• Trade if possible
  12. 12. LT Levi Jones

• Keep
    • Cut
    • Trade if possible
  13. 13. FB _______

• Where in the fuck is our Full Back ?
    • He's eating triple shifts @ Skyline
  14. 14. Which O Position is the weakest ?

• QB
    • RB
    • WR
    • OT
    • OG
    • C
    • TE
  15. 15. Which O Position is the Strongest ?

• QB
    • WR
    • OT
    • OG
    • RB
    • C
    • TE
  16. 16. Grade the Bengals current Offense from a personnel standpoint if fully healthy ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Fucktastic

[quote name='theman' post='718559' date='Oct 27 2008, 05:56 PM']I wouldn't take the Job.[/quote]

I would. Apparently I would do better as GM than Mike Brown since I wouldn't have screwed up the paperwork on the Rogers trade and would have accepted the trade offer for Chad.

Hey Mike, I'll take the lowest GM salary in the league and you can have a whipping boy if the team doesn't do well. What do you say?

[quote name='sparky151' post='718562' date='Oct 27 2008, 06:05 PM']I would. Apparently I would do better as GM than Mike Brown since I wouldn't have screwed up the paperwork on the Rogers trade and would have accepted the trade offer for Chad.

Hey Mike, I'll take the lowest GM salary in the league and you can have a whipping boy if the team doesn't do well. What do you say?[/quote]

lol people are still pretending the Bengals screwed up the Rogers deal?

I know Go seems to think that Chad is still holding his trade value, but I don't think he is. He drops way too many balls (like that TD catch yesterday), has WAY too many false start penalties, is a headcase, runs shitty routes, isn't tough, is injured and doesn't block.

All he's good at anymore is running his mouth. I know the QB/Oline situation hurts his production a lot, and other teams will recognize that too, but I don't think we'll ever see a trade offer like the one the Skins offered us during the draft, and offer we should have accepted. We'd be lucky to get a second-rounder for him now, and we should take it if we do.

It's hard to judge the QB/RB situation because of the oline.

I voted OT as the weakest position because there's two players starting that are underperforming, not just one like at C.

I think WR is still our strongest position group on offense, but half the time we just can't seem to get them the ball.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='718567' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:16 PM']lol people are still pretending the Bengals screwed up the Rogers deal?[/quote]

Is Rogers in a Bengals uniform on Sunday?

If not, they fucked it up.

Did you hear he had 9 tackles, one sack, and a blocked punt Sunday?

That's like Thorntons career.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='718582' date='Oct 27 2008, 06:57 PM']Is Rogers in a Bengals uniform on Sunday?

That's like Thorntons career.[/quote]
Thornton's had a sack? Are you sure it wasn't more like the opposing QB accidentally running into him while he was laying on the ground?

#1 need on both sides of the ball -------

LT, C, RT

Sign Andrews to an afforable contract as a guard or let him go.
Sign a LT tackle and make Levi the backup.
Whit to RT ???????? maybe but I have seen him owned and knocked backwards far too often.
C needs addressed --------- NOW !!!
Hope Collins pans out --------- but he has seen no time as of yet.

The wide outs can be replaced if the QB is kept clean and Benson/Triple D and maybe even Perry can get it done if the oline opens a hole.

Tj walks, COC & Henry are the 09 starters with Cadwell/Simpson/Chapman fighting for #3.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='718582' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:57 PM']Is Rogers in a Bengals uniform on Sunday?

That's like Thorntons career.[/quote]

funniest shit ever

[quote name='Jason' post='718610' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:25 PM'][url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=45544"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=45544[/url]

:)[/quote]

sorry man. i replied in yours but this one is more animated lol

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people want new OTs and everyone is happy with the OGs.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but aren't Gs more essential to the run game while Ts are more important to the pass game? (obviously everyone is important to success in every department, but work with me) I know pass protection has been bad all around this year...but the run game has been bad for 3 seasons and is even worse than the pass protection this year.

I don't buy that all of our run game troubles are related to Bluto at C. He sucks, but the interior of the line sucks as a whole. The majority of the board thinks Whit is pretty good. Where does that leave Williams? I mean if they are both good, shouldn't they be able to make up for Bluto being so bad? And I don't mean make up for him like we can compensate for a bad C and average 150 yards a game, but like we can run the ball up the middle occasionally as opposed to never.

I'm in the minority but I think Williams is a huge part of our OL troubles. Bluto-Williams-Andrews, that wing of the line is killing us. Williams and Andrews are 700lbs of men who should be able to push DLs back a yard or two with regularity...they get no push. Its not like they are just falling short of expectations in this department, they are out and out failing completely. Throw in that Whit doesn't pull that effectively and you get this debacle that we call a run game.

