-----BENGALS CUTS!!!!!!-----

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='693413' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:57 PM']And now, for all the JT haters... this is the difference between why JT is employed, and Rudi, Deltha, and Willie are not.

All four are older guys on the downside of their careers.

JT is a team-first guy who practices hard, and sets a positive example for his younger teammates.

Rudi, Deltha, and Willie... not so much. All were once very good at their jobs, but as they have gotten older and less valuable on the field, they have failed to become more valuable off of it. They are all still me-first guys whose production no longer outweighs their egos.

..just my .$02[/quote]

I think that pretty much sums it up. As I said before, I think the team saw them as bitter, broken down and not worth their contracts.

If that's true, you can't keep them. Not if it's going to cost you 9 million to keep Willie, Rudi and Deltha.

I think Willie and Rudi felt some entitlement to coast because of their past accomplishments. The past doesn't mean shit on the field though, and if the young guys are watching people coast and getting away with it, they're going to do the same thing after one or two good years.

I wish I had more confidence in our depth that's left, but sometimes it's better to move on and let the hungrier players get their shot.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='693556' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:57 PM']I think that pretty much sums it up. As I said before, I think the team saw them as bitter, broken down and not worth their contracts.

If that's true, you can't keep them. Not if it's going to cost you 9 million to keep Willie, Rudi and Deltha.

I think Willie and Rudi felt some entitlement to coast because of their past accomplishments. The past doesn't mean shit on the field though, and if the young guys are watching people coast and getting away with it, they're going to do the same thing after one or two good years.

I wish I had more confidence in our depth that's left, but sometimes it's better to move on and let the hungrier players get their shot.[/quote]
We'll get to see firsthand how it works out. I am actually hopeful.

Sigh.

I am less than excited about this year.

RT and CB are two of the most important positions on the field.

We are a turf toe away from starting David Jones and Scott Kooistra. Jones looked poor when i saw him in preseason and Kooistra cant play on an island. Chris Perry has shown that he is fragile....we are a play away from Kenny Watson being our bellcow back.

You think those are good ingridients for a winning year? I would gamble this team wins 6 games at most....we are in for a very rough year.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='693558' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:03 AM']Sigh.

We are a turf toe away from starting David Jones and Scott Kooistra. Jones looked poor when i saw him in preseason and Kooistra cant play on an island. Chris Perry has shown that he is fragile....we are a play away from Kenny Watson being our bellcow back.

You think those are good ingridients for a winning year? I would gamble this team wins 6 games at most....we are in for a very rough year.[/quote]
Your lack hope for someone that has an Obama avatar, for one.
For two, if we can't recover from injuries, then we should just hang it up, right? I understand what you're saying but you're offensive line shuffle isn't likely correct IF that happens. Whit would move to RT. Whit is pretty damn good. See sig.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='693560' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:08 AM']Your lack hope for someone that has an Obama avatar, for one.
For two, if we can't recover from injuries, then we should just hang it up, right? I understand what you're saying but you're offensive line shuffle isn't likely correct IF that happens. Whit would move to RT. Whit is pretty damn good. See sig.[/quote]

I agree...But who plays LG then? We are woefully thin at S, CB, OL and RB.

The release of Willie saved us 1.8 million per the salry cap page connected to this page. 1.8 million for a player who was such a vocal part of our turn around. Deltha O'neal played much better then David Jones in the preseason. Much better.

This is going to be another long year.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='693561' date='Aug 31 2008, 01:20 AM']The release of Willie saved us 1.8 million per the salry cap page connected to this page. 1.8 million for a player who was such a vocal part of our turn around. Deltha O'neal played much better then David Jones in the preseason. Much better.[/quote]

From earlier posts in this thread.

[quote]The working number was about $8 million in '08 money saved under the salary cap, which could benefit guys like Houshmandzadeh and kicker Shayne Graham, two other one-time Pro Bowlers whose contracts are up after this season.

Anderson already received a $2 million bonus back in January that he was to make on top of his $3 million salary for this year. He said the offer was to make it up in incentives if he played.[/quote]

[quote]Base salaries for the big cuts:

Willie Anderson $3.15 mil

Rudi Johnson $3.45 mil

Deltha O'Neal $2.85 mil[/quote]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='693562' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:34 AM']From earlier posts in this thread.[/quote]

That may have been his base salary, however, I beleive with his realease that his prorated bonus that was spread over the rest of the year jumps into this season, making his bonus that was allocated for this years cap jump. See the salary cap page.

[quote name='globetrotter' post='693561' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:20 AM']I agree...But who plays LG then? We are woefully thin at S, CB, OL and RB.

