Kelly says he's happy with Bearcats

Bengal Migration

[quote]CINCINNATI -- Coach Brian Kelly says he's happy with the steps No. 13 Cincinnati is taking to upgrade its football facilities, and he's not interested in any job elsewhere.

Kelly met Tuesday with the school's president, athletic director and the head of its board of trustees to get an update on their plans to improve Cincinnati's football stadium and practice fields. He was upbeat after the meeting, saying there was no reason to listen to other job offers.

Kelly has been mentioned as a candidate for numerous job openings as soon as the Bearcats finished No. 17 in his first year.

The Bearcats (10-2) won the Big East title this season, sending them to the first BCS bowl in school history. A win Saturday at Hawaii would set a school record for victories in a season.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3739515"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3739515[/url]

Gotta be happy to see this!

[quote]Brian Kelly says he's staying
Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 12:38 PM EST [Bearcats]

In the middle of a press confernece with Brian Kelly and Mike Thomas.

The two, along with Jeff Wyler and Nancy Zimpher, met this morning.

"I’m here to tell you, that I’m committed to the University of Cincinnati," Kelly said.

Also, "All I can say is, with all the speculation and the jobs that are out there, sometime or later, no means no. No one ever speaks in terms of forever and forever. There’s been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons."

[b]* Mike Thomas said Nippert is being expanded.[/b]

More to come later.

* UPDATE: Mike Thomas said there were three parts of the meeting:

[b]1. practice facilities and indoor facilities -- those are on track, he said.[/b]

[b]2. 'operation pieces' -- "There’s a laundry list of those things and they’re going to happen." Basically a bigger budget.[/b]

[b]3. The expansion of Nippert Stadium, including more seats, luxury boxes and infrastructure such as restrooms and concession stands.[/b]

This is the "trigger moment to launch that thing."

"I think you can't put a price tag on what this has done for this program, this department, this university and this community," Thomas said.

Kelly said he was excited about the message he received in today's meeting with Thomas, Zimpher and Wyler.

"I too need the gas to run, and today my tank was filled," Kelly said.

Kelly said he's told other universities that he's not going to be interested in their jobs.

"My name has come out with virtually every job that's out there," Kelly said. "I'm hoping very soon Obama mentions my name as ambassadorship to Ireland, that would be nice. That may continue to[/quote]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent[/url]

I don't mean to burst any Bearcat fan's bubble...

but, this is non-news. They've got a bowl to play - therefore anything he says up until that bowl game is over is coach-speak. Has to be.

Once the game is over, and university of x comes to Kelly and offers him $2-2.5 million / year guaranteed in a 5 year contract, he's gone. Happens all the time.

Read his lips "I will not be the next head coach of Alabama"... from Saban. Viola~ a couple days later he's being announced as Alabama's coach. It happens to NFL teams and it happens to college teams.

I wouldn't get too excited until about January 15th if he's still there. Then you can feel pretty confident that he's not going anywhere for next season.

[quote][size=5][b]Kelly says he's staying at UC[/b][/size]
[size=4][b]Nippert renovation announced[/b][/size]
By Bill Koch and Cliff Peale • bkoch@enquirer.com, cpeale@enquirer.com • December 2, 2008

Brian Kelly said today that he plans to stay at the University of Cincinnati as the head football coach, and along with athletic director Mike Thomas announced plans for a massive renovation of Nippert Stadium.

Kelly has become one of the hottest coaches in the country after leading UC to the Big East championship in just his second season as head coach, and he told the Enquirer Monday night that he had been contacted by several schools, including the University of Washington.

Today, he moved toward putting to rest speculation that he might leave.

“There’s been a lot of interest in my services, but I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati for the right reasons," he said. "My family loves it here. I’ve got good people to work with. It’s a really good situation, and it’s only going to get better.”

Kelly met with Thomas, UC president Nancy Zimpher, and Jeff Wyler, chair of the university's board of trustees.

Among the topics of discussion was the renovation of Nippert Stadium. Thomas said plans include adding additional seats, premium seating such as club seats and luxury suites, and improved infrastructure such as more restrooms and concessions.

