Anyone want to do an avatar bet

[quote name='oftt4' post='719843' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:52 AM']Not sure what you are going for here, but yeah...football is obviously a team sport. Pretty sure Brady, Manning, and Ben werent the only ones to get a ring.

What I am getting at is that individual accomplishments are all well and good, but at the end of the day it is how you help your team win games that really matters.

Palmer is the second coming of Jesus, he won the Heisman, yet USC got better after he left (winning the AP national chamionship the following year, and the BCS/AP chamionship the year after that).

Palmer won a ProBowl MVP, great. Yet he has a losing record as a starter and his team has only made the playoffs once.

Like I have long argued to no avail around these parts, there are stat compilers, and there are winners. I guess you have to decide which you like better.[/quote]

I know I know, Palmer is the reason those teams didnt win.

You really dont believe that do you? I mean I give you a hard time, but I really didnt think you [i]really[/i] rode the short bus to school growing up.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='720889' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:10 AM']Unfortuantely for you, he is right.

Which is why in my bet, I specified it would only be for a week and not until the next game. :fing03:

B)[/quote]

Yes, you are quite clever. I assume we will have a rematch for the next game as well (based on the Vegas spread if you want).

Oh, and congrats on the win boys. Hurts your chances for the #1 pick though.

[quote name='oftt4' post='720900' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:33 AM']Yes, you are quite clever. I assume we will have a rematch for the next game as well (based on the Vegas spread if you want).

[color="#FF0000"]Oh, and congrats on the win boys. Hurts your chances for the #1 pick though.[/color][/quote]

I mean really, did you really expect us to get #1? Really?

With our needs Im not sure I even wanted the #1 as there really arent any LBs (or hybrid DEs) worth the #1 pick.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='720986' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:11 PM'][b]I mean really, did you really expect us to get #1? Really?[/b]

With our needs Im not sure I even wanted the #1 as there really arent any LBs (or hybrid DEs) worth the #1 pick.[/quote]

Ummm...yes?

You were 0-8. Now you are 1-8. You are still on pace to get the #2 pick. 5 of your remaining 7 games are almost guaranteed losses.

As a matter of fact, the Cinci-KC game in week 17 could decide who gets picks 1, 2, and 3.

[quote name='bammorrisgotmehigh' post='720807' date='Nov 2 2008, 08:31 PM']Um, Mr. Bunghole sir, if you look at the beginning of the thread the bet was until we play again.

:thumbsdown:[/quote]
Fuck. I'll put it back up. Dammit. I hate that thing. It's like having that symbiotic parasitic black goop from Spiderman 3 all over you.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721361' date='Nov 4 2008, 05:26 PM']Ummm...yes?

You were 0-8. Now you are 1-8. You are still on pace to get the #2 pick. 5 of your remaining 7 games are almost guaranteed losses.

As a matter of fact, the Cinci-KC game in week 17 could decide who gets picks 1, 2, and 3.[/quote]
Weren't the jags supposed to be a guarenteed loss?

At least in my mind it was. Tough runners and a pretty good quarterback and a maybe not great but a good defense.

Just depends on what team shows up to play.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='721365' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:47 PM']Fuck. I'll put it back up. Dammit. I hate that thing. It's like having that symbiotic parasitic black goop from Spiderman 3 all over you.[/quote]

I ad-blocked your signature, just so you know...

[quote name='JC' post='721422' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:09 PM']Weren't the jags supposed to be a guarenteed loss?

At least in my mind it was. Tough runners and a pretty good quarterback and a maybe not great but a good defense.

Just depends on what team shows up to play.[/quote]

Probably was considered a loss, but the Jags are struggling this year. They arent quite as good as Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltmore, or Washington. It's a tough choice between you and Indi...but I would take Indi in the shootout that it will most likely become.

I say the Bengals will go 3-4 the rest of the way at best, but I could be wrong. You seem to have found a running game.

As for a "good" defense. We'll have to disagree on that one. 25th in scoring, 21st in total yardage, 24th in rushing, 25th in INT's, 31st in sacks, etc. That is well below average in just about every way. Pretty decent in pass D, but that is about it.

Hey, I'm rooting for you guys....I dont want you to get a high draft pick, but it looks like you are a lock for top 3.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721361' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:26 PM']Ummm...yes?

As a matter of fact, the Cinci-KC game in week 17 could decide who gets picks 1, 2, and 3.[/quote]

0-16 has never been done in the histroy of the NFL it is so statisticly improbable you would be [b]HOPING[/b] that it would have happened and not expecting it to.

And Detroit is in much worse shape than we are.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721565' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:46 AM']Probably was considered a loss, but the Jags are struggling this year. They arent quite as good as Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltmore, or Washington. It's a tough choice between you and Indi...but I would take Indi in the shootout that it will most likely become.

I say the Bengals will go 3-4 the rest of the way at best, but I could be wrong. You seem to have found a running game.

