Why isn't Mike Brown saying this?

[quote name='Jason' post='701932' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:01 AM']Greedy? No.

Stupid? ?????[/quote]
I don't think MB is stupid. Why risk seriously damaging a relationship only two games into a season? You may like him saying shit like this to the press, but really it would not have any positive affect. Marvin and Mike talk and maybe they've already had this discussion.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='702001' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:49 AM']I don't think MB is stupid. Why risk seriously damaging a relationship only two games into a season? You may like him saying shit like this to the press, but really it would not have any positive affect. Marvin and Mike talk and maybe they've already had this discussion.[/quote]

good post. seems like crowd pleasing after a relationship is already broken.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' post='702001' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:49 AM']I don't think MB is stupid. Why risk seriously damaging a relationship only two games into a season? You may like him saying shit like this to the press, but really it would not have any positive affect. Marvin and Mike talk and maybe they've already had this discussion.[/quote]

True. I guess it's the desire for someone from the front office to have show that fire, passion in the organization. Hell, Castellini did that when he brought Walt J. to GM and we all know how the Reds season turned out.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='701919' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:03 AM']coaching, leadership, and lack of attitude/swagger.

Hall, Joseph, Whitworth, Ndukwe, Peko, Geathers, White, Carson, Steinbach, Kelley Washington, Rivers, Andrews, jeremi, Kooistra, and Fanene have all been good draft picks, to name a few.

Guys like Pollack, Tab, Kilmer, Kieft, Madieu, Perry and Irons have been/were slowed by injuries that occured in the NFL, which you can't really associate with their drafting. Other than Kieft and Irons, all showed that they were solid picks when they were actually on the field, particularly Pollack, Tab, and Perry. Guys like Rucker are finally producing now that they're healthy. Again, you can't criticize a draft for injuries that occur afterward. You can criticize it for poor play, but not injuries. If we had taken Ellis in rd 1 and he breaks his neck in training camp and his career is over, that doesn't mean he was the wrong draft choice. It was still the right pick.

This years' draft should yield at least 1 DT to pair with Peko for years to come. Lynch also looks like he's a going to be a great late round pick. While they haven't shown much yet, both Caldwell, Collins, and Sims were considered steals at where we got them.[/quote]

Hall and Joseph are first round picks, I would hope they are good. Carson is our lone ProBowler of the group that is still with the team (which I mentioned before). Jeremi Johnson has talent, but can't avoid Waffle House at 3AM. The others you mention are average or above average IMO.

[quote name='Jungle1' post='702180' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:48 PM']Hall and Joseph are first round picks, I would hope they are good. Carson is our lone ProBowler of the group that is still with the team (which I mentioned before). Jeremi Johnson has talent, but can't avoid Waffle House at 3AM. [b] The others you mention are average or above average IMO.[/b][/quote]

so you're complaining that I mentioned above average draft picks? :huh: Also, considering how many 1st round busts are in the NFL, Hall and Joseph are most certainly worth mentioning.

[quote]A GM, regardless of who it is, marks a shift in personel and hiring decisions from Mike Brown to someone whose sole resoponsibility is making football decisions. Someone who doesn't have to run a business and a stadium...someone who can dedicate all of his time and energy to scouting, evaluating and hiring talent.[/quote]

Because it's worked out so well with Millen in Detroit hasn't it.

:needasmileytheoppositeofaninja:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='702183' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:54 PM']so you're complaining that I mentioned above average draft picks? :huh: Also, considering how many 1st round busts are in the NFL, Hall and Joseph are most certainly worth mentioning.[/quote]

You were mentioning late round gems at first. I really don't think we have many at this point that were drafted under Marvin Lews (rounds 5-7).

Also, I was arguing that we have drafted only one ProBowler under Marvin. I think since Marvin has been here we should have been able to draft more than one Pro Bowler.

Finally, I like J-Jo, but I am hoping he is not becoming an injury risk. We'll see how long he is out this year. Last year he could not get back to 100%

[quote name='Jungle1' post='702193' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:02 PM']You were mentioning late round gems at first. I really don't think we have many at this point that were drafted under Marvin Lews (rounds 5-7).

Also, I was arguing that we have drafted only one ProBowler under Marvin. I think since Marvin has been here we should have been able to draft more than one Pro Bowler.

Finally, I like J-Jo, but I am hoping he is not becoming an injury risk. We'll see how long he is out this year. [b] Last year he could not get back to 100%[/b][/quote]

JJoe was 100% (speed wise, he was healthy before that) by midseason and finished the season strong.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='701924' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:31 AM']:doh:

Sorry - but I have to call foul on this.

This is way too generic and does nothing to solve the problem. If you want them to hire a GM - please indicate who...specifically. A nameless/faceless GM does nothing to improve the Bengals chances of winning. Quick question... how many 0-2 NFL teams currently have a GM?

[u]A[/u] GM does not = winning

[u]A[/u] GM does not solve the problem.

Please indicate who...or don't bother.

NOTE - Yes, I realize a Browns fan posted this... But I hear the same thing from Bengals fans. The problem with Mike Brown has nothing to do with his GM abilities. His biggest problem is that he does not demand winning.[/quote]
Here is the rest of my quote
[quote]The Bengals need a GM, and they need to let that GM run the team.

Much like the Browns with Carmen Policy and Dwight..eh...you know..

[b]Once they deiced to get a real football guy to run the team[/b], things have turned around..not completely mind you, but they are getting better.[/quote]

Before the Browns hired a GM, I couldnt tell you who the next great GM would be. I couldnt have told you that Phil Savage was they guy to get, BUT it was obvious that the Browns needed a "Football guy" in that position.

Savage has a knack for scouting, and thats paid huge dividends, so far...long way to go, but you a bug difference, They have quality players in places that they didnt before. O-line, D-Line, Skill position players.

I dont know who the next great GM candidate is, but having a good GM makes everyone job a little easier to do.

Bill Cowher would be a good candidate, if I have to provide a guys name. Not sure he would accept, as I believe hes waiting for the Carolina job

[quote name='Jungle1' post='702193' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:02 AM']I think since Marvin has been here we should have been able to draft more than one Pro Bowler.[/quote]

But we're the Bengals. Pro-Bowl is entirely popularity related, assuming that someone isn't putting up enormous stats where the casual fan can just sort by TDs or INTs and vote based on that.

We struggle to produce Pro-Bowl guys for the same reason Ken Anderson and Isaac Curtis aren't in the HOF. We're a small-market team who hasn't won a Superbowl.

Plus Pro-Bowl is wholly meaningless. Two teams of guys, half of whom don't show up, playing in a match neither of them care about.

It's more important that they play to a consistently high level.
VB

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='702183' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:54 PM']so you're complaining that I mentioned above average draft picks? :huh: Also, considering how many 1st round busts are in the NFL, Hall and Joseph are most certainly worth mentioning.[/quote]

clearly every other team drafted nothing but pro bowl players in all 7 rounds... how stupid of you to be o kwith having great role players from rounds 3+ in the draft...

CLEARLY we would all be much better off if mike brown would backstab and sell out his own head coach to try to save face in the MEDIA...

wowzers. this thread is FULL of brilliant successful ideas.

Archived