Thomas said these improvements have been on his radar for several years, but the football team’s success this year and impending bid to a major bowl game put things on the fast track.

“We really needed a trigger moment to launch this things,” Thomas said.

Kelly said discussions about his contract are also ongoing.

He acknowledged that his name will probably continue to come up as other schools look for head football coaches.

“That may continue to happen, but I can tell you I’m going to be here at the University of Cincinnati,” he said.

Wyler said Wednesday marks two years to the day since he and Thomas and Zimpher and a couple of others interviewed Kelly in East Lansing, Michigan and offered him the UC job.

"It's very important to the university," Wyler said. "What Brian is talking about is making the University of Cincinnati football program one that is in the major leagues. Not the biggest program, but one that competes in the major leagues. He's not asking for anything unreasonable."

Wyler said the money for new practice fields should be raised by the end of December and that the athletic department still has to write a budget for the Nippert renovations.

All the money will have to be raised privately because of UC's tight budget and the probability of a state budget cut in the next several months. It will be part of UC's capital campaign, which runs for five more years and has a $1 billion goal.

"That's always been on the drawing board, but it's been fast-tracked a lot quicker because things got better a lot quicker," Wyler said of the stadium renovation. "There's certainly a lot of interest out there in helping UC football."

Wyler also addressed the likelihood that, with continued success, Kelly will remain an attractive candidate for other schools.

"Whether Brian Kelly is here or not, this has to be done," he said. "If there's a next coach soon, the next coach will say, 'If I'm going to compete in the Big East, I need Big East facilities.' "[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081202/SPT0101/312020081/1064"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2008120.../312020081/1064[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='729309' date='Dec 2 2008, 03:43 PM']I don't mean to burst any Bearcat fan's bubble...

but, this is non-news. They've got a bowl to play - therefore anything he says up until that bowl game is over is coach-speak. Has to be.

Once the game is over, and university of x comes to Kelly and offers him $2-2.5 million / year guaranteed in a 5 year contract, he's gone. Happens all the time.

Read his lips "I will not be the next head coach of Alabama"... from Saban. Viola~ a couple days later he's being announced as Alabama's coach. It happens to NFL teams and it happens to college teams.

I wouldn't get too excited until about January 15th if he's still there. Then you can feel pretty confident that he's not going anywhere for next season.[/quote]

I dunno. He's got a much better setup ruling the Big East than going to a middle of the pack SEC or Big 12 team. If he leaves, it will be for money and not for a more realistic shot at a NC.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='729309' date='Dec 2 2008, 03:43 PM']I don't mean to burst any Bearcat fan's bubble...

I wouldn't get too excited until about January 15th if he's still there. Then you can feel pretty confident that he's not going anywhere for next season.[/quote]

Obviously, nothing is certain, and coaches in general come off as very untrustworthy and deceptive when it suits them. But, for every outrageous dirtball shitbag out there - Bobby Petrino comes to mind, actually telephoning the Auburn AD pitching himself for the job, all the while denying it - maybe there is an 'opposite number.' As I read elsewhere, Kelly's ambitions are what suit him for the job, and will eventually lead him away. But it will likely not be immediately, because he doesn't consider his job 'done,' and as an ambitious and self-confident man he knows he can wait for a first-choice opening.

The only school that worries me now is Notre Dame, primarily because of the whole 'Irish' thing (it's retarded, I know, but some psychological association remains), and because of the laughable acts he will be able to follow there. Fortunately, the prospect of having Regis Philbin constantly bothering you and offering to give your team 'pep talks' should drive off any rational man, which I believe Kelly to be.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='729315' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:31 PM']I dunno. He's got a much better setup ruling the Big East than going to a middle of the pack SEC or Big 12 team. If he leaves, it will be for money and not for a more realistic shot at a NC.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. It would be only for money... but UC would be wise to throw the money at him and show interest in him because the Big East is the perfect place to rule the roost if he could build a solid program.

