Who is the greatest athlete of all time?

[quote name='Jason' post='687496' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:22 AM']Not necessarily the most dominant in one sport, but who is the greatest athlete of all time? Nominate or second someones nomination, and then we'll do a poll.

I nominate Jim Thorpe.[/quote]

Second.

I'll say someone like a Bo Jackson.

Most people universally agree that the hardest thing to do in sport is hit a baseball. He was a man-child in football and was a really, really good baseball player as well.

Played two different highest-tier professional sports and excelled at both.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='687611' date='Aug 14 2008, 03:21 PM']I'll say someone like a Bo Jackson.

Most people universally agree that the hardest thing to do in sport is hit a baseball. He was a man-child in football and was a really, really good baseball player as well.

Played two different highest-tier professional sports and excelled at both.[/quote]

Bo is my #2. I would second, but I've already made a nomination.

For overall best athlete, I'd put Jim Brown in there as well. He gets most of the credit for his football career, but he was a great all round athlete. Stanley Mathews from England played rugby, cricket and soccer for his country despite chain smoking. Very fast and a great athlete. Arguably any decathlon winner in the Olympics or world record holder has to be up there.

For domination in one sport, Australian cricketer Don Bradman by a mile. England actually tried to fracture his skull to stop him. (they didn't, but one of his team mates did get his skull fractured) Then probably Jordan and Gretzky.

[quote name='sois' post='687552' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:57 AM']What's wrong with Iverson, he looks pretty elite to me.[/quote]
Even in basketball circles I'd hardly consider him the best. He's a great player, but he's also a ballhog and a suspect outside shooter. You would have done better to nominate Jordan, IMO.

I second the Bo Jackson nomination, if only because he's the best I ever saw at two sports.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687664' date='Aug 14 2008, 06:10 PM']Even in basketball circles I'd hardly consider him the best. He's a great player, but he's also a ballhog and a suspect outside shooter. You would have done better to nominate Jordan, IMO.

I second the Bo Jackson nomination, if only because he's the best I ever saw at two sports.[/quote]

The best baseball player you ever saw? Pshhhhh! Even Bo Knows that's BS.

this will get laughed at, but if you watched him play all these sports i think ud agree: Carlos Zambrano

not only can he pitch like a stud, he cant hit damn well too. he also practices with some professional soccer teams and could play pro soccer. i also heard he can throw a hell of a football too. id say being able to pitch and hit, play soccer and possibly football gets a nomination.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='687680' date='Aug 14 2008, 07:18 PM']The best baseball player you ever saw? Pshhhhh! Even Bo Knows that's BS.[/quote]
Ooops! Hold up, wait a minute!
:lol:
I meant as a combination athelete, not that he was the greatest baseball player I'd ever seen!

He was close to the best football player I've ever seen, though, and a very good hitter.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='687700' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:20 PM']this will get laughed at, but if you watched him play all these sports i think ud agree: Carlos Zambrano

not only can he pitch like a stud, he cant hit damn well too. he also practices with some professional soccer teams and could play pro soccer. i also heard he can throw a hell of a football too. id say being able to pitch and hit, play soccer and possibly football gets a nomination.[/quote]
Best athelete EVER?
You're right about the laughed at part...

Are you for real? That johnny-come-lately fatass?

Really?

Put down the pipe Thurman, and slowly walk away....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687709' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:06 PM']Best athelete EVER?

Really?

:lol:[/quote]

You're right; there's no way that stocky bastard could play pro soccer; even the slowest center halfbacks are much more trim and agile than him. Does he look like a guy who could run around for 90 minutes? He's got a tank neck, for fuck's sake.

CC pitches better, hits better, and I wouldn't be shocked if he throws 'a hell of a football.' And he's probably one of the 5 least-athletic people in MLB, give or take a David Wells.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='687709' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:06 PM']Best athelete EVER?

Really?

:lol:[/quote]

funny how i use something to support my case such as what he has DONE and u just mention what he looks like.
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='687713' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:21 PM'][b]You're right; there's no way that stocky bastard could play pro soccer[/b]; even the slowest center halfbacks are much more trim and agile than him. Does he look like a guy who could run around for 90 minutes? He's got a tank neck, for fuck's sake.

CC pitches better, hits better, and I wouldn't be shocked if he throws 'a hell of a football.' And he's probably one of the 5 least-athletic people in MLB, give or take a David Wells.[/quote]

yet he was offered a contract to play pro soccer...................looks dont mean shit. he isnt slow.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='687851' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:41 PM']funny how i use something to support my case such as what he has DONE and u just mention what he looks like.

yet he was offered a contract to play pro soccer...................looks dont mean shit. he isnt slow.[/quote]

Billy Crystal was offered a professional baseball contract, too. I just did a quick internet query to find out more about zambrano's pro soccer contract offer, and came up with nothing, apart from the fact that he makes trips overseas every year to watch soccer; could you post some substantiation?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='687990' date='Aug 16 2008, 01:04 AM']the reasoning used for bo jackson could go to deion sanders as well. i wouldnt put Bo in the top 5. u know who id like to see play another sport. tiger woods. he is a big mother fucker and i bet he could tear it up in some other sports.[/quote]

Tiger's knee couldn't hold up under the strenuous physical pressures of...golf.

jim thorpe is the end all be all here, bo is definitely up there though

however...

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='687875' date='Aug 15 2008, 04:37 PM']could you post some substantiation?[/quote]
fuck no he cant

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='687851' date='Aug 15 2008, 03:41 PM']yet he was offered a contract to play pro soccer...................looks dont mean shit. he isnt slow.[/quote]
wrong carlos zambrano there, stud

[url="http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/sport/fussball/1-bundesliga/s04/2008/5/8/news-44667826/detail.html"]http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/sport/...826/detail.html[/url]

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='687993' date='Aug 16 2008, 04:21 AM']jim thorpe is the end all be all here, bo is definitely up there though

however...

fuck no he cant

wrong carlos zambrano there, stud

[url="http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/sport/fussball/1-bundesliga/s04/2008/5/8/news-44667826/detail.html"]http://www.derwesten.de/nachrichten/sport/...826/detail.html[/url][/quote]

wtf does that say? i cant read that shit.

Archived