The release of Willie saved us 1.8 million per the salry cap page connected to this page. 1.8 million for a player who was such a vocal part of our turn around. Deltha O'neal played much better then David Jones in the preseason. Much better.

This is going to be another long year.[/quote]

well willie is terrible so he wouldnt help with OL depth. ive never seen a RT play worse than willie did in the 4th quarter vs saints.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='693564' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:59 AM']I can't believe they cut Deltha. THe others I could care a less, but Deltha? He's by far the best 3rd DB on this team.[/quote]

why? deltha was TERRIBLE in the preseason and he doesnt care. just like when he was in denver.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='693446' date='Aug 30 2008, 07:00 PM'][color="#0000FF"]Anyway, they'll never see this but to Rudi and Willie, guys, thanks for all the time you put in. You'll never be forgotten in the hearts of the people of Cincinnati. [/color][/quote]

[size=3]I respect and admire Rudi in much the same way that I still respect and admire Paul Robinson 40 years after we drafted him.
Rudi you're in my ring of honor, pal.
Willie's in, too[/size]
[size=3]Luv ya guys![/size] :applaud:

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals turn the page[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Anderson, Johnson, O'Neal combined to play 6 Pro Bowls[/b][/size]
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 31, 2008

The Bengals let go of three long-time starters Saturday in right tackle Willie Anderson, tailback Rudi Johnson and cornerback Deltha O'Neal who had played in a combined six Pro Bowls while with the team.

They also saved themselves about $9 million in 2008 salaries, though the financial impact on the club is difficult to figure because of the effects of amortized signing bonuses that still count against the salary cap. Salary cap savings could go toward contract extensions for cornerback Johnathan Joseph, whose deal is up after 2010, or wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who is entering the last year of his contract.

Anderson, a first-round draft pick in 1996, was offered a deal.

"They wanted me to take a pay cut," he said. "I wouldn't do it."

He felt "blindsided" by the Bengals but wished them well. Head coach Marvin Lewis left the door cracked for a possible Anderson return, though it probably wouldn't happen until the week after the Sept. 7 season opener at Baltimore because veteran players signed after Game 1 are not guaranteed their full-year salary if they are injured.

"If I continue to go on (with another team), I will," Anderson said. "If not, it would be to go show the people who doubted me that I can still play."

Anderson, who had lost his starting job to Stacy Andrews during the offseason, was due to make a base salary of $3.15 million this season. The Bengals paid him a $2 million roster bonus Jan. 15.

Foot and knee injuries forced him to miss nine games in 2007, snapping his 116-game starts streak.

"Well, we haven't seen the day-to-day-to-day that you need," Lewis said when asked about Anderson. "... It's important that we start our season healthy and I've made that very clear."

Anderson was the emotional leader and stabilizing force for the Bengals.

"He has been significant to me. He has been significant to this organization, beyond me," Lewis said.

The Bengals are paying Andrews a $7.455 million one-year salary as the club's franchise player. They would like to sign him to a long-term deal, Lewis has said.

Johnson, slowed by a hamstring injury in the preseason, had been the subject of trade rumors the past week. He did not play in any exhibition games, including at Indianapolis last Thursday when he said he was healthy enough to see action.

O'Neal played in 16 games with eight starts in 2007 but did not endear himself to coaches when he chose to skip the 13-week voluntary offseason strength and conditioning program.

"Obviously, the play fell off in '07, and we just haven't seen a lot of change thus far this year," Lewis said of Anderson, Johnson and O'Neal. "It's kind of a hard decision to make but it is the decision we made. ... We haven't seen Rudi play, and I've seen Rudi practice very few times and cut it loose very few times."

Johnson, who missed five games in 2007 with a hamstring injury, was due to make a base salary of $3.2 million in 2008. He is the third-leading rusher in franchise history. with 5,742 yards.

The Bengals are set to go with Chris Perry as their starting tailback, with Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey backing him up.

"He's never had that opportunity, so this is his chance," Lewis said of Perry. "This is what he's asked for and wanted. He's worked extremely hard to return from his injury to have this (opportunity), and he's made good on it."

Perry, the team's first-round pick in 2004, has played in just 22 of a possible 64 games over four seasons and hadn't played since Nov. 26, 2006, at Cleveland, where he dislocated his ankle and injured his shin.

As a third-down back in 2005, Perry had 51 receptions. He is dangerous with the ball in the open field.

"We felt very comfortable keeping him in there on third down, so I think he'll log more playing time than anyone we've had back there for a while," Lewis said.

