Does no one like hockey around here... at ALL?

My 3.6 year old seems to love EVERY sport on the planet, so i wanted t take him to a hockey game and let him see it played live. so i looked up hockey tickets, and for games just a week or so from now, you can get front row center ice next to penalty box from ticket master..

that seems insane..

youd think SOMEONE would care enough to go..

are the games totally empty or what?

or am i missing something....

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='722846' date='Nov 10 2008, 07:21 PM']they suck this year. they lost like 5 of their starters.[/quote]
They suckED. Past tense. Started the season 0-3-1-0, but are undefeated in their last 6 games. Current record stands at 4-3-1-2. So, they are getting better fast.

I love hockey and love going to Cyclones games. I was at the home opener this year, but being in Dayton, I can't get to as many games as I would like. It's hard to get people excited about a minor league team, but as far as they go, the Clones have been doing quite well on attendance lately.

US Bank Arena is very big for a minor league team, too. That's why it always looks empty in there. Put the same number of people in the Gardens where Cincinnati hockey was meant to be played, and it looks like a sellout every night.

FYI - did you know that the Cincy Gardens was modeled after Maple Leaf Gardens?

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='723012' date='Nov 11 2008, 03:50 PM']They suckED. Past tense. Started the season 0-3-1-0, but are undefeated in their last 6 games. Current record stands at 4-3-1-2. So, they are getting better fast.

I love hockey and love going to Cyclones games. I was at the home opener this year, but being in Dayton, I can't get to as many games as I would like. It's hard to get people excited about a minor league team, but as far as they go, the Clones have been doing quite well on attendance lately.

US Bank Arena is very big for a minor league team, too. That's why it always looks empty in there. Put the same number of people in the Gardens where Cincinnati hockey was meant to be played, and it looks like a sellout every night.

FYI - did you know that the Cincy Gardens was modeled after Maple Leaf Gardens?[/quote]

I went to a Bombers game last year when they were in first place and there was maybe 1000 people there and that was being generous.

Hockey must be a tough Sell in Ohio. I went to two blue Jackets games this past weekend and there were plenty of empty seats. Too bad too, because the team is getting better, would actually be in the playoffs if they started today. Hopefully they can play really well this year and build some excitement. My wife and I definately plan on attending a few more games this year. Nose bleeds aren't bad seats and can be had for around 20 to 25 bucks.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='723320' date='Nov 12 2008, 04:52 PM']Hockey must be a tough Sell in Ohio. I went to two blue Jackets games this past weekend and there were plenty of empty seats. Too bad too, because the team is getting better, would actually be in the playoffs if they started today. Hopefully they can play really well this year and build some excitement. My wife and I definately plan on attending a few more games this year. Nose bleeds aren't bad seats and can be had for around 20 to 25 bucks.[/quote]

Oddly, Miami U has one of the best collegiate hockey programs in the country. I have a cousin in Boston who dreams of playing for the Redhawks.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='723320' date='Nov 12 2008, 04:52 PM']Hockey must be a tough Sell in Ohio. I went to two blue Jackets games this past weekend and there were plenty of empty seats. Too bad too, because the team is getting better, would actually be in the playoffs if they started today. Hopefully they can play really well this year and build some excitement. My wife and I definately plan on attending a few more games this year. Nose bleeds aren't bad seats and can be had for around 20 to 25 bucks.[/quote]
It is, and always has been. Except in Cleveland. It's fairly popular there. It always baffled me why the NHL decided to put a franchise in Columbus instead of Cleveland, except that I'm sure they were trying to capture the entire state as a market.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
[quote name='ccartman2' post='723320' date='Nov 12 2008, 06:52 PM']Hockey must be a tough Sell in Ohio. I went to two blue Jackets games this past weekend and there were plenty of empty seats. Too bad too, because the team is getting better, would actually be in the playoffs if they started today. Hopefully they can play really well this year and build some excitement. My wife and I definately plan on attending a few more games this year. Nose bleeds aren't bad seats and can be had for around 20 to 25 bucks.[/quote]

Got to love quoting yourself, but they did make the playoffs this year. If you can get to C-Bus and remotely like Hockey and can get a ticket, support our Ohio Team. They are actually a lot better then the 6th seed (or 7th or 8th if they finish there) and will likely make at least the 2nd round. Mason is a stud at Goalie and the team has really gelled. This is a team that could win the cup if they can manage to get past Detroit and San Jose (Who I think is a bit weaker then their record to do their poor division).

