!!! THE OFFICIAL LIONS @ BENGALS PRESEASON GAME THREAD !!!,

[quote name='Ochosucko' post='688555' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:31 PM']so is Simpson the #3? How did John Thornton look in the game. Looking at the stats he didn't make any.[/quote]

nah, I think Maxwell marked his claim on the #3 spot tonight. I think the fact that they've taken him out of the game twice now when they take out many of the starters is a sign that they feel he doesn't have compete with the other guys. I also don't think Simpson or Caldwell have taken any snaps with the first team yet. They haven't even taken many snaps with the 2nd team.

[quote name='Ochosucko' post='688544' date='Aug 17 2008, 10:22 PM']Guess the Patriots are fooling themselves too they are getting beat 27-3 right now. They must suck really bad.[/quote]

Didn't watch that game, but I did watch the Bengals. Poor blocking, poor tackling, and horrendous special teams (other than a nice 50 yarder by Shayne). Fitzpatrick looked good (albeit against their second string D), and Kenny Watson showed some burst (again against the second string) other than that, I did not take a shit ton of positives away from this game. I realize the playcalling is going to be vanilla, but I focus on the fundementals....and so far this preseason, this team has not been fundamentally sound.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='688557' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:34 PM']Didn't watch that game, but I did watch the Bengals. Poor blocking, poor tackling, and horrendous special teams (other than a nice 50 yarder by Shayne). Fitzpatrick looked good (albeit against their second string D), and Kenny Watson showed some burst (again against the second string) other than that, I did not take a shit ton of positives away from this game. I realize the playcalling is going to be vanilla, but I focus on the fundementals....and so far this preseason, this team has not been fundamentally sound.[/quote]
What you and everyone else seems to be forgetting is that on defense, we are intentionally using the "Chucky B Playbook" right now to lull other teams to sleep for when we unleash the "Zimmer Aggressive Tackling Defense" playbook for the opener.

I hope the Ravens are worried...they should be.

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='688557' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:34 PM']Didn't watch that game, but I did watch the Bengals. Poor blocking, poor tackling, and horrendous special teams (other than a nice 50 yarder by Shayne). Fitzpatrick looked good (albeit against their second string D), and Kenny Watson showed some burst (again against the second string) other than that, I did not take a shit ton of positives away from this game. [color="#FF0000"]I realize the playcalling is going to be vanilla, but I focus on the fundementals....and so far this preseason, this team has not been fundamentally sound.[/color][/quote]

Quoted for truth.

The fact that our first string QB etc stayed in so long, and didn't produce, even when playing against the 2nd string D.....worries me a little. But...I'm willing to be patient, in case they were lookin to try things I have no idea about and the end result of a TD wasn't what they cared about.

So if we absolutely obliterate the Saints or whoever next week and just play amazing at every aspect, then will you guys proclaim this team the next dynasty and book your superbowl tickets and start popping champaign? If the answer is no, then don't cry about sucking in tonights game.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='688562' date='Aug 17 2008, 09:39 PM']The fact that our first string QB etc stayed in so long, and didn't produce, even when playing against the 2nd string D.....worries me a little. But...I'm willing to be patient, in case they were lookin to try things I have no idea about and the end result of a TD wasn't what they cared about.[/quote]
That's what I don't get either. If you're going to claim "vanilla", then you should be able to execute "vanilla". If you're trying out some different stuff and don't care if you score or not then I could see that when it doesn't work, but I think we're actually trying to move the ball and haven't been very successful with our first team offense.

Not having TJ or Chad in there certainly changes some things and makes a [b]huge[/b] difference, but the oline outside of a few good runs wasn't sharp pass blocking for Palmer in either game so far. I'm willing to chalk it up to rust, preseason and plain-jane playcalling for now, but if the third preseason game is what teams are to judge their first-team's readiness by because they play the most in that game, then we'd better kick some ass for a few series or I will then be worried. At least move the chains some. I understand a lack of big plays and such if neither TJ or Chad play in the NO game next week. But we seem to need cohesion and consistency on our first-team offense right now.