As for a "good" defense. We'll have to disagree on that one. 25th in scoring, 21st in total yardage, 24th in rushing, 25th in INT's, 31st in sacks, etc. That is well below average in just about every way. Pretty decent in pass D, but that is about it.

Hey, I'm rooting for you guys....I dont want you to get a high draft pick,[b] but it looks like you are a lock for top 3.[/b][/quote]

That I agree with and since Palmer went down have been saying so. Hopefully it gets us a good Hybrid DE that we can make our version of Suggs, to get this pass rush fixed.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='721595' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:18 PM']That I agree with and since Palmer went down have been saying so. Hopefully it gets us a good Hybrid DE that we can make our version of Suggs, to get this pass rush fixed.[/quote]

Yeah, you guys need a beast at DE or LB to make a difference quickly.

I think this is the year Pittsburgh finally makes a move for a top flight OL (center or LT). I am pretty sure they will get a 3rd round comp pick for Faneca, which means they could easily package up their 1st and 3rd (or 1st and 2nd) to move up in the first (if necessary) to get a franchise OL and still use their next two picks to get other starter quality lineman on either side of the ball.

I am really hoping there is a wealth of highly ranked skill position players in the next draft (which we dont need) so that the great lineman fall to us. If we get a stud lineman without having to trade up in the first, we could revamp the entire O-line in a single offseason.

Wishful thinking.

Oh, and for the record I never said I thought you were going 0-16. I just said I thought you had a good chance at the #1 pick.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721619' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:11 PM']Yeah, you guys need a beast at DE or LB to make a difference quickly.

I think this is the year Pittsburgh finally makes a move for a top flight OL (center or LT). I am pretty sure they will get a 3rd round comp pick for Faneca, which means they could easily package up their 1st and 3rd (or 1st and 2nd) to move up in the first (if necessary) to get a franchise OL and still use their next two picks to get other starter quality lineman on either side of the ball.

I am really hoping there is a wealth of highly ranked skill position players in the next draft (which we dont need) so that the great lineman fall to us. If we get a stud lineman without having to trade up in the first, we could revamp the entire O-line in a single offseason.

Wishful thinking.

Oh, and for the record I never said I thought you were going 0-16. [b] I just said I thought you had a good chance at the #1 pick.[/b][/quote]

We arent as bad as Detroit.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721636' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:58 PM']That may be, but it really doesnt matter who is worse. It only matters who ends up with more wins.[/quote]

I know what your getting at and the idea that bad teams can get wins thus screw up their chance at higher picks, but seriously detrioit is really earing that #1 pick.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='721684' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:22 PM']I know what your getting at and the idea that bad teams can get wins thus screw up their chance at higher picks, but seriously detrioit is really earing that #1 pick.[/quote]

They are the top contender, certainly.

But they are bound to be better with Culpepper than they were with Orlovsky. They have lost 3 or 4 close games (the last 4 actually), and they have 2 or 3 winnable games to go. We'll see how it turns out.

[quote name='oftt4' post='721940' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:17 AM']They are the top contender, certainly.

But they are bound to be better with Culpepper than they were with Orlovsky. They have lost 3 or 4 close games (the last 4 actually), and they have 2 or 3 winnable games to go. We'll see how it turns out.[/quote]

Is the guy even in football shape or able to play anymore? He's gonna have to learn the playbook after game 8? Yeah im not super worried about detroit.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='721945' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:30 AM']Is the guy even in football shape or able to play anymore? He's gonna have to learn the playbook after game 8? Yeah im not super worried about detroit.[/quote]

Not sure, but rumors have him starting this weekend.

I am not saying he is the answer for Detroit, but he cant be any worse than the guy they had in there. It'll be interesting to see what he has left after bitching so much about getting no respect.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='725207' date='Nov 18 2008, 02:40 PM']We having a rematch (with the Vegas spread) oftt?[/quote]

Sounds good to me, though I am definately not as confident about the Steelers covering the spread this time around. The defense is amazing, but O has been struggling to put up points.

But that's what "gambling" is all about I guess.

I'll take Steelers -10.5 (that is the spread I saw). One week av bet again? Or do you want to up the stakes? Doesnt matter to me, however I am no longer a member of the Steelers board I used to frequent, so I will have to do it here.

[quote name='oftt4' post='725332' date='Nov 19 2008, 07:39 AM']Sounds good to me, though I am definately not as confident about the Steelers covering the spread this time around. The defense is amazing, but O has been struggling to put up points.

But that's what "gambling" is all about I guess.

I'll take Steelers -10.5 (that is the spread I saw). One week av bet again? Or do you want to up the stakes? Doesnt matter to me, [color="#FF0000"]however I am no longer a member of the Steelers board I used to frequent[/color], so I will have to do it here.[/quote]

:mellow:

Had a little falling out there, I was called a few nasty names, I called a few people nasty names.

I was banned for a week and the others werent. I quickly realized that the rules there dont apply to everyone, so I chose not to go back. No big deal. I post over here more often anyway.

Archived