Anybody that intentionally would want to become a coach in the East division of the SEC (or the SEC at all) knowing that you have to go against Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, (in UT's case) Saban, in rotating years Houston Nutt, Miles, Petrino is one of two things...

either egotistical as hell or a fool.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='729326' date='Dec 2 2008, 07:06 PM']Obviously, nothing is certain, and coaches in general come off as very untrustworthy and deceptive when it suits them. But, for every outrageous dirtball shitbag out there - Bobby Petrino comes to mind, actually telephoning the Auburn AD pitching himself for the job, all the while denying it - maybe there is an 'opposite number.' As I read elsewhere, Kelly's ambitions are what suit him for the job, and will eventually lead him away. But it will likely not be immediately, because he doesn't consider his job 'done,' and as an ambitious and self-confident man he knows he can wait for a first-choice opening.

The only school that worries me now is Notre Dame, primarily because of the whole 'Irish' thing (it's retarded, I know, but some psychological association remains), and because of the laughable acts he will be able to follow there. Fortunately, the prospect of having Regis Philbin constantly bothering you and offering to give your team 'pep talks' should drive off any rational man, which I believe Kelly to be.[/quote]

My dad and I had this argument this past weekend. He still believes the ND job is a "primo" job...

I called bullshit. It just isn't anymore. Granted they have a huge following - but when things are going bad that is a bad thing. And, with their enrollment restrictions they're at a huge disadvantage... they enroll the same student as the Vandy / Duke's of the world but are expected to play and compete against the USC's, Michigan's, Florida's, top 10 programs in the country...

not happening. That job just doesn't have the same luster it once did.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='729352' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:36 PM']I agree with you 100%. It would be only for money... but UC would be wise to throw the money at him and show interest in him because the Big East is the perfect place to rule the roost if he could build a solid program.

Anybody that intentionally would want to become a coach in the East division of the SEC (or the SEC at all) knowing that you have to go against Meyer, Richt, Spurrier, (in UT's case) Saban, in rotating years Houston Nutt, Miles, Petrino is one of two things...

either egotistical as hell or a fool.

My dad and I had this argument this past weekend. He still believes the ND job is a "primo" job...

I called bullshit. It just isn't anymore. [b]Granted they have a huge following [/b]- but when things are going bad that is a bad thing. And, with their enrollment restrictions they're at a huge disadvantage... they enroll the same student as the Vandy / Duke's of the world but are expected to play and compete against the USC's, Michigan's, Florida's, top 10 programs in the country...

not happening. That job just doesn't have the same luster it once did.[/quote]

I'd even argue that their following is down. I'm sure the bandwagoners are long gone. Its not cool to root for ND anymore. I'd be curious to see what their ratings look like compared to say 4 years ago.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='729352' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:36 PM']My dad and I had this argument this past weekend. He still believes the ND job is a "primo" job...

I called bullshit. It just isn't anymore. Granted they have a huge following - but when things are going bad that is a bad thing. And, with their enrollment restrictions they're at a huge disadvantage... they enroll the same student as the Vandy / Duke's of the world but are expected to play and compete against the USC's, Michigan's, Florida's, top 10 programs in the country...

not happening. That job just doesn't have the same luster it once did.[/quote]

I'm going to have to turn the tables and call bullshit on your bullshit. ND is having no problem whatsoever recruiting players. Year in and year out, their recruiting classes are top 10 when they're losing and even better when they don't suck. They don't have a problem getting talent in there.

This is really just an auxilliary point, though. What I really take issue with is the notion that Notre Dame's players are a cut above the rest, academically and personally. This reeks of the excuse given by the big 10 commissioner / president / whatever after OSU got its shit packed 2x in a row against the SEC, saying that SEC players are dumber, not real students, not up to the big 10's scratch, etc. I happen to have a personal experience with ND's "lofty" standards. A friend of mine - he can identify himself if he so chooses - was a TA in the UC History Department, and brought home a photocopy of the 1st page of a student's essay (a discussion of Machiavelli's "The Prince") which was being passed around the Graduate Student Office for its comedic value.