[quote name='texbengal' post='688500' date='Aug 17 2008, 08:44 PM']From Bengals.com re: Chad

Johnson left the field hunched over with a shoulder injury when he fell to the turf as he tried to make a leaping catch on Palmer's third-and-nine pass during the Bengals' first drive. [b]Although there was no official report, indications are the injury isn't serious.[/b][/quote]

yeah, i saw that "hunching over" as well. like i said before, i think his shoulder got dislocated, or subluxated, as the doctors say. i've experienced that god-awful injury and it looked frightenly similar. you "hunch over" because your arm feels like it weighs about 2 tons. it's a helluva painful injury and seldom results in a short term recovery....depending on the degree of separation.

this is probably not a good deal, folks.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' post='688565' date='Aug 17 2008, 10:41 PM']So if we absolutely obliterate the Saints or whoever next week and just play amazing at every aspect, then will you guys proclaim this team the next dynasty and book your superbowl tickets and start popping champaign? If the answer is no, then don't cry about sucking in tonights game.[/quote]

I didn't have anything positive to say last week, and we won that game. It's the preseason, wins and losses mean nothing. If the Bengals crush the Saints next week and play sloppy football, I will be right back here ripping them for playing shitty football again. It's not about the playcalling, and it's not about winning or losing...it's about how the fuck it was done. You and GO can keep on this "yer a girly man if you bitch about the preseason" kick, but the fact of the matter is, this is not a fundamentally sound football team. There are some [b]players[/b] that are doing well, but as a [b]team[/b], the light just isn't on yet. I hope they get it together and get on a roll (like the Giants last year), but as of this day, I am a little worried. I'm not pressing the panic button yet, just showing some concern. Apparently, I can't do that here without being being called a pussy.

I'll drink the fuckin' koolade when it tastes right. B)

[quote name='BengalsFREAK' post='688659' date='Aug 18 2008, 04:59 AM']I didn't have anything positive to say last week, and we won that game. It's the preseason, wins and losses mean nothing. If the Bengals crush the Saints next week and play sloppy football, I will be right back here ripping them for playing shitty football again. It's not about the playcalling, and it's not about winning or losing...it's about how the fuck it was done. You and GO can keep on this "yer a girly man if you bitch about the preseason" kick, but the fact of the matter is, this is not a fundamentally sound football team. There are some [b]players[/b] that are doing well, but as a [b]team[/b], the light just isn't on yet. I hope they get it together and get on a roll (like the Giants last year), but as of this day, I am a little worried. I'm not pressing the panic button yet, just showing some concern. Apparently, I can't do that here without being being called a pussy.

I'll drink the fuckin' koolade when it tastes right. B)[/quote]

testify

Again, the major concern has to be the O line's poor play/blocking. You don't run Vanilla blocking schemes in PASS protection. No way you would ever run vanilla plays that might get your franchise QB hit during the preseason. Protecting Palmer is mission number 1 for the offense in the preseason and it didn't happen very well last night.

Yeah its preseason but I sure as hell don't like seeing Carson being touched. Don't really care if the pass plays were not exciting or new but pass protection should ALWAYS be priority 1.

[quote name='SF2' post='688697' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:00 AM']Again, the major concern has to be the O line's poor play/blocking. You don't run Vanilla blocking schemes in PASS protection. No way you would ever run vanilla plays that might get your franchise QB hit during the preseason. Protecting Palmer is mission number 1 for the offense in the preseason and it didn't happen very well last night.

Yeah its preseason but I sure as hell don't like seeing Carson being touched. Don't really care if the pass plays were not exciting or new but pass protection should ALWAYS be priority 1.[/quote]

while it was bad last night, I wouldn't exactly call the oline a "major concern" right now. There's far too much talent and they have years of playing well. Also don't underestimate the fact that it was Bobbie's first time at center calling out protections and picking up blitz schemes.

They certainly have some things to work out, but the oline (as far as pass blocking) is about a 3 out of 10 (10 being the worst) concern for me right now. They'll get it worked out.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='688701' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:07 AM']while it was bad last night, I wouldn't exactly call the oline a "major concern" right now. There's far too much talent and they have years of playing well. Also don't underestimate the fact that it was Bobbie's first time at center calling out protections and picking up blitz schemes.

They certainly have some things to work out, but the oline (as far as pass blocking) is about a 3 out of 10 (10 being the worst) concern for me right now. They'll get it worked out.[/quote]

I agree for the most part but I don't like seeing Palmer take hits in a preseason game. Hopefully, all will be well come game one and you are right that as a veteran group this should occur. I am more worried about how long it will take for our NEW defense to gel. It they are up to speed by October, we can do some damage.

[quote name='SF2' post='688733' date='Aug 18 2008, 10:14 AM']I agree for the most part but I don't like seeing Palmer take hits in a preseason game. Hopefully, all will be well come game one and you are right that as a veteran group this should occur. I am more worried about how long it will take for our NEW defense to gel. It they are up to speed by October, we can do some damage.[/quote]

yea you never like to see Palmer hit ever, but I think it was more an aberation. They kept him virtually spotless against a much better green bay defense on Monday.

Our offense will be fine. They struggled last preseason too, then promptly went out and put up 92 points in the first 3 weeks of the season.

Archived