Other notable releases were linebacker Ahmad Brooks, a former third-round pick; and former No. 3 quarterback Jeff Rowe. The Bengals kept Jordan Palmer, brother of starter Carson Palmer, at quarterback behind top backup Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The team also kept six safeties and six wide receivers. Backup safeties Herana-Daze Jones, Kyries Hebert and Corey Lynch are staples on special teams.

Rookie wide receiver Andre Caldwell (foot) and backup strong safety Chinedum Ndukwe (leg) are close to coming back, Lewis said. The team might not know the prognosis for rookie defensive tackle Pat Sims (foot) for a few weeks. He was one of nine defensive linemen kept on the roster, where he was joined by fellow rookie Jason Shirley.

The Bengals expect full participation in practice Monday from several starters who were injured in the preseason, including Houshmandzadeh, defensive end Antwan Odom and safety Dexter Jackson (ankle). The team could make more moves today when waived players from other teams will be available. They can sign eight additional players to their practice squad.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080831/SPT02/808310403/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../808310403/1066[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals' Brooks gets his walking papers[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 31, 2008

CINCINNATI — Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis wielded a heavy ax on Saturday, Aug. 30, whacking linebackers Ahmad Brooks and Jim Maxwell, defensive end Eric Henderson, tight end Nate Lawrie and quarterback Jeff Rowe.

He decided to go heavy on the defensive line and secondary, and keep just six linebackers.

Defensive tackle Michael Myers stuck because rookie Pat Sims is suffering from a sprained big toe.

"Pat's not been able to work," Lewis said. "We're probably a couple weeks away from seeing him, and making a determination on him. We elected to keep an extra guy just so we make sure that when we go into Baltimore, I know I've got the right guy to suit up on Sunday."

[b]Perry starts[/b]

Rudi Johnson's release solidifies Chris Perry as the starting tailback. Perry, who hasn't played since fracturing his right ankle at Cleveland on Nov. 26, 2006, is safely out of Johnson's shadow.

"He's never had that opportunity, so this is his chance," Lewis said. "This is what he's asked for and wanted. He's worked extremely hard to return from his injury to have this (opportunity) and he's made good on it. Now it's time, so he has everything to play and it ought to be exciting to him.."

[b]Safety help[/b]

The club kept six safeties as insurance because two are injured. Dexter Jackson (sprained ankle) is due to practice on Monday, and Chinedum Ndukwe is close to returning from a sprained knee.

Marvin White, Kyries Hebert, Corey Lynch and Herana-Daze Jones are needed while Jackson and Ndukwe mend.

[b]Brothers in arms[/b]

Rowe's exit means Jordan Palmer is the No. 3 quarterback behind his brother, Carson, and backup Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Does this keep the Palmer family happy?

"I don't think that had anything to do with the decision," Lewis said.

[b]Not finished[/b]

Lewis indicated the club isn't finished making moves.

Example: Simeon Castille, a nondrafted rookie from Alabama, made the club as the fourth cornerback behind Johnathan Joseph, Leon Hall and David Jones.

"For now," Lewis said. "Nobody is promised tomorrow."

Lewis said the club will scour the waiver wire and examine "the possibility of claiming a player or two at some point by noon (today) and we'll settle our practice squad."

[b]Rookie report[/b]

Of the 10 draft picks, the first seven selected made the squad while the final three didn't.

Sixth-round tight end Matt Sherry (shoulder) was placed on injured reserve and is out for the year, while the pair of seventh-rounders — defensive end Angelo Craig and wide receiver Mario Urrutia — were released. Both should land on the practice squad if they clear waivers.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/08/31/ddn083108spbennotes.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=25"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...=7&cxcat=25[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Roster cuts, budget cuts[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Waiving Anderson, Rudi Johnson, O'Neal will save team $9.2 million [/b][/size]
Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:29 AM
By Scott Priestle

The Columbus Dispatch

CINCINNATI -- The Bengals saved more than $9 million yesterday but might have gambled something more valuable than salary-cap space: leadership, depth and good will.

The team released veteran offensive tackle Willie Anderson, perhaps the most popular player among teammates; running back Rudi Johnson, once one of the stars of a high-powered offense; and former Pro Bowl cornerback Deltha O'Neal. The trio would have made a combined $9.2 million to be backups, and each was slowed in recent weeks by injuries.

In their stead, the Bengals have Stacy Andrews at right tackle and Chris Perry at running back, in what would be each player's first full season as a starter. Scott Kooistra and guard Andrew Whitworth become the primary backups at tackle, and career backup Kenny Watson and seldom-used DeDe Dorsey are the backups at running back. The four cornerbacks on the roster have a combined four seasons in the NFL.