If I'm GM, Collins is getting a shot at G, Bluto and Andrews walk. Whit goes to RT and we're signing/drafting a C. In the poll I voted to cut Williams but I think i'd keep him for depth. His starting spot is up for grabs though as I'd draft a G early and try to bring in a vet to compete.

I know a lot of people are thinking "priority #1 is protecting Palmer" but I don't think we have to draft a LT to do it. Some adjustments in the play calling/protection (read: an emphasis on short, up-tempo passing via a new OC and a new OL coach), and strengthing the middle of the line could go a long way. If the run game can improve with these changes then that will only help to keep Palmer upright.

I would much rather the team get another star caliber player on D with the impending #1 overall pick. We haven't had a game-changer on that side of the ball (Thurman was close, but made lots of mistakes too) since pretty much before I could really follow the team. Get a stud LB or DE who can make shit happen on D and lets re-tool the offense cause trying to re-create that 05 offense is just an exercise in futility and it seems thats what they are trying to do.

Lets get awesome on D and efficient on O instead of explosive but inconsistant on O and bad on D.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='718657' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:41 PM'][b]I'm kind of surprised to see so many people want new OTs and everyone is happy with the OGs.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but aren't Gs more essential to the run game while Ts are more important to the pass game?[/b] (obviously everyone is important to success in every department, but work with me) I know pass protection has been bad all around this year...but the run game has been bad for 3 seasons and is even worse than the pass protection this year.

I don't buy that all of our run game troubles are related to Bluto at C. He sucks, but the interior of the line sucks as a whole. The majority of the board thinks Whit is pretty good. Where does that leave Williams? I mean if they are both good, shouldn't they be able to make up for Bluto being so bad? And I don't mean make up for him like we can compensate for a bad C and average 150 yards a game, but like we can run the ball up the middle occasionally as opposed to never.

I'm in the minority but I think Williams is a huge part of our OL troubles. Bluto-Williams-Andrews, that wing of the line is killing us. Williams and Andrews are 700lbs of men who should be able to push DLs back a yard or two with regularity...they get no push. Its not like they are just falling short of expectations in this department, they are out and out failing completely. Throw in that Whit doesn't pull that effectively and you get this debacle that we call a run game.

If I'm GM, Collins is getting a shot at G, Bluto and Andrews walk. Whit goes to RT and we're signing/drafting a C. In the poll I voted to cut Williams but I think i'd keep him for depth. His starting spot is up for grabs though as I'd draft a G early and try to bring in a vet to compete.

I know a lot of people are thinking "priority #1 is protecting Palmer" but I don't think we have to draft a LT to do it. Some adjustments in the play calling/protection (read: an emphasis on short, up-tempo passing via a new OC and a new OL coach), and strengthing the middle of the line could go a long way. If the run game can improve with these changes then that will only help to keep Palmer upright.

I would much rather the team get another star caliber player on D with the impending #1 overall pick. We haven't had a game-changer on that side of the ball (Thurman was close, but made lots of mistakes too) since pretty much before I could really follow the team. Get a stud LB or DE who can make shit happen on D and lets re-tool the offense cause trying to re-create that 05 offense is just an exercise in futility and it seems thats what they are trying to do.

Lets get awesome on D and efficient on O instead of explosive but inconsistant on O and bad on D.[/quote]

I think part of that is when the tackles fail in the passing game it's a LOT more obvious than when the guards fail in the run game. I also think most here blame most of the interior blocking problems on Ghiaciuc rather than the guards.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='718657' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:41 PM']I'm kind of surprised to see so many people want new OTs and everyone is happy with the OGs.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but aren't Gs more essential to the run game while Ts are more important to the pass game? (obviously everyone is important to success in every department, but work with me) I know pass protection has been bad all around this year...but the run game has been bad for 3 seasons and is even worse than the pass protection this year.

Lets get awesome on D and efficient on O instead of explosive but inconsistant on O and bad on D.[/quote]

Anyone else? Comments on Gs vs Ts? Our QB is getting sacked from all angles not just whoever happens to be beating Levi that day. Adding a stud LT will help keep Palmer upright, but so would improving the run game and strengthing the middle of the OL.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='718826' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:50 AM']Anyone else? Comments on Gs vs Ts? Our QB is getting sacked from all angles not just whoever happens to be beating Levi that day. Adding a stud LT will help keep Palmer upright, but so would improving the run game and strengthing the middle of the OL.[/quote]

I hear what your are saying and somewhat agree that the interrior is crutical to the running game, but Id argue that Bobbie isnt the issue, he was here when we were running well. I'd argue that Whit isnt as good of a run blocker that stienbach (sp?) was, in fact Id say it isnt close. Which is why I want to see us move Whit to RT, let stacey walk and draft the best pulling G in the 2nd round available. That way we can focus the 1st round on Def, since we have needs there too.

