Bought a 2nd Body and a Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash

Well my wife and I have been butting heads about our XSI for some time, we had a backup XTi for a while but sold it for money for a 2nd body and ended up paying taxes with it instead, SOOO i finally got another body.. another XSi. got it on ebay brand new from a good trusted seller for $585-600 (score!) and I just bought a Brand new canon speedlite 580ex II flash, seemingly the best most professional flash canon makes. for about $380 ( score again!)

i should have them late this coming week. pretty excited to each have our own body, i can take my zoom lens and leave her the macro and standard lens for her needs....

however i cant find a hip bag thatll fit my xsi with 70-300MM lens attached, i bought one thatl CLOSE, but it doesnt realy FIT...

Well done...

I've got two 580 EX II flashes... they're really nice. Really take away any shadow.

Now, you just practice and work to see what works best for you from a lighting perspective.

Suggestion - don't know if the XSi can do it or not, but set the flash to hit 1 1/3 stops ahead and your pictures should be magic.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='722554' date='Nov 9 2008, 12:21 AM']Well done...

I've got two 580 EX II flashes... they're really nice. Really take away any shadow.

Now, you just practice and work to see what works best for you from a lighting perspective.

Suggestion - don't know if the XSi can do it or not, but set the flash to hit 1 1/3 stops ahead and your pictures should be magic.[/quote]

thanks, i welcome all tips, and hints, i have never ever used a real flash before.. so im sure there will be a LOT of trial and error.

my wife recently did a wedding (small and for family who wasnt gonna pay for a photographer) and we didnt have the flash. and she didnt use a monopod/tripod. so they werent as crisp as I would ahve liked, but I wasnt there, and they didnt do many large prints, so it went ok, but using the silk paper made them look much better, the glossy vs silk is amazing difference in brightness and quality overall.

but a flash would have done WONDERS for the inside shots, and a monopod would ahve solved any and all other issues.

are those defusers (sp?) worth a damn?, and if so, whats its purpose exactly?

thanks again for the tips.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='722559' date='Nov 9 2008, 01:38 AM']thanks, i welcome all tips, and hints, i have never ever used a real flash before.. so im sure there will be a LOT of trial and error.

my wife recently did a wedding (small and for family who wasnt gonna pay for a photographer) and we didnt have the flash. and she didnt use a monopod/tripod. so they werent as crisp as I would ahve liked, but I wasnt there, and they didnt do many large prints, so it went ok, but using the silk paper made them look much better, the glossy vs silk is amazing difference in brightness and quality overall.

but a flash would have done WONDERS for the inside shots, and a monopod would ahve solved any and all other issues.

are those defusers (sp?) worth a damn?, and if so, whats its purpose exactly?

thanks again for the tips.[/quote]

if you're talking about a flash diffuser they help to soften the light a little so it isn't so "harsh". Now, I stay away from weddings (just something about having to deal with a woman on their most important day of their lives!!). But, I have a friend that does about 2 a month. He'll usually shoot 20-30 with a diffuser on their which gives it that "hazy" look at the edges of everything... just another element to offer to the potential customer to purchase!

Since you've got the rebel and separate flash - go ahead and get the flash bracket (I use Stroboframe) and off-shoe cord so that you can rotate between portrait and landscape and the flash is always over the lens.

you'll always want to shoot with a flash - it removes shadows... from there it is just a matter of figuring out how far ahead to have it hit so it doesn't blow out the image. And, yes, the silk paper is nice for wedding. Also, try a couple prints (of the bride and the dress) on metallic paper... they typically look really, really nice.

One other thing... if you're going to attempt to get into the market of wedding photography - get yourself a contract that you and the customer sign and collect a retainer fee, or down payment. Also, this contract should spell out that the limit of your liability is the amount that the bride / groom party has paid you, no more. But, aside from that, you had better get yourself some liability insurance so your protected in the event that you'd not be able to produce any photos from the whole event... I know of a person that was required to "re-create" the whole day - fly out of town guests back in, etc., rent all the stuff, etc. at his expense to re-shoot the wedding.

Just be careful.

Archived