Name: "Demetius Jones" [sic]

Yes. He spelled his name wrong - Notre Dame's starting QB who had recently transferred to UC after Jimmy Claussen was given his job. And this was not even the 'funny part' - that would be the body of the essay, wherein this student-athlete (cut from Notre Dame cloth, mind you) breaks enough grammatical laws for a life sentence with the most hilariously-bad writing and skewed, irrational arguments I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The kid's a dumbass. And don't get me wrong - I'm tickled to have him on the 'Cats if he plays well; after all, he's [i]our[/i] dumbass now. But I'm not going to delude anyone by saying he's up to anyone's higher standard.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='729362' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:56 PM']I'd even argue that their following is down. I'm sure the bandwagoners are long gone. Its not cool to root for ND anymore. I'd be curious to see what their ratings look like compared to say 4 years ago.[/quote]

The ratings are undoubtedly horrible, but their average fans are like the cubs - won't hear a peep from them (won't even know they're fans!) when they suck, but they'll be coming out of the woodwork when it becomes fashionable, and every midwestern douchenozzle will be pulling out his trendy clover-leaf hat.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='729388' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:01 PM']I'm going to have to turn the tables and call bullshit on your bullshit. ND is having no problem whatsoever recruiting players. Year in and year out, their recruiting classes are top 10 when they're losing and even better when they don't suck. They don't have a problem getting talent in there.[/quote]

I'm going to turn the tables again and call bullshit on your calling bullshit on Vol's original bullshit. Scout.com/Rivals.com rankings mean little. History has shown that players that commit to ND tend to get bumped up a star because ND is heavily interested in them. Did you watch the ND/USC game? Those athletes weren't even CLOSE to being comparable, at all. Weiss has had his time to get his guys in there, and you're right, his recruiting classes have been highly ranked by scouting services, but the product on the field isn't just a lack of coaching, it's a lack of athleticism. They got shut out by BC, lost to Syracuse at home, there's no way Weiss just completely spoiled all these highly ranked classes. They were just far, far overrated. The best athletes go to warm weather schools. You don't have to go to ND to play on TV anymore, haven't for a while. That's why they'll never be legitimate national title contenders, any time in the foreseeable future, unless something drastic happens. Cowherd brought up the point that ND has been reluctant to move away from a pro-style, I-formation offense with a pocket QB, and into a more spread out, match-up offense with an athletic QB, something OSU has done with a lot of success.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='729388' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:01 PM']I'm going to have to turn the tables and call bullshit on your bullshit. ND is having no problem whatsoever recruiting players. [b] Year in and year out, their recruiting classes are top 10 when they're losing and even better when they don't suck. They don't have a problem getting talent in there.[/b][/quote]

lol you really believe that don't you?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='729403' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:41 AM']I'm going to turn the tables again and call bullshit on your calling bullshit on Vol's original bullshit. Scout.com/Rivals.com rankings mean little. History has shown that players that commit to ND tend to get bumped up a star because ND is heavily interested in them. Did you watch the ND/USC game? Those athletes weren't even CLOSE to being comparable, at all. Weiss has had his time to get his guys in there, and you're right, his recruiting classes have been highly ranked by scouting services, but the product on the field isn't just a lack of coaching, it's a lack of athleticism. They got shut out by BC, lost to Syracuse at home, there's no way Weiss just completely spoiled all these highly ranked classes. They were just far, far overrated. The best athletes go to warm weather schools. You don't have to go to ND to play on TV anymore, haven't for a while. That's why they'll never be legitimate national title contenders, any time in the foreseeable future, unless something drastic happens. Cowherd brought up the point that ND has been reluctant to move away from a pro-style, I-formation offense with a pocket QB, and into a more spread out, match-up offense with an athletic QB, something OSU has done with a lot of success.[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='729414' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:53 AM']lol you really believe that don't you?[/quote]

GTG... these two pretty much nail my thoughts on your post.