Of course, FUCK EM if they play the Flames. Go FLAMES GO!!!!

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='732036' date='Dec 13 2008, 06:28 PM']Hockey is great when your there, and blows on TV[/quote]

Get High Def. In High Def you can actually see th puck. But yeah, it is better live.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='762418' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:49 AM']Got to love quoting yourself, but they did make the playoffs this year. If you can get to C-Bus and remotely like Hockey and can get a ticket, support our Ohio Team. [b]They are actually a lot better then the 6th seed (or 7th or 8th if they finish there) and will likely make at least the 2nd round. Mason is a stud at Goalie and the team has really gelled.[/b] This is a team that could win the cup if they can manage to get past Detroit and San Jose (Who I think is a bit weaker then their record to do their poor division).

Of course, FUCK EM if they play the Flames. Go FLAMES GO!!!!

Get High Def. In High Def you can actually see th puck. But yeah, it is better live.[/quote]

They are better than their seeding, although I was pissed when I heard that they won last night. I thought up 2, the 'Hawks had that game in the bag last night.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='762418' date='Apr 9 2009, 01:49 AM']Get High Def. In High Def you can actually see th puck. But yeah, it is better live.[/quote]
A true statement. Not just because you can see the puck (I never had a problem, don't know why others do), but because of the camera work. To truly appreciate a hockey game you have to see the whole rink and watch everything thats going on. On TV, the cameramen try to follow the puck and zoom way in. You end up missing half the action. In high def, even when they zoom in, the widescreen format allows you a better field of view. I've watched more hockey on TV in the three months since I got HD than I have in the last three years combined.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='763130' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:35 PM']A true statement. Not just because you can see the puck (I never had a problem, don't know why others do), but because of the camera work. To truly appreciate a hockey game you have to see the whole rink and watch everything thats going on. On TV, the cameramen try to follow the puck and zoom way in. You end up missing half the action. In high def, even when they zoom in, the widescreen format allows you a better field of view. I've watched more hockey on TV in the three months since I got HD than I have in the last three years combined.[/quote]

Before I got my Hi-Def I heard some one on ESPN say the High Def was made for Hockey, because it made the game so much better. I thought it was fluff, but it really adds to the game.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='766416' date='Apr 23 2009, 01:27 PM']Before I got my Hi-Def I heard some one on ESPN say the High Def was made for Hockey, because it made the game so much better. I thought it was fluff, but it really adds to the game.[/quote]
I've been watching HD feeds of the playoffs. First time I've been able to watch hockey in at least 4 years. I'd forgotten how much I love the Stanley Cup playoffs. For a sport that I've never played once, I never fail to be completely enthralled watching playoff hockey.

Oh. And GO CAPS!! :headbang:

[quote name='GoBengals' post='722497' date='Nov 8 2008, 12:38 PM']My 3.6 year old seems to love EVERY sport on the planet, so i wanted t take him to a hockey game and let him see it played live. so i looked up hockey tickets, and for games just a week or so from now, you can get front row center ice next to penalty box from ticket master..

that seems insane..

youd think SOMEONE would care enough to go..

are the games totally empty or what?

or am i missing something....[/quote]

I am a HUGE hockey fan... even if I do live in Florida... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
So I had the priviledge attending the Blackhawks / Canucks playoff game last night. The Hawk's clinched the series with the win, and it was the SICKEST third period I've ever witnessed. Canucks go up 4-3...'Hawks tie...Canucks go up 5-4...Hawks tie...Then the Hawks score twice in rapid fashion and the place blew up. Effin' electric! I took some decent pics...can you post on here from facebook???

I can't get into hockey. I appreciate it, and the toughness of the players, how it's a difficult sport to play well, but at the end of the day....I just can't like it.

It can be fun to watch during the playoffs, but I just can't get myself to care enough to....well, care.

Archived