrapping up), the Dline except Geathers, Johnson the rookie RB (all the hype), and the secondary as a unit.

There were times when the starters were playing when Rodgers was making plays when I thought that we looked a lot like a Bresnahan defense with our DB's.

But, it is preseason, and everything tastes of vanilla. Hopefully that's the case.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='686715' date='Aug 11 2008, 09:51 PM']I didn't know our expectations were supposed to be so low. :mellow:

Folks want to see some ass-kicking after no football for 8 months.

Hell, I'm impressed CCC didn't throw in the towel on the entire season after GB took the lead during the first preseason game :lol:[/quote]

i feel cool just by the fact you remembered me

i'm not exactly the most well known person here.....

i'll try not to flip on sundays but......i'm kinda bipolar

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='686751' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:24 PM']i feel cool just by the fact you remembered me

i'm not exactly the most well known person here.....

i'll try not to flip on sundays but......i'm kinda bipolar[/quote]

We can't all be post whores ^_^ And you'll be fine this season. We're going to be playing with the lead a lot.

Any comments on the young DTs, guys?

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='686753' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:28 PM']We can't all be post whores ^_^ And you'll be fine this season. We're going to be playing with the lead a lot.

Any comments on the young DTs, guys?[/quote]

Shirley looked a bit lathargic to me, I think they both are going to need some time with the trainers to get into NFL shape.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='686573' date='Aug 11 2008, 08:04 PM']And that has what to do with our TD? The fact that our O went 3 and out the first 3 times is very troubling considering the Steelers scored a TD on their first drive. Apples to oranges I know but I can't help but feel like we're behind where the team needs to be to face that tough first four games.[/quote]

I'm with you.

However, I had to tape the game and only watched until the point of the Perry "fumble." At least it sounds like it got a wee bit better, even if against the dregs.

They need a lot of work on fundamentals, though, like tackling and catching the ball.

Chris Perry didn't die, so that's a bonus, and he looked good.[/quote]

As far as preseason games go, I try to focus more on the positives than the negatives.

1) Chris Perry played well and he might make a huge difference if he can keep this up.

2) Ben Utecht had a solid debut and might be our de facto #3 receiver.

3) Keith Rivers had a good game. He didn't miss any tackles and had a few nice thumps.

4) David Jones struggled. I was hoping he would look better.

5) Marvin White was a little sloppy and a little unlucky. He took a bad angle on Jackson's first big run and he missed a tackle on Driver on a key 3rd down play. He had several big hits as well and was unlucky that James Jones somehow stayed on his feet on the touchdown.

all in all a decent game... the D, tackle, tackle, FUCKING TACKLE......
The O, horiblle the first quarter, much better the second and there after, Chris Perry looked GOOD!!!!!!(I was impressed) Utech showed why we signed him
Special teams..........coulda been alot better, coulda been alot worse, we'll see

I was impressed by the lack of pennalties, only 2 I remember on D, and 1 on O, but I'm drunk (gin will do that to ya!)
D looked good the first couple series..getting pressure on the QB,locking up the WR's, tackling, but after that I don't know what happened.....TACKLE DAMNIT!!!!!
Fitzpatrick diddn't look bad at all, the 3rd WR position is clearly still up for grabs, and have I mentioned tackling in this post yet?

[quote name='Bunghole' post='686742' date='Aug 11 2008, 08:16 PM']We looked average, although the return of starters on both sides of the ball, as well as more camp and preseason games hopefully will hone our focus.[/quote]

On the other had, GB was what, 13-3 last year? And we were playing in their yard?
While we werent perfect we got the job done.

Kinda hard to judge the game given TJ and Rudi did not play. Perry, (Please Dear Lord let him stay healthy) looked great. Utecht looked smooth running routes and catching the ball so I am pretty happy with what I saw on offense.

Defense was all around the ball but they HAVE to make tackles pure and simple. We did a good job getting to the running back but missed tackles. I thought our corners were all around the ball UNLIKE last year.

Also, Rodgers int was a great play by our defensive back, not a missed catch like Kornsucker and Co. proclaimed. That really set the stage for the Bengal bashing.

One last thing, BengRep 85-9: That Jenn chick is smokin hot no doubt but according to her website she just signed with the JETs to be the Jets girl. She also digs Brett Favre so you need to find another babe to use with your sig.

[url="http://jennifersterger.blogspot.com/"]http://jennifersterger.blogspot.com/[/url]

Favre's name was mentioned at least 101 times. I might have missed a few at the very end due to dropping eyelids.

Archived