I grew up a ND fan - went to private catholic school from 1st grade up through 12th... hell a coach from my high school (granted before I got there) coached at Notre Dame - Gerry Faust.

Notre Dame isn't "year in and year out" getting top 10 classes... if you think so you're going to have to prove it. They had one and that was because Jimmy Claussen went there and was the consensus #1 overall player. But, you're pointing to recruiting services that are subjective as hell anyway and various players when they commit to certain schools magically jump up a star shortly thereafter...

All you need to do is look at the games when Notre Dame is playing top tier (top ranked) teams. They get it handed to them. And, they even look slower and less athletic.

When was the last time Notre Dame was even competitive in a bowl game?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='729422' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:30 AM']GTG... these two pretty much nail my thoughts on your post.

I grew up a ND fan - went to private catholic school from 1st grade up through 12th... hell a coach from my high school (granted before I got there) coached at Notre Dame - Gerry Faust.

Notre Dame isn't "year in and year out" getting top 10 classes... [b]if you think so you're going to have to prove it[/b]. They had one and that was because Jimmy Claussen went there and was the consensus #1 overall player. But, you're pointing to recruiting services that are subjective as hell anyway and various players when they commit to certain schools magically jump up a star shortly thereafter...

All you need to do is look at the games when Notre Dame is playing top tier (top ranked) teams. They get it handed to them. And, they even look slower and less athletic.

When was the last time Notre Dame was even competitive in a bowl game?[/quote]

Vol et al, your points are well-taken. I will emphasize, though, that (as I noted) the level of talent recruited by ND is not my principal point, but rather an auxilliary one; I mainly took issue with the implication that Notre Dame's football players are profoundly different from those at other schools where that sport is emphasized.

With regard to the bolded statement, obviously it is difficult or even impossible to effectively rank recruiting classes. Further, I do realize that ranking and numerically comparing athletes, particularly at a high school level, is a stupid and frivolous activity which happens because people nonetheless love reading how great their school's next class is. The problem is, there are very few other metrics available. I don't believe performance once in school is necessarily a good indicator of the player's 'value' or 'prestige' as a recruit. Take Jimmy Claussen, for example - a consensus top-of-the-class recruit whom everybody wanted. He has done nothing but suck; however, this doesn't necessarily mean Claussen should have been rated lower. There is a great deal of coaching which must be done to transform a player from the high school level to college.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='729548' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:36 PM']Vol et al, your points are well-taken. I will emphasize, though, that (as I noted) the level of talent recruited by ND is not my principal point, but rather an auxilliary one; I mainly took issue with the implication that Notre Dame's football players are profoundly different from those at other schools where that sport is emphasized.

With regard to the bolded statement, obviously it is difficult or even impossible to effectively rank recruiting classes. Further, I do realize that ranking and numerically comparing athletes, particularly at a high school level, is a stupid and frivolous activity which happens because people nonetheless love reading how great their school's next class is. The problem is, there are very few other metrics available. I don't believe performance once in school is necessarily a good indicator of the player's 'value' or 'prestige' as a recruit. Take Jimmy Claussen, for example - a consensus top-of-the-class recruit whom everybody wanted. He has done nothing but suck; however, this doesn't necessarily mean Claussen should have been rated lower. There is a great deal of coaching which must be done to transform a player from the high school level to college.[/quote]

I'll agree that ND players aren't "profoundly" different... but there is a difference. Just like there is at Vanderbilt and Duke, etc. I'm a Tennessee fan - we're not recruiting Rhodes Scholars to play football either...

As for ranking recruiting... the services that rank classes as they come in are stupid - it is popularity with the schools... since people are so stuck on "ranking" them period then the only way to do so effectively would be to rank them about 2-3 years after the class has initially enrolled. Yes, that brings the coaching variable etc. into it, but you had that with their high school coach so that is something you just have to live with or don't rank at all. The most telling point is look at it with your own eyes... compare team x (in this case ND) to the top 10 teams (when they play them) and compare player to player, athlete to athlete... you can see who is more talented, etc. it typically stands out pretty well.

Archived