Coach Marvin Lewis said health, not price tag or exper-ience, was the biggest factor.

"It's important that we start the season healthy," he said. "I've made that very clear from the start. ... We're going to move on and try to find the best other guys, because we've got to have guys we can count on all the time."

The Bengals cut 22 players in all yesterday to get their roster to 53. They can sign players to the practice squad beginning at noon today, and it's possible they will claim a few players off waivers.

In addition to releasing Anderson, Johnson and O'Neal, the Bengals waived linebacker Ahmad Brooks, quarterback Jeff Rowe, defensive end Eric Henderson and seventh-round draft picks Angelo Craig and Mario Urrutia.

Undrafted cornerback Simeon Castille is still on the roster, as is Carson Palmer's brother Jordan as the third quarterback. The Bengals kept six safeties, five defensive tackles and three centers because key players at those positions are still recovering from injuries, albeit injuries that are not expected to linger.

It is all subject to change as the Bengals peruse the waiver wire. Lewis also kept open the possibility that the team will re-sign one of the veterans at a lower salary.

The production of Anderson, Johnson and O'Neal fell off last season, "and we just haven't seen a lot of change," Lewis said. Johnson missed most of training camp because of a nagging hamstring injury, and Anderson and O'Neal had occasional days off to rest their legs.

Johnson was set to make $3.2 million this season. Anderson was due $3.15 million in salary; he was paid a $2 million roster bonus in January. O'Neal was due $2.85 million.

Anderson was the senior Bengal and perhaps the most respected player on the team. Asked if he feared losing that leadership, Lewis pointed out that the team played much of last season without Anderson, then added, "You don't miss a person unless he's playing for you."

While Lewis's logic is questionable, the team's direction is indisputable. The Bengals are younger, cheaper and healthier today than they were last week.

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/08/31/bengals_cuts_0831.ART_ART_08-31-08_C9_86B6I79.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=Bengals%3A+Roster+cuts%2C+budget+cuts"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...%2C+budget+cuts[/url]

[i]"It's important that we start the season healthy," he said. "I've made that very clear from the start. ... We're going to move on and try to find the best other guys, because [b]we've got to have guys we can count on all the time[/b]."[/i]

Since when does Chris Perry fit that description?
:lol:

[quote name='globetrotter' post='693558' date='Aug 31 2008, 01:03 AM']Sigh.

You think those are good ingridients for a winning year? I would gamble this team wins 6 games at most....we are in for a very rough year.[/quote]

gotta be a hell of "a turf toe" to knock out two players at completely different positions...

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='693413' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:57 PM']And now, for all the JT haters... this is the difference between why JT is employed, and Rudi, Deltha, and Willie are not.

All four are older guys on the downside of their careers.

JT is a team-first guy who practices hard, and sets a positive example for his younger teammates.

Rudi, Deltha, and Willie... not so much. All were once very good at their jobs, but as they have gotten older and less valuable on the field, they have failed to become more valuable off of it. They are all still me-first guys whose production no longer outweighs their egos.

..just my .$02[/quote]

Yea, who needs 2 or 3 more cheerleaders around here so let's pick out one, the very one ML brought here as his very first great FA pick-up, :rolleyes:, yea, keep a cheerleader who can't stop the run or make a tackle for $4M, but hey, they is just my 2 cents worth..

Willie did not practice? Deltha? Willie is a ME first guy? You have lost it!

[quote name='TigerJ@w' post='693655' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:38 AM']Yea, who needs 2 or 3 more cheerleaders around here so let's pick out one, the very one ML brought here as his very first great FA pick-up, :rolleyes:, yea, keep a cheerleader who can't stop the run or make a tackle for $4M, but hey, they is just my 2 cents worth..

Willie did not practice? Deltha? Willie is a ME first guy? You have lost it![/quote]

willie is without a doubt a me first guy...

None of these cuts by themself are that suprising, but as a whole it shows that we dont expect to make the playoffs this year. Looks like theyve gone all out rebuilding.

Im not mad about any of the moves. Rudi sucked ass last year, same with Willie. Both were old, expensive, and didnt fit into future plans. Clearly they were on the downside of their careers. Oneal suprised me a bit, sucks that Brooks didnt work out he had a ton of talent.

I still think we should have gone 2 QBs and put Rowe or Jordan on the practice squad. No one would of signed either of them.

[quote name='CTA513' post='693806' date='Aug 31 2008, 05:55 PM']49ers claimed Brooks

[url="http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=4554&section=PR%20News"]http://49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?...ction=PR%20News[/url][/quote]

zero supprise as they were the other team trying to get him when we drafted him

Archived