My offseason would consist of signing Suggs as our ROLB drafting Maualuga with the first pick and addressing the Oline with picks 2 & 3 (guard and center). I know a couple have mentioned Ray Lewis as the mike and drafting a guy like Orakpo or Selvie to be the ROLB. I wouldnt hate that, but I think you'd be replacing Lewis within 3 years where as with Suggs you'd get the full lifespan of his contract. (also if we did this we could FINALLY stop complaining about both Pollack and Thurman not being replaced as you would be addressing both positions)

The right-hand side of the line is ok, the left hand side is terrible. So our only option is to run to the right. Unfortunately we've only got two plays that are runs to the right. One involves a toss play, we know how well that works, and the other involves putting TJ in motion, and we might as well hold up a big sign saying "it's a run to the right".

So because the LT/LG/C combo is made of entire suckage then we've no running game at all.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='718832' date='Oct 28 2008, 11:58 AM']I hear what your are saying and somewhat agree that the interrior is crutical to the running game, but Id argue that Bobbie isnt the issue, he was here when we were running well. [b]I'd argue that Whit isnt as good of a run blocker that stienbach (sp?) was, in fact Id say it isnt close[/b]. Which is why I want to see us move Whit to RT, let stacey walk and draft the best pulling G in the 2nd round available. That way we can focus the 1st round on Def, since we have needs there too.[/quote]

Albert Haynesworth would disagree with you. Jeff Fisher said after the Titans gane that Whit had Haynesworth frustrated. Whitworth isn't as athletic as Steinbach was, and can't pull the way he did (which has some impact on our running game since that power ISO with Steinbach pulling was a staple of our running attack). But Whitworth is a much better straight up blocker against the big DTs and NTs.

[quote name='Jason' post='718873' date='Oct 28 2008, 12:21 PM']Albert Haynesworth would disagree with you. Jeff Fisher said after the Titans gane that Whit had Haynesworth frustrated. Whitworth isn't as athletic as Steinbach was, and can't pull the way he did ([color="#FF0000"]which has some impact on our running game since that power ISO with Steinbach pulling was a staple of our running attack[/color]). But Whitworth is a much better straight up blocker against the big DTs and NTs.[/quote]

some?

[quote name='Jason' post='718894' date='Oct 28 2008, 12:36 PM']So adapt. You have different strengths now, run different plays.[/quote]

I dont know whit may be a great pass blocker, but i dont see the great run blocking, Fisher was talking blocking in general I'd imagine.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='718899' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:39 PM']I dont know whit may be a great pass blocker, but i dont see the great run blocking, [b]Fisher was talking blocking in general I'd imagine.[/b][/quote]

Complements on blocking the best DL in the game in any fashion are good.

But I agree with Jason they needed to adapt to what they have on the line and that hasn't happend. I'm a hockey player, not a football player so I don't know the in's and outs of OL blocking schemes, but I know enough to understand that there are different schools on how to set up blocking for the run game.
Its why teams like Den, Pitt, Indy (up until this year) and Atl always have successful run games despite carousels at OL and RB.

I can't tell you what scheme we are running, or which other one they should try, but we've been running into walls for 3 years now and the plays don't look much different. Something has got to give. It goes back to trying to fit a traingle block in the square hole. Time to try something different, new OC, new OL coach and a new approach to running the football.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='718922' date='Oct 28 2008, 01:22 PM']Complements on blocking the best DL in the game in any fashion are good.

But I agree with Jason they needed to adapt to what they have on the line and that hasn't happend. I'm a hockey player, not a football player so I don't know the in's and outs of OL blocking schemes, but I know enough to understand that there are different schools on how to set up blocking for the run game.
Its why teams like Den, Pitt, Indy (up until this year) and Atl always have successful run games despite carousels at OL and RB.

I can't tell you what scheme we are running, or which other one they should try, but we've been running into walls for 3 years now and the plays don't look much different. Something has got to give. It goes back to trying to fit a traingle block in the square hole. Time to try something different, new OC, new OL coach and a new approach to running the football.[/quote]

Someone mentioned they are trying new zone blocking schemes that untill this year they had never run before. Perhaps thats part of it.

Archived